Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant)

112 replies to this topic

Poll: Hunchback vs Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang) (338 member(s) have cast votes)

Which would you rather take into battle?

1. Hunchback (161 votes [47.63%])

Percentage of vote: 47.63%

2. Centurion (Yen-Lo-Wang variant) (177 votes [52.37%])

Percentage of vote: 52.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hunchback, that armour is beastly.

#62 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 04 May 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

You're just jealous of Kai's Wang. :)

#63 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

YAY tipped the scale!! 65/64 CENTURION RULES!!!!!

#64 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

BTW they changed the spes on Yen-Lo Wang in one of the novels gauss,tripple strenght myomer ..he saved victor davion in that beast(Kai that is),not to mention the victory on twycross in the great gap..wich he fought not in YLW but in an enforcer..gawd that kid is good((when the time comes)wonder what his skills would be if comming into this game as AI player)).

#65 MostlyHarmless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 138 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

In the current timeline the extra armor of the Hunchie wins, now the later Yen-Lo Wang refit with TSM and the gauss rifle is a total beast!! We have been playing with the canon mech pack that the 1stRR has for mw4 and the extra speed along with the gauss rifle keeps it ahead of all the assaults and heavies tracking. Who ever runs it is generally being cursed at by everyone else until the arm is shot off. I can't wait for the mechlab to see what sort of franken centurion I can make up like the later YLW, even stripping off armor for a bigger engine it would make a killer scout with that huge gun to back up the Ravens and Jenners.

#66 zorak ramone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 04 May 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

Garth is right. Although YLW has an extra weapon, the HBK's armor gives it the edge. The HBK can take an AC20 shot to any torso or the legs without taking critical damage. IIRC, YLW can not take 20 damage on any location without taking a critical hit.

Both mechs have equal chances to hit the head, and both have the same number of MLs to follow up the AC20 for critical hit chances. Since the HBK will score critical hits with every AC20 hit, and YLW will not, this gives the HBK the overall advantage. Still, with medium mechs and AC20s, its anyone's game.

#67 ZOU

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon tyne UK

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

I go for the hunchback, for many of reasons already given, what makes YLW good is the great and brilliant warrior at the controls, pick which of the allard's you think is which.

May be we should another poll :)

#68 Ethan Kell

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCheck your six....

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hunchback, for the armor and weapon position....

Does the YLW's arm fall off with one A/C-20 hit? How close is it to falling off with a 20 point hit to the appropriate torso? That's my only real problem with the 'mech; it doesn't take much to neuter it.

Edited by Ethan Kell, 04 May 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#69 frostfly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

View PostNaughtyboy, on 04 May 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

BTW they changed the spes on Yen-Lo Wang in one of the novels gauss,tripple strenght myomer ..he saved victor davion in that beast(Kai that is),not to mention the victory on twycross in the great gap..wich he fought not in YLW but in an enforcer..gawd that kid is good((when the time comes)wonder what his skills would be if comming into this game as AI player)).

FYI for the fight on Twycross he was in a Hatchetman. He Survived "stackpoling" his mech by using the full head ejection system. Also along for the ride was doctor Lear (mother of Kai's son). He didn't really win that fight, but cheated his way to victory. Even He feels that way.

#70 Hartmann07

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

YLW all the way... Maybe gust because I love the Centurion :)

#71 Squidhead Jax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

The YLW's arm sacrifices the lower arm actuator (like the stock Centurion-AH) so it only gets up/down (on a torso with relatively bad twist) but all the vulnerabilities of the arm assembly. I don't think that's worth it over the hunchback, including the net loss of an energy hardpoint.

(This discussion has at least made me 100% certain the YLW, as implemented in the files at least, isn't P2W, since its unique configuration works out to 'gimpy HBK-G')

#72 Fischkopp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hunchback....i like the bulky look

#73 MuffinTop

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

It seems to be that the YLW specific purpose is for melee combat, so why bring that into this game? They already said in FAQ that it won't be implemented at this time,but may revisit the idea in the future. There are probably an equal number players that are for melee as opposed to it. Me, I'm all for it, especially when all my weapons are out of commission, and it would be nice to go toe to toe with another mech. Its happned to me, and I've seen it happened to many times to other players. I would rather get in a brawl, because I'm sure as hell not going to go to the corner of the map and power down. BET!

Edited by MuffinTop, 19 October 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#74 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Are we talling in-game? In MWO right?

The hunchback is altogether superior to the centurion.

#75 Mister French

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

YLW for sure, arm mouted AC20, much better in a brawl

#76 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

in TT Yen-Lo-Wang, that beastly armour wont save you from 30 points of close range damage :P
in MWO Hunchback, YLW doenst have its melee capability just yet so it would be a bit of a handicap.

View PostMuffinTop, on 19 October 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

It seems to be that the YLW specific purpose is for melee combat, so why bring that into this game? They already said in FAQ that it won't be implemented at this time,but may revisit the idea in the future. There are probably an equal number players that are for melee as opposed to it. Me, I'm all for it, especially when all my weapons are out of commission, and it would be nice to go toe to toe with another mech. Its happned to me, and I've seen it happened to many times to other players. I would rather get in a brawl, because I'm sure as hell not going to go to the corner of the map and power down. BET!

someone already pointed out, that it could be the second Yen-Lo-Wang which mounts 2 Pulse lasers in the left arm instead of the hatchet. though it would be 2 years early so maybe the MWO varaint would have 4 energy hardpoints and 1 balistics to compensate for the missing melee abilities... just a specualtion :ph34r:

#77 Nighpher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts
  • LocationBackwater planet

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yen-Lo-Wang wins! the AC20 is in his arm, that means better aiming! with the hunchys torso mounted ac, he has a really slow time bring that cannon to broadside.

#78 Squidhead Jax

• 1,434 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostNighpher, on 19 October 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Yen-Lo-Wang wins! the AC20 is in his arm, that means better aiming! with the hunchys torso mounted ac, he has a really slow time bring that cannon to broadside.

YLW can't waggle the arm laterally any faster than the HBK (loses an actuator), can lose it more easily, has fewer weapons available, and is limited to small weapons in the few energy hardpoints it has.

It's a flashy sports car without much under the hood. A lack of melee takes it from 'niche arena variant' to 'inefficiently extravagant'.

#79 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Voted Hunchie; I'd change it if melee weapons were added, though. Mostly for all the reasons in the post directly above me.

Edited by Victor Morson, 19 October 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#80 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostSquidhead Jax, on 19 October 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

The YLW's arm sacrifices the lower arm actuator (like the stock Centurion-AH) so it only gets up/down (on a torso with relatively bad twist) but all the vulnerabilities of the arm assembly. I don't think that's worth it over the hunchback, including the net loss of an energy hardpoint.

(This discussion has at least made me 100% certain the YLW, as implemented in the files at least, isn't P2W, since its unique configuration works out to 'gimpy HBK-G')

I'm far more worried for the non-hero Centurion with the large engine and endo getting added when endo does. That thing would be massively overpowered compared to all other mediums, including other Centurions.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users