Anti-missile systems - selectable?

51 replies to this topic

#1 Sidewinder619

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Wondering if the player, if equipped with an anti-missile system would be able to chose what to shoot down or would it fire on its own? Multiple incoming salvos would pose a problem, but I'd like to choose if possible - thoughts?

#2 Vertous

• PipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSummerville, SC

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

In living legends the anti missile systems were automatic. I think if it were me, it would be awfully hard to fight the mech in front of you and take on incoming salvos at the same time.

#3 SaintGrey

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGet Off My Lawn

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Why would you not want to shoot down missiles that are coming towards you?

#4 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

From memory, you could turn the AMS/LAMS on or off at will in MW3. Is that what you mean? It would be near impossible to choose between incoming missiles and decide which you want to shoot down. Even if you could, why would you ever opt to get shot?

#5 Nathiel Surefire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationQuantum State

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

The problem with a purely automatic AMS system comes from if you want to stay hidden and a few stray missiles fly past above you. Suddenly you create a light show above you and can only curse while the enemy immediately knows where you're hiding. Though this begs the question, is AMS even going to be in the game? I thought that tech came out later in the timeline, or is that just me?...

Edited by Nathiel Surefire, 02 February 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#6 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

I hope they're in the game. Should be relatively simple to activate and deactivate... However I don't think they'd be shooting down stray missiles that aren't targeted at you? Unless dumbfire missiles are in the game... So the worry about the AMS lighting up the sky should be a non-issue unless the enemy already knows you're there. I'd think the AMS would only fire at missiles locked onto your mech.

#7 Wahlnutz

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I could be wrong in this, but I'm pretty sure that an AMS will only target and intercept missles that are inbound to the Battlemech it is attached to. Otherwise it would be a huge waste of ammo to shoot at missles that are going to another target. Much easier to shoot a missle coming straight at you as apposed to trying to hit one moving past at an angle.

#8 Death Blossom

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Weren't the real rules for ammo for AMS systems ridiculously limited? Seemed like they would be useless after one or two salvos coming in and they still were not guaranteed to hit any missiles.

#9 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostNathiel Surefire, on 02 February 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

The problem with a purely automatic AMS system comes from if you want to stay hidden and a few stray missiles fly past above you. Suddenly you create a light show above you and can only curse while the enemy immediately knows where you're hiding. Though this begs the question, is AMS even going to be in the game? I thought that tech came out later in the timeline, or is that just me?...

The IS had the standard (MG-based) AMS in 3040 (rediscovered by the FedCom).
The IS (the FedCom, specifically) developed the laser-based AMS in 3054.

I could see making AMS auto-targeting for missiles locked onto the BattleMech (though, would it still be able to detect/track dead-fired missiles?) and having an on/off toggle for the player.
Having the player manually aiming the AMS seems to be a bit much, IMO.

#10 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

View Postwahlnutz, on 02 February 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I could be wrong in this, but I'm pretty sure that an AMS will only target and intercept missles that are inbound to the Battlemech it is attached to. Otherwise it would be a huge waste of ammo to shoot at missles that are going to another target. Much easier to shoot a missle coming straight at you as apposed to trying to hit one moving past at an angle.

I don't agree with that. The power of the AMS in Mechwarrior 2 Mercs or in Mechwarrior 3 or MWLL is that you can use one to protect an ally. The usefulness of this is clear. Throw an AMS on a defensive mech and use it to protect your commander or your Catapult.

Hopefully the AMS has a toggle, though. I don't want it to fire all the time.

#11 SaintGrey

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGet Off My Lawn

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 02 February 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

I don't agree with that. The power of the AMS in Mechwarrior 2 Mercs or in Mechwarrior 3 or MWLL is that you can use one to protect an ally. The usefulness of this is clear. Throw an AMS on a defensive mech and use it to protect your commander or your Catapult.

Hopefully the AMS has a toggle, though. I don't want it to fire all the time.

The same mechanic was also simulated in the BT Card game, can't remember the rules for Classic BT. Can someone confirm if AMS provide a bonus to near by units in Classic BT?

#12 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

i would love a toggle switch for hiding as well as a toggle to allow your AMS to target missles bound for allies mechs or facilities for defense missions.

#13 Ian MacLeary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationChiron Beta Prime

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 02 February 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

i would love a toggle switch for hiding as well as a toggle to allow your AMS to target missles bound for allies mechs or facilities for defense missions.

This would probably be a module unlocked by Pilot Points spent in the Defender role, if it is included in the game.

#14 FACEman Peck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationB.F.E.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

I personally like the way MW4 Mercs had it, shot down the first 2 salvos, and took the rest.

#15 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

It wouldn't hurt to have it. I don't see it being practical since it would only activate if the missiles were passing close enough to you that you would probably be in the LOS and not really hidden anymore. But if it floats your boat, it would be easy to code and wouldn't affect my game play so I vote good idea.

#16 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

I always had the problem in MW3 of the AMS taking down missiles near me or shorter salvos and depleting the ammo. Then when I get getting confronted with serious incoming at the climax, I was SOL.

I wouldn't mind being able to toggle on/off.

#17 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I personally like the idea of having AMS be able to shoot down missiles heading for teammates, maybe they do so by default or require modules to do so. But i'd love to see it happen.

There is a certain warm fuzzy quality in MWLL when your unit is providing a mobile bubble of AMS protection to your allies, or when the enemy is trying to rain missiles down on you, but because your teammates have so many AMS systems in near proximity, nothing gets through.

I do think ammo wise they should last a bit longer than they do in the TT, but i'll agree, you should be able to shut them off to avoid giving away your position. Otherwise the enemy might just fire off odd misiles over a wide area to spot you

#18 osito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, ca

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

ams are directed by your radar, and usually the ams has an area of denial set up. so missles that are within that area (usaually set up around your mech) are targeted. I think if the let you expand their area on the ams it will cover people near you. Also their must be a on/off switch. cause if i am moving or the chance of it hiting me are low i dont want to use it, i would save it till i need it like if a mech loaded with srms happens to have a good shot at me.

#19 Ravn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 538 posts
  • LocationMN or ID or...Middle East

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

Very good point. I rescind my not practical comment.

#20 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

AMS should protect allies but then again the AMS system should not be so uber that it makes Catapults and Longbows useless, because it is a definite possibility that people will use over lapping AMS to cover themselves and the team.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users