1st Person View or 3rd Person View?

181 replies to this topic

Poll: 1st Person view or 3rd Person view or Both? (489 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be 3rd Person view or Strictly 1st Person View?

1. Voted 1st Person Only (258 votes [52.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.76%

2. 1st Person or 3rd Person, Players choice a la MW4 (158 votes [32.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.31%

3. 1st Person Primarily, w/ Ability to switch to 3rd Person view while holding a mapped button / keystroke (65 votes [13.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.29%

4. I don't care either way (8 votes [1.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.64%

Vote

#1 OnLashoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

I personally like less restrictions placed on the player, however would be open to 1st Person Only being that everyone will be in 1st Person View and really don't have a choice lol.

I think 3rd Person View should be like pressing a button to view your rear view mirror in games like Need for Speed personally, but I do like and prefer 3rd Person View over 1st Person View, however 1st Person View makes it a bit more simulator like.

#2 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

If they allowed both it would open more league / ladder possibilities for sure.

#3 Argatson Krieghammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts
  • LocationNot hiding in your closet

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 November 2011 - 04:57 AM, said:

If they allowed both it would open more league / ladder possibilities for sure.

:) ... wut? How?

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

First person. the only time I like the external camera is when my boys are watching. They find it much more exciting to watch my mech fighting, not only that they like to go 'oh noe he fall!" When my mech is down. XD

#5 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

View Postargatson krieghammer, on 02 November 2011 - 05:23 AM, said:

:) ... wut? How?

I don't know how the league play will be implemented in this but currently in MW4 certain league offer a la carte type of set up.

FFP Clan vs IS Only
FFP Team Destruction
FFP Team Battle
FFP Capture the Flag
FFP Brawler Ladder
etc...

Allow 3rd Person and you just added a second layer of ladders

3PV all the same ladders above, see what I mean?

#6 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:36 AM

When you restrict the game to ONLY FFP, you just cut out x amount of possibilities for the leagues to hold league play.

Besides, if you don't want to play 3rd Person view you don't have to, but why make someone else take FFP if they don't want to? That I don't get.

#7 metro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSians Celestial City- http://capellanconfederation.com/

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

FP...as it is impossible for a Mechwarrior to ride on their mechs head in an all out battle.

:)

#8 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

I wouldn't mind having the ability to switch between 1st and 3rd person views, but I think that it should be an option that the player has to set before they log into the server.

For example, if a person wants to be able to access the 3rd person views, they should have to set that option in the Options screen. If they don't, they're restricted to 1st person views only.

#9 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

The year is 3025 or 3048 or whatever they decided...

Over head camera's / optics I'm sure have been invented and mounted on the mechs. Hell we already have it today in all major sports. At the very least, there should be the ability to hold down a button like a rear view mirror in any popular racing game.

Do you agree?

#10 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

When its really the pilots view in the cockpit I see no reason to use anything else. :) Moreso when you can actually look around in your cockpit. :D

#11 Lori Black Widow Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

In Mech, 1st and 3rd switchable would be neat. Outta Mech, 1st person only... but being able to see legs, arms, hands, etc.

3rd person view is being realized for common cars already. See BMW TopView camera park assist. So in matter of realism that's not too far-fetched.

#12 Hound

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 November 2011 - 05:36 AM, said:

When you restrict the game to ONLY FFP, you just cut out x amount of possibilities for the leagues to hold league play.

Besides, if you don't want to play 3rd Person view you don't have to, but why make someone else take FFP if they don't want to? That I don't get.

I agree...Players should be able to choose what view they want to use.

#13 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

I'm with OnLashoc, mechwarrior has always supported multiple views, i see no need to change this, you want to play FFP then play that, those that want to play in 3rd person perspective should have this option.

#14 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

I want both. Personally I prefer to be able to see all my awesome mech, not just cockpit.

#15 OnLashoc

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

I think people like FFP, but realize 3PV has an advantage over FFP players, so naturally FFP Players want the game to restrict it for FFP to force everyone to play the game the way FFP players like it.

I think that's selfish, and ***** the other half of the player base of enjoying the game the way they like it. Never did understand why people would force their preferred play style on others.

#16 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 November 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

I think people like FFP, but realize 3PV has an advantage over FFP players, so naturally FFP Players want the game to restrict it for FFP to force everyone to play the game the way FFP players like it.

I think that's selfish, and ***** the other half of the player base of enjoying the game the way they like it. Never did understand why people would force their preferred play style on others.

It has a more to do with immersion and fairness, not selfishness.

#17 Ossie

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

View PostOnLashoc, on 02 November 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

It's not about forcing a preferred play style on others as it is a simple matter of being able to see around corners that you wouldn't otherwise be able to see. 3rd person view can remove some fog-of-war aspects from the game, which then removes certain characteristics from certain mechs, in certain situations.

#18 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

View PostLori Black Widow Carlyle, on 02 November 2011 - 05:49 AM, said:

In Mech, 1st and 3rd switchable would be neat. Outta Mech, 1st person only... but being able to see legs, arms, hands, etc.

3rd person view is being realized for common cars already. See BMW TopView camera park assist. So in matter of realism that's not too far-fetched.

Well, yes, but you dont float above your Beemer - you look at a screen in your over-priced mid-life-crisis-mobile. In a mech, you look out the cockpit - you've got neural assisted viewing, sure, it links you to the mech's sensor array - but unless you've got a drone that you're jacked into, you arent getting a top down view. And you're playing Shadowrun, not Battletech.

Nah, this should just be a mecha fps.

-Don

#19 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:16 AM

FPV only - because u're not riding a horse

Edited by r4plez, 02 November 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#20 Nils

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 432 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

I think it should be a locked "cockpit" view. maybe a button for a rear view, I would be cool with possible replays being in 3rd view, though.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users