Timberwolf Mki And Mad Dog Prime

172 replies to this topic

#1 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

OK, let me say this right off. If you recognize the parts on this model as being reused. That's because they were. On my other models! My original intent was to construct a highly detailed model that looks like it could actually be built. Using what I could find from real weapons and systems as a basis for design.

I started this build sometime in 2010 (Really? That long ago? Wow...) and having modified an Elemental, completed a Goliath, Locust, and Warhammer using parts from THIS very project, I figured it was high time I got back to it.

Also maybe making the build public will nudge me to continue it. So let me start with a bit of an image dump and share what I have so far. Sadly I didn't save the earliest images in my build, but these should do.

We'll start with the most prominent feature of the TWolf: It's cockpit.

Yes, that's a fire extinguisher hidden in there. I put a few nifty details in the interior like that.

Starting with the canopy and surface details:

And the orthographic render of the progress thus far.

More to come...

-edit-
Old images removed

Edited by HanaYuriko, 28 July 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#2 Greyrook

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Neato

#3 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

With this set, I focused on the LRM launchers. As this is the MkI version, it's armed with twin LRM15s instead of LRM20s. While I was trying to figure out the scale of the missiles, keeping in mind how many are supposed to fit in the torso, I also tried to keep to the look of the TRO art. I would change the launcher design as you'll see in a later post.

Now you can see where I got the shape for my Warhammer's SRM6 model. It was a heavy edit, but I was able to make it fit the style of an Innersphere weapon.

-edit-
Old images removed

Edited by HanaYuriko, 28 July 2013 - 03:49 AM.

#4 xR1pp3Rx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 200 posts
  • Locationpacific north west

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

hanna your work messmerizes me!

#5 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

I can't wait to see more.

#6 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Man! This is amazing.

View PostWilliam Chase Davion, on 21 August 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

Absolutely!

#7 Rajen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

Nice work! ;)

#8 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostGreyrook, on 20 August 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Neato

View PostxR1pp3Rx, on 21 August 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

hanna your work messmerizes me!

View PostWilliam Chase Davion, on 21 August 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

View PostThe Birdeater, on 21 August 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Man! This is amazing.

Absolutely!

View PostRajen, on 21 August 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Nice work! :D

Thanks guys! Here's some more images of this work in progress.

In this next set, I started working on torso details. I'd looked at a number of different images and other artist interpretations. Because lets face it, there are a LOT of them out there! The Timber Wolf/Madcat is like the U.S.S. Enterprise of Battletech art. Everyone who's into both art and the genre will most likely make one at some point.

Posted Image

This image shows a piece of Pawel Czarneki's TWolf model as I was using his for size and detail reference. For now it was just a place holder as I went in a different design direction.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now I wasn't too happy with how the LRM15s looked so I rebuilt them and started on the shoulders. Unfortunately, once again I ran into a problem of scale. The missiles were too big!
Posted Image
Posted Image

More later.

#9 Greyrook

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

It's shaping up, I do like the second series of LRM racks better, whether the missiles were too big or not.

#10 Sneaky B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

If you feel like the missile is too thin, I can recompute the scale :D

#11 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

IT IS GLORIUS! IT IS BEAUTIFUL!

View PostSneaky B, on 21 August 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

If you feel like the missile is too thin, I can recompute the scale :D

Each LRM weighs only 8.25kg or 18lbs each (tenth the weight of an already small AIM-9 Sidewinder), so they should be pretty thin.

#12 Sneaky B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationArc-Royal

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostZakatak, on 21 August 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

Each LRM weighs only 8.25kg or 18lbs each (tenth the weight of an already small AIM-9 Sidewinder), so they should be pretty thin.

Not necessarily too thin. The diameter can be increased while the length can be reduced while retaining the same volume

#13 Unluccy

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

What I love the most about this is not the great detail work but the sense of functionality. I'm pretty sure a Timberwolf has never felt this "real" to me.

Also that is some very nice lighting for a work in progress documentation. Setting sun instead of the typical global illumination renders.

#14 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostGreyrook, on 21 August 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

It's shaping up, I do like the second series of LRM racks better, whether the missiles were too big or not.

I rather prefer the reworked LRM launchers as well. There's more visual detail in that that just looks cool, as well as more realistic.

View PostSneaky B, on 21 August 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

If you feel like the missile is too thin, I can recompute the scale :)

View PostZakatak, on 21 August 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostSneaky B, on 21 August 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Not necessarily too thin. The diameter can be increased while the length can be reduced while retaining the same volume

Size, weight, and volume leaves out the density of the materials used in construction. To use a BattleTech example, XL engines weigh less, but take up more space within the torso. In this case you have lower density with greater volume. As for my missiles, I just need to scale them down a bit for the visuals.

View PostUnluccy, on 21 August 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

What I love the most about this is not the great detail work but the sense of functionality. I'm pretty sure a Timberwolf has never felt this "real" to me.

Also that is some very nice lighting for a work in progress documentation. Setting sun instead of the typical global illumination renders.

GI and AO are good for providing even lighting and shadows to produce clay renders and show off fine details. Things that would be lost in other types of source lighting, like the setting sun examples.

Moving onto the functionality and realism of the TWolf, I'm trying to express how it is supposed to be built on a modular system. It is the hallmark of OmniMechs after all. As I mounted the LRMs to the torso, I started working on the arms. I wanted to get away from the dryer hose upper arms of the classic model, and went with a more ridged structure. As a test, I'm using my M230 chaingun model as a placeholder.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

So rich in detail and still, you make this look easy. Great 3D work, man!

#16 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostHanaYuriko, on 21 August 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

Posted Image

Mad Cat... I was never really a fan of the mech, nor it's art since every single fan did it at least once, but I must say, this looks so epic. Those details and the sheer size of the whole project, along with a bit newer look...

One of the best 3D models fore sure. ^_^

View PostIronhawk, on 22 August 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

HanaYuriko is "she", not "he". B)

Edited by Adridos, 22 August 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#17 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

Sorry about that. She is a great artist!

#18 DraconisCombine

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

You have amazing talent. I was a huge fan in my youth, and this community is really bringing me back. Incredible work!

#19 William Chase Davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

I like your arms a lot better than the original.

The bigger LRMs look great too.

Edited by William Chase Davion, 22 August 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#20 HanaYuriko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 588 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 22 August 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

View PostAdridos, on 22 August 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

Mad Cat... I was never really a fan of the mech, nor it's art since every single fan did it at least once, but I must say, this looks so epic. Those details and the sheer size of the whole project, along with a bit newer look...

One of the best 3D models fore sure. :)

HanaYuriko is "she", not "he". :D

View PostIronhawk, on 22 August 2012 - 03:00 AM, said:

Sorry about that. She is a great artist!

LOL Thanks guys! Don't worry about the "Great 3D work, man!" line. I figure it was just a phrasing and imagined Cheech Marin saying it.

View PostDraconisCombine, on 22 August 2012 - 03:08 AM, said:

You have amazing talent. I was a huge fan in my youth, and this community is really bringing me back. Incredible work!

Thanks! The more I do this and learn new techniques (and get an upgraded PC) the more my talents progress.

View PostWilliam Chase Davion, on 22 August 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

I like your arms a lot better than the original.

The bigger LRMs look great too.

It's all about expanding and innovating on a design. Build on what they have, take the best parts and try to do better with the rest.

This next image shows the "guts" of the ER Large and ER Medium lasers based on existing laser tech. The main parts of each weapon are the heatsink, the capacitor, generator, chamber, and the emitter. For the ER lasers, I'm using a multi-beam weapon. Several smaller lasers that are combined to make a more powerful singular beam for greater damage potential. The cowling was designed to mimic the original Madcat's hexagonal arm pods.

Posted Image

You can also see the intercooler mounted to the bottom (based on the Madcat tech poster). I originally designed it for this model, but was able to find a spot for it on my Warhammer's PPCs.
Posted Image

After figuring out the elbow joint (which took me a lot longer than it should have) I bring all of these elements together. Some more detailing to the lower part of the torso and we've caught up to my current build status!

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users