69 replies to this topic

#21 greywolf79

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCedar City, UT

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Unfortunately a new computer is not an option. I do not have the cash. I just bought this computer, and though it is a few years old it is still nicer than my brand new laptops for power. I can upgrade the ram (depending on the motherboard it has I can max it at either 4 or 8 gb). I mostly do office related work so it is fine for everything else - I just would like to play occasional MWO games and not have it super choppy. On the laptop I can move but when I see other players I do not actually see them, my video is too week to keep up and so I get wasted just trying to approach a fight.

For now, I guess MWO has lost a fan. I will wait for an alternative that does not require so much power as to eliminate a lot of people. I am a long time fan of the series and have heard non-stop complaints especially concerning the high level requirements for the system to run it...

#22 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

The most important items for this game

1. Graphics Card
2. System Ram
3. CPU

Some of you people have decent cpus and ram but your graphics card SUCK.

#23 Davis Early

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Limbo

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ok, sooo... Can anyone provide a link to the Min/rec system requirements? I've only registered tonight, and haven't found that particular link in all the stuff I'm looking over thus far. Debating the whole cost of updating the old Desktop myself these days, but I can't find anything about the Rec'd specs anywhere, and I'd like to take those into consideration when I go to look new towers over.

#24 Dragoon20005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PostDavis Early, on 20 August 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Ok, sooo... Can anyone provide a link to the Min/rec system requirements? I've only registered tonight, and haven't found that particular link in all the stuff I'm looking over thus far. Debating the whole cost of updating the old Desktop myself these days, but I can't find anything about the Rec'd specs anywhere, and I'd like to take those into consideration when I go to look new towers over.

look at my latest guide

http://mwomercs.com/...is-pc-play-mwo/

pretty much covers the current system requiement to play MW:O

#25 Davis Early

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Limbo

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Spanks, Dragon!

#26 Troggy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 213 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Postthekler, on 05 November 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

I have 3.6 ghz processor (AMD FX™-4100 quad processor)
8.00 gb ram (3.25 usable)
32 bit windows 7
ATI Radeon HD 5400 series display adapter (video card)

I have turned the game on lowest settings and brought my resolution (usually 1920x1080) to the lowest the game offers, and it is still too laggy to play, also used game booster which improves FPS on my games, still, very hard to play. Walking around with nothing going on is ok, but with mechs fighting and moving it becomes pointless Posted Image
Upgrade here I come!

2 things. 1) Download the 64 Bit Edition of Windows that you own. You can do the digital river thing (Microsoft's download provider - google it), a torrent, or you can call Microsoft and they will send you a disk (for a very small fee). All of the Win 7 licences cover either the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows as long as you run ONLY ONE COPY. It's pretty crazy to sacrifice 5/8 of your RAM, by having the wrong version. And besides, your computer could probably use a reformat anyway.

2) Radeon 5400 is a pretty hurtin' video card. It's never going to be spectacular. If this is a laptop, you are gonna have to live with crappy performance. If it's a desktop, get a better video card.

View PostDragoon20005, on 19 August 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I believe your PC is the following

http://www.pcworld.c...spiron-530.html

but sad to say even E4400 core 2 duo isn't gonna help improve gameplay

my older desktop with has a Core 2 Duo at 2.53GHz and Geforce 8600GT gives me bad frame rate and it was close to the lowest system requirement.

maybe it time to look into a brand new desktop

Yup, he needs to get a new computer. Your computer is a tonne better than that Inspiron you linked - which is a low range desktop from half a decade ago. I suspect asking a budget machine from 2008 to run much of anything is a stretch. I have a 10 MHz 8086 in my basement from ca. 1984. It was top of the line then, but I pretty sure it also won't run MWO.

--
Troggy

#27 Brother MEX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 407 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostTroggy, on 21 August 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

... I suspect asking a budget machine from 2008 to run much of anything is a stretch. I have a 10 MHz 8086 in my basement from ca. 1984. It was top of the line then, but I pretty sure it also won't run MWO.

--
Troggy
You need at least a Pentium D CPU and at least a GeForce 650M for playing MWO !
On a Pentium 4 or older you get less than 5 Frames per Secound :D

Edited by Brother MEX, 22 August 2013 - 08:17 AM.

#28 v4skunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

View PostSaxophonist, on 09 August 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

The graphics will probably suffice, but that CPU and 2 gig of RAM is not gonna make the game happy. I would get at least 6 gig and a 2.4 ghz minimum processor.

How can he have 6gig of RAM on a 32bit operating system?
32bit OS can only use 3.25gig......

Edited by v4skunk, 26 August 2013 - 05:18 AM.

#29 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

View Postv4skunk, on 26 August 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

How can he have 6gig of RAM on a 32bit operating system?
32bit OS can only use 3.25gig......

The OS issue can be fixed with a simple reinstall with the 64-bit version. The bigger question is why someone would ever choose to use 6GB of RAM in a system with daul-channel memory.

#30 greywolf79

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • LocationCedar City, UT

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

So I ended up with a slightly different system than originally planned. I picked up a Dell Optiplex 760. Though it came with a Celeron 450 CPU, I had a E7400 that I had already purchased. I also installed Windows 7 64 bit and bumped it to 3 gb ram. It is running a used EVGA GeForce GT 520 nvidia pci-express x16 video card with 1 gb video ram. I was able to run the game on medium settings. I cannot guarantee it was perfect, I lost the fight but it was mostly me being rusty from so long of no mech combat games for several months.

#31 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

The most important thing is that it seems to run okay to you. Still, you might want to compare FPS between low and medium sometime, see just how much performance you are or aren't missing.

#32 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

The most important items for this game

1. Graphics Card
2. System Ram
3. CPU

Not really. CPU seems to be the most important factor for MWONL.

Back on topic:
Before 12v12 my old system was just about enough to run MWONL at medium/high settings in 1080. I was running an OCed Core2 Quad 9300 with 2x2 GB DDR2 and a GTX460 on Vista 64. After the patch, I had to dramatically reduce almost all the eye-candy (except resolution) to be able to play. It worked - but smooth, it wasn't.

My new rig (i5 4670k, GTX660, 2x4 GB DDR3, Win 8 64 on an SSD) is probably more than what they'd call "recommended specs" and certainly more than minimum specs. It's still what I'd *personally* recommend though, since being able to play at a constant 60 - 80 FPS with no slowdowns really changes your experience in this (or any other action-/FPS-) game.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 23 September 2013 - 03:11 AM.

#33 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

View Post1Sascha, on 23 September 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Not really. CPU seems to be the most important factor for MWONL.

Back on topic:
Before 12v12 my old system was just about enough to run MWONL at medium/high settings in 1080. I was running an OCed Core2 Quad 9300 with 2x2 GB DDR2 and a GTX460 on Vista 64. After the patch, I had to dramatically reduce almost all the eye-candy (except resolution) to be able to play. It worked - but smooth, it wasn't.

My new rig (i5 4670k, GTX660, 2x4 GB DDR3, Win 8 64 on an SSD) is probably more than what they'd call "recommended specs" and certainly more than minimum specs. It's still what I'd *personally* recommend though, since being able to play at a constant 60 - 80 FPS with no slowdowns really changes your experience in this (or any other action-/FPS-) game.

S.

CPU is important yes a lot of features about Cryengine stretch the CPU to its limits but that's ONLY if you're running a GPU that is good enough to get to that point. I notice this trend in the posts I read (and i think this is what the person you quoted was alluding to) we have people commonly posting on here who have decent or good CPUs but they're trying to run the game with their integrated graphics or some horrible GPU.

Some people even THINK they have good GPUs because they bought a "gaming rig" from a big box store like best buy and they don't even know that on a true gaming rig your GPU can sometimes end up being half the cost of your entire setup! :)

With so many different components on the market its tough to find a good match of CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM that complement each other.

One last thing I feel the need to mention

The best dollar you will EVER spend on your PC is to buy an SSD.
I would never build another (serious) rig without one.

Edited by Wolf Ender, 23 September 2013 - 08:50 AM.

#34 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

MWO's situation is a little different than most games as far as the CPU vs GPU thing does. It'll bottleneck, on higher settings, on anything but a mid-high end GPU, yes, but it'll bottleneck, on any settings, on just about any CPU at stock clocks. My 3570k was okay at 4.2 before 12 mans, now it has had trouble keeping up again (by which I mean keeping ~60fps minimums).

If I had a crappy GPU, one could blame that on me getting overambitious with the game settings, but I don't; I have a 7970OC. The problem also occurs at all settings. In fact, up until recently, MWO could be effectively maxed out on very modest GPUs; a 5870 used to be just fine to run the game at the highest settings, and my old 5850 came close. Even my mobile 5730 (basically a desktop 5570) was able to run the game just fine on medium. Now those requirements have increased somewhat, but even so, it's hardly something that requires a super-beefy GPU to run, even at the highest settings, and far more startlingly as I mentioned before, the CPU requirements went up right along with the GPU requirements.

In short, running a GPU that's "good enough" to bottleneck even a good CPU is very, very easy in MWO.

Edited by Catamount, 23 September 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#35 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

The best dollar you will EVER spend on your PC is to buy an SSD.

Dunno if it's the *best* dollar you'll spend (wouldn't want to part with a good GFX-card, even though we could now do it thanks to integrated GFX), but: Yes.

A lot of folks told me not to bother with it, but I decided to buy one anyway, since I had seen an OS bootup comparison on youtube between SSD/HDD. The bootup-time alone is well worth the $$s/€€s spent, IMO. Especially in my case, since I could literally make coffee/breakfast and get dressed in the time it took my old Vista 64 to boot up from its HDD. But being able to launch power-hungry apps like Photoshop in a matter of seconds is also quite impressive.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 24 September 2013 - 01:33 AM.

#36 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

I enjoy my SSD, too, but it's not something that helps game performance. You'll be grateful for it if you have to reboot alot, or if you can fit an application onto it, but they are still pricey for loading down with games.

In many ways, the best use for an SSD is to convince a significant other how much better your new system is then the old one, thus bluffing them out of chewing your *** off for spending money atoll … :)

(See http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3269.html and http://www.tomshardw...ade,2778-3.html where it's noted "Frequent swap operations are poison to an SSD, possibly decreasing its speed.")

Edited by Goose, 09 October 2013 - 04:01 PM.
CoC violation

#37 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostMechDuster, on 09 August 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

The Minimum System Requirements..
My RAM is doing Hard Life for me!
But the bigger question is.. will my Computer run it?
A question to everyone who already played this game
with nearly these Requirements as mine please tell me
if it atleast runs smooth on the lowest settings or even a bit
higher..

System Specifications :
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6300 1.83 GHZ (Dual-Core)
Nvidia Geforce 450 GTS 1024MB DDR3
RAM 2GB
Windows 7 Ultimate - 32 BIT
Screen Resulolution (Very Important for minimum requirements) 1920x1080
1TB of Space (Is that even needed?)

Oh and.I dont have any games like Crysis 2 or something to try out
how my PC runs with Cryengine 3 games.

--EDIT--
Lowering the Resultion is nothing bad but will look horrible on my screen
If needed i still do it to play this game!

1.83 is not enough ghz. The CPU is Bottle necking your whole system, nothing else will have any impact on the performance.

Edited by Badconduct, 26 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#38 Uparmored Rickshaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostMechDuster, on 09 August 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

The Minimum System Requirements..
My RAM is doing Hard Life for me!
But the bigger question is.. will my Computer run it?
A question to everyone who already played this game
with nearly these Requirements as mine please tell me
if it atleast runs smooth on the lowest settings or even a bit
higher..

System Specifications :
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6300 1.83 GHZ (Dual-Core)
Nvidia Geforce 450 GTS 1024MB DDR3
RAM 2GB
Windows 7 Ultimate - 32 BIT
Screen Resulolution (Very Important for minimum requirements) 1920x1080
1TB of Space (Is that even needed?)

Oh and.I dont have any games like Crysis 2 or something to try out
how my PC runs with Cryengine 3 games.

--EDIT--
Lowering the Resultion is nothing bad but will look horrible on my screen
If needed i still do it to play this game!

My PC is as follows:

E8400
4GB of Mushkin Ascent PC8500 DDR2
XFX 7850
ASUS P5K-E
Original PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750w (not the crappy OCZ knockoffs of today)
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Modified NZXT Tempest with fan upgrades
1920x1080 is the native resolution of my ASUS 23" LCD

I run the game just fine. Your RAM and VC are your bottlenecks, as you should be able to slightly overclock your CPU a bit with the right cooler.

#39 Cyberpig

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

My rig is Intel q9450 with 8GB DDR2 RAM and 560Ti graphics. Have been stuck at 9 to 15 fps in every game. Tried running at different resolutions at minimum details but no noticeable change in fps. Is my rig too old for this game?

#40 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostCyberpig, on 09 October 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

My rig is Intel q9450 with 8GB DDR2 RAM and 560Ti graphics. Have been stuck at 9 to 15 fps in every game. Tried running at different resolutions at minimum details but no noticeable change in fps. Is my rig too old for this game?

If you're changing your settings to no effect, the it's a CPU bottle neck, Cyber. MWO should run better on that chip, but it's really going to do whatever it's going to do. MWO displays widely variable performance. You can probably get some more performance by overclocking your CPU, but who can say how far you'd get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users