96 replies to this topic

#41 Tryg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

There is no escaping the insanity of the internet these days. Short of hiding out in the wilderness or managing to avoid contact with all but the less internet-aware types, you will be subjected to it. And on a free-to-play online game? Unfortunately you'll get it in abundance. The one saving grace is that many of the worst of the bunch are fond of really obnoxious color schemes that stand out against any terrain...short of maybe a vegas styled backdrop of neon signs. That being said, they make really eye-catching targets.

Your best bet for being as immersed as possible in the lore without excessive memes would be to enlist with a hardcore merc unit that'll keep such stuff out of their own dealings. Then you'll just be seeing it on the enemies side of the field.

Edited by Tryg, 11 March 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#42 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

View PostDragon Lady, on 11 March 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

To the Opening Post:

Please keep in mind that references to contemporary culture has a long history in Battletech. We're talking about a game that has, in canon, a Merc company like Team Banzai. Or how a certain famous Mechwarrior is practically a clone of a marvel comic's super hero. And then there's Cranston Snord's Irregulars, whose only existence in my mind was to justify references to late 20th century culture in the Battletech Universe.

So I have no problems with units like the Eridani Light Poly existing in the MWO universe. There's already a precedent for it.

Yeah..and the Jenner.

#43 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostTryg, on 11 March 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

There is no escaping the insanity of the internet these days. Short of hiding out in the wilderness or managing to avoid contact with all but the less internet-aware types, you will be subjected to it. And on a free-to-play online game? Unfortunately you'll get it in abundance. The one saving grace is that many of the worst of the bunch are fond of really obnoxious color schemes that stand out against any terrain...short of maybe a vegas styled backdrop of neon signs. That being said, they make really eye-catching targets.

Your best bet for being as immersed as possible in the lore without excessive memes would be to enlist with a hardcore merc unit that'll keep such stuff out of their own dealings. Then you'll just be seeing it on the enemies side of the field.

Yup I will do :rolleyes: send me any ideas if you know any clans out there cheers <_<

#44 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 11 March 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Yeah..and the Jenner.

I hear that Mech is immensely popular with the Merc unit "Kardashian's Kossacks"... <_<

#45 Carebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thats what devs think. Sell 500k for 50 bucks its wholelot of money. I think World of Tanks is only game what makes decent amount of money, 2.5mill registered members is very respectable, if 20% of those actually gives them some money.

Good example couple week back, there was free weekend on Steam for PAYDAY The heist, people called you ***** etc.

Edited by Carebear, 11 March 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#46 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

As a joke when STO was in beta, a small group of me and my trek buddies were going to get ships with canon names, fly to a small corner of space with noone else in it and set up the "True Trekkie League" that was true to the canon. 'Course it fell through like everything else, but it's proof that if you don't like something enough, people'll make something to 'ensure' that the canon is preserved.

Protip: Neon pink pony colours make poor camouflage.

#47 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

I don't know about you, but for me, aside from it being a bad camo color, if you're rocking pink on your Mech, a drama queen like this is simply begging to be their team's designated cannon fodder.

#48 Hangfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 204 posts
  • LocationToon of honest men and bonnie lassies

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostBoymonkey, on 11 March 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Yup I will do :D send me any ideas if you know any clans out there cheers :rolleyes:

Post your details in the Hiring Hall,, If a unit's looking they'll look in there <_<

http://mwomercs.com/...94-hiring-hall/

Edited by Hangfire, 11 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#49 Morashtak

• Mercenary
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

From the scaling in all the screen shots released so far it seems to me that decals will be for the pilot's ego only; They are going to be relatively small and besides, there's just not going to be a whole lot of time standing around chatting each other up, "Did you see the decal on that Jenner?" "Yeah, I want one just like it only in blue!"

Posting screen shots, or even better a 3D model viewer similar to the WoW Model Viewer, is really going to be the only practical way to show off your customized 'Mech.

If I can see ponies etc on someone's 'Mech I'm probably way to close for comfort anyway. <_<

#50 SnowDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 476 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland, Australia

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Never too close with a flamethrower! But you make a good point. Unless, you know, you're about to stomp some Flea flat with an Atlas.

#51 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Sadly, much (thankfully not all) of the gaming community has mindlessly degraded into a love for internet memes. It boils down to millions of people telling you the SAME joke OVER and OVER and OVER, each time expecting a response other that disdain. I think what it does is amuse other lemmings who support the same memes, and it just wears on the nerves of those who are, let's say, much less tolerant of repetition.

#52 Stovebolt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCotton Candy Skull Island, TX

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

You know, I was all set to say, "Yeah, memes are lame" but then I was thinking about it and....isn't WWII bomber nose art just a collection of memes? I mean, a whole heap of them were cartoon characters - the rest big-tittied naked chicks.

But ponies and other cutesy stuff? Naaaah...

Wait. Liberian society was in decay for a good couple of decades (just like the state of the Inner Sphere before the recovery of the Helm Memory Core) and look at what these psychotic bloodthirsty child-soldier using ******** dressed up like:

Posted Image

Yup. Dude's wearing a wedding dress.

Posted Image

(Note, I'm not trying to make light of the Liberian civil war. It was a vile awful thing that...it is so bad I'm not sure what to write here - just pointing out that people start doing wierd things when **** falls apart).

So maybe Ponies aren't that out of character after all.

#53 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Like all things.. anyone's choices, in moderation, are their own business. There is always opposition to a minority, especially one who differs from the expected "norms" of society. Lets however consider that those "Furries/ponies... what have you" are also people. While their needs and drives may differ from the hard core mech heads (Nerds with a mechanical disposition), they are no different in their goals, have fun with those of a similar mindset, they like scifi, and war games, they just go the next step that maybe we wouldn't and dress (talk, walk, sneeze whatever) in an different manner and see a softer light (pastel if you will) than others who generally enjoy this genre of games. A love of the color pink should not reduce the value you might come to find in someone, a potential friend. I have a lot of friends who find my love of war history illogical and brutal, and dare not cross the discussion boarder with me on the topic. My ideas, frankly, rarely meet the accepted social experience, I am to dark, to cruel and to in-compassionate, when I discuss such things the use of tactical nuclear weapons on a battlefield.

Does that mean that the "pony brigade" or "furry experience" is for me, to the contrary, I find it obnoxious and silly. But I will not judge the individual contributors to those groups based on the group think as long as they don't come to my door, and try to convert me, which wouldn't work, I hate pastels.

This will be my last post on this matter, I welcome players, regardless of their color wheel choices or texture of their outfits as equals. They are humans, regardless of the anima they attempt to perceive themselves as. But before I let their color choices determine the value I place on them or their in-game contribution, I will engage them as myself, the hard core nerd, with a rather drab camouflage color pattern selection and likely in sweat pants and TOOL Tee Shirt. While we might or might not not like each other in the end, I will offer them the same hand in friendship to start with, the same chance to engage me in conversation about mutually enjoyed topics, but if that course leads to "ponyriffic" discussion, I will kindly divert myself back to my comfort zone with the care, compassion and caution, of doing so with self respect and respect for others. Those on either side of the fence who cannot moderate their"push" for "their way", trying to cram their idea of right and wrong down the throats of the middle, need watch for the red eyed anger of the middle when the extreme perspectives get tiresome to those of us who are more moderate.

To declare unconditionally that the select life choices (color choice, fur choice.. whatever) of others should be held in in-game abstinence is to put your own neck on the chopping block next. Your perception, found so "hardcore" now,can be brought to question by those to whom you agreed with at first, but are found wanting by that group, for also not being "hardcore" enough later.

Peace, moderation, respect and PPCs, see you all under the crosshairs!

End of Rant...That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 11 March 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#54 Blackfire1

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Isn't this in the wrong section?

#55 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I dunno...Seems to me they are posting about anything in here..Seemed the place to say it. Moderators day off?

the OP said this ... I found his desire to limit or determine the choices of others rather obtuse.

"By this I mean If we are allowed to design our clan symbol,make clan names lets leave out all the latest internet memes.
By this I include ponys,awesome face etc.[/color]
I want this game to look and feel like the BT world so if you have a clan and you want to have an alliance with another clan I urge you to ignore the clans which are not in line with the background of the battletech universe.
I can think of nothing worse than seeing a mech with a pony on.. "

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 11 March 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#56 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 11 March 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

Sadly, much (thankfully not all) of the gaming community has mindlessly degraded into a love for internet memes. It boils down to millions of people telling you the SAME joke OVER and OVER and OVER, each time expecting a response other that disdain. I think what it does is amuse other lemmings who support the same memes, and it just wears on the nerves of those who are, let's say, much less tolerant of repetition.

Well, that's the way it is nowdays. We won't make these people different, so just hope the next generation will be more intelligent. <_<

#57 Morgana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCleaning 10-year old dust out of Cockpit!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostMorashtak, on 11 March 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

If I can see ponies etc on someone's 'Mech I'm probably way to close for comfort anyway. <_<

Right On Brother!!! Let 'em put what they want on their Mech, it will just make it that more fun when they go down!

#58 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

First i thought that limiting the colour palette may be a good thing, then i was like "OWAIT we already have a house with purple mechs". Time to move on. :rolleyes:

Otherwise images on the mechs will be probably rather small so it shouldn't matter if there is a mech with ponies or skulls in the crosshair, tho when i have to choose between shooting a "normal" mech and a shiny pink one i'll prolly take the latter so it stops being an eyesore earlier. <_<

#59 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 11 March 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I dunno...Seems to me they are posting about anything in here..Seemed the place to say it. Moderators day off?

the OP said this ... I found his desire to limit or determine the choices of others rather obtuse.

"By this I mean If we are allowed to design our clan symbol,make clan names lets leave out all the latest internet memes.
By this I include ponys,awesome face etc.[/color]
I want this game to look and feel like the BT world so if you have a clan and you want to have an alliance with another clan I urge you to ignore the clans which are not in line with the background of the battletech universe.
I can think of nothing worse than seeing a mech with a pony on.. "

Did I say ban them? no I asked for people not to indulge clans based on internet memes because they spoil peoples immersion in the BT universe.
Obtuse? well I find people who say "you mad bro?" all the time and going on about ponies obtuse.

#60 Lolpanzer

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sorry, but the internet is just going to infect this game with memes before you can realize it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users