A Mech Warrior MOVIE!

62 replies to this topic

Poll: mech warrior move (315 member(s) have cast votes)

do you think it would be a good idea for a mech warrior movie

1. YES OF COURSE (279 votes [88.57%])

Percentage of vote: 88.57%

2. possibly/meh (29 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

3. NO WAY (7 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Blazz17

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationnext to my neighbours house in australia

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

like the title says make a movie based on battle tech history/fiction. i personaly think this could be interesting depending on who makes it and how well the movie is made as well as which era they choose to make it of ( the clan wars would be a good choice). Sooo what do you people think

#2 MADEVIL

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 46 posts
  • LocationJust a short drive from Chicago

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

A movie or movies would be nice, it was suppose to happen long ago but it never did. We do have a large time line and many stories to go with but the way hollywood is today if it was not handled right it could be a major train wreck.

Edited by MADEVIL, 19 September 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#3 Blazz17

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

Yes a agree very much if it was to be a total failure it would substantly damage battle techs reputation as well as the producers

#4 INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts
  • LocationAZ USA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

A movie would be great. The cartoon was ok.

#5 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostBlazz17, on 20 September 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Yes a agree very much if it was to be a total failure it would substantly damage battle techs reputation as well as the producers

So what, every movie has that risk. It wouldn't really hurt the Battletech franchise as a game setting. It just means that someone made a ****** Battletech movie. It's not like people would stop playing Mechwarrior or Battletech just because a movie was bad. There have been quite a few terrible Dungeons & Dragons movies already, and yet people still play D&D!

Don't be like the guy at Paramount that said. "No, we decided we do not want Las Vegas to get a real-size model of the Enterprise. It could fail and would tarnish our reputation". Talk about wasted opportunities!

I think with a sensible approach for a script, people could produce a Battletech movie that wouldn't even need to suck:
http://mwomercs.com/...ch-movie-ideas/

The key IMO is make something that works, story-wise, even without the specific Battletech tropes, but uses the universe as a backdrop and aid to define the characters and their relationships to each other. The game shouldn't be non-stop Mech battle action (as much as I'd love to see that), it would use them like, say the recent Batman movies use action. It's the go-to solution to resolve conflicts, but the story of the movie stands on it own.

#6 Takeda Ooka

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHavlíčkův Brod CZ

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

I think a tv series would be better. With a good script and well done characters. It can be about the clan invasion. Stories of characters that shaped the war. You know, lots of flashbacks to see why this one did this or that and how it changed the course of history. That would be nice. As MustrumRidcully said, the story can stand on its own, working in any universe. Something like Game of thrones only with mechs and space invasions :-)

#7 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

just don't get Uwe Boll involved...

#8 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

any kind of movie would hurt someone's feelings like "oh i wanted Kerensky to be that one %name of the actor%" etc but it also will be a good commercial for a franchise and will add some new blood to the community - just what it needs right now. logic mode off
if some miserable bustard will make it like max payne or battleship\transformers crap ill seriously going to kill him\her.

Edited by Kurayami, 20 September 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#9 Rutilus Diabolus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

Actually a mechwarrior movie was in the works, i forget which studio was doing it. they canceled production when the transformer movies hit theatre's. Obviously they felt 2 movies about giant robots would compete too much on the market. I figured with the epic cinimatics all the later games had, a movie wouldnt be too difficult to make, and with the tolkien like massive background and history battletech has, a SOLID movie, or even series of movies, should be completly feasable.

#10 TechNoir

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

View PostColonel Jaime Wolf, on 20 September 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

You beat me too it.

#11 RockHound

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Closest thing we ever got was the intro to mechwarrior 4 and that was epic, shame that vulture was stuck on a noob team, h8 it when that happens :D

#12 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostColonel Jaime Wolf, on 20 September 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

This, he who turns all he touches to crap.

Also Michael Bay, unless you want your Atlas to have actual balls.

#13 bikerbass77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 333 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Cambs, UK

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

If done well, it could be a real success. The best way I can see it done is with a telling of the Amaris plot and Kerensky taking the Star League military off towards the pentagon worlds. That would be Ideal as a feature length movie as it would set the scene for everything that follows. After that, if it were a success, then the other stories would be better tackled in an episodic serial form (like the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica or A Game Of Thrones).

If some Hollywood ego merchant got their hands on it and decided that everything needed changing, it would be a disaster. I think the best way would be for a smaller independent studio to do it or a fan based project like the Warhammer Ultramarines movie.

#14 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

A new Uwe Boll film? I hope all the mechs join the ranks of the Unseen if that's the case. LOL!

#15 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

I've always thought legend of the jade pheonix would make an excellent movie or two. The bleak landscape during aidan and martha's training, joanna being a hardass, and the underdog story ending in a blaze of glory, would all make good hollywood material.

#16 Blazz17

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

when i said it cold hurt its reputaion i meant it in the way that less people would take it up and its a possiblity not a fact. i also like the idea of a tv series that would defentily work better as battletechs fictional history is litteraly MASSSSSSIVE

Edited by Blazz17, 20 September 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#17 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOver there. No. Over there.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostHans Davion, on 20 September 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

If done well, it could be a real success. The best way I can see it done is with a telling of the Amaris plot and Kerensky taking the Star League military off towards the pentagon worlds. That would be Ideal as a feature length movie as it would set the scene for everything that follows. After that, if it were a success, then the other stories would be better tackled in an episodic serial form (like the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica or A Game Of Thrones).

If some Hollywood ego merchant got their hands on it and decided that everything needed changing, it would be a disaster. I think the best way would be for a smaller independent studio to do it or a fan based project like the Warhammer Ultramarines movie.

Hate to disagree here, because the Lore itself is pretty epic. However...it all comes down to simple numbers. We're a niche market, plain and simple. The money isn't there to be made. I talk about Mechwarrior/Battletech and I get (typically) "LOLwut?" or, "You mean Mechassault?"
And I sigh quietly to myself and weep silently for the future.

To compare, look at "Serenity." Excellent story, but a cult following. It didn't hit/resonate/hook the public, and if not for after theater sales, it would have been a fairly substantial loss. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Firefly," and I wish it would be finished, but I also understand why Fox pulled the plug on it.

Today's audiences on average have the attention span of a drugged and tasered gnat. If it isn't instantly gratifying in some fashion (and the same could be said for the majority of today's gamers), then they'll move onto something else. It doesn't take an Economics major to tell you what happens next.

Yes, the BT universe has a compelling story-and one that I'd love to see. However, I really don't think we'll ever see it on the big or small screen. So I'll be content to see it in my head, and everytime I virtually strap on a neurohelmet and put my crosshairs on another mech, and be happily surprised if I'm ever proven wrong in this.

#18 vasile

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMendoza, Argentina

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

I think a movie about 340 would be great. The mechwarriors as Knights, with castles, Kings, dukes, and other figures. Drawing a paralel to the age of chivalry, at least in concept not so much as a historical period. It would be a great contrast to all the fantasy-medieval fictions that is dominating the screen with game of thrones and the Hobbit. I mean it would show how traditional fantasy archetypes can work outside the medival period.

#19 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostWinterknight, on 20 September 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Hate to disagree here, because the Lore itself is pretty epic. However...it all comes down to simple numbers. We're a niche market, plain and simple. The money isn't there to be made. I talk about Mechwarrior/Battletech and I get (typically) "LOLwut?" or, "You mean Mechassault?"
And I sigh quietly to myself and weep silently for the future.

To compare, look at "Serenity." Excellent story, but a cult following. It didn't hit/resonate/hook the public, and if not for after theater sales, it would have been a fairly substantial loss. Don't get me wrong, I loved "Firefly," and I wish it would be finished, but I also understand why Fox pulled the plug on it.

Today's audiences on average have the attention span of a drugged and tasered gnat. If it isn't instantly gratifying in some fashion (and the same could be said for the majority of today's gamers), then they'll move onto something else. It doesn't take an Economics major to tell you what happens next.

Yes, the BT universe has a compelling story-and one that I'd love to see. However, I really don't think we'll ever see it on the big or small screen. So I'll be content to see it in my head, and everytime I virtually strap on a neurohelmet and put my crosshairs on another mech, and be happily surprised if I'm ever proven wrong in this.

Niche market? Dude, everyone loves a movie about giant war machines blowing stuff up. That's like saying the only people interested in seeing Battleship were in the Navy. Done well, this movie would generate just as much income as any other well done SciFi movie. Just don't let the people who did Doom get a hold of it.

#20 ak12546

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts
  • Locationin the center of a supermassive blackhole

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

It is extremely hard for people to make good video game movies. this is my problem with it. most movies made this way will not do justice to the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users