Why House Steiner

183 replies to this topic

#81 Arbhall Sommers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWarmed up and mission ready.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

Cause later in the era they deploy the Hollander. Where goes the one gun mech so too do I.
And among the IS they are the least boring. And they deploy gauss rifles more than any other house. I love Gauss Rifles.

#82 KANE LIVES

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 108 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTOTALLY not somewhere worshiping a toaster.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Money. Politics. Atlases. HUZZAH!

#83 Candy Box

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationRuhr, Germany

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

1. convenient dress uniforms - only the FRR and the FWL are equial here
2. mostly female leadership - only second to the MoC
3. german language and social background
4. an awesome unique special operations branche on the intel sector - mainly talkin' here about Lohengrin and Loki
5. good equipment, ranging from battlemechs over vehicles and aerofigthers to infantry weapons
6. some very cool places like Alarion, New Kyoto, Tharkad, Arcturus, Arc-Royal and Galatea
7. the only time in my life i like blue

#84 Merrik Stryfe

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

What the faction descriptions page says:

Government: Constitutional Monarchy (with German Feudal stylings)

The Lyran Commonwealth has never been regarded as a military power, but it remains a political and economic force to be reckoned with. [...]Work, trade and profit are the central concerns of most Lyrans, who have grown accustomed to high standards of living.

What my brain hears:

German speaking Byzantines

That and their reputation for using the biggest, stompiest mechs.

#85 MythicKhan

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

The reasons I just switched from the Free Worlds League are:
  • Relatively peaceful. The Lyran's haven't really started a war.
  • Constitutional Government. The Estates General deposed an Archon without leading to a Civil War!
  • Nice uniforms!
  • Pretty nice place to live in the Inner Sphere really, no dictatorships (well, I know there is that small hiccup later on), unlike the FWL, which is ostensibly a democracy but actually has some nasty governments as part of it.
  • The faction seems a little more fun in general. Besides, there's also the Federation of Skye! :rolleyes:
There we go, my five reasons to like Steiner. Although I must add, that I am not a fan of the Federated Commonwealth, and will want to stay far away from any FedRats. Lyran Commonwealth for the Lyrans!

#86 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm more worried about getting paid, but if I had to fight for a flag, I'd pick the Commonwealth.

#87 Raptor8009

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 148 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, Tn

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

Simple... Power and Intrigue and frankly I like Germans.

Edited by Raptor8009, 08 June 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#88 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

Our Archon comes from a line of hot women. Katrina, Melissa...yeah - you'd sign up to hit that.

#89 DerMaulwurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 599 posts
  • LocationPotato Tier

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

A few excerpts from Handbook House Steiner, which is written from the in-universe position of ComStar, so somewhat neutral

Of the five Successor States, the Lyran Commonwealth probably has the least interest in becoming the dominant force among the war-savaged remains of the old Star League. Formed from the union of three defense leagues, the Commonwealth continues that spirit of self-defense to this day, caring little for glory or war-won riches.

FIghting primarily for self defense appeals to me.

[...]
Indeed, these policies have given the Lyran Commonwealth the highest average standard of living and the most-recovered economy of the Inner Sphere.
[...]
The Lyran Commonwealth is the only Successor State that retains even a hint of the wealth that was once commonplace in the Star League era.

So does a high standard of living.

Through hard work and perseverance, a commoner can actually hope to gain a title. This loose and accessible system of nobility makes the average man aspire to winning a title rather than despising the privilege.

Having nobles sucks (Thanks again Michael Cameron). But you cannot avoid that in the Inner Sphere and having at least some mobility makes it less bad.

Because House Steiner does not rigidly control the individual planets in its realm, there exists a remarkable variety of political philosophies and of lifestyles. At the moment, most of the planetary governments are based on democratic principles.

Again the one-eyed triumphs amongst the blind. Variety can include autocracies, but having democratic element of some form being predominant still beats the rest.

The LC is the place where life is best in the Inner Sphere. For that reason it's my choice.

#90 rilianv

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:34 PM

as far as im concerned, the only good thing about the LC is the money and the mechs. to get either you have to survive the political officers who usually end up getting the entire company killed in a charge against a superior enemy

#91 zues4334

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNot Telling

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Any faction that have giant metal fist and Atlas's are just calling to me!

#92 Exillian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Cuz Germans are cool....

Then I can name my Atlas the Panzer.

#93 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

View PostExillian, on 11 June 2012 - 12:30 AM, said:

Cuz Germans are cool....

That is the last thing that comes in mind when thinking about germans

#94 Chuggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 220 posts
  • LocationKelestra City, Furillo, Grand Duchy of Furillo

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:30 AM

View Postrilianv, on 09 June 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

as far as im concerned, the only good thing about the LC is the money and the mechs. to get either you have to survive the political officers who usually end up getting the entire company killed in a charge against a superior enemy

You should find a better regiment. Those show-ponies in the Lyran Guard aren't fit to polish the boots of a Donegal Guardsman. We get things DONE.

Edited by Chuggernaut, 11 June 2012 - 03:32 AM.

#95 Hell Grunt

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

I have barely any knowledge of Battletech/Mechwarrior lore aside from Mech Commander 2 and Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries, but from what I've gathered is that Liao are a bunch of cowardly backstabbers.

Now for Steiner:
- The vast majority of my favourite mechs are Lyran;
- Best color schemes in general;
- Gray Death Legion;
- The Fist which reminds me of some of my favourite Space Marine chapters, the Imperial Fists and the Crimson Fists;
- Richest faction overall;
- One of the planned commander abilities includes a Lyran reinforcement drop consisting of a company of AI Atlases.

#96 Kenaris

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostLina Thoren, on 20 February 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Because I'm into courtly intrigue, and (from a RP perspective) I like the idea of a social and military structure where one needs both political and military skill to truly prosper.

This 100% I Also find Stiener the most interesting i always have... I have always Played either Steiner or Davion in TT and other Battletech games when i could.

Last but not least i plan to run Assualt Mechs for the most part and who says Assualt Mech more then Steiner

i Also think Steiner will have a very high player popualtaion which means more people to play with

#97 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Posted Image

#98 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Awesome logo, mate!

#99 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostKenaris, on 11 June 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

I also think (House) Steiner will have a very high player popualtaion which means more people to play with

One of the vantages that this game has over many others is that it appeals to both a new and mature crowd, as many of the previous online BattleTech/Mechwarrior games have created and matured many cultural communities that started from these houses, usually with MUCH LESS of the tools and mediums we have today in social networks. Some of these communities are 7+ years old and still remain vibrant - it speaks volumes to the type of character you will meet here. You may not meet inperson or become die hard BFF's with the members, but you can certainly count on having a long lasting sense of appreciation for them that will outlive this game.

Yeah it draws a lot on our natural human sense of belonging; these are one of those gold plated things in life.

#100 Guardsmen83

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 83 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

i love House Steiner my fav IS housePosted Image

but will prob defect too jade falcons if they ever come out

Edited by Guardsmen83, 11 June 2012 - 03:02 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users