Sneak Preview! Turbo Corvair v2.0 SimPit (AS-7 SimPit)

61 replies to this topic

#1 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Alright folks, I've already got way more hours than I dare to admit in this project and there is still a LONG way to go but I have decided to cave in and show off what I've got in the works.

It should be obvious, but this project is nowhere near finished. There is not a single part that is yet complete. The screen in the center console is a functional monitor which I use (via "The Magnifier") to display my minimap.

The unimpeded full width field of view (zoom level 1) is no longer possible in game, the cockpit now takes up some of the screens now even in zoom modes. "The Magnifier" sucks, but it is the only thing I have found that (barely) gets the job done. I'm really hoping for a built in HUD export (at least the map) as seen on the Artemis concept controller.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Turbo Corvair, 09 January 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#2 Joe3142

Slothstronaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 958 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

That is looking pretty bloody good, and its not even done yet! cant wait to see it completed :)

I want to make one now :D :wacko:

Edited by Joe3142, 20 October 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#3 Nighpher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts
  • LocationBackwater planet

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Wait, your real life cockpit looks so similar to the in game one I could not tell the difference except for the partially hanging out wires. That is some might fine craftsmanship!

#4 pesco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Freaky cool!

Edit: Um yes, it said just "Freak" previously which, given then context, was meant as a compliment of admiration. Absolutely no offense intended!

Edited by pesco, 21 October 2012 - 05:00 AM.
Code of Conduct

#5 Thorgrim Malthus

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Looking beautiful thus far, I can't wait to see the final product, great attention to detail aswell.

#6 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Nice work!

....but too bad you can't disable the cockpit in-game. So you're going to be seeing doubles of your cockpit. lol

nice work

#7 The Testiclops

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Compie
  • Compie
  • 252 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Damn dude thats pretty cool. I actually took a double take and realized the right side pictures where real. Nice work.

#8 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

You sir will be featured on the NGNG Podcast #49! Amazing!

#9 Cattra Kell

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

This is absolutely fantastic!

#10 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

its great.Can u make me one too please? :(

#11 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostSean Lang, on 20 October 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

You sir will be featured on the NGNG Podcast #49! Amazing!

=)

Thanks all for the complements! I'm dying to get it finished but it's painfully slow going!

Oh, and you have no idea how much it burned me up when they changed the in game cockpit model a month into the project!!!!!

#12 INAPPROPRIATE NAME 0001

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

Now toss a $20 mouse in that thing so you can actually aim and contribute to your team.

#13 Hatachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 456 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

I love my x52 pro as well. :( I would kill for the ability to move UI elements to seperate screens and buy 2 little 3 7-9 inch monitors for health/ target health/ map

#14 Urban UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

WoW!!! Nice work, I think youv'e raised the bar a bit now, awesome

how did you manage to fit an atlas in your house? :(

Edited by Urban UK, 20 October 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#15 Amadeaus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

That is kick A$$ dude, If you dont mind me asking how much will you have invested by the time you are finished?

#16 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

:(

That's amazing

#17 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

like a certain actor that I won't name (cough*KeanuReeves*cough) once said.

Woah

#18 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostINAPPROPRIATE NAME 0001, on 20 October 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Now toss a $20 mouse in that thing so you can actually aim and contribute to your team.

I am loathe to dignify this with a response, but I am essentially always in the top three in pre-made groups, often first.

#19 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostAmadeaus, on 20 October 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

That is kick A$$ dude, If you dont mind me asking how much will you have invested by the time you are finished?

The real investment is time. I used a combination of dirt cheap materials (mostly $10 sheets of 1/4 inch ply) and old stuff from my fathers basement. I used a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of plexiglass that has been around longer than I have and I'm 32 years old, an old broken trailer tail light lens, a couple 30 plus year old coils of wire, etc. The lights are all $6 strands of 100 LED white xmas lights which were unwound and cut apart. To get the right voltage to the LED's each circuit has to have exactly 32 LED's. Most of the little stuff... colored transparent tape, toggle switches... all bought on ebay dirt cheap.

The project did nickle and dime me to death, and of course there is the issue of the actual PC hardware but I collected the three 28" monitors over a period of five years, build my own PC every two years and sell the old stuff on ebay to help pay for it.... I live on a budget but this did still run up my credit cards quite a bit.

Time is another story though..... my time investment in this is absolutely ridiculous.

#20 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

View PostTurbo Corvair, on 20 October 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

The real investment is time. I used a combination of dirt cheap materials (mostly $10 sheets of 1/4 inch ply) and old stuff from my fathers basement. I used a 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of plexiglass that has been around longer than I have and I'm 32 years old, an old broken trailer tail light lens, a couple 30 plus year old coils of wire, etc. The lights are all $6 strands of 100 LED white xmas lights which were unwound and cut apart. To get the right voltage to the LED's each circuit has to have exactly 32 LED's. Most of the little stuff... colored transparent tape, toggle switches... all bought on ebay dirt cheap.

The project did nickle and dime me to death, and of course there is the issue of the actual PC hardware but I collected the three 28" monitors over a period of five years, build my own PC every two years and sell the old stuff on ebay to help pay for it.... I live on a budget but this did still run up my credit cards quite a bit.

Time is another story though..... my time investment in this is absolutely ridiculous.

A real man has a simpit. Everybody else's just scared.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users