"Goon Squad" Questions?

174 replies to this topic

#21 The East is Burning Red

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostEttibber, on 12 August 2012 - 10:05 PM, said:

you know what he's talking about stop being obtuse.

Ramming is a core part of Mechwarrior and if you don't like it I'm not sure why you play Mechwarrior games?

#22 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostThe East is Burning Red, on 13 August 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

Ramming is a core part of Mechwarrior and if you don't like it I'm not sure why you play Mechwarrior games?

again you know what he was talking about, and again you are being obtuse

#23 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostThe East is Burning Red, on 13 August 2012 - 12:25 AM, said:

So is mechs kicking and punching each other, why the hatchet mech was designed, but thats not in the game, so shrugs, why should ramming be

#24 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

I regard the Goons as being like C'thulu and his brethren

#25 The East is Burning Red

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

View PostCathy, on 13 August 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

So is mechs kicking and punching each other, why the hatchet mech was designed, but thats not in the game, so shrugs, why should ramming be

hey a core feature hasn't been implemented in this half-developed robot game yet might as well strip out previously implemented core features!

what

Edited by The East is Burning Red, 13 August 2012 - 01:08 AM.

#26 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 13 August 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

I regard the Goons as being like C'thulu and his brethren

Very kind of you, but sadly we cannot eternal lie. Many of us have "The Innsmouth Look" though.

#27 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:03 AM

SCENE START

*the stage has almost no light, and you can just barely make out the gang, with Third Flower and Lil' Jimmy in front*

Third Flower: Goons are... Goons are...

Lil' Jimmy: Goons are a feeling!

Third Flower: Yeah, that's right!

*the whole gang starts snapping their fingers in rhythm as the stage-lights get turned on*

Third Flower: Goons are that feeling you get, when your best friend drops by unannounced, with three bottles of vodka and enough Red Bull to keep you up all night.

Lil' Jimmy: Yeah!

*the gang moves to one side of the stage, still snappin' them fingers*

Third Flower: Goons are that trip, that just won't quit!

The whole gang: Oooooowaaaaah!

*everyone does that musical thing of spreading their hands out and like shaking them while they look at the audience*

Third Flower: Goons are what you need, to get you back on your feet!

Lil' Jimmy: That's right!

*everyone moves to the other side of the stage, snappin' away*

Third Flower: Goons are like a kiss from that boy you have a crush on!

Lil' Jimmy: Eeeeew!

Third Flower: Now now Jimmy!

*everyone moves back to the center of the stage, the lights get turned down so that only TF and LJ are illuminated*

Lil' Jimmy: Thanks Flower, I think I understand what goons are like now!

Third Flower: You don't Jimmy, because you're a piece of **** pubbie that won't ever "get" it.

*Third Flower kicks Lil' Jimmy in the face and walks nonchalantly off the stage. As the lights dim, the gang starts beating Lil' Jimmy to death*

END SCENE.

I thought it had been a while since I did a reply in the form of ​~ theater entertainment~. I hope you all like it, and if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to answer them! :D

#28 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

I think it's worth pointing out that Third Flower has probably had a heavy blow to the head at some time in the not too distant past. As such he is perfectly qualified to speak for us all. Also:

"*everyone does that musical thing of spreading their hands out and like shaking them while they look at the audience*"

It's called jazz hands, Third Flower, how can you not know this?

#29 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

View Postfil5000, on 13 August 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

It's called jazz hands, Third Flower, how can you not know this?

Who says I don't? Maybe I'm aware of the word, but decided not to use it, because "jazz hands" has been used in the past to make fun of people with disabilities like Cerebral Palsy. Did you ever think of that, huh? Can I make more questions?

As for whether or not I have had any heavy blows to the head, I can assure you and any other interested parties that:

1. I have not had any serious head injury in my life. Seeing as I have no head - only a so-called crown - such a thing would not be possible.
2. My brain functions at a level that is far beyond that of mere mammals.
3. I'm a ****** **** * ****** flower, and you'd better watch your language young man.
4. I've finally got a new computer AND time to play, so I should be on tonight and ready to "pwnz0r sum pubbies", or what ever it is you usually say, Mr. feelgood5000.

Love,
My roots and the mulch they rode in on.

#30 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostThird Flower, on 13 August 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

Who says I don't? Maybe I'm aware of the word, but decided not to use it, because "jazz hands" has been used in the past to make fun of people with disabilities like Cerebral Palsy. Did you ever think of that, huh? Can I make more questions?

As for whether or not I have had any heavy blows to the head, I can assure you and any other interested parties that:

1. I have not had any serious head injury in my life. Seeing as I have no head - only a so-called crown - such a thing would not be possible.
2. My brain functions at a level that is far beyond that of mere mammals.
3. I'm a ****** **** * ****** flower, and you'd better watch your language young man.
4. I've finally got a new computer AND time to play, so I should be on tonight and ready to "pwnz0r sum pubbies", or what ever it is you usually say, Mr. feelgood5000.

Love,
My roots and the mulch they rode in on.

To respond to your first question, no, you may not ask more questions, so that takes care of the rest of your post. Learn 2 Post.

I think I should point out I have never used the term "pwnz0r" in my life. Although I am now legally changing my name to Mr. FeelGood5000.

#31 Anuri

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

Goons have nothing to do with proper Huse Liao unit. They just want PWNAGE and trashtalk. They are good enemy to fight against but their attitude and behaviour is simply ennoying, especially for people who enjoy RP element in the game. But this will probably change if people stop reacting to their taunts.

#32 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:13 AM

View PostAnuri, on 13 August 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Goons have nothing to do with proper Huse Liao unit. They just want PWNAGE and trashtalk. They are good enemy to fight against but their attitude and behaviour is simply ennoying, especially for people who enjoy RP element in the game. But this will probably change if people stop reacting to their taunts.

Hi!

At the moment, we ARE a house Liao unit, whether you like the way we play or not. What we want is a decent fight - so far very few games have resulted in this so we've done things to keep the game interesting for us. I'm sorry you feel that trash talking is somehow beneath the mighty house that once obliterated 10,000 of its own citizens, and who have enshrined in the Sarna mandate that whoever has the biggest stick is in charge.

#33 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Our Unit went up once or twice against Goons and we've beaten them soundly each time (at least when I was in the lance)

Heck even when I commanded, and I've never really commanded anything, we beat them soundly. Goons will have to get serious about the game at some point to pose any realistic level of danger (it's a joke that THEY want a decent fight) to any half decent merc unit, never mind the houses. I've got a feeling the other houses especially will have some serious units and the 'word of lowtax' silliness will become a joke rather than something to be feared. That is if that's even what they are going for. Right now it seems they actually WANT to become a joke.

That aside, the impact goons will have on the game will most likely range from absolutely nothing to moderate depending on how the meta game is setup. Even then the sheer number of serious players in the other houses, and the merc units that would align themselves with these houses will see goons outnumbered by absurd numbers. While they may win some battles, there will probably be to many once everyone gets fed up with them.

Remember, this isn't eve. There is no emergent gameplay, there is no player driven content, not in the way eve has it. There are a lot more people who love BT than there are goons and if goons start messing with that... definitely going to be interesting.

#34 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

Hey fil5000, what do you call that movement with your hand where you slap it against your forehead? You know, the one to show disgust at someone's stupidity.

#35 Anuri

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 86 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

View Postfil5000, on 13 August 2012 - 03:13 AM, said:

Hi!

At the moment, we ARE a house Liao unit, whether you like the way we play or not. What we want is a decent fight - so far very few games have resulted in this so we've done things to keep the game interesting for us. I'm sorry you feel that trash talking is somehow beneath the mighty house that once obliterated 10,000 of its own citizens, and who have enshrined in the Sarna mandate that whoever has the biggest stick is in charge.

Wearing house instigna on the forum does not make you a house unit. And trashtalking with some OOC crap does not make you one for sure. Faction warefare is an RP element that has nothing to do with pure PWNAGE in the name of whatever chaos gods you worship...

#36 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostAnuri, on 13 August 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Wearing house instigna on the forum does not make you a house unit. And trashtalking with some OOC crap does not make you one for sure. Faction warefare is an RP element that has nothing to do with pure PWNAGE in the name of whatever chaos gods you worship...

Congratulations on winning hyperbolist of the year. Also congratulations on not paying any attention to anything any goon has said in this or any other thread. You've decided on your view of us and further discussion will not make any changes to that so fine.

View PostThird Flower, on 13 August 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

Hey fil5000, what do you call that movement with your hand where you slap it against your forehead? You know, the one to show disgust at someone's stupidity.

I think it's something to do with that Star Trek captain. Jeffrey Sinclair? Sheridan? One of those. I've seen small pictures of him doing what you describe online. I understand it's quite the meme.

View PostForceUser, on 13 August 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

Our Unit went up once or twice against Goons and we've beaten them soundly each time (at least when I was in the lance)

Heck even when I commanded, and I've never really commanded anything, we beat them soundly. Goons will have to get serious about the game at some point to pose any realistic level of danger (it's a joke that THEY want a decent fight) to any half decent merc unit, never mind the houses. I've got a feeling the other houses especially will have some serious units and the 'word of lowtax' silliness will become a joke rather than something to be feared. That is if that's even what they are going for. Right now it seems they actually WANT to become a joke.

That aside, the impact goons will have on the game will most likely range from absolutely nothing to moderate depending on how the meta game is setup. Even then the sheer number of serious players in the other houses, and the merc units that would align themselves with these houses will see goons outnumbered by absurd numbers. While they may win some battles, there will probably be to many once everyone gets fed up with them.

Remember, this isn't eve. There is no emergent gameplay, there is no player driven content, not in the way eve has it. There are a lot more people who love BT than there are goons and if goons start messing with that... definitely going to be interesting.

You're clearly in the beta then - there is a more comprehensive (and polite) Goon question thread in the beta off topic forum, so I suggest you have a look there. There are much better posts as to what we're all about that might help clear up your misconceptions about us. Also, well done for beating a goonlance - at the moment I'm sat here with something like a 90% win rate, and I'm by no means a great player, and most of my losses have come about by not playing with goons. We're not infallable of course, no one is, but we definately trend towards winning - were the games you played complete routs for us or did you have a challenge on your hands? If the former then the goons concerned will be rounded up and handed to Andersbot for "processing".

#37 Samuikaze

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

View PostBada BOOM, on 12 August 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Put even more simply: I would consider joining Liao if we would be "playing" Liao "seriously". If it's just going to wind up being "exploits" or people squawwwking drowning out the theme, maybe I should play somewhere else?

As you can see by the replies of a few of them here, they are not interested in the storyline [fluff?], par what can be used/twisted to try to tease/mock and/or wind people up. I'm sure given time, once the game goes live there will be better groups of people coming along to play out house Liao. If you want to know what this lot think of the community here simply go browse the SA forums MWO thread and get a vibe of what they are about. It pretty much says it all really and hits at much of what you've already found out.

I'd suggest you just play house Liao, seek to hook up with the good parts of it and just ignore the Goon/SA troupe here. The game will be doing just fine with or with out them. Now all we really need is a block button that edits out the forum mails and in game chatter, then we could just ignore them and get on with the fighting. Good luck.

#38 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

So wait, rather than posting questions and having goons answer them, he should post a thread about us and then ignore the replies we give?

We ARE interested in the fluff, but we recognise that a lot if it is daft, pulpy and contradicts itself. There's a lot of pleasure to be derived from reading Stackpole books, but please don't pretend they're anything other than a series of Mary Stu/Sues shooting and banging their way through a cast of thousands. Yes, we like winding people up, but only those who are taking themselves too seriously and doing things like RPing in the middle of a match or repeatedly talking about how badly they're going to kill all those dirty goonies because they have E HONOUR AND E HONOUR IS BETTER THAN VOICE COMMS OR TACTICS.

Also, there's an ignore function in your forum profile if you want to block people out. In terms of in game chat you may be aware that your eyes can swivel to point at a part of the screen that does not contain words you find objectionable.

Glad to see you pop out of the woodwork with your enlightened views on goons again, Samuikazi. Always a pleasure.

#39 Two Beans

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationDa Innur Speer

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

If there's one thing I learned from the rich lore of the Battletech Universe, its that Jade Falcons are really into incest1.

1 Way of the Clans, by Robert Thurston

Edited by Two Beans, 13 August 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#40 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostBada BOOM, on 12 August 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

So, I have been a fan of Liao for many years (since I started playing Battletech), and I've read through the threads here and am pretty damned confused and somewhat concerned.

On the one hand, there seems to be a pretty large group of people interested in making Liao an awesome MWO organization. There's a lot of enthusiastic people, and from what I gather, the ones from the "Goon Squad" are veteran video gamers who really enjoy MMOs.

On the other hand, the "Goon Squad" has a horrible reputation for basically screwing with games on a meta- level, pushing the lines of exploitation and justifying their actions as helping the game designers discover such flaws occasionally. A web search about Mittani reveals a lot of things that many, I think, would consider "not fun", essentially, griefing people mostly because they can.

So, what can I expect here? I make no particular judgments, I'm just looking to know if getting involved with this faction is going to be more of a headache than a fun experience. I like roleplaying in the BT universe, as far as that goes, and I like the canon but I'm not a grognard about it. (The squawwwwk thing makes me laugh...but I am pretty sure it's going to get pretty damn old eventually. It's the thematic way of pushing the boundaries past absurdity, in my opinion, but what do I know?)

So...could I get some opinions here, from the Goons or people who are afraid of them or whatever? I just want an honest assessment, because what I read here now are (a) goons being defensive because people are calling them names, ( :D butthurt people complaining about the Goons and assuming that just because they acted like they did in Eve they're going to do the same thing here, and © Goons being sarcastic right back. It turns into a war of 'who's the bad guy/who's the good guy' and that's not really useful in terms of finding out whether I'll have actual *FUN* trying to play in the Capellan Confederation.

Put even more simply: I would consider joining Liao if we would be "playing" Liao "seriously". If it's just going to wind up being "exploits" or people squawwwking drowning out the theme, maybe I should play somewhere else?

look at joining the prefectorate guard or the unit i'm in, the preson lancers. we are more serious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users