188 replies to this topic

#21 clutchgetspaid

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostAlkero, on 01 March 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I'm interested to see how you're supposed to control both arms and torso..he made it sound like they will be independent of each other i.e. shooting at one target with chest while shooting another with arms...how are you supposed to control that? or am I completely mistaken?

EDIT: Ok, wait, so I think that it may be that when the arms converge they are completely in line and aimed at the exact same spot as the torso, but when they are not converged, they are slightly off, at least that's my interpretation....am I correct here? Devs? anyone?

I would expect that the torso weaponry may well be static. You've gotta have your torso pointed at what you want to shoot at and you'll pilot your mech accordingly to line up that reticle for shots. The arm reticle would be more "free floating" to account for the freedom of movement that arms would naturally have... if you have moving arms on your mech anyway...

#22 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

The weapon groups are by cursor.

#23 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 01 March 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

When you are setting up prior to drop ???

#24 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

The temperature reflects the current heat state of the mech, not outside air temp. The actual number is being tuned according to canon.

#25 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 01 March 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

The temperature reflects the current heat state of the mech, not outside air temp. The actual number is being tuned according to canon.

This is excellent news!

To expand on the question }{avoc asked... will we be able to control the arms separately in an up/down fashion using the HAT in coordination with doing left/right "fly out" with the arms as in previous titles? Or are we talking full on control using the mouse?

Edited by SI The Joker, 01 March 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#26 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostAlkero, on 01 March 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I'm interested to see how you're supposed to control both arms and torso..he made it sound like they will be independent of each other i.e. shooting at one target with chest while shooting another with arms...how are you supposed to control that? or am I completely mistaken?

EDIT: Ok, wait, so I think that it may be that when the arms converge they are completely in line and aimed at the exact same spot as the torso, but when they are not converged, they are slightly off, at least that's my interpretation....am I correct here? Devs? anyone?

I imagine that the arm reticule is your main reticule since it has a wider range of motion than torso-mounted weapons. When you move this around, your torso-mounted weapons reticule will try to follow but will stop once hindered by firing angles and torso twist limitations.

Either that or you toggle for all weapons convergence or just arm-mounted for more flexibility. I am so hoping now that we get left-handed mech models just like how you can swap your gun from the right to left hand in FPS games. Just an option to flip the weapon locations will do. :)

#27 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

I like how people doubt this game. Non believers. Tsk Tsk.

Spoiler

#28 GuntherK

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Sweet, i guess that this means that if i select a Weapons group of weapons mounted on the arms, my cursor aim is moving the arms, if i select the group of torso weapons, the cursor points the torso weapons.
Thats smart.
I was wondering how could i operate 2 mouse cursors simultaneously, i am not much a joystick fan.

Edited by GuntherK, 01 March 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#29 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • LocationBielefeld, NRW, Germany

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 01 March 2012 - 06:52 AM, said:

1 - Is Heading and a secondary torso twitst indicator (triangle). Objectives, enemies, and friendlies slide across here as well.
2 - weapon group status (1-6)
7 - is the mini-map.

Since spoilers are very abused thanks to Paul. Warning this is a real spoiler.
Spoiler

SWEET! You mean, like in some of the novels, where torso mounted weapons have an own crosshair (which is positioned fixed) and the arms mounted weapons got another crosshair(s) (which is/are movable)? Holy howling cow! YAY

Great additional info! Thanks a lot!

So was I right guessing that the monitor above F is to display text messages (chat)?

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 01 March 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

A: But why would all weapons have the same reload time? Medium lasers should cycle pretty fast compared to LRMs.

B: I'm just glad they're using C and not Kelvin. MW4 had temps of 7000K, 2x enough to melt Tungsten, the element with the highest melting point. :)

to A: Don't measure the things to MW4! TTs weapons could only fire once in 10 seconds. If you more want to go by Solaris VII 'Mech Duel Rules, there is the M-Lasers delay (1 turn*) only half than that of the LRMs (2 turns*). You may could fire M-Lasers twice as much as the LRMs, but you also build up a lot of heat. (*Solaris VII has gameturns equal to 2,5 seconds)

to B: Don't measure the things to MW4! :lol: I guess they really weren't aware that the heat created was more than that of a stars surface! :ph34r: Let MW4 be MW4 this one will be the best MechWarrior game since the invention of fire!

Edited by Arnold Carns, 01 March 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#30 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostArnold Carns, on 01 March 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

SWEET! You mean, like in some of the novels, where torso mounted weapons have an own crosshair (which is positioned fixed) and the arms mounted weapons got another crosshair(s) (which is/are movable)? Holy howling cow! YAY

Great additional info! Thanks a lot!

Maybe this means eventually we will see rear mounted weapons.

#31 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Seriously CoffiNail? How many times do we have to tell you....

Spoiler

#32 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 01 March 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

Maybe this means eventually we will see rear mounted weapons.

Jeez, just don't make me having laundry day again.
Just finished the load of yesterday! :)

Oops.... :lol: You did it...

#33 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 01 March 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

By cursor, meaning, user preference then right? If so, that's actually a nice form of weapon segregation. I can separate my weapons into ballistic/projectile/energy groupings which is, to me, more informative than knowing what part of the Mech they are located in (though that wouldn't be too bad a piece of info as well) Nice. So it's relative to operating temperatures then and not just a thermometer, right?

Spoiler

As for temperatures - this is your traditional MechWarrior heat gauge. Over heat = shutdown or worse.

#34 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

That's awesome Bryan! Thanks for confirming that!

PS as to your second comment - does overheating raise a chance of spontaneous ammo explosions?

#35 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Can't you disable the "spoiler" function in his account? :)

View PostBryan Ekman, on 01 March 2012 - 09:40 AM, said:

Spoiler

As for temperatures - this is your traditional MechWarrior heat gauge. Over heat = shutdown or worse.

Nice, so variant mechs will have a purpose and appearance of their own. Huge step up right there. This heat gauge is sounding fun though...don't remember ammo explosions being in Mechwarrior much.

#36 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 01 March 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

That's awesome Bryan! Thanks for confirming that!

PS as to your second comment - does overheating raise a chance of spontaneous ammo explosions?

We're planning on testing ammo explosions. If we can tune them reasonably, they'll make it in.

Someone asked this earlier. Yes the HUD is projected and follows the player's head tracking.

#37 Arnold Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Spoiler

Absolutely great! Umm... what is worse than shutdown and being a sitting duck? Well, except ammo explosions.
If ammo explosions are in, will you get a warning on the Ammunition Status Monitor, which ammo is in danger to blow up?

Edit: Ninja'd :)

Edited by Arnold Carns, 01 March 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#38 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

1 - Is Heading and a secondary torso twitst indicator (triangle). Objectives, enemies, and friendlies slide across here as well.
2 - weapon group status (1-6)
7 - is the mini-map.

Spoiler

View PostBryan Ekman, on 01 March 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Spoiler

Are you trying to seduce me? Because it's working.

Sometimes I get scared this game will ruin everything I love about Battletech, but you keep beating those fears down with a nail-sprouting baseball bat. You guys are going above and beyond.

I just wanna say thanks.

Edit: Question! Are you planning to have ammo in specific places in the mechs? Just over the hips, or halfway up the torso, for examples.

Edited by Tsen Shang, 01 March 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#39 Zomb1e

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

This is shaping up to be the best MechWarrior yet. That's right, I'm predicting it will be even better than MW2:Mercs. And that's saying a lot! I absolutely love the separate targeting cursors for torso/arms. That should add a nice level of complexity to combat. Trying to remember, was a system like that used in MPBT:3025? I know I've seen it in a 'Mech game before, just can't remember where.

#40 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostKaryudo-ds, on 01 March 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

Can't you disable the "spoiler" function in his account? :)

Nice, so variant mechs will have a purpose and appearance of their own. Huge step up right there. This heat gauge is sounding fun though...don't remember ammo explosions being in Mechwarrior much.

They were more canon from TT and from the novels - i'm not sure if any of the computer games ever dabbled in them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users