Reducing Bloodname counts

134 replies to this topic

#1 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

note I am not a clanner, never have been and never will be, but if all you guys out there are going to pretend to be clanners and have bloodnames, why don't you follow canon and limit it to 25 people with the name. For example there are currently 218 prydes. there should only be a max of 25. have fun.

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Would be hard to coordinate with new, incoming players... hrm...

You keep what you kill? Kill a player with a bloodname, then you win their profile name!

#3 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:13 PM

works for me

#4 Flux Reversal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSpace City, TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

This should be in off-topic because I feel a troll coming on.

#5 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

People should be able to name themselves what ever they want. Only jerks would take that away.

#6 Darth JarJar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Bloodnames were limited within the teams fighting in any of a number of older leagues. Problem is, there are a LOT of older leagues. For the most part, the people who sport Bloodnames earned the right to use them. I earned mine but chose not to carry it here. Who are you to say otherwise?

#7 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sadly, it is a bit late to limit all those names.

Though I do find it sort of silly for people to use them, however, that applies to all "famous" or "cannon" names. I wouldn't exactly be impressed by someone calling themselves "Genghis Khan" or "Winston Churchill" or "Bilbo Baggins" not out of spite but just because I already associate those names with someone else apart from some random forum member.

Then again, it is the same with Clan or Merc unit names for me. They just strike me as silly if they are based on actual units, because I don't see how one group has any more right to the name than another. (Though I know the same thing happens in WW2 games, where you have people making clans and even game-names based on real groups and people.)

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 26 October 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#8 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

View PostOZYM4NDI4S, on 26 October 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

This should be in off-topic because I feel a troll coming on.

Considering this is about something inherently tied to the clans, this is probably the proper section for it. Plus, i phrased it as a suggestion... how does this make me a troll...

View Postvon Bremerhaven, on 26 October 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Bloodnames were limited within the teams fighting in any of a number of older leagues. Problem is, there are a LOT of older leagues. For the most part, the people who sport Bloodnames earned the right to use them. I earned mine but chose not to carry it here. Who are you to say otherwise?

I will state that I am opposed to people using the names at all, but that is just personal preference. I just think it would add a lot to the CW and RP sides of the games to limit such last names.

View PostVodkavaiator, on 26 October 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

Sadly, it is a bit late to limit all those names.

Though I do find it sort of silly for people to use them, however, that applies to all "famous" or "cannon" names. I wouldn't exactly be impressed by someone calling themselves "Genghis Khan" or "Winston Churchill" or "Bilbo Baggins" not out of spite but just because I already associate those names with someone else apart from some random forum member.

Then again, it is the same with Clan or Merc unit names for me. They just strike me as silly if they are based on actual units, because I don't see how one group has any more right to the name than another. (Though I know the same thing happens in WW2 games, where you have people making clans and even game-names based on real groups and people.)

got to love how people have no imagination... and I would agree that no one has any more rights to the name than anyone else.

#9 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

It's just hard to regulate, and hard to make it fair for people. What happens if someone wins one, and then goes AWOL for a few years?

#10 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 27 October 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

It's just hard to regulate, and hard to make it fair for people. What happens if someone wins one, and then goes AWOL for a few years?

I would vote if you don't defend it you lose it. maybe 1-2 months of AFK then it goes up for grabs.

#11 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

The thing is we have no idea how each Clan is going to handle the matter because at this point each Clan is broken. There is NO official Clan Wolf, Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar etc. Since nobody can lay claim to the actual title, you have different groups who regulate themselves to Cluster or Galaxy size. At this point what do you do? Suppose each group follows the law of the lore & keeps it to 25. Suppose later on one unit meets another from the same Clan & decides to join up; who keeps their Bloodnames & who loses theirs?

There is a HUGE pool of Bloodnames to draw from, but it seems everybody wants to be a Kerensky, Pryde, Jorgennson or Osis which is where we are at now.

I did make a suggestion.

http://mwomercs.com/...6241#entry96241

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 27 October 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#12 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I can't believe you guys. Should we limit the people who can own Converse Chuck Taylors to 25? No, its nice to be able to do what you want. If your a fan off a faction and choose a clan name in that faction by all means choose it. It shouldn't be limited by first come first serve. Its a name for crying out loud. I don't care if only 25 people in the books could be named that, this isn't the books its a MMO theres going to be alot of names and limiting a word in the name that maybe 500,000 people might use would just be insane and the devs would need to go to the doctor to get checked out for assholeaccidis...

#13 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

and you completely ignore the thought that you could hold contests to see who can have the name. the clans are supposed to be based on skill right?

#14 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

That is a terrible idea, I would rather see 50,000 Kerenskys having fun that they got to have part of the name they choose then 25 a$$'s who grinded a lot of money and have a better set demolishing new members over a name, and besides the option to change your name would just be stupid. One week your Joe John then your Joe Olais' and nobody knows who you are. Holding contest to get a name would be a terrible idea. The Clans are based on skill, not MW's player names. If you want to make a merc group or something and only allow a certain member of Kerenskys be my guest. I hope you realize that your contest idea wont be thought of twice by developers. Its just stupid

#15 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

I never have and never will play the clans. I just dislike the people who choose names like that just to make themselves feel important. At least with this suggestion they might actually earn the names, vs attempting to ride on the recognition of others.

#16 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

I'm not a Clanner either, and I've used this name (Alex, Alec, Alik, Alexsandr... Kerensky) since before there were any clans in BT universe after Natasha Kerensky before they made her a Clanner and I don't intend to stop now. I'm been a Steiner under the 1st Katrina 3025 since 1988. Also if I remember my cannon Clanners would seek out and destroy, or capture if they made a pest of themselves, anybody that happened to have a Clanner last name so I'd be the first target of any actual Clanner in 3050. Outlawing or limiting surnames is like saying people can't be called Smith, because some idiotic child claimed that name 1st after he saw the Matrix.

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 27 October 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#17 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

View Postdal10, on 27 October 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

I never have and never will play the clans. I just dislike the people who choose names like that just to make themselves feel important. At least with this suggestion they might actually earn the names, vs attempting to ride on the recognition of others.

I dislike the people who dislike people for trying to add a little bit of MW history and lore into there name. It's for fun, it makes them feel a little bit cooler then being named something10 or Peter94. They are not attempting to "ride on the recognition of the others." They are being fans.

View PostAlik Kerensky, on 27 October 2012 - 01:42 PM, said:

I'm not a Clanner either, and I've used this name (Alex, Alec, Alik, Alexsandr... Kerensky) since before there were any clans in BT universe after Natasha Kerensky before they made her a Clanner and I don't intend to stop now. I'm been a Steiner under the 1st Katrina 3025 since 1988. Also if I remember my cannon Clanners would seek out and destroy, or capture if they made a pest of themselves, anybody that happened to have a Clanner last name so I'd be the first target of any actual Clanner in 3050. Outlawing or limiting surnames is like saying people can't be called Smith, because some idiotic child claimed that name 1st after he saw the Matrix.

He see's the point!

#18 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

I agree with the above. I would rather support people playing a persona and not worry about limiting their choice of names, rather than have them be called GaussOMG345, or Killerlol.

Clanners who take trials for their bloodnames can always just be smug that they earned it too, over the randos who roll around with the name, and gun for them or whatever.

#19 Cpt Grunge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Anything left to argue about dal?

#20 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

The IS has their lore & the Clans have their lore. Why hate on the Clan players for doing what they do? This is how the lore was written & players choose to implement it for RP value.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users