Depressing Mech Choices

483 replies to this topic

#1 WhirlpoolBrewer

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

I've been playing the computer games since Mech Warrior 2, and I have always preferred mechs that don't remind me of gundams... like alomst every inner sphere mech does. I prefer the war simulation side of it all, not the arcade Mech Assault meets Gundamwing thing that most inner sphere mechs scream. Nobody can claim that they want Mech Warrior to be more sim than Mech Assault was and like mechs with hands. For pete sake the last mech to come out had a Mohawk. It looks like instead of shooting me, he is going to pull a guitar out and play heavy metal rock.

There are respectable Inner Sphere mechs out there that I'm praying they come out with. I'm happy to hear about the catapult, and I really hope they put the uziel in as well. There are acceptable mechs on the Inner Sphere side, but whenever a mech with hands comes out everyone just gets all excited about it, and my hope for a good mech warrior game drops a little more.

Don't get me wrong I still plan on playing it, specially when Clan mechs become available, but until then its just a little depressing. Heres to hoping for less 50 ton jokes and more 50 ton machines of war.

#2 CobraFive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hm, no I disagree. I think the new look has a very military feel to me, and I also think hands fit the feel just fine.

Also: I think its a blanket generalization to say that if you like hands on the mechs you don't like a military/simulator feel.

#3 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I hear his rock will melt your face off... oh no wait, that is his medium lasers...

Cobrafive is 100% right though.

Edited by Omigir, 27 January 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#4 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

I never liked any mech with hands or a thin, humanoid form. I could see how hands could be of great use, but why not just have a simple claw for picking up objects, or a ram for melee combat? Hell of alot less joints to use then full modelled hands and just as effective.

The artists have done a good job "militarizing" the mechs (hunched Atlas, small canopy Catapult), but Centurion still looks far too human for a war machine, and the centre of gravity is too high. Alot better then Gundam/Macross/AC, but still could use some fattening.

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

1 point takes out your whole argument. Do you know HOW MANY MECHS HAVE HANDS? Seriously? A WHOLE LOT OF MECHS HAVE HANDS

Hell some MW2 mechs had hands. they were just balled up in to fists because they did not have the tech for otherwise.

#6 Zwergonfire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

View PostWhirlpoolBrewer, on 27 January 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

I've been playing the computer games since Mech Warrior 2, and I have always preferred mechs that don't remind me of gundams... like alomst every inner sphere mech does. I prefer the war simulation side of it all, not the arcade Mech Assault meets Gundamwing thing that most inner sphere mechs scream. Nobody can claim that they want Mech Warrior to be more sim than Mech Assault was and like mechs with hands. For pete sake the last mech to come out had a Mohawk. It looks like instead of shooting me, he is going to pull a guitar out and play heavy metal rock.

There are respectable Inner Sphere mechs out there that I'm praying they come out with. I'm happy to hear about the catapult, and I really hope they put the uziel in as well. There are acceptable mechs on the Inner Sphere side, but whenever a mech with hands comes out everyone just gets all excited about it, and my hope for a good mech warrior game drops a little more.

Don't get me wrong I still plan on playing it, specially when Clan mechs become available, but until then its just a little depressing. Heres to hoping for less 50 ton jokes and more 50 ton machines of war.

(Said in old man voice) You dang kids with yer hair cuts and rocks and roll music! Back in my day our 'mechs were made outta garbage cans and we liked it 'cause that's the way it was!

Seriously, Mr. Old-man guy, battletech's roots are in anime and Centurions had mohawks on their helmets.

Love, the 21st (31st :lol:) century.

P.s. Acceptable 'mechs? Lol

Edited by Zwergonfire, 27 January 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#7 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostWhirlpoolBrewer, on 27 January 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Wait, you think that the Centurion looks too much like Gundam suits and not enough like military hardware, yet you like that walking shot trap that we know as the Uziel? If you don't like something because of the way it looks, that's fine but don't try to say it doesn't look utilitarian enough.

Also, I can almost guarantee you with 100% certainty that you're not going to see a Uziel. We're in the wrong time frame for that design.

#8 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

If I see anything that looks like this, I will freak.

Posted Image

Fakking Wasps with their stupid point heads...

#9 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

I totaly agree... Thank you
If it has a humanoid form I dont like very much.
I do not want to play power raingers.

To me the coolest looking mech is the Vulture.

#10 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

... I would estimate roughly 3/8ths of battlemechs are humanoid. So you all will be SOL with no humanoid mechs. Hell my favourite mech is the Executioner OmniMech
Posted Image

oh look a bunch of mechs, with hands.

Edited by CoffiNail, 27 January 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#11 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

We’ve heard this before from people who grew up on the no-hands MW video games and are biased against the rest BT which has hands. Whirl, the MW games were supposed to be the mechwarrior’s experience in the BT universe and not a separate game. They are one in the same. Hands were omitted from the videogames because MW was meant to focus on non-melee weapons combat and also the technology at the time was limited. MWO will probably have operational hands. The concept art shows hands (not just hand like nubs) and the devs have mentioned melee combat on select maps / worlds. In short, BT has hands. It doesn’t necessarily make them Gundam or Anime. Im sure the MWO mechs wont jump around like Gundam mecha or pick up big Robotech rifles with their hands.

This isn’t your father’s MechWarrior.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 27 January 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#12 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 27 January 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Im sure the MWO mechs wont jump around like Gundam mecha or pick up big Robotech rifles with their hands.
This isn’t your father’s MechWarrior.

Unless it is the BattleMaster and it drops the autocannon and picks it back up :lol:

But yeah! in BT you can pick up a tree with a handed mech and use it as a club! Technology is a bit more limiting then a table top game with imagination, so.

#13 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostZakatak, on 27 January 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

they should not have called it the wasp and just called it a Valkyrie.

and they should have replaced both its hands with cannons to make it less 'anime mecha' too. we all know hands=mecha. : \

really? i mean really?

Or how about this:
Posted Image

Lets all freak out now! the wasp is a LAM!

#14 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostZakatak, on 27 January 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

That's actually just an optical illusion. The WSP-1A Wasp's head is actually rounded, much like the PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk's head.

#15 Gorith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Asfor the humanoid form... Battlemechs were made to be versatile... The human form is extremely versatile.

#16 osito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, ca

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

In a game like this hands are not really necessary, there is no real reason for them. This game is also based off books though, and in those hands are useful. They use them to clear paths and in battle. I've read were mechs with hands have helped armless mechs to get up easier. That is the reason we see hands to keep up the lore and because thats the way the were designed.

#17 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 27 January 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

Unless it is the BattleMaster and it drops the autocannon and picks it back up :lol:

But yeah! in BT you can pick up a tree with a handed mech and use it as a club! Technology is a bit more limiting then a table top game with imagination, so.

Autocannon...on a B'Master? Is there a BLR out there that I wasn't told about? :wacko:

Psst, that's not an AC, that's a PPC.

#18 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 27 January 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Autocannon...on a B'Master? Is there a BLR out there that I wasn't told about? :lol:

Psst, that's not an AC, that's a PPC.

Yeah, i realize that now that you mention it. I think it was due to someone in another thread talking about a Battlemaster and auto cannons and for some reason i decided to splice the two together. lol. either way it can drop the big gun and pick it up... I really wanted to call it a BFG XD

#19 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostGorith, on 27 January 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Asfor the humanoid form... Battlemechs were made to be versatile... The human form is extremely versatile.

Yes the human form certainly is. It can fight, write, dance, run, jump. But a Battlemech needs to do only 2 of those things. A Battlemech does not need to know how to draw, color, and write. It justs needs to move, fight and take punishment. There are plenty of species in nature that can do that better then we can.

Think of a an Ostrich. Fast, hardy, and dangerous. That is a good template.

#20 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostOmigir, on 27 January 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Lets all freak out now! the wasp is a LAM!

No, this is the WSP-105 Wasp LAM.

Posted Image

This, on the other hand, is the STG-A5 Stinger LAM.

Posted Image

Know your enemies gentlemen.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users