"Goon Squad" Questions?

174 replies to this topic

#81 Mechafreak

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, out on patrol.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have had 2 matches against the goons, and I will post my thoughts if no one minds. I have lost both times I went up against them, not because they cheated, or meta'ed or anything like that. I and the rest of my team lost because we were simply unprepared for the unconventional tactics used against us. Being Zerg Rushed by 8 assault mech's tends to throw one off their game.

As to the sqwacking, I don't honestly pay attention to what is in the chat channel once the timer hit's zero. I am to busy playing the game. I have not seen anything posted by the goons I have fought that I would consider offencive, just random silliness and an offer for a free win if we killed one of our own as a sacrifice to Lowtax. I have never played EVE so this is the first time I have ever encountered them, and so far I have not seen anything in their conduct that would cause so many people to hate them as much as they do.

Just my two cents and observations.

Edited by Mechafreak, 13 August 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#82 Agincourt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostRasgueados, on 13 August 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Regardless of what happens, I think it is going to make the game better; If they are not actually good, then they will be known for being just talkers, until they change that around, which will also be a storyline, our own storyline.

There are some (very) good WoL players, and there are some really terrible ones. Alot of guys and girls in WoL are new as well, so some lances may be better than others or use different strategies. Generally we focus on training and teamwork, so even the newer/worse lances are improving and adapting to new tactics frequently. Fighting against one goon lance may be particularly different from fighting against a different lance, and some MWO goons don't play with the WoL at all, so you'd never actually know if you were fighting goons at all.

If their house (Liao) is divided, then that will also make for part of the story/game, they might have some sort of a civil war and so on.

I can definitely picture some factional infighting eventually. Maybe even a Grand Crusade.

If they are actually good and become big or very big (as some seem to worry), then they will be known for it and maybe other houses might make a temporary alliance and join together to take them down or call on/pay mercs to help etc

As mentioned from some other posters, this might actually be welcomed at some point depending on how CW shapes-up.

#83 Mechwarrior Xbox

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostMechafreak, on 13 August 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

I have had 2 matches against the goons, and I will post my thoughts if no one minds. I have lost both times I went up against them, not because they cheated, or meta'ed or anything like that. I and the rest of my team lost because we were simply unprepared for the unconventional tactics used against us. Being Zerg Rushed by 8 assault mech's tends to throw one off their game.

As to the sqwacking, I don't honestly pay attention to what is in the chat channel once the timer hit's zero. I am to busy playing the game. I have not seen anything posted by the goons I have fought that I would consider offencive, just random silliness and an offer for a free win if we killed one of our own as a sacrifice to Lowtax. I have never played EVE so this is the first time I have ever encountered them, and so far I have not seen anything in their conduct that would cause so many people to hate them as much as they do.

Just my two cents and observations.

Everything about this post is wrong, I need your hate. I need your blind uncompromising rage for the fact I paid tenbux to join a forum on the internet. Why won't you hate me?

#84 The East is Burning Red

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostAnuri, on 13 August 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Wearing house instigna on the forum does not make you a house unit. And trashtalking with some OOC crap does not make you one for sure. Faction warefare is an RP element that has nothing to do with pure PWNAGE in the name of whatever chaos gods you worship...

quotin this

#85 Mechafreak

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

You and the goons have done nothing to earn my hate Ion, so therefor I cannot give it.

#86 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

He is a goon, you can tell because bees.

On a totally unrelated note, you might be interested to know that one of my tabletop group is so insane that he built the entirety of the 1st AND 2nd Robinson Rangers....... yeah. The 2nd have some solid special rules, I like using them.

#87 LostMK

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

roleplaying mechwarrior?

joke topic

#88 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'd like to point out that almost anyone "griefed" by goons tend to, well, deserve it. Take the new thing where they offer to throw the game if your team kills a randomly picked player. If a team is so stupid and backstabby to actually do it, they deserve what they get. The fact people still fall for scams on EVE is enough to warrant a serious face palm.

View Postsvtman, on 12 August 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Personally I have no issue with them because everytime I have faced them with my teammates or a pug I have never lost. I'll just enjoy farming them.. Come on guys you nothing to fear from them all they can do is base rush and alpha strike...

... you beat a goon unit with pubs?

I generally hate memes but "Cool story, bro"

Edited by Victor Morson, 13 August 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#89 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 13 August 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

... you beat a goon unit with pubs?

I generally hate memes but "Cool story, bro"

We're familiar with your unit. Look forward to seeing you on the field.

#90 Melthir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostJanus Wealth, on 13 August 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

*bows*
"Thank you, Warrior of Lowtax. Your kind always finds the right words. It honors me - and my superior kind - that you share your tribal-traditions with us."

Hey I think this guy gets it. You sir get a golden banana sticker.

#91 Mechafreak

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

I am not a goon Nekki, and I am impressed that some one built the rangers from the canon. That's a lot of effort. My signature is the name of the, I guess it's a merc corp since they wont' let us be the canon Rangers.

#92 SakuranoSenshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostEttibber, on 12 August 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

says the nation of whores that joined the inner spheres greatest murderer. how does it feel to be the harlot nation for the beast?

Pretty good, pretty good. I sleep like baby, every night, on a giant pile of Kroners. :-P

#93 bigpapirick

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

This type of community driven dynamic needs to be praised and endeared regardless of what it entails. The developers will patch up any holes which create imbalance. This type of experience cannot be scripted and that should be welcomed.

I think its also great that they have chosen something silly from the lore. Something obscure enough to ruffle feathers with the die hards which may be taking it way too seriously, yet loosely tied to cannon to be able to work into some type of RP. As someone mentioned, if the player base wants to rally against them, then do so. The result would be awesome for the game. Or maybe they will fight back and win which will still be awesome for the game.

Big metal robots people.. let's try not to take ourselves too seriously.

#94 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:59 AM

Just think, if everyone banded together against The Terrible Goon Peril then there'd be no need to introduce the Big Bad that the Clans represent! No overpowered clan tech, no omnis, no need to have to try and balance all that stuff. We're unjustifiably sure of ourselves, issue demands/challenges at the start of a fight, have our own made up language that appears similar to English (SQUAAAWK) and frequently impose handicaps on ourselves (all dragon lances, all commando lances, etc) for reasons known only to ourselves.

PGI, WE can be your outside context problem!

#95 SakuranoSenshi

• 1,255 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

Liked, if only for using "outside context problem" on an internet forum.

#96 fil5000

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationInternet County, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostSakuranoSenshi, on 14 August 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

Liked, if only for using "outside context problem" on an internet forum.

I've never been involved in Goonswarm, but it sounds like that's exactly what they were to the old guard of Eve, so seemed an appropriate term. Also I'm a shameless Iain M Banks fan.

#97 SakuranoSenshi

• 1,255 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

Aye, me too. It's always nice to see other intelligent people online...

Let us proceed with this circle jerk! :-P

#98 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostBalls of Steele, on 13 August 2012 - 06:58 AM, said:

the same people that find Lowtax and SQUAWCK to be silly....

Support your House, be a fan, but for the love of Christ and Allah please cut the jingoistic crap out.

Jingoism is essentially a superiority complex, right? Food for thought maybe?

Have some birdseed while you chew it over.

#99 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

To me it seems goons are a bunch of loosely connected people who do whatever they please to amuse themselves, may it annoy or offend others, but always keep it just a tad bit under purely offensive. Is that good or bad? I guess you all can decide for yourselves.

The closest comparison would be school bullies who bully a kid for whatever they do.
But who are the bullies and who aren't isn't so clear.

Edited by Tyrael Snow, 14 August 2012 - 10:31 AM.
Code of Conduct

#100 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

^^^^
Please don't use ableist slurs, it's just rude.

View PostSam Slade, on 14 August 2012 - 07:47 AM, said:

Jingoism is essentially a superiority complex, right? Food for thought maybe?

Have some birdseed while you chew it over.
No, Jingoism is applying the mantra of "a strong offence is the best defence" to forign policy. In context it refers to the attacks upon the name of Goondom and the Word of Lowtax by various forum goers who felt that their ability to enjoy the game would be entirely negated by the presence of any person taking it less seriously than they.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users