1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#101 SilverWings

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOn a horse that's in a boat that's near another boat

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:37 AM

I saw no to third person. MW, up until MW4, has always been more of a sim than an action game. If you want different camera views, fine. I have no problem with that. But no floating eye camera that is a good 20 yards behind and 10 yards above the Mech's head.

#102 SilverWings

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOn a horse that's in a boat that's near another boat

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

View PostSword_of_Light, on 03 November 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

Ok, now to completely contradict what I said previously - which was 1st person only.

Having now seen the trailer for the failed MW5, the idea of a drone launched from a mech that gives 3rd person makes sense. If this is a Battletech sim, well, all those games are top down, and there is no 'hull down' because its a freakin' robot the size of a two story house. Oh, look, theres an Atlas over there - I dont have LOS because its behind a hill, but its got a fusion reactor thats being held together by duct tape and chicken wire and leaking every **** particle known to man, and my cup of coffee is vibrating every time the **** thing takes a step.

This would also be a good use of ECM - whats that? Your Assassin isnt going to be of any use against that assault lance? Well, it is now, because you've customized it to carry an ECM system, and now not only are you spotting for your assault lance, but they've just lost their top-down capability and have to rely on line of sight. Suddenly LOS doesnt stand for Line of Sight, it stands for Loss of Signal.

-Don

"Columbia, Houston, we have 40 seconds to LOS, after LOS you're looking good for an over-the-hill; we'll see you in Madrid."
-comms chatter, first launch of the USS Columbia, background to Rush "Countdown"

Actually what could be done is have a small monitor situated in the cockpit that shows the drone's view instead. Make it challenging, not easy.

#103 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:03 AM

View PostKazimir Kerensky, on 03 November 2011 - 05:39 AM, said:

Actually what could be done is have a small monitor situated in the cockpit that shows the drone's view instead. Make it challenging, not easy.

I suppose it would depend on how far you want to take the neural interface. Mostly, its just fluff for a game mechanic that makes your pilot the squishy element in the game. Ammo exposions are bad even when you have CASE because of ... um ... neural feedback .... yeah....thats totally what happens. Star League designers didnt implement a surge protector so explosions fry your brain....

Well, ok, if you want to take it that far, ***'s eye view, full screen, means you've diverted all your mental attention to the drone. Of course that means you dont have targeting or system information (what, your mech isnt moving? Better get out of 3rd person and see....oh...your reactor automatically shut down because you took a through-armor crit and you're running too hot.)

-Don

#104 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

Voting strongly for 1st person view.

3rd person view tended to give players a better, bird's eye view of the battlefield, letting them peer over ledges and around corners. This likely only further influenced players to use the Jump Sniping which killed Mechwarrior 4 as a fun online game, especially when Mercs got rid of Capture the Flag - the only game in which taking a zippy little mech was an alternative choice to seeing how many clan gauss rifles and ER Large Lasers someone could cram on a Daishi or Gladiator :) .

Also, Mechwarrior is meant to be a Simulator, not a Platformer. I have only ever used 3rd person view for the sake of taking a more cinematic look at my 'mech.

That would be something I'd like to have in the place of 3rd person view - cinematic replays - so that we can rewatch our fights in different and exciting perspectives.

Edited by ice trey, 03 November 2011 - 06:56 AM.

#105 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

I love the argument about being able to see around corners while in 3rd person and not while in 1st.

You mean to tell me that in the year 3049 there isn't any sort of technology that could give me information about what is behind a wall or building? Um...don't we have that ability to a certain extent now in 2011.

Also, aren't there drop ships and other equipment...perhaps satellites of sorts orbiting the planet where these battles are taking place? You mean to tell me they couldn't relay images of the surrounding areas?

I started playing in FFP servers as I also enjoyed the sim aspect. I eventually converted to 3rd person as I thought it added more to the game. If the cockpit view had less of a "tunnel" view it would be OK. However this was not the case in MW4. Also, with 3PV there were still plenty of scouts, and ground pounders. I think that with 3PV you had to use the terrain even more so than with 1PV and with that you learned how to better approach your enemies.

#106 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

As has been pointed out already, the developers have announced their intentions that this will be FPV. They have also announced that Information Warfare (that involves use of deployed drones, etc.) is to be a key feature of the sim. As such, it is only logical that they design your non-drone-assisted view to encourage you to deploy drones if you want to get that more advantageous view. Sounds good to me.

A Third Person View, without applicable sensor equipment deployed to the appropriate location makes no sense. If you are to have a view from above and behind the mech (ala MW4's 3rd Person View) then there should be a camera drone flying up there, above and behind your mech. It should be detectable by other pilots looking in that direction if the camera drone is in the line of sight. Pilots should not be getting a freebie view over a hill that doesn't risk giving themselves away.

If the developers should ever decide to allow some sort of magical 3rd person view that doesn't require deploying discoverable equipment, then it should definitely be a server selected option that is publicly displayed (like it was in MW4). That way, the sim pilots who want to avoid the lame play can know to stay off of that server.

#107 mbt201188

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationPickens, SC

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Third person gives an unfair tactical advantage as you can see all around you so no I think it should just be first person. That and looking around the cockpit sounds awesome

#108 AgonyColumn

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hey Onlashoc, I remember you.

#109 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

I think First person view is just fine except i like looking at my mech from a 3rd view and rotating around it to see all the details and weapons slots,ect why not make it where you still use the (hat controls) for view or the corasponding keyboard keys in FPV then hold like shift & (hat controls) for a 3rd view.But you only have a small 3rd persion view around your mech no long zoomed,ect view.Makes perfect sence to me and you still bolth Mechwarrior camps happy. :)

#110 Kaori

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

I am sure players will want to view their mechs, you sure cant see what it looks like in the cockpit.

#111 Kaori

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

View Postmbt201188, on 03 November 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Third person gives an unfair tactical advantage as you can see all around you so no I think it should just be first person. That and looking around the cockpit sounds awesome

Just how does it give an advantage when every player can do it? lol

#112 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostAgonyColumn, on 03 November 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

Hey Onlashoc, I remember you.
Something in my brain moves as well.
I was around as "early" as back in MSN Zone times. The good times...

1st person only. Drones are good and stuff, but they can get destroyed and don't transmit the picture right in your brain - you should look at the screen in your cockpit and that limits your piloting as your feel of balance is ******.

Edited by Razor Kotovsky, 04 November 2011 - 08:15 AM.

#113 Heatsink Junkie

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

View Postmetro, on 02 November 2011 - 05:40 AM, said:

FP...as it is impossible for a Mechwarrior to ride on their mechs head in an all out battle.

:)

well for the sake of new players, the whole mech sim selling point of the game only really works in first person, the immersion and sense of scale dosent come across in 3rd person, but at the same time, I don't see what not to have the option available, but just so new players know what their missing out on, frist person should be the default/and or unchangeable till after tutorial.

#114 PK Violence

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX USA

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

I like the view as a checkable map option, option. Adds spice to the game. As long as everyone has the same options the game will be fair.

#115 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

View PostKaori, on 04 November 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

I am sure players will want to view their mechs, you sure cant see what it looks like in the cockpit.

There is talk of being able to dismount the Mech. That should provide a good view. :)

#116 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:26 PM

Uh, mechlab?

If you want to make some screencaps of your MadCat by the sunset there can be a showroom of sorts.

#117 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

For truly immersive gameplay in your mech combat Sim, the only choice is First person. If you want an arcade game experience then 3rd person makes sense. Having said that arcade style BT blows, Give me some solid heavy metal mayhem! MW3 style rocking cockpits and all!

I recommend a battle recorder system, if you want to see some 3rd person for vids / spectators. The virtualworld pods actually have realtime displays of the action from a floating 3rd person camera (complete with damage displays for the audiance), while the players are fixed in first person view in their cockpits.

#118 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

I would like to see my customized mech during combat so it would be shame to not have TPP view but yes I see it may be troublesome probably to have FPP and TPP at same time, I have quite mixed feelings about that.
Anyway there is other thing that needs to be considered too probably. I have noticed topic about melee combat so if this game will have melee weapons etc. what then? for melee users which view will give them fair chance in combat? FPP or TPP? since to estimate length of your weapon in game is rather difficult which means to properly estimate when it is time to perform an attack with such is also difficult.

Edited by Kell Aset, 04 November 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#119 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

View PostKell Aset, on 04 November 2011 - 09:07 PM, said:

Anyway there is other thing that needs to be considered too probably. I have noticed topic about melee combat so if this game will have melee weapons etc. what then? for melee users which view will give them fair chance in combat? FPP or TPP? since to estimate length of your weapon in game is rather difficult which means to properly estimate when it is time to perform an attack with such is also difficult.
You probably haven't played M&M: The Dark Messiah. Let me save you 10 seconds of googling it.

Yeah it is 5 times faster.
Basically it's a matter of practice as you can reliably tell the distance between you and the other mech in close quarters.

#120 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

At first im pretty neutral about the issue but after reading the thread, i have to put my support for first person view only. 3rd person has too many negatives for a competitive game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users