Northwind Highlanders' Base

43 replies to this topic

#1 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

This is not the recruiting page, it is a rambling nonsense place. Go to Northwind Highlanders, we are accepting applications there, we are having conversations that are private, so go away!!! oh and sign up here too,
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Northwind-Highlanders/212992222106432

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY: GO TO MEKTEK TOO!!

This unit is following the lead of Devil Man's original desire for the Northwind Highlanders to unite and fight together and not against one another as different units. You may be our up and coming leader, But first Yo must join the roll call list.
http://mwomercs.com/...nd-highlanders/

Aut pax aut bellum! Through peace or war;

I am a Highlander, I serve Northwind.

~Tyr Gunn

If you're man enough to wear a kilt, you're in!

We are still in the early stages of deployment and have yet to establish a chain of command. If you're interested in helping us to develop a unit and design a website, you need only speak up!

And a heads up: We are not a hardcore role-playing merc unit. There are those of us who really enjoy RPing and there are those who couldn't care less about it. So don't let the canon discussions in this thread cause you pause if you aren't into RP.
Edited by Devil Man, 23 February 2012 - 05:42 AM.

SO if you are not a member yet please go to this link:http://mwomercs.com/...nd-highlanders/

And if ya are, step into our little pub, and Have our bar man Chuckie, pour something fine and cold.

Edited by plodder, 20 March 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#2 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Moving to Merc Recruitment.

#3 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Highlanders!!!! I have an idea that may work. U know you can edit your posts, right? I just did it here. I now have a place on the first page I can daily make notations. Now of course Maxoconner, needs a page for two of his posts alone, but we all enjoy his enthuisiasm, dang my spell check aint working!

So wha do think?

Here is a bit of wisdom from a valuable source:
“Things ha’ come to a pretty pass, ye ken, if people are going to leave stuff like that aroound where innocent people could accidentally smash the door doon and lever the bars aside and take the big chain off ‘f the cupboard and pick the lock and drink it!” ~Rob Anybody Posted Image

Edited by plodder, 20 March 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#4 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

No problem, it happens.

#5 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Accepted, are those that want to be involved, like Chuckie!!!!

View PostChuckie, on 04 February 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Thinking a monty pythonesque unit maybe in order when the game goes live..

How about the "The Knights of Ni" a unit of the Northwind Highlanders :P

The Knights of Ni's history has a canon all its own. The Knights of Ni were formed in 927. With "Ni" being but one of the three sacred words that the Knights of Ni say. The other two are "Peng" and "Nee-wom." They are on a quest to find The Great and Almighty Shrubbery, and consider this journey the meaning of their lives. Some experts say that The Great and Almighty Shrubbery is in fact the same burning bush that Moses talked to in the Bible. Currently, the group is on the verge of having a schism because some of the members believe the meaning of life is in fact 42, and still others believe it to be The Great and Almighty Breakfast Cereal of Holy Powers Beyond Our Mortal and Completely Naive Understanding.

Our logo should incorporate something like this (BTW would love someone with artwork skills to help make the logo)

Posted Image

and our motto

Posted Image

Could of course just be trimmed to say..

The Knights who say "NI"
Bring us a shrubbery !

I think our Merc Corp will be definately more fun and interesting than many of the others.. but just as deadly.

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 07 March 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

During the SL era 4 regiments of Highlanders went into self-imposed exile in CC because of disputes with the Northwind elders about joining CC partiallylike Tikonov was. Of course the self-imposed exile quickly went to a real exile for 200 years once Northwind fell to the Davions and then they became a FedCom auxiliary unit which ended up leading to disputes with Davions. i recently reread the NWH source book, the closest Northwind has ever come to true independace is post-Highlander Civil war were they are a barony of CC which is pretty much boils down to answering calls to arms and celebrating the Chancellors birthday with fireworks.

And the venerable Maxoconner

View Postmaxoconnor, on 01 November 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

Here are the regimental tartans as well as their logos.

Posted Image

Nice

Edited by plodder, 20 March 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#6 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Remember, though:

If you are NOT wearing a sporran, you are only wearing a skirt.

My sporran is an elephant head! (jk, but what a statement, eh!)

#7 Chuckie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

View Postplodder, on 10 March 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

We accepted those that want to be involved, like Chuckie!!!!

SWEET :P

View Postplodder, on 10 March 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

And the venerable Maxoconner

:o J/K

OK.. But you do know he is a Cappy though :D

I do not have "Forum skills" but do have basic HTML skills..

So count me to help if you need it.. not sure whats going to happen. I know the NWH group from MWLL is wanting to do something along with others..

Then there is Metro and the other "Wanna be" NWH Cappys :)

Edited by Chuckie, 10 March 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#8 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

I have some Photoshop skills and lots of pics to offer for a proper website so if we can combine our skills we can make a kick butt webpage.
As Captain Yellowbeard said, with your head on my body we could wreck civilization. <_<

#9 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 11 March 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

I have some Photoshop skills and lots of pics to offer for a proper website so if we can combine our skills we can make a kick butt webpage.
As Captain Yellowbeard said, with your head on my body we could wreck civilization. :)

Most awsome dude!! Could you also help me give death a melvin?

#10 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I wanted to post this here as well as the forum over on MekTek. I hope this helps.

I'd like to interject my 2 cents worth here.
1. I like Liao, always have always will, now that being said what drew me most to House Liao in the first place was the Northwind Highlanders, so when they leave I have to go with them but I'd like to point a few things out for those WE LOVE HOUSE DAVION players.

According to the latest revived and rectonned back story, which I can agree wtih mostly here is what happened in a nutshell for the Highlanders.

Northwind was colonized by remnants of the Stuart Clan, they formed a standing self defense force called the Northwind Highlanders.
At some point the majority of those Highlanders had a HUGE falling out with the Clan Elders, so they left for Liao space leaving only the 3rd Kearny Highlanders and Stuart's Highlanders on planet. This of course is a HUGE plot hole since the 3rd Kearny would have been formed well before the 1st or 2nd Kearney but that's neither here nor there.
House Davion comes in and wipes out the 3rd Kearny and Stuart's Highlanders thereby taking over Northwind. Meanwhile over in Liao space the Highlanders have come to an *agreement* with the Capellans, we will work for you but you have to try to help us take back our homeworld, so in a sense they were Mercenaries while at the same time not really true mercs in the sense of their primary motivation. This explains the grey area where we were listed as House Units in the original House Liao book, and later stated to be Mercs. They were not being paid money for services rendered, they were being supplied as a House unit and sent on missions for House Liao with the promise that Liao will get around to freeing Northwind.

While in service to House Liao the 1st and 2nd Kearny are formed, according to the 2nd Kearny's origin, they were formed from miners on Kearny, not the planet in Marik space but the southern continent on Northwind. This would imply that there was still much communication between the Highlanders and their friends and family back on Northwind. The Highlanders are a tight knit family so it would make sense for them to have pulled relatives from back home to come join the military forces currently located in Liao space.

The Northwind Highlanders serve House Liao for over 200 years, there is no way the Highlanders would have or could have remained completely separate from the Capellans they worked with, married, served and lived with. They were Capellans in every way that counted yet still considered themselves a part of Northwind as well.

During the 4th succession war House Davion approached the leadership of the NWH and said, we will give you back Northwind IF you come home now and don't interfere in our fight with House Liao. Now after 200 plus years of promising to get Northwind back and never fulfilling that promise, I can fully understand them saying "well boys, House Liao never held up their end of our bargain and all we ever wanted was Northwind back, so I say we bail and go home."

This action would not have been as simple as many people think because of all of the friends and relatives they had to leave behind and all of the people that died because the Highlanders left their post in the middle of a war. This was even documented in one of the novels in a flashback where MacLeod and the other regimental commanders all met to discuss leaving. There were many Highlanders who decided that staying and protecting the people that were their family in the confederation was more important than leaving for a planet they had never seen. To say these people are NOT Highlanders is an insult frankly.

Honor and duty are not always an easy thing to choose between. Even MacLeod understood these Capellan loyalists were still Highlanders, they only felt their duty lay in a different place. They were not against the Highlanders or their choice to leave. Both sides agreed to disagree and part as friends.

After returning home to Northwind, the clans were finally reunited and the Highlanders set about making their home. They did not participate in many fights during the last bits of the 4th succession war since they were rebuilding and reuniting with family and loved ones.

Shortly after moving home, they discovered what House Davion's idea of independence really was, you are free to listen to what we have to tell you and then you are free to do as you are told. Even the planetary leaders were Davion appointees with oversight capability. House Davion began to take away the carrot in favor of the stick more or less.

Enter Loren Jaffrey, a decedent of one of the Highlander's who stayed behind in House Liao when the Highlanders left. He was tasked by Sun-Tzu Liao to deny the Highlanders to House Davion or destroy them. Welcomed back personally by William MacLeod, Lorren was reunited with his Highlander family.
Again, once a Highlander, Always a Highlander.

Dissatisfaction with House Davion rule helped to spark a civil war between a younger generation that had grown up on Northwind under House Davion rule and many of the old timers who came from House Liao back to Northwind for their supposed independence. There would not have been a civil war if all of the Highlanders were happy being under House Davion's thumb. The anti-Davion side won the civil war and the Highlanders then as they have before in the past, welcomed back into the fold those Highlanders who just a few hours before had been shooting at them. Highlanders are always Highlanders no matter who they serve or where they live.

After finally throwing off House Davion's yoke, the Highlanders were finally, truly independent, and ironically, House Liao did in the end fulfill their promise to restore Northwind to the Highlander's free and clear because it was First Lord Sun-Tzu Liao who officially recognized Northwind's independence to the rest of the inner sphere, even going so far as to promise Capellan forces to defend this freedom. House Davion was forced to recognize this as well or look like the hypocrites they are, as they tout how they are all about freedom and free will.

Do not find fault with those of us who still hold a warm spot in our heart for the Confederation because they housed us, supported us and in the end did return Northwind to us. And never forget it was the Davion's who took Northwind from us in the first place and sought to keep us under their boot when we challenged them for our right to self governance.

We are now independent and can choose who we work for but please don't expect many of us Capellan sympathizers to swallow the House Davion is our friend cool aid because they are not. Only Highlander's truly look out for Highlanders in the end. We have to trust only ourselves and keep all others at arms length.

I hope this was informative and constructive in reconciling the different viewpoints on Highlander history and loyalties.
MechWarrior O'Connor signing off........

#11 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

I expect that we can withstand the fighting against our enemies, but can we survive the fighting within our ranks? Who here is a tactician in lance warfare? who is a proven solid follower? who is detail oriented, that has the time to make a formal list of members of our unit? Who will help the flood of new comers to the battletech universe? We will. We means you, and me.

Many will not care to the level i do, most will not care to the level above that. Most will though want to pilot, and be on the winning side.

There are many ways to win. One is in battle, another is to care for the pilots around you. We should become the best of all the merc units at this.
This is at the very heart of a unit which roots are claimed to go back to the black Irish, the Scottsman, or Scottish. Wulver mentioned family and clan. we use the word very differently than the cold almost inhuman way the clanners will use it. We mean Clan as family, a thing clanners find revolting.

#12 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

we only fight inhouse when we don't have a fight out of the house. So keep the contracts rolling in and the enemy to the front. Just means we are Gaelic/Celtic Irish/Scottish

:unsure:

Either way, we fight, we get up, we shake, we have a pint, then do it again, no worries, just boys being boys

chris

#13 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

wear a kilt? no thanks, ill stick with wearing nothing at all.

#14 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

but a kilt is much cooler in a cockpit, with the breeze blowing cooling all the tender bits

chris

#15 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationBanished from nearly every world of the Inner Sphere on suspicions of being an assassin.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

View Postwwiiogre, on 16 March 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

but a kilt is much cooler in a cockpit, with the breeze blowing cooling all the tender bits

chris

wool is such an itchy material, going nude is the only way to go. also once you start using the video coms, this is sheer intimidation factor to the enemy, at least if you are me.

#16 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

if you don't have enough fortitude to ignore the effects of wool on skin, then you have no business in a kilt. The tartan on the Battlemech is enough to scare any enemy, but the pipes will be blaring so talking on coms won't work anyway.

chris

#17 LordDeathStrike

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postwwiiogre, on 16 March 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

if you don't have enough fortitude to ignore the effects of wool on skin, then you have no business in a kilt. The tartan on the Battlemech is enough to scare any enemy, but the pipes will be blaring so talking on coms won't work anyway.

chris

with video coms the naked picture feed of me is speechless inducing any way (ild post my webcam feed but im sure it would get moderated)

#18 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostLordDeathStrike, on 16 March 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

with video coms the naked picture feed of me is speechless inducing any way (ild post my webcam feed but im sure it would get moderated)

Amen brother, one reason to thank God for moderators;0)

#19 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

You wear a utilikilt in the cockpit boys, like this.
Posted Image

#20 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my war pipes. Callsign: IRISH
Posted Image

So in one sentence or four, should we follow canon for house loyalty or our muse?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users