• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGermany, Niedersachsen, Göttingen

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

Ah, another one of those Threads. :D

"Friends, Mechwarriors, Chickens, lend me an ear!"

"It seems, the hatred agains Bird-Men is rising again! But dont listen to blind hatred agains this honorable sub-species! Our beloved Chicken-Wing-Warriors are part of our Universe, and - by blake - they´re some tasty Part of it!"
"But, my fellow man, dont consider them easy Prey. They´re Proud Warriors of the Confederation A´Capella, and strike the hearts of the unprepared with fear!"
"At the end, i´d like to give you´ll an advice: You may hunt the Bird, you may eat the Bird, but dont hate the Bird, for the Bird is the Word!"
"Thank you, good hunting."

#42 fil5000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:23 AM

View PostJanus Wealth, on 13 August 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

Ah, another one of those Threads. :D

"Friends, Mechwarriors, Chickens, lend me an ear!"

"It seems, the hatred agains Bird-Men is rising again! But dont listen to blind hatred agains this honorable sub-species! Our beloved Chicken-Wing-Warriors are part of our Universe, and - by blake - they´re some tasty Part of it!"
"But, my fellow man, dont consider them easy Prey. They´re Proud Warriors of the Confederation A´Capella, and strike the hearts of the unprepared with fear!"
"At the end, i´d like to give you´ll an advice: You may hunt the Bird, you may eat the Bird, but dont hate the Bird, for the Bird is the Word!"
"Thank you, good hunting."

And we give the traditional response:

"Umma mow mow ba ba umma mow mow. Amen."

#43 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

View Postfil5000, on 13 August 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

And we give the traditional response:

"Umma mow mow ba ba umma mow mow. Amen."

*bows*
"Thank you, Warrior of Lowtax. Your kind always finds the right words. It honors me - and my superior kind - that you share your tribal-traditions with us."

#44 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

I originally wanted to add exact scores etc. but considering this isn't in the right place I figured just saying we beat goon teams was toeing the line more than enough already.

That aside, was merely adding my experience for what it's worth, both here and in Eve and what I though the future might hold. The serious BT fans haven't had a good MW game in 10 years. They are more likely than not to take it really serious. I find it silly the amount of effort goons put in to counter this, for their own pleasure mind you. Eve had no existing fan base (maybe freespace?) so goons and the like could form from there and they definitely keep that game interesting.

Anyways, another interesting thing I have found with goons is that they have far, FAR more experience with forum fights/spars (make no mistake, this is one B) ) than 90% of the other people here. Goons will always know what to say or how to say it to turn a thread over or make someone else look the bad guy or even make it look like people are meaning things they don't say. There is more than a few examples of this in this very thread. I won't even go into the more paranoia laced theories on alts etc.

The image I have of goons, and will always have regardless of what is said or done, is that of an overly obnoxious kid doing silly/stupid things for attention and thinking it's hilarious all the while and many people laughing along because it's the thing to do. What makes it worse is that the majority of you guys are in fact NOT kids but grown men :D . I love a good joke, a meme, a clever play/tactic and at times a broken build but fools generally don't know when a joke isn't funny anymore or when a meme loses it's punch. At what point does amusement turn into pity?

But hay this is just my take on things, use it, don't use it, wouldn't want to force it down anyone's throat. Just sharing with the class because really, sharing is caring ;)

Hmm another thing that just hit me; this whole squawk and lowtax thing you guys have going on, you realize it is in absolutely no way different to the clanners starting every post with "hon mechawrriors" (and actually mean it too) or the guys who take the game extremely seriously, the exact thing you guys are 'fighting' against?

I'm actually chuckling thinking about it now. It's not hypocrisy, that denotes some level of awareness of what is happening, this is purely and completely unintentional(I hope) on your part but is extremely funning seeing it now ;) Yes I can hear you yelling 'sarcasm much' in the back. That just makes is all the more funny

I can picture it now, a Liao commander with a serious face looks up form his battle maps, opens the comms channel and in a grave voice utters the word that will inspire his men to fight harder "Squawk"

There is only Word of Lowtax <-serious voice forever :D

Edited by ForceUser, 13 August 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#45 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostForceUser, on 13 August 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

Eve had no existing fan base (maybe freespace?).

Hardly. Free Space is completely different in just about everything except the fact they're both in sci-fi space.

I would think that if there was any fanbase that played games similar to EVE before, it would be people from X series.

#46 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

They are here. Thats the simple truth. Neither you nor I nor anyone else below moderator / admin level could do anything about it. And why should anyone do something about it in the first place? They are here to play 'Mechwarrior, as is anyone else. They make fun of the lore? Yeah, so what? Lore just doesn't die because of it. And as noone of you wants your roleplay being called in question, so you should not question theirs, no matter how ridiculous you might think it is.

As the Confederation Capella is not run by us players, anyone can proclaim what they wish - thats nothing the Goons have exclusive rights to.

(And please don't slap me for using common sense).

#47 Max Immelmann

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

goon squad tactics are predictable, their play style easy to counter. all i need to see is squawk and it is game over.

#48 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

View Postfil5000, on 13 August 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

I think it's something to do with that Star Trek captain. Jeffrey Sinclair? Sheridan? One of those. I've seen small pictures of him doing what you describe online. I understand it's quite the meme.

Thanks! Now I can finally express my feelings about the following:

View PostForceUser, on 13 August 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

Our Unit went up once or twice against Goons and we've beaten them soundly each time (at least when I was in the lance)

Heck even when I commanded, and I've never really commanded anything, we beat them soundly. Goons will have to get serious about the game at some point to pose any realistic level of danger (it's a joke that THEY want a decent fight) to any half decent merc unit, never mind the houses. I've got a feeling the other houses especially will have some serious units and the 'word of lowtax' silliness will become a joke rather than something to be feared. That is if that's even what they are going for. Right now it seems they actually WANT to become a joke.

That aside, the impact goons will have on the game will most likely range from absolutely nothing to moderate depending on how the meta game is setup. Even then the sheer number of serious players in the other houses, and the merc units that would align themselves with these houses will see goons outnumbered by absurd numbers. While they may win some battles, there will probably be to many once everyone gets fed up with them.

Remember, this isn't eve. There is no emergent gameplay, there is no player driven content, not in the way eve has it. There are a lot more people who love BT than there are goons and if goons start messing with that... definitely going to be interesting.

I originally wanted to add exact scores etc. but considering this isn't in the right place I figured just saying we beat goon teams was toeing the line more than enough already.

That aside, was merely adding my experience for what it's worth, both here and in Eve and what I though the future might hold. The serious BT fans haven't had a good MW game in 10 years. They are more likely than not to take it really serious. I find it silly the amount of effort goons put in to counter this, for their own pleasure mind you. Eve had no existing fan base (maybe freespace?) so goons and the like could form from there and they definitely keep that game interesting.

Anyways, another interesting thing I have found with goons is that they have far, FAR more experience with forum fights/spars (make no mistake, this is one ;) ) than 90% of the other people here. Goons will always know what to say or how to say it to turn a thread over or make someone else look the bad guy or even make it look like people are meaning things they don't say. There is more than a few examples of this in this very thread. I won't even go into the more paranoia laced theories on alts etc.

The image I have of goons, and will always have regardless of what is said or done, is that of an overly obnoxious kid doing silly/stupid things for attention and thinking it's hilarious all the while and many people laughing along because it's the thing to do. What makes it worse is that the majority of you guys are in fact NOT kids but grown men :) . I love a good joke, a meme, a clever play/tactic and at times a broken build but fools generally don't know when a joke isn't funny anymore or when a meme loses it's punch. At what point does amusement turn into pity?

But hay this is just my take on things, use it, don't use it, wouldn't want to force it down anyone's throat. Just sharing with the class because really, sharing is caring ;)

Hmm another thing that just hit me; this whole squawk and lowtax thing you guys have going on, you realize it is in absolutely no way different to the clanners starting every post with "hon mechawrriors" (and actually mean it too) or the guys who take the game extremely seriously, the exact thing you guys are 'fighting' against?

I'm actually chuckling thinking about it now. It's not hypocrisy, that denotes some level of awareness of what is happening, this is purely and completely unintentional(I hope) on your part but is extremely funning seeing it now ;) Yes I can hear you yelling 'sarcasm much' in the back. That just makes is all the more funny

I can picture it now, a Liao commander with a serious face looks up form his battle maps, opens the comms channel and in a grave voice utters the word that will inspire his men to fight harder "Squawk"

There is only Word of Lowtax <-serious voice forever :D

Imagine a picture of a Star Trek captain slapping his forehead, in what I understand is a gesture turned Internet meme. That is how I wish to express my utter disdain at the complete lack of self-awareness in the above pubbie-whimpering ^_^

Fake-edit: Same goes for Immelmann's word-vomit, but imagine that it is two Star Trek officers - one captain and one maybe second-in-line - doing the forehead slapping.

Edited by Third Flower, 13 August 2012 - 06:28 AM.

#49 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostAdridos, on 13 August 2012 - 06:19 AM, said:

Hardly. Free Space is completely different in just about everything except the fact they're both in sci-fi space.

I would think that if there was any fanbase that played games similar to EVE before, it would be people from X series.

I was thinking more along the lines of the multiplayer but yes, X series (huge fan) is definitely the closest you'd have to EVE singleplayer.

Hang on, you can like your own posts?

phahaha :)

Edited by ForceUser, 13 August 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#50 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

Anyways, another interesting thing I have found with goons is that they have far, FAR more experience with forum fights/spars (make no mistake, this is one ^_^ ) than 90% of the other people here. Goons will always know what to say or how to say it to turn a thread over or make someone else look the bad guy or even make it look like people are meaning things they don't say. There is more than a few examples of this in this very thread. I won't even go into the more paranoia laced theories on alts etc.

The image I have of goons, and will always have regardless of what is said or done, is that of an overly obnoxious kid doing silly/stupid things for attention and thinking it's hilarious all the while and many people laughing along because it's the thing to do. What makes it worse is that the majority of you guys are in fact NOT kids but grown men :) . I love a good joke, a meme, a clever play/tactic and at times a broken build but fools generally don't know when a joke isn't funny anymore or when a meme loses it's punch. At what point does amusement turn into pity?

There is only Word of Lowtax <-serious voice forever ;)

Did you actually read my post where I replied to you? I congratulated you on beating a goon lance because mathematically speaking it doesn't happen often. By dint of calling targets and using voice chat alone we do well, and some of the players we have are actually really good (not putting myself in that group). That means you must have been good, it wasn't a backhanded insult or an attempt to suggest you played a sub par lance or anything.

Also: the squawk stuff isn't for attention. It's because it makes us laugh. Really, you don't find the idea of those dumb birdmen from Far Country driving a mech funny? Ok, fair enough, but we do. In terms of using it being on a par with the people who take clan e-honour seriously, if that's your take then fine - I'm not sure you'd think the same if you heard our voice chat every match which frequently descends into utter chaos as someone (Reverend) starts blasting Huey Lewis and the News or Surfin' Bird rendering any attempt to take ANYTHING seriously completely impossible. But hey, if it makes you happy to think of us as super serious then go nuts!

View PostImmelmann, on 13 August 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

goon squad tactics are predictable, their play style easy to counter. all i need to see is squawk and it is game over.

Good man, keep it up.

#51 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostForceUser, on 13 August 2012 - 06:28 AM, said:

Hang on, you can like your own posts?

I can, but you shouldn't.

#52 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

Did you actually read my post where I replied to you? I congratulated you on beating a goon lance because mathematically speaking it doesn't happen often. By dint of calling targets and using voice chat alone we do well, and some of the players we have are actually really good (not putting myself in that group). That means you must have been good, it wasn't a backhanded insult or an attempt to suggest you played a sub par lance or anything.

Oh no you completely misunderstood me there. The only thing I was pointing out was that I couldn't answer your question regarding the nature of our victories due to me feeling that would be asking for trouble regarding the NDA. Everything after that first sentence is about the original OP and not about the battles I have had with goons. I did not think that your comment was 'backhanded' or anything like that :)

Also: the squawk stuff isn't for attention. It's because it makes us laugh. Really, you don't find the idea of those dumb birdmen from Far Country driving a mech funny? Ok, fair enough, but we do. In terms of using it being on a par with the people who take clan e-honour seriously, if that's your take then fine - I'm not sure you'd think the same if you heard our voice chat every match which frequently descends into utter chaos as someone (Reverend) starts blasting Huey Lewis and the News or Surfin' Bird rendering any attempt to take ANYTHING seriously completely impossible. But hey, if it makes you happy to think of us as super serious then go nuts!

Again not at all what I meant. I specifically said that it was NOT a conscious thing. I know you guys find it hilarious, but your dedication to this meme and this joke is the same thing as the dedication others have to the lore. I may not make my point 100% clear because english is not my home language. From the sig you can see that I do in fact like ponies. It is not much different and we do sometimes yell in chat 'FOR PONY' although that is a LFG reference and NOT a pony one... But we do make jokes about it etc. The only time we go all pony in game though is if we see a group or pubbie with a pony name, but then it's all in good fun. So the same thing but not nearly as serious about it as goons are.

that's my take at least ^_^

#53 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

Alright, alright, maybe I was a bit too hard on you, ForceUser. You're about halfway there when it comes to "getting" it, so you're roughly 100% ahead of most pubbies. At least you are trying to understand, and I "Like"d your above post for that reason. Good job - keep at it!

#54 Jukebox1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yeah, Right. Imagine the same Commander, looking at his maps, pointing at a flag:

"Whats this?"
"Sir, i think its...ponys, Sir."
"Ridiculous, war is serious business."
"It used to be, Sir."

I´d prefer (and that is my personal opinion) one honorable Warrior of Lowtax over a Company of Ponys.

#55 Balls of Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

I've not read the full thread cos you know...f*ck that basically. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I find it really ironic that the people who want to take their Houses uber-seerieusly are the same people that find Lowtax and SQUAWCK to be silly. I mean really? Like it isn't silly to get nationalistic and worked up over a fictional space country? Support your House, be a fan, but for the love of Christ and Allah please cut the jingoistic crap out (looking at you Davion fans).

When we win we won't be mewing about our martial supremacy or superior ideals (partly because we are so self-assured of these we won't have to), we'll simply let the sheep bleat and laugh in their faces when their misplaced pride fails them.

View PostThorn Hallis, on 13 August 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

They are here. Thats the simple truth. Neither you nor I nor anyone else below moderator / admin level could do anything about it. And why should anyone do something about it in the first place? They are here to play 'Mechwarrior, as is anyone else. They make fun of the lore? Yeah, so what? Lore just doesn't die because of it. And as noone of you wants your roleplay being called in question, so you should not question theirs, no matter how ridiculous you might think it is.

As the Confederation Capella is not run by us players, anyone can proclaim what they wish - thats nothing the Goons have exclusive rights to.

(And please don't slap me for using common sense).

QFT

#56 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostForceUser, on 13 August 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Oh no you completely misunderstood me there. The only thing I was pointing out was that I couldn't answer your question regarding the nature of our victories due to me feeling that would be asking for trouble regarding the NDA. Everything after that first sentence is about the original OP and not about the battles I have had with goons. I did not think that your comment was 'backhanded' or anything like that :)

Again not at all what I meant. I specifically said that it was NOT a conscious thing. I know you guys find it hilarious, but your dedication to this meme and this joke is the same thing as the dedication others have to the lore. I may not make my point 100% clear because english is not my home language. From the sig you can see that I do in fact like ponies. It is not much different and we do sometimes yell in chat 'FOR PONY' although that is a LFG reference and NOT a pony one... But we do make jokes about it etc. The only time we go all pony in game though is if we see a group or pubbie with a pony name, but then it's all in good fun. So the same thing but not nearly as serious about it as goons are.

that's my take at least ^_^

Ohh, right, I get it. No, you're right, that is kinda funny. I guess the main difference is our willingness to laugh at our own ridiculousness, which you appear to share and which the Clan die hards (and certain other IS posters) appear to lack.

#57 Khan Warlock Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 392 posts
  • LocationThe Grey Wolves Den

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

I really dont care about GS being in MWO, there isn't a meta game they can try and break and if i drop against them its only going to last 15 minutes. Let them have thier fun at the end of the day if they are puttiing thier money into supporting this game, thats what really matters.

#58 Amberlance

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostForceUser, on 13 August 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Comparing the deep kinship we have with our noble Tetatae brothers, may their iridescent plumage illuminate the galaxy, with a children's cartoon is deeply offensive and punishable by the not-liking of your posts. Your attempts to undermine the rich cannon of the BattleTechnology universe, lovingly crafted over the thirty years I've been playing it (on a table or in my head), with some stupid pony thing enrages me beyond the boundaries of my otherwise mellifluous temperament.

Treebrother Flozza-T has recently suffered serious cranial trauma, and as such knows not what he posts. For the sake of a love two entities at separate branches of Linnaean taxonomy can have for each other, I will like his post.

#59 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

NoGutsNoGalaxy had a nice podcast where a member (leader?) of the GoonSwarm shed some light on them. I pretty much had no idea who these guys were or what the fuss what about before this podcast. I don't see them as a real threat honestly.

http://nogutsnogalax...s-no-galaxy-36/

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 13 August 2012 - 07:16 AM.

#60 Ximix

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

My only exposure to Goon Squad was in Warhammer Online - where they were total asshats. One guy posted about someone that loved WAR and had just passed away from cancer. It was a simple tribute to the game and how much the deceased love it as well as their husband who was still playing the game. But the Goon Squad guys started trolling both the husband and making fun of the deceased.

All Goon Squad are scumbags in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users