Depressing Mech Choices

483 replies to this topic

#61 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 27 January 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Its cry engine 3 for a start, and if the graphics actually looked like that, it would have the best in game graphics of any game on the market, not likely in a F2P game.
Plus graphics that detailed would require high end machines to play it, making the player base rather small.

If you want to believe that is in game footage, feel free but i think your going to set yourself up for disapointment.

That and im realistic and clever enough to tell artwork from footage.

You're welcome to believe what you will, but I dare say that while I never questioned your intelligence, the fact that you have done so in both of your post to me leads me to believe that you believe yourself somehow my superior, despite the fact that you know nothing about me what so ever.

In short, you're acting like a ******* tool. Cut that **** out before I really lose my temper.

#62 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostWhirlpoolBrewer, on 27 January 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Nobody can claim that they want Mech Warrior to be more sim than Mech Assault was and like mechs with hands.

Oh really? Watch me.

I like the hands on the mechs.

I want it to be more sim than arcade.

There is no paradox. The universe remains....

#63 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

@Paladin1 Whoa man, let's not go into personal attacks

Edited by Treffies, 27 January 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#64 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Postflyingdebris, on 27 January 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

as much as i'd like to believe i can paint straight into cryengine 3 by force of will and wizardry...
unfortunately no, that hunchback cockpit is 100% 2d

It just happened to make use of a lot of texture compositing and a bajillion layers and layer effects when i do that sort of stuff.

*looks at your name.. looks at the hunchback picture then looks at your name again* Hmm.. you seem.. familer.. haven't I *seen* you some where before?

*snaps his finger* Got it! You were piloting that Centurion!

*shouts to forum* Hey everybody, FD pilots the centurion that that hunchback is is about to high five with its hand!

#65 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Postflyingdebris, on 27 January 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

as much as i'd like to believe i can paint straight into cryengine 3 by force of will and wizardry...
unfortunately no, that hunchback cockpit is 100% 2d

It just happened to make use of a lot of texture compositing and a bajillion layers and layer effects when i do that sort of stuff.

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

Just admit it FD, you're really part machine aren't you?

#66 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

You're welcome to believe what you will, but I dare say that while I never questioned your intelligence, the fact that you have done so in both of your post to me leads me to believe that you believe yourself somehow my superior, despite the fact that you know nothing about me what so ever.

In short, you're acting like a ******* tool. Cut that **** out before I really lose my temper.

heh no, like i say im realistic and it is artwork, the red box as pointed out is likely to be the pilots view point, however dont expect it too look like that because it is not in game footage, and will likely look more 3D than flat.
If people can't tell the difference i can't help them with that.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 27 January 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#67 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

View PostTreffies, on 27 January 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Sorry, but that wasn't a personal attack. That was, in fact, quite restrained from my usual reaction.

#68 Arbalister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 254 posts

View Postosito, on 27 January 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

In a game like this hands are not really necessary, there is no real reason for them. This game is also based off books though, and in those hands are useful. They use them to clear paths and in battle. I've read were mechs with hands have helped armless mechs to get up easier. That is the reason we see hands to keep up the lore and because thats the way the were designed.

Not only that, but in some of the earlier computer games, ie MechWarrior (1) you needed a mech with hands for salvage. And you *wanted* salvage.

Also - most of the inner sphere designs go back to the TT and P&P game. Mechs that are less humanoid were pretty few and far between back then.

#69 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostZakatak, on 27 January 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

I never liked any mech with hands or a thin, humanoid form. I could see how hands could be of great use, but why not just have a simple claw for picking up objects, or a ram for melee combat? Hell of alot less joints to use then full modelled hands and just as effective.

The artists have done a good job "militarizing" the mechs (hunched Atlas, small canopy Catapult), but Centurion still looks far too human for a war machine, and the centre of gravity is too high. Alot better then Gundam/Macross/AC, but still could use some fattening.

The artist direction have to give credence to the fact that each faction making thier mech would probably still vary in style. Even though function as a general rule would trump form.

So in the case of hands, SOME factions wanted the mech to have hands because they felt they could use them (Via a Glove controller) to do stuff with giving them a function..

Could it be done with a simple claw..? Yes and I am sure there are Mechs out there that were designed that way too.

So overall in the end the Centurion looks like a functional walking tank. Thus the hands are just a added "weapon" in its particular load out. Because the particular faction that designed and built it wanted it to have hands.

BTW is THAT better people..??!?!

FUNCTION (I.E. It looks and feels like a tank with legs.. that in the future "could" exist)

verse

FORM (I.E. artistic license is to made to make the mech look cool or flamboyant but would serve no MILITARY or FUNCTIONAL aspect).

Its not about being humanoid looking or not, or hands or not..

Each faction and designer and period (Remember a LONG time passes between the first mech constructed and the era we are in) could have a different style. Think of it this way a 1957 Chevy looks, rides, and feels a lot different than a 1995 McLaren F1 or a 2011 Nissan Leaf . The three couldn't be any more different.. But both are functional and get can you to work via the interstate at highway speeds. As long as they have function over form, and are not all gundam styled I'm good with it.

Edited by Chuckie, 27 January 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#70 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

View PostIronheart, on 27 January 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

I don't care if they have a mowhawk or hands as long as they don't use them to throw grenades or go ninja with a sword.
Although that shield made me cringe a bit.

ever heard of the Hatchetman or Axman? will be intresting to see those go toe to toe in a city :lol:

#71 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

I sens this thread about to be locked

#72 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostArbalister, on 27 January 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Not only that, but in some of the earlier computer games, ie MechWarrior (1) you needed a mech with hands for salvage. And you *wanted* salvage.

Also - most of the inner sphere designs go back to the TT and P&P game. Mechs that are less humanoid were pretty few and far between back then.

It's not just Inner Sphere designs that go back to the TT game, all of these designs came from the TT game, including the non-humanoid ones like the Vulture and Mad Cat. Yes, most of these designs are humanoid but there's a great number of them that aren't, especially if you consider the quads like the Scorpion and Goliath and chicken-walkers like the Locust and Marauder.

#73 tyrone dunkirk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

The Centurion always had a mohawk on it's head, that's what made it so... hmm is charming the right word to call a battlemech?
Anyways, like I said, the mohawk has always been there, and almost all the mechs have hands. Also, I've always been a great fan of the Valkyrie and would love to see it remaid for MWO.
Please no personal attacks, lets not feed the trolls gentlemen.

#74 Maverick Howell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

I want to pilot a lam keep your damn ugly mechs to yourself lol.

#75 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

View Posttyrone dunkirk, on 27 January 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

The Centurion always had a mohawk on it's head, that's what made it so... hmm is charming the right word to call a battlemech?
Anyways, like I said, the mohawk has always been there, and almost all the mechs have hands. Also, I've always been a great fan of the Valkyrie and would love to see it remaid for MWO.
Please no personal attacks, lets not feed the trolls gentlemen.

Well, considering that the sensor array on the Centurion's head (that's what it really is, btw) has long been known about and is responsible for the design's name, I can see it being a major point of interest for people. I've used CN9-A's for years and while FD's redesign is nice, my only complaint has nothing to do with the head or armor on the arm. It's that the hand looks too much like a hand from one of the Word Of Blake's Celestial series Omnimechs. Other than that, I actually rather like the way he handled it as it reminds me of the 3050TRO picture in some respects.

#76 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

I've been playing the computer games since Mech Warrior 2, and I have always preferred mechs that don't remind me of gundams... like alomst every inner sphere mech does.

What, you mean "every Inner Sphere 'mech" is the dozen or so that got lifted directly from anime?

Also, besides MW2: Mercs (my favorite:)), few of those games showed more than a handful of I.S. 'mechs, and the ones they did show were later Clan invasion/Civil War/Dark Age designs. There's a terrifically diverse range of SUccession War-era I.S. 'mechs.

I prefer the war simulation side of it all, not the arcade Mech Assault meets Gundamwing thing that most inner sphere mechs scream. Nobody can claim that they want Mech Warrior to be more sim than Mech Assault was and like mechs with hands.

LoLwhut??? I'd rather have hand actuators than an autocannon clogged with mud and rubble after getting up from a fall. What does that have to do with Gundamwing?

For pete sake the last mech to come out had a Mohawk. It looks like instead of shooting me, he is going to pull a guitar out and play heavy metal rock.

If the Centurion rocks too loud, you're too old!!! :lol:

There are respectable Inner Sphere mechs out there that I'm praying they come out with. I'm happy to hear about the catapult,

The Catapult really isn't the most militant looking 'mech in my opinion, but I'm very fond of it as an LRM platform, and I was glad to see it come out.

the uziel

The Uziel sucks, and given that its crammed full of technology a half-century more advanced than anything in this time period, it sucks twice as hard for not even having an excuse to suck.

There are acceptable mechs on the Inner Sphere side, but whenever a mech with hands comes out everyone just gets all excited about it, and my hope for a good mech warrior game drops a little more.

So, you're basicly only interested in post-Clan tech, and 'mechs that look like chicken-legged-dick-in-a-box-with-missile-racks-strapped-to-the-sides?

Don't get me wrong I still plan on playing it, specially when Clan mechs become available, but until then its just a little depressing. Heres to hoping for less 50 ton jokes and more 50 ton machines of war.

Oh, of course, "the Clan 'mechs"! :wacko:
Nothing like never having to choose between speed or armor while still mounting more weapons than your I.S. opponents, and the weapons have twice the range and do half-again more damage...

I never liked any mech with hands or a thin, humanoid form. I could see how hands could be of great use, but why not just have a simple claw for picking up objects, or a ram for melee combat? Hell of alot less joints to use then full modelled hands and just as effective.

Some 'mechs have those, like the Crab or the Zeus.

The artists have done a good job "militarizing" the mechs (hunched Atlas, small canopy Catapult), but Centurion still looks far too human for a war machine, and the centre of gravity is too high. Alot better then Gundam/Macross/AC, but still could use some fattening.

Why do I want to make it "fat"? So I can be a bigger target? The Centurion is only a medium 'mech, it's not supposed to be as beefy as an Atlas.

#77 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostTreffies, on 27 January 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

#78 Rabbit Blacksun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 664 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAround the world ...

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

View PostOmigir, on 27 January 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

they should not have called it the wasp and just called it a Valkyrie.

and they should have replaced both its hands with cannons to make it less 'anime mecha' too. we all know hands=mecha. : \

really? i mean really?

Or how about this:
Posted Image

Lets all freak out now! the wasp is a LAM!

Thats a LAM ... and IMO is one of the most versatile of all mechs in existance :lol:

Also one of my ultimate favorites ...so what you had to train 2 skill tree's just to pilot it >_>

#79 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 27 January 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

MULTIQUOTE LIKE A BOSS!

#80 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Humanoid mechs with hands is as much a part of battletech as chicken walkers that dominate the clan designs. For this time period there are a lot more humanoid with hands compared to later on. As long as they stray away from the robotech/macross stuff they can put all the hands on humanoid mechs they want.

The only thing that bugs me is that there is no use to those hands. Is there any reason for me to keep armor on a mechs arm that has no weapons on it just hands? Put in melee and the ability to punch...thats really what made the Atlas a badass.

Edited by =Outlaw=, 27 January 2012 - 12:46 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users