The Jolly Rogers!

463 replies to this topic

#121 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 06 February 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

I have a Combat Engineer background. Was most involved with breaching and room clearing with an infantry unit but, one tour in Afghanistan had me doing route clearance. We used to call ourselves the Afghan Pinatas since we were wanting them to reveal themselves by drawing ambushes out and when they did, they shot at you like they were blindfolded. ;)

ah nice... i have a soft spot for combat engineers... always good for clearing a mine field, but i prefer to lay one (mine field that is) with fascam :D

#122 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

View PostCPTAmerica, on 06 February 2012 - 08:01 PM, said:

If it's there, the Grand Dragon would fit the bill nice with its speed. I would actually vote against it though because it pull power away from you punch. Anything more than what a team could handle should be left to the other lances anyways. Now, if there aren't any weight limits then heck, throw a couple of Dragons and Ravens together. Speed, firepower, armor, and electronics all together in one dynamic duo.

A rear guard like that will definitely need to be trusted as a strong "team" player. They may not get many chances to earn a whole lot of XP in the rear unless of course we get flanked. I'll do it though if you want to use that tactic.

Well, was thinking of the idea of having an fast assault being on hand to discourage early game forays more then later ones, or to help cover gaps in intel when commander abilities are down or if we've lost a scout/etc. They'd not be far beyond the main force (assuming we aren't covering more then one area...) but not so close as to risk detection from enemy scouts or be too far they couldn't quickly rejoin their main body.

Speaking of XP, we're still not sure how everything is awarded. If I give a unit an order to be in the rear and they follow it, he'll get just as much xp as those forward, so it may be a non issue depending on how things go. Still something to talk about, and stuff we can't really know till the game actually hits. Depends on how long the matches actually end up lasting, on average.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 06 February 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#123 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

The main problem: way too much we DON'T know, LOL! Most of this would be dealt with if we had the ability to play, eh?

#124 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostL`zard, on 06 February 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

The main problem: way too much we DON'T know, LOL! Most of this would be dealt with if we had the ability to play, eh?

Yea, but we're just having a bit of fun ;)

#125 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

GET SOME!

I mean, might as well, there's so many different things to contemplate, eh?

Edited by L`zard, 06 February 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#126 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Alright, Im in, check your PM's, I sent the detailed copy there. Talk to you guys soon.

Edit : How many we have now? im counting 6. Not a bad start, we have our first Lance + a half. Lets kick this recruitment thing into overdrive. We put a website up yet ? Im not the best with these things, but in the last guild I inherited in Rift awhile back we used Enjin.com....it was pretty user friendly and was awesome for recruitment. I would be willing to put one together if we dont have one / someone else isnt already working on this. Just my little way to pitch in and help out while we wait to have our mechs and ammunition delivered (aka game release).

Edited by Azantia, 06 February 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#127 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Glad to see ya, Azantia!

You'll have to wait for morning and Mr.'The Hangman' on the site issue. I've been slapped too many times, LOL!

#128 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

L`zard, my first attempt at a callsign for you shall be : "Old Bones" And of course, I say that with the deepest respect *grin*

To make old bones :
1. To live to old age
2. To last a long time; to last or store well.

GenSheridan : I was thinking something along the lines of "Peg-Leg" cause you play with mines (explosives), or Stumpy....then I used a pirate nickname generator...put in GenSheridan in the name and low and behold, out of 5 possible choices......#4 = Peg-Leg, that seals it for me.

p.s. L'zard your best one was Gertrude Firepants....L'zard "Firepants".........

Maybe I should stop while I am ahead. And no, you dont get to know what my best choice of five was.

Edited by Azantia, 06 February 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#129 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:22 AM

On the topic if a website, we can either see what a member can whip up, since I can't really make/run a website. We've also been offered a spot on Dihm's webhost if we want, uobgaming.com. Says he designed it that he can host multiple Mechwarrior units on it. http://www.uobgaming...-The-Skjaldborg

I don't mind what we want to do, if we want a bit more control then having a forum hosted for us (though we'd be able to alter graphics/etc and be mods/admins) or just have our own from scratch. If you want to do it Azantia, go for it ;)

For callsigns, if L'zard doesn't like the "old" part, could just call him Bones (or Lizard, like his name suggests :D) if he likes that. We could continue the pirate/naval theme with stuff like Gang plank or Shipwreck for him or others, etc. Doesn't have to be nautical, was just to drum up ideas. Could also be something we decide because of actions in game, whatever works.

#130 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:03 AM

No problem with old, or being old for that matter (took me YEARS to do it)........but we may wish to see what happens in combat, LOL!

I'd say "if Azantia wants to, so be it"!

Edited by L`zard, 07 February 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#131 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

While I'll probably wind up in an allied but separate unit, it's good to see you guys starting to tackle some of the things that make up a successful team already.

I especially like your focus on the recon aspect of the game, but I do have to point something out to you guys. The RVN-3L Raven isn't available to AFFS forces as anything other than salvage at this point in the time line. There's some 4th SW salvage of the old RVN-1X and -2X models available, but they don't have the electronics package that the -3L is known for.

*Battletech Professor mode ON*

That being said though, we do have the option of using a design that is actually better than the Raven in the scouting role. I'd like to direct your attention to the OTT-7Jb Ostscout. Now, I'll be the first to admit that the OTT series doesn't have the prestige that the RVN series has, due to it's obscurity, but the advantages that it has are great.

First of all, it's faster. As the RVN-3L tops out at a mere 97.2 kph, the OTT-7Jb blazes past that mark with a top speed in excess of 129.6 kph and also have a full 240 meter jump capability, something that the Liao-produced Raven design does not offer.

Secondly, it has an all energy weapon loadout. Unlike the RVN series, which depends upon a mix of lasers and SRMs, the OTT series is strictly laser based, perfect for extended patrol and recon duties.

Third, the OTT series also packs a Beagle Active Probe, in addition to it's normal electronic suite. That ELINT suite, by the way, is also the only known ELINT system in the Inner Sphere which allows terrain mapping on the move, something that no other design can claim.

Finally, the OTT series boasts a direct linkage back to the SLDF's Royal Regiments. Unlike the RVN series, which is reliant upon House Liao's faulty understanding of lostech, the OTT-7Jb was designed and manufactured at the height of the Star League by manufacturers which fully understood the secrets of lostech and therefore could unlock their greatest potential.

#132 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostPaladin1, on 07 February 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

While I'll probably wind up in an allied but separate unit, it's good to see you guys starting to tackle some of the things that make up a successful team already.

I especially like your focus on the recon aspect of the game, but I do have to point something out to you guys. The RVN-3L Raven isn't available to AFFS forces as anything other than salvage at this point in the time line. There's some 4th SW salvage of the old RVN-1X and -2X models available, but they don't have the electronics package that the -3L is known for.

Two things really, first is that they aren't having 'mechs be House specific, so if a Raven is in game it's going to be used by every single force in the IS so that point is moot, and secondly I've only considered the Raven because the Ostscout is unseen and unlikely to make the cut. I've got a big 'mech list of what I'd like to see http://mwomercs.com/...sphere-edition/ here, and the ostscout would probably be my chosen Scout due to speed. And...I've always been fond the the Ostscout, never really got the Raven craze though I suppose it's not a horrible 'mech.

I really hope we hear something about the status of the unseen and MW:O, but I think we'll get a big info dump around the time of the GDC which isn't too far away.

It'll be nice to play with you wherever you end up, Paladin, hope things go well :)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 07 February 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#133 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, I suspect that we'll hear something around GDC as well, or at least I hope we do.

I hadn't heard that they were going the non-faction specific route for `Mech designs, this gives me pause due to how the INN news releases have been handled to date. I was under the impression that, because of the 1-to-1 decision in regards to the timeline and the decision to stick as close to established canon up to the release date, faction specific `Mechs would be a foregone conclusion.

The idea that this might not be the case gives me reason to wonder what else we've assumed wrongly.

I do have a question for you though Jack, have you looked into setting up a Table of Organization yet for your unit? I realize that until we have more info, it's going to be kind of hard to do but it's something else to think about and I've got a bit of experience in setting them up so I could offer a little advice from a tactical point of view if anyone is interested.

#134 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Did I see that right? Did paladin just suggest a ToE? *flashbacks to military life and inventories* *panic attack*

#135 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 07 February 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yeah, I suspect that we'll hear something around GDC as well, or at least I hope we do.

I hadn't heard that they were going the non-faction specific route for `Mech designs, this gives me pause due to how the INN news releases have been handled to date. I was under the impression that, because of the 1-to-1 decision in regards to the timeline and the decision to stick as close to established canon up to the release date, faction specific `Mechs would be a foregone conclusion.

The idea that this might not be the case gives me reason to wonder what else we've assumed wrongly.

I do have a question for you though Jack, have you looked into setting up a Table of Organization yet for your unit? I realize that until we have more info, it's going to be kind of hard to do but it's something else to think about and I've got a bit of experience in setting them up so I could offer a little advice from a tactical point of view if anyone is interested.

From Developer Q&A3

Do factions have access to unique mechs or weapons? -cobrafive

[BRYAN] No. Prices may vary, but everyone has equal access to items.

And no, I haven't set up a TO&E yet for the Jolly Rogers. The unit itself is only a few days old and I've yet to get down to the meat of the rest of the fluff/etc atm. If I do decide to do that, I'll definitely take you up on the offer, same with any input from the unit itself.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 07 February 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#136 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

View PostAzantia, on 07 February 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Did I see that right? Did paladin just suggest a ToE? *flashbacks to military life and inventories* *panic attack*

Sorry, didn't mean to give you PTSD or anything!

Here's my peace offering, honest!

Posted Image

#137 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostPaladin1, on 07 February 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Sorry, didn't mean to give you PTSD or anything!

Here's my peace offering, honest!

I think I'd rather eat a claymore.

<.<

>.>

lol.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 07 February 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#138 GenSheridan

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

yah, a claymore will have more.... ummmm... bite :)

#139 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

OK, then.....are we ready to unlease the site?

#140 Azantia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Blackburn's Raiders have a new website up at www.blackburns-raiders.enjin.com

Edited by Azantia, 08 February 2012 - 03:12 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users