Are we all being a bit too optimistic?

44 replies to this topic

#1 Meatball

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

I love Battletech as much as the next guy, but I'd bet what I love about Battletech is different than that next guy. I see all these posts on the forums ecstatic about the game and filled with everyone's dreams of what a perfect Battletech game is and how MWO is going to be it, but there's no way everyone is going to be happy. We are all different and what each of us considers a 'perfect' battletech game is not going to be the same.

I'm sure there's people that would like more of an arcade experience, there's some that want more of a simulator feel, there's some that want to recapture the fun they have on the tabletop game. I just don't know if the game can possibly meet everyone's expectations.

What of MWO turns out to be World of Tanks with mechs? Ugh...

My point is, maybe we should tone down the enthusiasm a bit. It's great to be excited and I bet it pumps up the developers to see it, but you need to have a reality check and remember the game likely isn't going to be exactly what you want. With this much excitement, when the game comes out and doesn't meet some peoples every expectation, they're going to feel betrayed and turn on the game and start flaming the boards. I don't look forward to that day...

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

We discussed this in October. :)

Everyone is already sure, this is not WoT with mechs, we will not get every dream true and this will be the best mecha game in a looooong time. :D

#3 Masakari666

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

I'm not particularly enthusiastic. I don't like F2P models, so I'm on a wait-and-see pattern.

Furthermore, what you said is accurate, you can't please everyone.

I loved MW2.
I liked MW3
I loved MC
I really disliked MW4
I disliked MC2
I actually liked both MA games

It all comes down to the gameplay mechanics. Despite starting from a common ground (BT and the board game), the games have all been different, and this one won't be an exception.

#4 Meatball

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure whatever they release I'll be happy with. Heck, I've enjoyed just about every BT game since Crescent Hawks Inception on my C64. I just read through the forums and see all these gushing posts of how great the game is gonna be and every post wants to see something different. I just don't relish the thought of wading through four pages of anger and spittle posts the day after release full of people screaming that the game is awful and it needs to be changed to 'x'.

I've seen it way too many times. Ardent fans can turn ugly real quick :)

Edited by Meatball, 06 March 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#5 fallonsky

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

idk like adridos im on a wait and see. its like with halo 4 it will ether be great and will bring new life into the game or will fail and will kill off what is left of it. hopefully it will be up to par with the 60$ pc games but Im not so sure because of how i saw most f2ps play :/
but there are games like lol that are f2p and are reguarded with honor.

#6 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostMeatball, on 06 March 2012 - 06:13 AM, said:

I love Battletech as much as the next guy, but I'd bet what I love about Battletech is different than that next guy. I see all these posts on the forums ecstatic about the game and filled with everyone's dreams of what a perfect Battletech game is and how MWO is going to be it, but there's no way everyone is going to be happy. We are all different and what each of us considers a 'perfect' battletech game is not going to be the same.

I'm sure there's people that would like more of an arcade experience, there's some that want more of a simulator feel, there's some that want to recapture the fun they have on the tabletop game. I just don't know if the game can possibly meet everyone's expectations.

My point is, maybe we should tone down the enthusiasm a bit. It's great to be excited and I bet it pumps up the developers to see it, but you need to have a reality check and remember the game likely isn't going to be exactly what you want. With this much excitement, when the game comes out and doesn't meet some peoples every expectation, they're going to feel betrayed and turn on the game and start flaming the boards. I don't look forward to that day...

I guess it doesn't hurt to have hope. Hopes can be dashed, and you're free to be as optimistic or pessimistic about the game until it comes out. At that time if you try it and don't like it, cest la vie. You might want to give it a little time for the community to fire back feedback to the devs and see if they make changes along the lines of what you want, but if after a couple months of settling in, you're just not a fan of what you're playing, it won't have cost you a thing sans your time.

And if you DO love it, let the devs know by buying stuff in the store or hiring Paul for housecleaning (100% of those profits go to PGI).

#7 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

Optimism is good, often with a small dose of skepticism. But pessimism can take a hike.

#8 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

I may well not like/agree with whatever MWO turns out to be when/if we get an open Beta. Thats because like everybody else on this forum I have an idealised imiga in my head of the perfect BT game - for me. What I won't do is flame PGI for producing their own view. I'm quite happy to bug hunt/ find "features" and accept it for what it is.

#9 Kaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Look here's the deal.

There will be 8 mech games out by the end of 2012.

If you can't find one of those that fits what you're looking for...it probably doesn't exist.

MW:O may not be your cup of tea, eject and head over to MW:L or MW:T, or AC5, or Hawken, or RoT or ...well..you get my drift.

it's the Year of the Mech!

#10 AlanEsh

• The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostKaemon, on 06 March 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

MW:O may not be your cup of tea, eject and head over to MW:L or MW:T, or AC5, or Hawken, or RoT or ...well..you get my drift.

I get all those exceptfor MW:L, what is that?

#11 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Thats exactly what I expect.

Minus the gold-ammo of course.

#12 DCleric

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTX

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I don't know how the final game is going to be, but so far I like what I see. If it keeps going this way I think the majority will be pleased. That's about all you can ask for from a developer.

#13 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostAngelicon, on 06 March 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

I get all those exceptfor MW:L, what is that?

MechWarrior Living Legends - really it should be MW:L2 or MW:L2 which is much more awesome.

dang my superscript isn't working! MWL2

http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__120847

Edited by Kaemon, 06 March 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#14 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

being an optimist with a dose of realism, I am just glad to see a mech title coming out made by BT enthusiasts. Which gives me hope for the game. All the little hints and easter eggs they have shown us, with a few hunches of my own make me hope this game will be special.

that is enough for me, cause this is F2P, that means they will be fine tuning the game every single week of its life. To me that means they will be trying to make it better, not dumping it on the market and walking away. \

chris

Edited by wwiiogre, 06 March 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#15 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

developing games is hard work. most of it is a grind. so the more excited and passionate you get, the more passionate the devs will remain to be towards creating. keep up the hard work everyone!

#16 Ironheart

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

This is a pre-release community. There are only people who are optimistic, fans, and generally interested in the game.
No one knows the studio's intentions. It might even go p2w at some point when it does not make enough cash.

#17 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Wait, I want a Mechwarrior game. Unless they suddenly change IPs and use something like Gobots or Robotix instead of Mechwarrior then I'm pretty sure that the game is exactly the game that I want.

#18 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

I love MechWarrior games period. I get to run around and make things explode :) So either way, i will love this game.

#19 Doolie

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationComstar Substation Wisconsin

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Be hopeful. It could suck and not live up to your expectations. But if so at least it didn't cost you anything to try it.

For me, I'm way optimistic. I haven't played a BT game since Mechwarrior Mercenaries. I'm stoked about the whole concept here. If there is one thing I fret over its my old favorite unseens not appearing. But that's not a deal breaker. Just a dose of reality.

- D

#20 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

I look at it in... how can they really screw up a MechWarrior game. MW4 had some problems but overall it is a fun game. MEchAssault does not hold anything to a MechWarrior game since they were not trying to make one. I think regardless it will be a game as fun, if not more fun than MWLL, but chances are MWLL will only hold sway due to having combined arms. MWO I think will blow it out of the field with Arrow IVs in any other category. I think chances are this game will be better than most of us think it is.

As I keep saying... This is a MechWarrior game for MechWarriors by MechWarriors

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users