#21 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

BattleMechs hands are quite usefull in Lore. They can be used to carry something, toss a bunch of stuff in a cargo net and it can carry that, though it is often just slung along the mechs back,

Oh look this big tree is in the way, well there, i just shoved it out of the way with my mechs hands. Maybe for MW fans, melee is nothing, but in Battletech it is a very real tactic! I for one am glad they are, once again, sticking nicely to Canon and adding those hands on the mechs!

#22 Felbombling

• 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

I love some of the arguments on this board. You've got people who have been playing table top for twenty plus years and then went into the computer games, while at the same time still enjoying their table top play. You have people who came to Battletech and Mechwarrior through the early video games, and then some people who did the same thing with the later versions of the video games. It is as if we have a room full of people aged eighteen to eighty, and they all want to watch something different on the T.V. This must be what prison is like.

#23 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

wait, wait... WHY are we complaining about hands, go click the media section... Atlas, Dragon, AND hunchback have hands. So far we have 4 with hands 2 with out... Hands are winning :lol:

#24 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

View PostCoffiNail, on 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yeah, i realize that now that you mention it. I think it was due to someone in another thread talking about a Battlemaster and auto cannons and for some reason i decided to splice the two together. lol. either way it can drop the big gun and pick it up... I really wanted to call it a BFG XD

Oddly enough, there actually is a Battlemaster variant out there with an LB-10X mounted in the torso, along with dual ER PPCs in the Right Arm. I can't quite remember what the details were about it, other than it was 95 tons, was jump capable, had TSM and a hatchet on a max armored frame. It even kept the quad mediums and SRM-6 for short range work. It was a really nasty piece of work to run into back in the day.

#25 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

View PostStaggerCheck, on 27 January 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I love some of the arguments on this board. You've got people who have been playing table top for twenty plus years and then went into the computer games, while at the same time still enjoying their table top play. You have people who came to Battletech and Mechwarrior through the early video games, and then some people who did the same thing with the later versions of the video games. It is as if we have a room full of people aged eighteen to eighty, and they all want to watch something different on the T.V. This must be what prison is like.

The back door pillaging will happen at Launch :lol:

#26 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostZakatak, on 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yes the human form certainly is. It can fight, write, dance, run, jump. But a Battlemech needs to do only 2 of those things. A Battlemech does not need to know how to draw, color, and write. It justs needs to move, fight and take punishment. There are plenty of species in nature that can do that better then we can.

Think of a an Ostrich. Fast, hardy, and dangerous. That is a good template.

The finite motor control of the arm and its ability to point accurately in a direction and having them be able to point in a different direction than where the torso is facing. Also punching and basic kick are part of battletech hence the hands (and supposedly will be part of MWO)

#27 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

That's a little dramatic isn't it OP? Seems kind of a silly litmus test in a game where you ride in an immense robot on top of a Mr.Fusion power plant. :lol:

#28 Chill

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

It doesn't mean a damn thing until we see some in game footage, or even a few in game screen shots.

For all we know this is just so much vaporware.

#29 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

What I could never get over is all the classic designs without arms. How the heck does a Locust, Cataplut, or Stalker get up when it falls down?

"Hey buddy? Excuse me? Mind flipping me over on my stomach? Thanks, thats great!"

Hands help with standing and balance by being able to push off. At least one hand makes a ton of sense. But mechs with no arms? Blech. Just my .02$

Cheers

#30 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

We've seen in game screen shots of the cockpit of the Hunchback. This isn't vaporware.

#31 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

What I could never get over is all the classic designs without arms. How the heck does a Locust, Cataplut, or Stalker get up when it falls down?

"Hey buddy? Excuse me? Mind flipping me over on my stomach? Thanks, thats great!"

Hands help with standing and balance by being able to push off. At least one hand makes a ton of sense. But mechs with no arms? Blech. Just my .02$

Cheers

Honestly? I've wondered that for literally decades and have never heard a legitimate answer given. I haven't got a clue.

#32 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostChill, on 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

It doesn't mean a damn thing until we see some in game footage, or even a few in game screen shots.

For all we know this is just so much vaporware.

You have 4 posts... so that means you are new, and hovering over your user name shows me you joined Jan 12th 2012. My friend, you are so wrong. The 2009 video was something different, that was them trying to get a publisher. THIS, MWO, is a thing of beauty. No, I have not seen anything you all have not... umm.. honest!

No, but go browse these forums a bit. These guys started work on this in the end of October, they are going to be giving the world a freaking fantastic reveal in March iirc. This is not vaporware, and it shows how much you have not bothered to look around the forums. Go read some of the Developer's blogs, Q&A in announcements, then come back and go. 'derp with out a screenshot, I think you are all just blowing smoke'

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

We've seen in game screen shots of the cockpit of the Hunchback. This isn't vaporware.

I am pretty sure that was concept art, not in-game. Would LOVE to be proven wrong in that though.

Edited by CoffiNail, 27 January 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#33 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

You all may call me crazy but i'm devoting my entire life to inventing a battlemech. Sure fusion engines are not available but i'll probably go with a wankel engine since it doesn't have issues running if it's on it side(cuz a battlemech isn't always standing or sitting up). I'm a robotic operator at the moment. I'm starting "on the job training" to become a robot programmer next month and will be starting drafting school in the fall. After that it's off to Mechanical Engineering school and who knows what else. Probably will take my entire life to produce a working prototype. And yes i'm gonna call my prototype Mackie.

But I the first weapon i'm gonna put on my mech is a pair of hands because think about it: They are WEAPONS. What if my mech has missles, machine guns and the one mech i'm gonna invent is going to have the Abram's 120mm cannon on it...but those weapons are ammo dependant. What happens if you are in a mech in a combat scenario and you run out of ammo? You will have to use your mech's hands and use weapons of opportunity. Can't do that with no hands. What if you see an anti-tank missile coming at you? Would you want to depend on your Mech's armor or would you rather pick up a car or truck and use it to shield you from the blast? Can't do that with no hands...i can go on all day. Hands are sooo important. Very probematic to use in a simulator with today's tech but very imprtant in a RL combat scenario and MWO is a sim after all.

Edited by XxDRxDEATHxX, 27 January 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#34 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostOmigir, on 27 January 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

they should not have called it the wasp and just called it a Valkyrie.

and they should have replaced both its hands with cannons to make it less 'anime mecha' too. we all know hands=mecha. : \

really? i mean really?

Or how about this:
Posted Image

Lets all freak out now! the wasp is a LAM!

Hello Mechwarriors,

Look at your Wasp.
Now back to the Valkyrie,
now back at your Wasp,
now back to the Valkyrie.

Sadly, your Wasp isn't a Valkyrie.
But if it could change forms and learn to fly it could act like it's one.

Look down, back up.
Where are you? You're on a DropShip. With the Valkyrie your Wasp could act like.

What's in your hand? back at me. I have it. It's an oyster with two diamods.
Look again. The diamonds are now beta keys for MWO!

Anything is possible when your Wasp is a Variable Fighter (or a LAM) and not a land-lubber.

I'm in a Balius.

:lol:

#35 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Honestly? I've wondered that for literally decades and have never heard a legitimate answer given. I haven't got a clue.

Catapult?

Using the big square missile launchers as leverage, it rolls onto its front. Pushes the ground with its nose to get a foot under the center of gravity, and gets up. If its on its back? I guess it could just vector jumpjet thrust toward the ground and thrust do some kind of ninja-kick thing into the air to right itself. That would be cool.

EDIT: lawl I liked my own post

Edited by Zakatak, 27 January 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#36 Ironheart

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

I don't care if they have a mowhawk or hands as long as they don't use them to throw grenades or go ninja with a sword.
Although that shield made me cringe a bit.

#37 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

"A mohawk is fine but a shoulder and arm shield on a defensive mech makes me cringe." Is terrible and you should feel bad for saying it.

#38 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

If I don't have hands on my mechs then how am I supposed to flip my enemies off? Hmmmmm?

#39 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

Everyone keeps talking about the shield on the new Cent model. Isn't it just an armor baffel? How is it any different than the armor baffel on the shoulder? Its just a ****** to protect a more vulnerable joint. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like a kite, circular, or tower shield to me.

#40 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 27 January 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

I am pretty sure that was concept art, not in-game. Would LOVE to be proven wrong in that though.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that the HBK cockpit pictures that are on the media page are actual in-game pictures. Yes, the ocean scene is obviously faked, but the detail in the cockpit is just a little too...detailed, if that makes any sense. I'm convinced that we're looking at an actual Alpha release cockpit for a modified Hunchback.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users