• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

well a whiles back i did a little Atlas do's and dont's

http://mwomercs.com/...147#entry896147

and most of this week i've been powin around in a Hunchback
Hunchback HBK-4SP if my favorite so far. good weapon spread over the hardpoints (can get any body part shot off and still can fight) nice mix of missiles and lasers for some close range stopping power

so this goes out to all of those "other" absent minded drivers of the Hunchbacks Posted Image

1) Running in first.... sometimes yes. most times i've seen... not really. early game try to pair off with another medium or heavy or act as back up for an assault (believe me i appreciated a Centurion, Hunchback or even a Dragon as fire support on the Atlas). Late game if your weapons and armor are still good try and find some softened up targets. sometimes it's easier to pick apart another mech one side torso at a time if their center is still at good armor hp. (lucky ammo explosion helps too)
note: i've noticed that while paired up with an Atlas they tend to NOT see me as an immediate threat. giving me ample time to prove them wrong Posted Image

2) Remember your not the slowest guy out there. if you run into a heavier opponent try and pop off a few shots and get away, he may have friends nearby and then yer up the crick. get to cover or safety before any faster movers show up or you can lure him into your allies if their close. use terrain to your ADVANTAGE (only once i was able to catch an Atlas alone and in an area of heavy cover and i was able to play peak-a-boo with him (for at least 2 mintues...) till he was almost dead, then the cavalry showed up to finish him off) you have descent mobility "use it"

3) HEAT, good old heat. it can be an issue on more laser hardpoint intensive variants. if your cooking really hot, back out find some cover and cool off... if no cover is available, run around and hope they are bad shots. you're not doing anyone any good if you overheat and are an easy target. we know how fast lights get shot up when they are sitting ducks... don't be that guy Posted Image chain fire your lasers if possible to have a better control on your heat build up.

4) Dealing with Light Mechs. this was my fun part. first off, don't play "their" game. if they want you to chase them, chances are you're not going to and they are trying bait you. on the other hand if they are actively trying to engage you don't let them get behind you, you can still slow your speed or pop it in reverse to turn quicker and if you have arm mounted weapons he can rarely get out of your firing arc. if you see one running towards you, never fear! you can still turn left and right very well. steer yourself right into him and knock him down, then empty as much firepower into him as your reactor will let you!

well that's about it. or at least the points of what i could think of now. keep blowing up the Catapult cockpits and scooping those Awesome heads off Posted Image

6/23/13: been playing with this thing today so here's my lucky Hunchie build HBK-4SP

Edited by Leded, 23 June 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Dear hunchies.
You are not a gun.

You are who you chose to be.

#3 EtherDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

When I was stomping about in an XL Laserback, I routinely did top 3 damage for the round by following the OP's advice. You are the knife in the back of a distracted Atlas, with the speed to get there, and the firepower to make it hurt once you're in range - but the enemy needs to have something more important than you to concentrate on - even if it's another HBK.

#4 Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

You carry less firepower than anything else that moves your speed. There is currently no job that you do better than a Catapult.

#5 The Cheese

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Dear Hunchie pilots,

Yours is the AC/20 that will pierce the Atlas.

Edited by The Cheese, 07 October 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#6 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostKobold, on 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

You carry less firepower than anything else that moves your speed. There is currently no job that you do better than a Catapult.

Catapult drawback though is that nice and juicy easy to pop cockpit :(

#7 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Dear Hunchbacks,
Pray for engine boost back up to 300 limit. Please.

#8 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

OMG...so false...so wrong

In the mentioned case of the HBK-4SP (my personal favorite as well), it boils down to this...

You are an Awesome AWS-8T without armor, and faster. Your firepower and weapon loadouts can and should be almost identical. Your hardpoints are the exact same, and your available tonnage for firepower is almost identical when you factor in HS requirements to jump into higher brackets. DHS, and ES will lessen the firepower distinction even further. Play accordingly....

Mr 144

Edited by Mr 144, 07 October 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#9 Metatron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

I find the Medium mechs ---> bad

Just get a Dragon or Jenner.

Why bother with these walking targets,

#10 MuffinTop

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

3 medium lasers or 2 med pulse lasers? UAC5?AC10 or AC20? Would you also mount a TAG on your HBK4GF, or just another heatsink?

#11 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Until the jam patch Ultra AC5 and 2 MG's gave much love. I used it as a Cat killer, just needed to close range using cover. But with the jams this build is no longer viable. Sigh.

#12 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostMuffinTop, on 07 October 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

3 medium lasers or 2 med pulse lasers? UAC5?AC10 or AC20? Would you also mount a TAG on your HBK4GF, or just another heatsink?

i'm not a very big fan of the HBK-4G(F)
3 energy hardpoints and enough room and tonnage for a big ballistic weapon, made it feel under gunned to me. if that side torso with the AC20 gets taken out your down to 2 lasers at best, but i was able to get an AC20, and 3 medium lasers on it without too much dinking around. my HBK-4SP tho, carries 20 heat sinks, 5 Medium lasers and 2 SRM6s. only used 1 unit of SRM ammo. chain fire arms lasers in a separate group from the head for aiming purposes. i like the variant because even if one whole side of you get blown away, you still have 3 meds and 1 SRM6 to play with.
you can be just a Center Torso and a Head and you can STILL fight.... not well but you "can"

Edited by Leded, 07 October 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#13 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Alpha strike damage is not all that matters, a solid hit and run from an AC 20 or SRMs or a stack of lasers is not to be underestimated.

View PostMister Blastman, on 07 October 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Remember to make the enemies spread that damage people ! Even if you do loose your RT, a small laser and your left arm weapons are still dangerous
Dear Hunchbacks,
Pray for engine boost back up to 300 limit. Please.

Lagshield is a crutch. I've seen plenty of hunchback pilots able to bring out the potential of the hunchback without 120 Kph speed.

Edited by Vanguard836, 07 October 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#14 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yes, the AC20 is a sham. Too many critical slots and not enough support weapons to survive its loss on the hunchback.

#15 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostVanguard836, on 07 October 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

Lagshield is a crutch. I've seen plenty of hunchback pilots able to bring out the potential of the hunchback without 120 Kph speed.

Say what you want but work on your literacy first. I said 300 limit... Not 350+.

#16 Targetloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 963 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Just call me 50-ton 21. Hunch Life.

#17 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 07 October 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Say what you want but work on your literacy first. I said 300 limit... Not 350+.

And thank you for your critique instead of correcting me with the stat :(.

Anyways, yes speed helps but a hunchback is not an Atlas. IF one or more Atlas are around, follow them, they are made to take the brunt of the damage and if you manage to flank what ever is engaging it you can wreak havoc.

#18 Scav3ng3r

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationFree Worlds League

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostThe Cheese, on 07 October 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Dear Hunchie pilots,

Yours is the AC/20 that will pierce the Atlas.

Believe in the AC/20 that believes in you!

#19 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostVanguard836, on 07 October 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

And thank you for your critique instead of correcting me with the stat :(.

he kinda did both
we can try and be civil tho. i think we can assume anyone on a forum can at least read :blink:

#20 Vanguard836

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationOttawa, ON

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostLeded, on 07 October 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

he kinda did both
we can try and be civil tho. i think we can assume anyone on a forum can at least read :(

Agreed :blink:

Are you interested in making more variant specific tips ? I'd be happy to help if so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users