Timberwolf Mki And Mad Dog Prime

172 replies to this topic

#21 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

She's lookin' mighty fine! Can't wait to see it once finished.

#22 TG Xarbala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationCan I get back to you on that?

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

That's some great modelling work!

I just wish the TRO Madcat had arms that looked like they could actually contain myomer bundles in them. That always bugs me about some of the Clan Omnis. Even the resculpt is kind of gangly-armed.

#23 Ryven Kael

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

I hope that this mech comes into the game eventually. It and the Ryoken were my two favorite mechs ever

#24 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Great work so far!

#25 MarauderDeuce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:49 AM

I am green with envy and drooling with anticipation.

#26 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

The finished arms are great. The Madcat/Timberwolf has always been one of my favorite mechs. I love the way yours looks so far, and I can't wait to see what you do with the legs.

#27 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

View PostGreyrook, on 22 August 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

She's lookin' mighty fine! Can't wait to see it once finished.

You and me both!

View PostTG Xarbala, on 22 August 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

That's some great modelling work!

I just wish the TRO Madcat had arms that looked like they could actually contain myomer bundles in them. That always bugs me about some of the Clan Omnis. Even the resculpt is kind of gangly-armed.

Even most of the technical diagrams don't seem to show any myomer in the original Clan Omnimechs. Look at the "Visible Vulture" drawing in the first print of TRO3050. Lotsa guts, but no metal muscle!

View PostRyven Kael, on 22 August 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

I hope that this mech comes into the game eventually. It and the Ryoken were my two favorite mechs ever

Come to think if it, I don't know if anyone's modeled the Ryoken/Storm Crow outside of a videogame setting.

View PostxChaoSx, on 22 August 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Great work so far!

View PostMarauderDeuce, on 23 August 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

I am green with envy and drooling with anticipation.

View PostWilliam Chase Davion, on 23 August 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

The finished arms are great. The Madcat/Timberwolf has always been one of my favorite mechs. I love the way yours looks so far, and I can't wait to see what you do with the legs.

Thanks guys!

I have an idea what I want to do with the legs. Especially how I plan to do the knee joint. The actual look on the other hand I need to work out still. But in the meantime, I made the lower torso. Or turn table? Not sure what to call this part. It's supposedly where the hip actuators and gyro are located.

Small update today. First the blocked out shape:
Posted Image

Then the details.
Posted Image

#28 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hana, you must realize I'm watching this thread with high interest. Obviously I know your an awesome artist, think we met on the MW:LL dev ts3 a long time ago, but I'm on the edge of my seat on this thread because the Timber Wolf is my all time fav Clan mech. As a modeler myself, I'm enjoying the detail and time your putting into this project! Keep up the great work!

#29 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Posted Image

The level of detail on this is just astonishing. I want to know how you're able to put so much detailing into the mesh so fast, but at the same time I don't want to spoil the magic.

#30 Unluccy

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostCaveMan, on 24 August 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

The level of detail on this is just astonishing. I want to know how you're able to put so much detailing into the mesh so fast, but at the same time I don't want to spoil the magic.

I too am getting more and more interested in your modeling techniques. How do you approach the detailing process and which techniques do you use?

#31 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

The main detailing method I use is called "Three Levels of Detail." As for the modeling itself, I just use the tools that are available in the program.

This is a pretty basic bit of object manipulation. I usually start with a cube, and using the Bevel, Extrude, and Slice tools, I'll turn a cube into a nurnie (or greeble, kibble, whatever you want to call it).

As I said, I start with a Cube:
Posted Image

Then I round the corners. Using the Bevel tool, I set the angle to 90 degrees. That makes the bevel flush with that side of the cube. Next I use Extrude and using a negative number (-0.5), I can make an indent.
Posted Image

Next I selected two more sides. Using Extrude again with a positive number (0.05) I make what appears to be plates.
Posted Image

Repeat what I did in step 2 and 3:
Posted Image

Selecting that interior side. I used the slice tool. Then extrude to make this rounded plate. I just moved it up to to make it easier to work on.
Posted Image

Copied the first block and shrank it.
Posted Image

Made another cube with the dimensions 0.025, 0.2, 0.45 and copied it a number of times. Then fit those into the shrunken modified cube. This looks sort of like a vent or grill.
Posted Image

Glued the pieces together and copied it.
Posted Image

Made a cylinder (32 edges, 2x2m) and shrunk the top side to 1.5m. Then selected every-other-face. Used bevel on those faces at 45 degrees and 0.01 height.
Posted Image

Added the angled, ridged cylinder to the plate, shrank it, and fit the three pieces into the hole I made earlier. Then made a cylinder with 8 sides (to look like a hex nut). I also dropped the plate with rounded corners onto the top of the modified cube and added a bevel (45 deg, 0.01 height) to take off the sharp edge.
Posted Image

Shrank the hexagon and place it at the corner of the top plate.
Posted Image

Then copied the hex and placed them at opposite corners. This will give the illusion of bolts holding the plate in place.
Posted Image

Now the final render using basic white lighting and Ambient Occlusion for shadows.
Posted Image

Edited by HanaYuriko, 24 August 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#32 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Now this is pretty much what I do for every piece. I'll also move single edges, lines or points to get the shapes I want. For more complicated shapes, I'll use the dreaded Boolean tools (Object Weld, Subtraction, and Intersection) to make cutouts or weld parts together to make a single object. I'll also make a jig to make really tricky shapes and pieces that I can't normally do with the above techniques.

To save a lot of time, I have a collection of greebles to add to my models as surface details. I'll also reuse parts from older models to enhance newer builds.

Also, to expand on "Three Levels of Detail" It's basically layering detail on top of detail. You have a basic surface (level 1). Then you add plates, bevels, or indents (Level 2). Then on top of that, you add in another layer of detail. Pipes, bolts, hatches, vents, or whatever. But the trick is to make the parts you add look functional. As if they BELONG there. Not just slap on anything to fill space. You'll end up with a cluttered, messy look with parts that don't make sense.

Edited by HanaYuriko, 24 August 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#33 Unluccy

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thank you so much for this in-depth look at your process! Nothing of that surprised me and yet that to me is the surprise: I would have approached everything about the same way, yet I never go into this much detail. You have definitely inspired me to try harder!

#34 tbpimaster

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

This is simple amazing.
I've always loved the timber wolf/mad cat, and you've made them really clean and precise looking.
Well done!!!!

#35 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

There was some trouble figuring out how I want to do the upper leg. So I decided to start at the bottom and work my way up. I was also super busy without access to my desktop in the past few days. As a result, all I've been able to do so far is the foot.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm thinking: maybe they wouldn't want to put a radiator or vent or whatever on the foot? Seems like it would be really prone to getting clogged up with mud, or having debris get lodged in there. 75 tons of 'Mech goes stomping into soft ground and I can see all kinds of muck getting gooshed up inbetween the toes.

#37 Nakuru

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationEating bacon under a bridge

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Color me impressed. Can't wait to see the finished model.

#38 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostCaveMan, on 28 August 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

I'm thinking: maybe they wouldn't want to put a radiator or vent or whatever on the foot? Seems like it would be really prone to getting clogged up with mud, or having debris get lodged in there. 75 tons of 'Mech goes stomping into soft ground and I can see all kinds of muck getting gooshed up inbetween the toes.

I was thinking the same thing but figured it wasn't my place to mention it. It looks awesome thus far.

#39 MarauderDeuce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

Random for giggles thought - put a Give Way sign on the bottom of each foot. :)

#40 DogKiller11

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:05 AM

This looks fantastic. You've really got an eye for technical detail. Did you study this stuff at university?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users