Fiction

334 replies to this topic

#41 Grafvitnir

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

No detailed bio yet, sorry. Tonight I swear.
For the record I'll be playing the Vincent-class SLS Defiant and her ASF squadron; 797th Heavy Strike, the Cold Sun Strikers. If nobody else claims a Vincent I'm willing to make her the leader of the corvette group.
I'd also be happy to create a marine character if and when more are needed.

#42 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:21 AM

Tempted to take the Quixote class frigates, missiles are rather sexy in my book.

Sadly they appear a bit slow and I am looking to find something similar to a "U-boat" in space. :)

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 19 August 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#43 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

U boats weren't exactly speed demons and with a bit of stealth you could be a nightmare to ASF fighters...

#44 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Indeed, U-boats were slower than most ships of the time. :)

Plus it leaves the potential for so many "the man from La Mancha" references.

#45 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'd love to play as a marine boarding party member for the Taurians, if you will have me. Have to break out the manuals for CQC fighting and maneuvering.

#46 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm beginning to feel like our carriers are all alone Chaos :( :P

Edited by Oni Storm, 19 August 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#47 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Announcing the SLS Voidwalker, Riga class, and its complement and crew

Commodore Giachetta Serrano - Commanding Officer, SLS Voidwalker
(Linguistics note: since it’s Italian, the ‘ch’ in Giachetta’s name is pronounced like an English ‘k’)
A rising star within the SLDF, well noted for her tactical acumen and good use of scarce resources. The Voidwalker is her second command and her first WarShip command; she has most recently been the executive officer aboard the Quixote-class SLS Emissary, and before that was the commanding officer of the Pentagon-class SLS Foxglove.

Commodore Serrano has only recently gained command of the Voidwalker, an unusual feat for a woman of just 30. She’s proud of her talents and has little regard for those who fail to meet her mark, a fact which grates on some of her crew, in particular her somewhat lackluster hyperspace navigator, Warrant Officer Misao Watanabe, and her relatively green piloting team.

Major Gary Kyle - Commanding Officer, 117th Independent Aero Wing
A patient and calculating man, Major Kyle wields his squadrons like a rapier. He dislikes big dogfights, preferring to separate his targets from their support before making a sudden strike. Though he gets along well with his second in command, Captain Lewis Bass, the wing’s third squadron commander, Captain Stephanie Barrier, comes from a ground attack background; their disagreements about aerospace tactics have left a certain amount of ice between them, though no breakdowns of command yet.

Major Kyle has a wife and two children back on Kathil, who he hasn’t seen for two years while on tour. Rumours below decks are that he and Commodore Serrano are having an affair, though they have remained strictly professional in company.

Other assets
The Voidwalker is host to three aerospace squadrons (the 806th "Shieldbreakers", a Stuka/Eagle naval attack squadron; the 888th "Snowmen", a Sabre interceptor squadron; and the 201st "Saviors", a Samurai ground attack squadron). The 201st are mounted aboard a brand-new Leopard CV class DropShip, the SLS Frontier (under Captain Uzay Yakin). The Voidwalker also carries the SLS Pelican, a Vulture-class DropShip, and its complement of 144 marines (the 199th Marine Battalion under the command of Major Marie Tor) and their vehicles (six Maultier hover APCs, 3 Cobra VTOLs, a pair of Packrats, and a lone engineering vehicle). Finally, it also carries four K-1 DropShuttles for surface-to-orbit transfers.

PS The Maultiers and the Packrats (and possibly the Cobras) are technically a little ahead of their time. Considering that there's not a whole lot of vehicles available in 2581 (stock 1-ton APCs, anyone?) I took the liberty of borrowing them to represent equivalent vehicles. It's probably going to be moot anyway, since I'm not expecting a whole lot of ground combat in this naval game. Also, I'm using the ComGuard WarShip Fleet Marines to represent the 199th as generic SLDF marines, since I figure they're probably where ComStar got the idea.

Edit PPS: And just so you know, I've had MekHQ generate names, skills, positions and ranks for the full 500 or so people living in or around the Voidwalker. Ask me if you want details. ;)

Edited by Sparks Murphey, 19 August 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#48 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

SLDF Bureau of Military Intelligence
Classified Report
Security Level 2
For Your Eyes Only
Partial File

Boss

I nicked this off the desk of a BMI crony named Abbot. He's a subtle as a brick, might as well use a big red stamp that says "TOP SECRET". This is going to be my last report till i know i'm clear. BMI is wandering if an outside agency is in the nest, they're probing to deep won't be long before they figure out that that I'm not playing for the same home team. I need to get back to the Family, i'm talking yesterday Boss. Give the kids a hug from uncle Blue.

Name: Darroh Mayfly (Possibly fake, BMI doesn't know)
Date of birth: ?/?/?
Current Duty Station: Last reports place him with the TDF marines, leading a band calling themselves the "China shop boys".

Bio: We don't got much on this one. The name Darroh Mayfly doesn't show up in any database, but the Mayfly surname does. Dirt farmers who Davion commercial interests muscled (real dirty stuff too) out of their plot of paradise to build a shopping center. Family went poor, too of the sons (Liam and Orison) bounced in and out of jail during their formative years, before doing hardtime for murdering the family of the poor SOB who built a McKing's Fried Chicken on top of the farm houses foundation. The Bulls don't keep prison records worth anything, but we know they both got life. Information ends there, when we took Bromhead every cell on the planet was empty, guess they'd prefer their misguided sons to be out raping and murdering their new Starleague masters. Fastfoward a few years an informant (one of the few who hasn't been strung up from a lamb post with his eye and tongue cut out) reports a 'Darroh Mayfly' leading a group of suicide demo teams under Tankian-Calderon's wings (or Horns...whatever). No records of Darroh, could be Lamb or Orison or some other inbred yokel, doesn't look like Abbot had anything tangible on him. just these leads.

Assessment: What we don't know about the man, we know about his crew. The "China Shop Boys". They do it bloody and they do it big. Three ten man teams, real mix bag of "talent". Heavy losses make keeping tabs nearly impossible. Last year they racked up an impressive tally, forty seven boys dead to the three jumpships they blew to kingdom come. Forensics says they used industrial grade stuff, like you'd mine a belt with. One of the teams didn't even attempt to get out of the blast. My opinion? Who ever he is, he's a smaller player, in a big game. Get him away from Tankian-Calderon's zealots and his supply of bodies is gone.

Personally I wish we had a few guys like him. We've gone soft

Get me back to the Family
Blue.

#49 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Sorry to Call abbot out Rogue. Just like to keep it all weaving together.

#50 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

//Wait, you stole from your own employer's guy? o.O Also no worries! I liked the call out ;)

SLDF Bureau of Military Intelligence
Classified
Security Level 3
For Your Eyes Only

Commander,

Commodore Burrough and his men were apparently spotted entering a small motel outside of the city centre - shortly before the motel caught fire and burned to the ground. Our volunteered informant indicated they may have been transferred there by elements of the city's underworld.
At this time, what we know suggests to the Taurian Naval Delegation having been murdered and the evidence covered up, or simply undiscovered. RWR is remaining silent on the issue, the Concordat has sent no follow up agents as best we can tell - we have all their known agents marked. Strangely, their agents seem utterly nonplussed. Something's going on here sir.

Assessment: Criminal elements could not be responsible, or both governments would be directing significant assets to bear. However they may be involved. I will begin moving our units into the Apollan underworld to see what can be found.

-Abbot

Edited by RogueSpear, 19 August 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#51 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 19 August 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

//Wait, you stole from your own employer's guy? o.O Also no worries! I liked the call out ;)

Spy stuff, You know Classifed info

#52 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Blue-9

Black van seen running red light with a cake on it's way.

Taxi delayed til the cow gets caught in mid jump for the moon.

Don't forget your dock martins for after work.

See you there, Bossman

Edited by Oni Storm, 19 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#53 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostSparks Murphey, on 19 August 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

PPS: And just so you know, I've had MekHQ generate names, skills, positions and ranks for the full 500 or so people living in or around the Voidwalker. Ask me if you want details. :P

When I mentioned "details", I was thinking "details of the crew and who they are", not "details of how MekHQ works", but for those who are curious, I've posted a guide to using it on the forums: http://mwomercs.com/...or-fan-fiction/

#54 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

HA! That is what you get for posting ambiguously at late Euro hours(when I am no longer sober).

Now since you are already writing, I request, nay demand a detailed character analysis of all 500 of these people... :P

(Thanks!)

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 19 August 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#55 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostVodkavaiator, on 19 August 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

HA! That is what you get for posting ambiguously at late Euro hours(when I am no longer sober).

Now since you are already writing, I request, nay demand a detailed character analysis of all 500 of these people... :)

(Thanks!)

I second Vod's idea.

#56 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Sigh. Alright, then.

(Where did I put those monkey-proof typewriters...?)

#57 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Can there be some romance between shipmates?

I do so love a moving tale of love and loss in space.

--------------

Will do my utmost to right some character sheet or application tonight, only managed to sleep an hour tonight so I feel like I need to take a nap now. :)

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 20 August 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#58 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostVodkavaiator, on 20 August 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Can there be some romance between shipmates?

I do so love a moving tale of love and loss in space.

--------------

Will do my utmost to right some character sheet or application tonight, only managed to sleep an hour tonight so I feel like I need to take a nap now. :D

Of course you can - love and loss is a powerful story telling weapon.

#59 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Okay here is a bio to TWO different marines for the Tuarians, okay one, or the other, or maybe even both.

Name: John Christensen

Height: 6'7"

Build: Musclular, and wide, he has brown hair, brown eyes, and a scar over his left eye, which he received when CQC got ugly and knives were drawn.

Bio: John has been with the Taurian Navy for years, but this assignment was new. He had received four battlefield commendations, and then been demoted three times, once for striking a superior officer and then calling him a dumbass. He fights alongside his marines with a tactical mind, but an aggressive mentality. He has fought against all types of enemies, from pirates, to a couple engagements with the Magistracy of Canopus, which while most were skirmishes, one was a pitched naval battle. He is skilled in breaching from NANG (No Atmosphere No Gravity, space, or 'exosuit' an armored space suit, required), and from hangar bays. He is also good in CQC, but engaging at longer ranges is his weakpoint, (as in, sniping). Most known for his attitude where he leads by example, and from the front. He also as noted before is not afraid of someone's rank, or position, and will let them know of it regularly.

Name: Derek Champlain

Height: 6'4"

Build: Muscular, not as wide as John, think Defensive End in football, that kind of size. Brown Hair, Blue eyes, no scars.

Bio: Green recruit sent in as a replacement for some of the losses to John's Squad. He has never seen combat, but has a good shooting skill, and is definitely a by-the-book soldier. He knows what they taught him at Marine School, (CQC, shooting, hand-to-hand), but is not as skilled as any of the veterans.

#60 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Hey Guardian,

Are you set on being on the Taurian side? We don't have any SLDF marines and at least two others being Taurian Marines.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users