Community Questions 5

119 replies to this topic

#101 GDL Rahsan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Will we be able to assign our own weapon groups to different keys, for example assign weapon group 1 2 and 3 to the mouse left right and middle button and for that matter will we have the complete ability to change our key bindings for all our controls or will there be unchangable keys?

PS: I am sorry if thise question was asked twice but I did not check the whole thread yet.

Edited by GDL Rahsan, 09 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#102 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

View Postborisof007, on 09 March 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

SRM's, not streak SRM's mind you, do not have guidance. They fire straight, so it takes skill to use them.

This is a common misconception that has, somehow, made its way into some of the previous MW games.

In the BT canon (to which we know the Devs intend to generally adhere; see question 22 in the FAQ), non-streak SRMs are guided.
In fact, not only are the standard SRMs guided (and compatible with the Artemis IV FCS), but they have the option of several different guidance packages, including anti-radiation, heat-seeking, listen-kill, and the option of no guidance system at all (dead-fire missiles).

When SRMs (of all varieties) are described as "direct-fire", this is in opposition to the "indirect fire" of LRMs - that is, SRMs are launched with a flat (or very nearly so) horizontal trajectory relative to the ground rather than the pronounced parabolic arc characteristic of LRMs.

With the Streak SRMs:

The Streak Missile Launcher is a specialized version of the standard Short Range Missile launcher which withholds fire until it receives a solid lock ensuring all missiles will hit.

-----

Originally developed in 2647, the Streak SRM Launcher is relatively similar to the standard SRM launcher but linked to a unique Targa-7 fire control system. This system is designed to guarantee a hit against any target onto which the pilot can get a lock, a special feature of this system preventing the weapon from firing at a target when there is no lock-on, saving ammunition by preventing shots that would miss anyway.

-----

Unlike a standard SRM whose shotgun effect may result in some misses and some hits, Streak guidance gives the lighter launchers the effective average firepower of the heavier and more wasteful SRM systems, but with considerably less variation in damage effects. The only disadvantages are that Streak launchers are incompatible with other missile target acquisition technologies such as the Artemis IV FCS and Narc Missile Beacon, their specialized ammunition is much more expensive, and some users are willing to accept partial hits rather than not be able to fire on demand.

The Streak system is not a guidance system, but an ammunition conservation system - it disallows the firing of the missile launcher until such time as its built-in fire control system recognizes that all missiles are solidly locked and (almost) guaranteed to strike the target.

Solis' question is essentially, "Will SRMs' behavior be modeled accurately (that is, having them be guided - in accordance with BT canon), or will SRMs' behavior be modeled according the common misconception that SRMs are not guided?"

#103 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

I am wondering if manuevering while jumping will be handled the same as land based manuevering (ie. W A S D); and how changing facing upon landing will be controlled (ie. keys for rotating left and right); as well as the jump inspired questions from other members. In short. Can you please elaborate on jump movement?

#104 Gemini

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

In short: I'm wondering if there's going to be a coolant system of some sort in place.

In long: The one thing I'm most curious about that wasn't touched on yet is coolant. In Mech 1 and Mech 2, you had no control over coolant. In Mech 3, you could flush fresh coolant through a mech instantly, but this ate up a certain amount of unused coolant. In Mech 4, you held a button to flush as much fresh coolant into the system as desired. In the Tesla Pods, before they were updated to run the Mech 4 engine, you had direct command over coolant loops and had to deal with coolant leaks and other nasty situations. Will there be a coolant system in place in MWO and if so, how does it work?

#105 Kyuui

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

How is momentum and inertia handled by the game. Will "slide" turns by smaller/ faster mechs be possible/

#106 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Will there be running/skidding on pavement with turns?

Edit:

Also, how will, if any, there be balance between opposing forces? Are 'mechs assigned something akin to the Battletech Battle Value system?

Edited by NARCoMAN, 10 March 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#107 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

In the Dev Blog, you talk about selecting different weapon groups, assigning weapons to different groups, and (Default) mouse1 fires the currently selected group. Will there be options to configure certain keys or additional mouse buttons to fire a specific weapon group?
Example: I have a 5 button mouse, I wish to assign Fire Group 1 to Mouse1, Fire Group 2 to mouse3, and Fire Group 4 to mouse4. Will that be possible, or must I manually select the weapon group I wish to fire?

#108 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 07 March 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

If I read the blog correctly, pinpoint accuracy will only be possible with a certain amount of time to allow the reticules to catch up. I also presume that movement will shake your aim some, but this is conjecture. However, this also implies that pinpoint accuracy will be possible. What, if any, mechanic will be in place to prevent a large group of single-type weapons from devastating a single location, a problem that has plagued just about every incarnation of MW to date?

Well, this and Ragotag's' questions probably cover all the reticle vs actual weapon shot location issues I have, so I choose to take one of Aegis's hundred or so. Whichever one you like. Maybe the Charging one?

#109 Sonus

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

My main question primarily has to do with the mechs that will be made available for play:

Will there be a Madcat mech? By far my favorite mech to play and upgrade when the single player campaigns were a popular game. It was also one of the more versatile mechs in terms of what armaments it could equip since various mechs were only limited to Gauss type weapons or rocket salvos due to weight/tonage requirements or inability to equip certain kinds of armaments.

How close to the original designs are you keeping these mechs designed? Are you making minor adjustments to the design for the sake of graphic advancements in technology or generally trying to be as accurate as possible to past concept arts and cover designs? Are you using the BattleTech trading card game as a source of detail?

How will acquiring a new mechwarrior work? Is it based on income the pilot is able to accumulate or is it by some kind of experience point based tech tree?

And lastly, are there going to be preset mech clans in-game that players/pilots can join in allegience with? Or do players instead get to make their own clan filled with others whom the player is familiar with?

#110 WolfDragon Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSleepingforrest

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

My question is: "droll" which was released as an instrument of detection by the red mech (warhammer I think) in the video that came out in 2009, will be part of the game? It would be great to have a mini spy satellite to explore

#111 Khushrenada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostSonus, on 10 March 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

My main question primarily has to do with the mechs that will be made available for play:

Will there be a Madcat mech? By far my favorite mech to play and upgrade when the single player campaigns were a popular game. It was also one of the more versatile mechs in terms of what armaments it could equip since various mechs were only limited to Gauss type weapons or rocket salvos due to weight/tonage requirements or inability to equip certain kinds of armaments.

in short: no
in long: no, since the game is starting somewhere shortly before the clans invade the inner sphere, so no clan mechs/tech are available at start, but i guess that is going to change after some time.

How will acquiring a new mechwarrior work? Is it based on income the pilot is able to accumulate or is it by some kind of experience point based tech tree?

i`m not quite sure i get your question, but there will be one mechwarrior, you. there is not really use for more mechwarriors in some sort of roster, since you can learn everything with that one character anyways. also you can`t lead your own lance with npc controlled mechs into battle.

And lastly, are there going to be preset mech clans in-game that players/pilots can join in allegience with? Or do players instead get to make their own clan filled with others whom the player is familiar with?

i`m not sure about the preset clans(merc units?), but there are preset house factions that players can join. i guess the same applies to clans later on, when they are implemented into the game. (if you are talking about THE clans, like jade falcon and others, again they won`t be in game at start)
merc units can be created by players for players from the start.

#112 Belisarius1

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

It would be great to have a dev weigh on in on the weapon accuracy debate. There's a raging thread over in the suggestion forums. (http://mwomercs.com/...-hit-locations/)

Specifically, is convergence the only mechanic that will offset shots from the crosshair location? Has cone of fire been ruled out as a game mechanic? Are there any RNG-based penalties to shooting on the move?

Personally, I'm hoping for yes, yes and no. I think.

Edited by Belisarius†, 11 March 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#113 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Is it possible to sync the arms and torso reticles so that they do not separate? The idea being that the arms are limited to torso rotation speed. This ability would be a useful tool when engaging at range.

Edited by Fresh_Meat, 11 March 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#114 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Monday has arrived... I'm excited to hear some Dev perspective and fact like statements!!

Whooo!!!!Hooooo!!!!

o7

#115 Fomorian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 267 posts
  • LocationAshburn Virginia

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

A question about Strategic game play how will you folks be handling Strikes raids and Invasions of the various factions planets? Will there be some similarities to the old Kesmai MPBT where unit commanders have the ability to move units from one planet to another in support of supply lines or cutting enemy supply lines thus stalling invasions?

#116 GD26

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I don't know if this was being asked:

Will there be a replay mode for the missions?

#117 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

How will your servers be set up? I previous played with a unit based in the US, but I'm from the UK. Are servers going to be split (EU, US, Oceanic), forcing you to play by region, or will you have the option to play with anyone, anywhere?

#118 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

One more question about servers: would it be possible to host a custom/LAN server for simple, non-persistent DM/TDM games?

#119 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 07 March 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Answers will be given on Monday the 12th.

Okay... woohooo.... So Where are the Answers?

I bet East coast guys like me must seem a bit over anxious. We are three hours ahead of West Coast.

yeah... ummm... So Where are the Answers? :-)

Edited by Render, 12 March 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#120 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Locking, thanks for all your questions everyone ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users