Patch Notes For Oct 25+29 Updated

v1.0.134

101 replies to this topic

#101 silverk

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I noticed alot of people say mm is fine and people need to learn to play and use team work. I believe they only see one part of the audience, namely the people with teams / clans to play with. Random people won't have the teamwork or communication of a premade. In most other fps games this discrepancy isn't as big of an issue, here are some key reasons why:

-When facing a significantly better team in a typical fps you can still do relatively well. This is because, while your team still loses, a single player can actually kill other players quickly. A single player can win a fight even when outnumbered. This is not the case with MWO, if your team is heavily outmatched, an individuals ability to perform well or feel influential is greatly diminished.

-Players can often pick a different server, switch teams, or be autobalanced.

-There is less reward/penalty for winning and losing, as with MWO there is a large xp and credit bonus if your "team" wins. But not as bad as wot which is 50%. Again this rewards the team and not the individuals performance.

As you can see this game focuses rewards based on the team and less on the individual, which I feel is fine, as long as teams are on a fair playing field. Sure you could say it is fair, everyone does have the opportunity to find clans, get friends to play and so forth. I think that's a legitimate argument. However I believe its highly impractical since it reduces the player audience greatly. Many people don't want or have time to delicate to clans or to organize with friends.

So why not have a game mode for both audiences? Pugs and premades.

#102 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

View Postsilverk, on 05 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I noticed alot of people say mm is fine and people need to learn to play and use team work. I believe they only see one part of the audience, namely the people with teams / clans to play with. Random people won't have the teamwork or communication of a premade. In most other fps games this discrepancy isn't as big of an issue, here are some key reasons why:

-When facing a significantly better team in a typical fps you can still do relatively well. This is because, while your team still loses, a single player can actually kill other players quickly. A single player can win a fight even when outnumbered. This is not the case with MWO, if your team is heavily outmatched, an individuals ability to perform well or feel influential is greatly diminished.

-Players can often pick a different server, switch teams, or be autobalanced.

-There is less reward/penalty for winning and losing, as with MWO there is a large xp and credit bonus if your "team" wins. But not as bad as wot which is 50%. Again this rewards the team and not the individuals performance.

As you can see this game focuses rewards based on the team and less on the individual, which I feel is fine, as long as teams are on a fair playing field. Sure you could say it is fair, everyone does have the opportunity to find clans, get friends to play and so forth. I think that's a legitimate argument. However I believe its highly impractical since it reduces the player audience greatly. Many people don't want or have time to delicate to clans or to organize with friends.

So why not have a game mode for both audiences? Pugs and premades.

Many of the old Mechwarrior veterans would say that the inability to score quick kills is a feature rather than a bug and is what seperates MW from other FPSes. If I wanted a "run-and-gun" experiance I'd be playing Halo or Battlefield.

Likewise are you aware that NGNG, House Davion and other quasi-official fora run public teamspeak servers that you can log into to find a group.

I'd be willing to bet that there are a good many "Premades" who are really just "PUGs" with comms. Being able to say "I'm taking fire in B6" or "Focus on the Awesome" without stopping to type is a major force multiplier.

Now obviously the ideal solution would be to have integral voicecomms as part of the netcode but there is a solid interem solution. Teamspeak is a free download. use it, love it.

I'll see you in Dropship 1. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users