Understanding Clan Mechs and Their InnerSphere Names

162 replies to this topic

#41 Jarikan

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationIm in ur dropship, stealin ur mechs.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

well...its been a loooong time since i herd someone call the thor summoner...good times

#42 Hagetaka

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

If you go by the fluff there were other 'Mechs that showed up in smaller amounts. It'd take someone combing through the Sarna wiki to compile, though.

#43 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostHavoc2, on 20 March 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Pinned for the new people who want a 3070 era 'Mech, or new people who need to know the conversions, and to be reminded that THE EARLIEST WE WILL SEE CLAN 'MECHS IS A YEAR AFTER LAUNCH ?

Actually, the Clans were sighted in the Periphery first around August of 3049, so, we will likely at least start hearing reports about them much sooner (assuming they follow that timeline.)

#44 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostClaw55, on 02 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Question from a curious Spheroid. Are there Clan-Derived names for Clan refit [IIC] 'mechs? I can't find anything about that on Sarna.

There should not be nor to the best of my knowledge where there ever separate names for these mechs, they are essentially 2.0 models made with clan tech. They were based on designs from before the clans existed; their names had been decided before even the succession wars, so the clans never needed 'new' names for them.

#45 IronEricP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBangor, ME

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Wonder if and when second line clan mechs would become available. They existed, but where almost completely unseen during the invasion (excepting the few IS counterattacks, Twycross for example).

On another note, does anybody remember the OTHER japanese names that did NOT stay as the official ones? Daishi did of course, but others are just english translations of the names given by the combine. hagetaka :lol:, it will mess up your day in any language.

#46 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

View PostFranklen Avignon, on 11 June 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

Actually, the Clans were sighted in the Periphery first around August of 3049, so, we will likely at least start hearing reports about them much sooner (assuming they follow that timeline.)

The only public reports that might be scene in the news is corporations stating that there are several incidents of jumpships long overdue from their trips to the periphery, or, Trading corporations asking the FedCom (or Kurita) to look into pirate activity because they lost contact with planets in the periphery.

I am sure that the different Intelligence arms are reporting to thir respected House Lords Intel Black outs in the Periphery. I think they would feel it was either do to a failed HPG on a ComStar facilities or due to Pirate activity.

#47 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

View PostClaw55, on 02 May 2012 - 02:50 PM, said:

Question from a curious Spheroid. Are there Clan-Derived names for Clan refit [IIC] 'mechs? I can't find anything about that on Sarna.

Refitted IS Designs

Besides designing and building their own machines, the Clans also stripped down and re-built a number of existing Inner Sphere designs to improve their speed, firepower, and armor. These are given the designation IIC to distinguish them from the original model. In addition, there were several Inner Sphere 'Mechs that had only their weapons refitted. These 'Mechs are designated with a ( C ).

Edited by Skylarr, 21 June 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#48 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

View PostEric Portenelli, on 13 June 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Wonder if and when second line clan mechs would become available. They existed, but where almost completely unseen during the invasion (excepting the few IS counterattacks, Twycross for example).

On another note, does anybody remember the OTHER japanese names that did NOT stay as the official ones? Daishi did of course, but others are just english translations of the names given by the combine. hagetaka :(, it will mess up your day in any language.

I am sure there might have been other Omni designs involved in the Invasion. Just like there were many IIC deisgns as well. But, The reports of mech with strange designs and weaponary is what is sticking in the heads of the shell shocks survivors that were able to extract themselves off a planets.

#49 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNorthern California, Terra

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

You know what I'd like? A translation of the Drac names of some Omni's to English. Koshi, Ryoken, Masakari.....any DCMS types wanna help me out?

#50 eaton2003

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationFt. Lewis Washington

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

i still have the hand held timber wolf game that you changed the weapons by plugging in parts, still on my shelf

#51 deathanxiety

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostJarikan, on 07 June 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

well...its been a loooong time since i herd someone call the thor summoner...good times

Same here. Also Kit Fox - Uller. Been a long time.

#52 Akula

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 152 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostSGT Unther, on 27 April 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Well the first Clan invasion is in August of 3049 and this one only lasts about 13.5 months and attacks the outer areas of Lyran Commonweath, DC, and the FRR.

The second one comes 25 months (October 3051) later and this is the big invasion of the Innersphere, and the battle at Luthien doesn't happen until January 3051.

You're kind of on the right line, but you're a little off. The invasion took place in waves.

Periphery Action
(August-September 3049) - The Periphery is littered with small colonies and a handful of interstellar nations who were fiercely independent.

Wave 1
(March-April 3050)

Wave 2
(May-June 3050)

Wave 3
(June 3050)

Wave 4
(July-October 3050)

Wave 5
(November 3051-January 3052)

#53 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:53 AM

Make sure you mark where Tyra Miraborg blew the holy hell out of the DIre Wolf, killing the ilKhan and stalling the invasion.

#54 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Daishi - great death - 大死
Koshi - small death - 小死
Masakari - battle axe - まさかり
Ryoken - dragon fist - 竜拳

View PostSkyefox, on 27 June 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

You know what I'd like? A translation of the Drac names of some Omni's to English. Koshi, Ryoken, Masakari.....any DCMS types wanna help me out?

#55 Skyefox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

View PostHunson Abadeer, on 02 July 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Daishi - great death - 大死
Koshi - small death - 小死
Masakari - battle axe - まさかり
Ryoken - dragon fist - 竜拳

I was told a little bit ago the Ryo meant "steady" or "deliberate".

And thanks!

#56 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Transliterating Japanese can be tricky because kanji have two pronunciations (on, kun), and multiple kanji can be read the same way. You then have katakana and hiragana, which essentially spell words out phonetically. You can thus have numerous kanji that all read as "ryo" as well as words that are spelled phonetically including "ryo." In this context, I think that "dragon fist" (竜拳) is the most likely reading of "Ryoken."

View PostSkyefox, on 02 July 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

I was told a little bit ago the Ryo meant "steady" or "deliberate".

And thanks!

#57 Owl Vaughan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDefiance Industries Moon Laboratory

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Are there any other names for the Gladiator and Kodiak mechs, quiaff?

Edited by Owl Vaughan, 16 July 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#58 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostOwl Vaughan, on 07 July 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Are there any other names for Gladiator and Kodiak mechs quaiff?

The "Gladiator" is the Executioner. I do not recall the Kodiak ever being called anything else.

#59 Owl Vaughan

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDefiance Industries Moon Laboratory

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostHunson Abadeer, on 07 July 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

The "Gladiator" is the Executioner. I do not recall the Kodiak ever being called anything else.

The Executioner you say? well thank you for the that :) and I've never heard the Kodiak be called anything else either.

#60 Hunson Abadeer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostOwl Vaughan, on 08 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

The Executioner you say? well thank you for the that :) and I've never heard the Kodiak be called anything else either.

No worries: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Executioner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users