• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostOni Storm, on 18 September 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

"eww eww mister Carter.. Mister Carter!!!"

How about we all crash land on our way to Outreach, Solaris, or wherever mercenary's apply their trade? Just and Idea, but think it's one that I haven't seen in the Battletech Universe so far. Would be kinda a neat starting point for that matter, the ship crashed the Mechs and such survive but literally you have to get in maneuver, lift and in some cases claw, to get them out

The crash could even be from a failed jump and maybe we're on a hostile planet, etc etc. Just and option.

While its a cool Idea,(hopefully no giant talking birds on planet) the issue is that we already have an overarching goal we're moving too....seeking employment with RAI, who are looking to Subcontract a unit out for a top secret mission. I'm worried it'd take the better part of forever to get "rescued" from the planet and team up with RAI

#102 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

View PostGammadin, on 18 September 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

While its a cool Idea,(hopefully no giant talking birds on planet) the issue is that we already have an overarching goal we're moving too....seeking employment with RAI, who are looking to Subcontract a unit out for a top secret mission. I'm worried it'd take the better part of forever to get "rescued" from the planet and team up with RAI

Ok Ok we can crash after we are grouped up then ;)

#103 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Sorry Oni, no crash landings on a deserted planet in this RP.

#104 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hooray! :)

*Ahem* I have also realized how awesome this RP has even in the planning phase been for my knowledge of BT lore, I now have some idea how Infantry works in BT(it doesn't...at least not well.)

Otherwise I am working on random names for all the NPCs and some background/personalities for the ones that are likely to be somewhat important.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Without mechs, the Green Hearts need something to instill fear in their enemies...

Posted Image

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 18 September 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#105 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Well, Vod, on the table top (in my opinion at least) few things are as scary than dug in grunts with portable SRM/LRM launchers, if the TInmen aren't packing some kind of anti-infantry weapon (flamethrower, machine guns etc) its pretty difficult to zap them with the big lasers.

Also jump infantry (guys with jetpacks!) can make swarm attacks, bascially grabbing hold of the mech and slapping shaped charges into cracks/missile tubes/armor plates.

Heck, in the books you see Infantry take out a decent amount of mechs at diffrent time by creating rockslides, pits traps, lighting a forest on fire, etc etc. Plus, by 3063 Greydeath Legion and Innersphere standard battle armors are on the open market. If you wanted to lead a company of Ironman wannabes

#106 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

Quite so, rather it is some of the arbitrary and often silly rules in regards to infantry that I find amusing. ^^

#107 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

*Ironman theme blares through Rogue's head*

What rules are those Vodka?

#108 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostGammadin, on 18 September 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

I still say the concept of Thom pulling together his own unit might be the most reasonable way to go with this. Past associations with RAI could go a long way for a recently formed unit looking to make a big splash. Its the easiest way I can think of to Tie the newly formed unit to the RAI without it seeming to forced.

Honestly, a core group of us could "skip" the interview process having already been hired by Thom, while those that want to be late comers can RP meeting Thom (and who ever he picks as XO) and play 20 questions about their character. The rest of us RP "a day in the life of a Merc" and fill in our backstories with out, talk about our super cool paint jobs, make silly faces at each other Etc etc.

And then we all meet up, and go solve some crimes, rescue the princess, look for Carmen Sandiego ..... fight the bad guys.

Or we could go through the entirety of recruitment, just depends on how fast or slow everyone is wanting

I would like to rp meeting Thom. :P I'll say "yo" and he'll say "ya" and I'll say "woow" and he'll say "meh". Really riveting stuff!

Also I'm voting we look for Carmen Sandiego! :D

Carmen's so hot!!! :( I wish I was one of her goons...

ps. Am always nervous when crashing to unknown planets. Never know they be ruled by monkeys.... space monkeys... :ph34r:

Edited by Nor Azman, 19 September 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#109 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 18 September 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

*Ironman theme blares through Rogue's head*

What rules are those Vodka?

My current favorites are that a platoon can never have more than 30 members, you literally have to split a 32 man platoon into two platoons or another great one is that a mechanized platoon cannot dismount from their vehicles unless they are entering a building(in BT logic they should fight from inside their vehicles at all times). :P

To be fair most of the rules are to "balance" infantry, but from a realism or RP perspective they come across as pretty amusing.

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 18 September 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#110 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, Table top has some wonky stuff for sure.

Just for the records...who does/doesn't have c3?

#111 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

I'm planning on having one... it all depends on space restrictions on my Blackjack. SSW doesn't like me. And all my BT books are in storage in Cali... :(

Edited by Thom Frankfurt, 19 September 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#112 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

*looks over from his kitchen sink*

c3... as in c3po?

Posted Image

*pin drop*

"Let's have a round of applause for contestant no 3!" the announcer sang.

*muted claps from bored audience*

"Thanks everybody! I'll be here every tuesday!"

*giant hook yanks nor azman from stage*

Edited by Nor Azman, 19 September 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#113 Durgan Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

I have C3 Slave as well as TAG

#114 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 19 September 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

I'm planning on having one... it all depends on space restrictions on my Blackjack. SSW doesn't like me. And all my BT books are in storage in Cali... B)

Well it weighs only 1 ton, if your using clan tech weapons you'll have plenty of space for it.

#115 Oni Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

View PostGammadin, on 18 September 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Yeah, Table top has some wonky stuff for sure.

Just for the records...who does/doesn't have c3?

I believe I have one but not sure.. It's up to the Gm to tell me as of right now I've updated my profile as such, if not I'll go back and use that ton elsewhere. :P

Edited by Oni Storm, 19 September 2012 - 10:59 AM.

#116 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

If it fits on your mech and doesn't bring it over the 12mil limit, go for it.

#117 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hey everyone, sorry I'm late to the party. Sold my game publishing company two weeks ago and have been busy with change over stuff plus regular life. Will attempt to keep up with things from here on.

My character:

"Jack Helstrum" / actually named Jason Nelson. He is 'under cover' on an op from his regular unit.

Call sign: "Splatter" but he is used to going by "Racker" and would probably answer to that name without thinking.

Birthdate June 17th, 3034. Makes him 29 as of '63. Male, good physical shape but has an artifical eye and scar on left cheek from battle injuries.

Profession: Mechwarrior. But knowledgable about space craft and life on the cargo lines.

Last Home: Claiming Carver V. Actually Sampsa in the Free Worlds League. Born a spacer, thus no original nationality. Naturalized citizen of Free Worlds League.

Applying Story Mode for rest of background

No one paid any attention to the short woman in the unmarked olive drab greatcoat as she sipped a beer at an outdoor cafe table. She preferred it that way. Made it easier to get the drop on people if they didn't see you as a threat. And anyone that had ever served with Captain Samantha "Sammi" Cascade knew she was one tough mother fu......

"Shut your mouth !" Snapped Colonel Woods.

Sammi glanced sharply at the dark skinned officer running this op. He waved her in apology. "Not you Sammi. I meant Colonel Linna here. Holly, no one is supposed to know that we know Jason. Stop reacting every time a young girl talks to him. That's the waitress, she supposed to talk to him."

"I was not reacting," hissed Holly. "And he can talk to whoever he wants. What I can't believe is that I let you talk me into authorizing this."

Holly was technically the CO of the Suomi Warders. Her older brother John was officially listed as dead, along a few of his closest mechwarrior companions. They weren't...but for the moment they remained in hiding. Day to day of the Suomi Warders was her problem now.

Sammi resisted voicing her agreement. This seemed like a long shot based on shaky intel. Jason Nelson had become a solid mechwarrior and good leader. He wasn't half bad as a ground pounder either. And Sammi would know as she had personnaly trained him. That Jason looked somewhat average, neither tall nor short and a bit on the thin side, disguised the hardened warrior that he had become from casual viewers. Which might be problem as the persona Woods had invented for Jason was that of a hard boiled MechWarrior named Jack Helstrum who had narrowly avoided a number of charges before the merc review board.

The biggest problem that Sammi could see was that Jason was at heart an idealist and dyed-in-the-wool "good guy". That was the kind of warrior that John Linna recruited and nurtured. But Jason lacked John's pragmatic, and sometimes even ruthless, streak. She still felt that either herself or Bronski should have tried to get hired for the infantry part of this gig. But Woods had felt that they were too well known in the small circle of special force types to risk it. Jason had always been overshadowed by his more famous peers. He had rarely made it into news coverage.

Osmo Woods sighed. "Alright Sammi, I can see the doubt in your eyes too. For the last time I'm running over this again. If either of you wants to pull the plug we'll do it here and now before that merc contact gets here for "Jack Helstrum's" interview. The command lance is in the Periphery as we work to get our WarShip fully operational. Word of Blake and ComStar both think they're dead and we need to keep it that way. Right now Word of Blake barely accpets us as being on their side. We need to keep their loyalty until we're ready to make our move for independence. ComStar won't send any Warder communications. We're on their **** list. We need to avoid an all out fight with any of their units and to do that we need to keep tabs on their ops. As we discovered at Carver V years ago, ComStar illegally stole research from the Linna's company about the advanced C-3 we run to make their C-3i system.

I still get some word from Wolfnet. Comstar is backing this deal the Irregulars are setting up. In a big way. The word is that ComStar has even allowed their C-3i units to be used by non ComStar 'Mechs. They might know we have a hidden WarShip because the Word of Blake knows. Maybe whatever the Irregulars are doing has nothing to do with us, and maybe they're planning a raid on Sampas gunning for our tech and for ComStar to use a proxy to destroy the Warders and get rid of what they see as a Word of Blake ally.

I have talked this plan over with John. He agrees that Jason's mix of Jump and DropShip knowledge, self taught engineering skills around commo and computer equipment, and MechWarrior skills wil make him a juicy recruit. We gave him a spoty background so he doesn't look too good. I know you two tend to think of him as the goofy kid he used to be. But he's not that guy anymore. He's smart, and tough, and a survivor. He gets hired into the mission. He find sout what he can about ComStar's C-3i or realted stuff. If the op is against us, he sabotagues it and bails. If it is against someone else he just does his job as a merc pilot then leaves with his pay when it's done. John thinks he can do it and so do I."

Sammi sighed. "You know me. If the General says we do it, then we do it. I may not like it, but John's word is all I need to undertake any action."

Holly frowned. Her brother was frusteratingly right most of the time. But Holly didn't have the automatic trust in following John's orders that the tough infantry officer did.

"Fine, we let it play out," Holly agreed. She would just have to hope her brother's track record was going to remain golden because she didn't have a better idea.

At a different table Jason picked up the tumbler the waitress had brought him and tossed it back. Then he almost coughed it up. He had no idea that burbon was this ...gross. It was like cough medicine. He gulped at his beer chaser of a light lager. He'd decided that tough *** Jack Helstrum drank straight booze. He'd have to give that a second thought.

Without knowing that the op had almost been cancelled right before it started, Nelson noticed the pair of mercs in uniforms with Irregular patches headed his way from the street. He thought he saw the robe of a ComStar precept slipping away from them into the crowd but he wasn't sure. Okay, this is it, he told himself. These two guys would make a first assessment. If he passed that there would probably be a formal interview with the CO. Then it would be time to find out what these guys were up to and if their plans threatened the Holly or the rest of the Suomi Warders.

Edited by SuomiWarder, 19 September 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#118 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Oh this is going to be good. So, so good.
Must be said, ever since I decided to actually flesh out the Irregulars, I've been debating working on a way to potentially link to the Suomi Warders.
But what's this I smell? Has story been happening since 3057 (Is it sad I can remember that without referencing?)? Has it? Can I read it? Pretty, pretty please?
For those curious, Warder has not been fed any background on my Irregulars - so he's very close, and very far away from what's actually going on here.
Fair does on selling your company Warder - hope that wasn't something you got forced into. May I ask what games you published?

#119 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

So, now that the everyones at the table when do we eat?

#120 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Funnily enough, right now. First post is up :)
Brief instructions for setting for each of you is at the start of the post, a lot of you haven't officially joined Thom or given background, so I have most of you at the bar chatting to each other. Whether or not you want to discuss how you signed up with Thom or just chatter to each other to establish friendships and things is up to yourself :(
Vodka, who's leading your Green Hearts overall? I'll need to bring one in to the interview with Thom.
Warder, Jason's getting a quick interview because Mike's curious as to why a lone wolf has sought to join on alone, he'll likely grab you and drag you to meet Thom and sign on with him, just try to make him like you :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users