Depressing Mech Choices

483 replies to this topic

#41 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostOmigir, on 27 January 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

I simply can't help myself. "Mecha Tengu, transforming!"

Everyone who plays C&C games understands me. :wacko:

As for the hands, I don't prefer them, but if they have to be there, then I'm OK with it. :lol:

#42 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 27 January 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Everyone keeps talking about the shield on the new Cent model. Isn't it just an armor baffel? How is it any different than the armor baffel on the shoulder? Its just a ****** to protect a more vulnerable joint. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like a kite, circular, or tower shield to me.

Well, someone did put forward the idea that it may serve (perhaps mainly) as a counterweight to the autocannon... :lol:
(Also, armored flanges - and the expansion and reinforcement of said flanges into functional shields - are not completely alien to BT/MW...)

#43 Curon Hifor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMy Enforcer

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostAngelicon, on 27 January 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

That's a little dramatic isn't it OP? Seems kind of a silly litmus test in a game where you ride in an immense robot on top of a Mr.Fusion power plant. :lol:

I know, right? Seems like a lot of people are expecting a little TOO much realism from a game that's all about giant, fighting robots.

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

Honestly? I've wondered that for literally decades and have never heard a legitimate answer given. I haven't got a clue.

The only reasonable explanation I have ever heard of was based off the fact that the leg and hip gyros on the Jenner are incredibly strong. But even that is sort of...vague.

#44 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

Keep in mind post-release we'll add more 'Mechs, so it's not like: this is the final amount, nothing else will ever be added, ever.

#45 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that the HBK cockpit pictures that are on the media page are actual in-game pictures. Yes, the ocean scene is obviously faked, but the detail in the cockpit is just a little too...detailed, if that makes any sense. I'm convinced that we're looking at an actual Alpha release cockpit for a modified Hunchback.

You really can't be that daft surely? It's 100% concept artwork. They have released no in game footage to date and have already said they wont be releasing any untill after GDC in March.

#46 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 27 January 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

What I could never get over is all the classic designs without arms. How the heck does a Locust, Cataplut, or Stalker get up when it falls down?

"Hey buddy? Excuse me? Mind flipping me over on my stomach? Thanks, thats great!"

Hands help with standing and balance by being able to push off. At least one hand makes a ton of sense. But mechs with no arms? Blech. Just my .02$

Cheers

1) Tuck your arms into your shirt so you can't use them.
2) Drop to the floor.
3) ???????
4) Profit.

If I can do it, an armless mech can do it. Maybe not the most graceful of things, but it's not a game over.

#47 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I think most of the people going "but my realism!!!" need to get off their high horse and realize that battletech is not as serious as they think it is.

#48 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:53 AM

hands

hands are handy and cost little to have, a mech with 1 or more hands can interact with it's environment, punch some dude in the face without breaking his guns, grab a fistful of salvage, help around a base during non combat times as an impromptu forklift/crane/cherrypicker, use hands to arrest to break it's own fall without landing guns first.

As for the "mohawk", the original centurion had one, it was part of the sensor system, say whatever you want about the rest of the design, but that head fin is supposed to be there if nothing else.

and yeah, getting up without arms is not all that hard to do. Using arms may be easier, but so long as you can get a single leg underneath you, it's not problem getting back up

Edited by VYCanis, 27 January 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#49 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 27 January 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Keep in mind post-release we'll add more 'Mechs, so it's not like: this is the final amount, nothing else will ever be added, ever.

And with the aid of Garth's post...

If you dont like mech with hands, you can always take out the Catapult, the cataphract or the Jenner .. or any other handless mech that exists in this time frame..

So quit whining about hands already!

#50 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostDV^McKenna, on 27 January 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

You really can't be that daft surely? It's 100% concept artwork. They have released no in game footage to date and have already said they wont be releasing any untill after GDC in March.

What makes you think that it's 100% concept artwork? The fact that the devs have said that they're not releasing any in-game footage until after GDC?

If they release it without telling us it's actual in-game footage, they get plausible deniability while still getting a chance to let us see an Alpha cockpit and see our reactions to it. What better way to judge how the target audience is going to react to something in-game than to actually let them see it but keep them unaware that they're actually looking at in-game pictures.

#51 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

My stomach was making the rumblies that only hands would satisfy.

#52 The Count

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCockpit of my Zues "Nobleman"

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

[color=#222222]Wow that is just simple. Check it out; this is not just a video game. It’s based on a fantastic universe. The fact that some Battlemechs have hands is a design characteristic. Also let's face the fact that Battletech went in a boring direction with Jihad. Really? If you don't like the designs, don't use them. But when an Atlas rushes you and throws you to the ground with it's hands I bet you will damn sure respect it. I don't like the Jihad storyline, but I still respect the effort and just don't use it. Point being adapt and become a better fan. [/color]

#53 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

What makes you think that it's 100% concept artwork? The fact that the devs have said that they're not releasing any in-game footage until after GDC?

If they release it without telling us it's actual in-game footage, they get plausible deniability while still getting a chance to let us see an Alpha cockpit and see our reactions to it. What better way to judge how the target audience is going to react to something in-game than to actually let them see it but keep them unaware that they're actually looking at in-game pictures.

Its cry engine 3 for a start, and if the graphics actually looked like that, it would have the best in game graphics of any game on the market, not likely in a F2P game.
Plus graphics that detailed would require high end machines to play it, making the player base rather small.

If you want to believe that is in game footage, feel free but i think your going to set yourself up for disapointment.

That and im realistic and clever enough to tell artwork from footage.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 27 January 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#54 The Count

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCockpit of my Zues "Nobleman"

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

There are some art renderings I dont like either. Like the Dragon. I prefer the Dragon on the back of the Fourth Edition Box Set Rulebook 1604Posted Image

#55 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 27 January 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

...or pick up big Robotech rifles with their hands.

This isn’t your father’s MechWarrior.

Actually, They did have hand held weapons back when Battletech first started up, they just dropped them for a while and recently put them back into the TT. Like they did with LAMs.

seriously though i like hands. Ever blow off a limb then picked it up and beat the other guy with it? you could if you have hands! :lol:

#56 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostThe Count, on 27 January 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

There are some art renderings I dont like either. Like the Dragon. I prefer the Dragon on the back of the Fourth Edition Box Set Rulebook 1604Posted Image

No hands ma!

Edit: or.. 'Look ma!, no hands!' either or works for me. Cool picture btw

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Not true, the Dragon has a three-fingered hand just above the Medium laser on the left arm. It's just hard to see.

In that case doing it one handed is just as cool. also creepy, particularly if your not wearing clothes in that hot cockpit...

Edited by Omigir, 27 January 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#57 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostOmigir, on 27 January 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

No hands ma!

Not true, the Dragon has a three-fingered hand just above the Medium laser on the left arm. It's just hard to see.

#58 Ironheart

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

View PostTreffies, on 27 January 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

"A mohawk is fine but a shoulder and arm shield on a defensive mech makes me cringe." Is terrible and you should feel bad for saying it.

You should feel bad for even posting.

View PostMarauder3D, on 27 January 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Everyone keeps talking about the shield on the new Cent model. Isn't it just an armor baffel? How is it any different than the armor baffel on the shoulder? Its just a ****** to protect a more vulnerable joint. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like a kite, circular, or tower shield to me.

Probably because it looks like it doesn't do ****. It leaves so much open that it simply is just a design gimmick. A tower shield would be understandable. With protecting the legs and the upper part and stuff. But that little thing only protects the lower arm. Probably one of the least important parts on that thing.

It doesn't have to be hyper-realistic. But it should be reasonable.
A Mowhawk might be just another sensor. But that thing ... it does nothing o.O

Though I like that design far more than let's say ... this one

Posted Image

Edited by Ironheart, 27 January 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#59 Treffies

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

Posted Image

Okay, I'm going to off on a limb here, but do you see that red box in the cockpit view. I'd take a guess that that is what the player sees 90% of the time. Many modern games don't render what is not in the field of view, so it's perfectly reasonable to think that this is in-game footage sans background.

Just wanted to throw in my thoughts on that, continue your hands discussion

#60 flyingdebris

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

as much as i'd like to believe i can paint straight into cryengine 3 by force of will and wizardry...
unfortunately no, that hunchback cockpit is 100% 2d

It just happened to make use of a lot of texture compositing and a bajillion layers and layer effects when i do that sort of stuff.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users