ALL JOYSTICK USERS

joystick flight system HOTAS configuration config controller

373 replies to this topic

#21 JJW360

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Anyone know of any program i can download to edit user.cfg file beacuse right now it is not even allowing me to view

#22 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostJJW360, on 26 November 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Anyone know of any program i can download to edit user.cfg file beacuse right now it is not even allowing me to view

The default User.cfg file is blank, you can open it with Notepad and edit the file either by entering configs manually or by copy and paste.

#23 Choppermike

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTexas usa

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I've added to the config file.

I still have an issue with my Thrustmast Hotas X only allowing my throttle and turn in ONE direction.

I can only remap throttle either forward or reverse...not both. (same with turn left etc.)

I'm new to MWO and so is the joystick. any help for an old man is appreciated.

Mike

#24 Soresu

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Paul, thanks for this post, it was absolutely essential to make joysticks playable.

My only question is, what are the max/min values for the config settings you listed? And do the values scale linearly?

#25 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

This is how airplanes work and how you should leave it unless you're some sort of demon spawn that does it backwards.

Best part of the post.

Glad to know about the technical issues going on with the joysticks at the moment.

#26 Lambda Knight

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Is it possible to map the entire throttle range to the positive throttle and then use the "Invert Throttle" command to switch between positive throttle and negative throttle?

#27 Malfeasant Reprobate

Rookie

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the guide.
For the 1st time am actually able to use ThrustMaster T.16000M by setting up the user.cfg file as directed in this thread.
1st question: Is there a way to decrease the pitch sensitivity? Just look at this controller and Mech pitches full fwd.
I have searched & researched the forums thinking that I saw that somewhere but am unable to find.
2nd question: Is it still necessary to modify the actionmaps.xls file? as i have tried several times unsuccessfully, but since the setup and with the controller actually working the actionmap.xls file is no longer blank/empty.
Thanks again

#28 windermere

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks

#29 Spencer Kadeth

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

So, I'm new here. I've looked around for an answer to my problem and haven't found anything. I have a joystick, Logitech Extreme 3d PRO. It calibrates fine thru windows and the Logitech software. However, the joystick doesn't seem to be recognized "in game" or in "options." Does anyone have an idea why the game would refuse to see my joystick?

#30 Howling

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

How about using the program that MWLL uses for setting up a joystick since MWO controls options are slacking it.

Funny how I use my axes to turn right but wont let me use the same axes to turn left, so its always turning right when I want to go left.

Last time I checked the program that MWLL uses was coded in Java by a community member, For Cryeng2, so why who can make one for Cryeng3?

Just a though

#31 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

Spencer, the procedure in Options is to double click the axis you want to map and then move it on your controller.
You will still have to use other commands to make it behave like a Flightsim Joystick.

Here is the bit you paste into user.cfg once you have opened it in Notepad. Anything with a semicolon gets treated as a comment

cl_joystick_gain = 13
; cl_joystick_gain = 5 NOTE YOU WILL HAVE TO EXPERIMENT WITH THESE VALUES. USE 8 gain and 0.7 sensitivity to start ; ; with I leave my values as an example. AFAIK its the ratio that determines what happens
cl_joystick_sensitivity = 1.25 ;setting was 0.7/1.05/1.14
cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
; cl_joystick_invert_yaw = 0
; cl_joystick_invert_turn = 0
; i_joystick_deadzone = 0.25 the syntax may be incorrect
i_joystick_buffered = 0 ;supposed to increase sensitivity

The throttle_range command turns it into a switch that is neutral in the centre, so you just pull back to reverse and push forward to accelerate

#32 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

View Postgweedotk, on 30 November 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Thanks for the guide.
For the 1st time am actually able to use ThrustMaster T.16000M by setting up the user.cfg file as directed in this thread.
1st question: Is there a way to decrease the pitch sensitivity? Just look at this controller and Mech pitches full fwd.

2nd question: Is it still necessary to modify the actionmaps.xls file? as i have tried several times unsuccessfully, but since the setup and with the controller actually working the actionmap.xls file is no longer blank/empty.
Thanks again

1. No, there is no way to set the pitch sensitivity separately.

2. I have never had to modify the actionmap.xls file myself. Doubleclicking and assigning in options works for me. Just to explain modifying the actionmap.xls file is a holdover from early closed beta, and as of Sept this year I had no occasion to use it. However, there should be a complete actionmap.xls floating around on the forums which you can try. I recall it bound the Jump Jet forward to q though, which now has a different function.

Edited by Hammerhai, 02 December 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#33 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

View PostLambda Knight, on 29 November 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Is it possible to map the entire throttle range to the positive throttle and then use the "Invert Throttle" command to switch between positive throttle and negative throttle?

Yes it is. I had been doing exactly this until recently. I used the CH Pro Throttle and select 'invert throttle' with a button on the throttle. This gives me the full throttle for each direction. I have adjusted my control layout recently and found that a centered throttle allows for faster negotiation of my forward and reverse actions at low speeds.

#34 Grenadapult

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHermann, MO

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

View PostSpencer Kadeth, on 01 December 2012 - 05:51 AM, said:

So, I'm new here. I've looked around for an answer to my problem and haven't found anything. I have a joystick, Logitech Extreme 3d PRO. It calibrates fine thru windows and the Logitech software. However, the joystick doesn't seem to be recognized "in game" or in "options." Does anyone have an idea why the game would refuse to see my joystick?

I have the same joystick, and had the same problem. Are you sure its not there at all, ort just doesn't look like it? Mine shows up as "joy01" or something like that. Doesn't LOOK LIKE its there, but I got it working. Once I did though, the axis is SUPER SLOW and backwards. Now I have to figure out how to hack the config file.

#35 Stile3081

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:16 AM

using windows explorer navigate to or searcg for this directory -- :\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online and the user.cfg is in there

#36 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Here is how to set up many joysticks. Note the code is much better than in early beta.
Start you MWO client.
Go to options.
Double click on an axis in the third (joystick cloumn). MOVE the axis you want to assign on the joystick. Now there are already defaults. so if you assign your joystick x axis to the in game x axis, it will read as j0 and not change.

To change your throttle and your y axis direction.
Go to the mech warrior online dir.
Look for user.cfg
Open it in Notepad
Paste in the following

cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0
cl_joystick_invert_throttle = 1
cl_joystick_invert_pitch = 1
Save
It is necessary to invert pitch and/or throttle to get the familiar flight sim feel. Clicking invert y axis in options does not work as intended.
throttle range is nice in that setting it to 0 make you able to accelerate by pushing forward and reverse by pulling back, with stop in the middle

Edited by Hammerhai, 14 December 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#37 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Note that cryengine refers to the joysticks not by their windows names but by the designation j0 (first) to the last, which depends on the number of controllers you have attached. A full HOTAS setup would not go higher than j2axisxxx though.

#38 Taranchio

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Does anyone know the minimum setting of joystick deadzone for the cryengine?

I have CH products combat stick that has a pretty long throw and very accurate pots, so minimizing deadzone or even eliminating it in game and setting it in the driver software is preferred.

I have tried 0.1 but that still leaves about 3cm's of deadzone at the head of the stick, this make fine adjustments to aim very difficult.

Less than that and it seems to get bigger again. I'm lucky in that I can use mouse emulation on the stick to get the deadzone less feeling I prefer, but obviously using the setup as intended would be best.

#39 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

Lowest should be 0.05. It was in Closed Beta IIRC. Also my guess is it is the RATIO between gain and sensitivity that makes the feel. But that is just a guess. Good luck.
and you actually need to set a deadzone in the user.cfg in the command, so by default I would look at your settings in your controller software. Seems odd that a CH should have such a large deadzone. Good luck.

#40 So who took Pilot Name as a name

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationthe other side

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

cl_joystick_invert_throttle - This will make sure that when you push forward on your throttle, you're going to accelerate.

THERE IS A GOD *ahem* I mean, thanks guys! I was feeling a bit hopeless but then again, hadn't even STARTED to look up those forums for assistance, so yeah! Glad to see I can get THAT out of the way.

I wonder, how ''limited'' are we at editing that file? I sure want to assign my j1_pov0_right* to ''turning my cam/arns 90­° right'' and j1_pov0_left to ''turning my cam/arm 90° left''. But that very option isn't part of the controls in-game, there's only a way to assign ''Free Look''.

*apparently, it detects my 360 controller as j0, but I'm not using that one so whatever! Speaking of which, would I have to write ''cl_joystick1_[function]'' (naming convention used in this thread) or ''cl_j1_[function]'' (naming convention used in-game) in my USER.CFG file to assign it to my Wingman and not my 360 controller?

Edited by So who took Pilot Name as a name, 19 December 2012 - 10:53 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users