v1.0.142

194 replies to this topic

#21 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 30 October 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

That test plan would definitely verify everything I currently suspect about this problem, thanks a lot! As for the repair tool, I'll see about making a stand-alone version and get all the final pieces in place for it to work (it's still incomplete, so there will probably be some manual steps required, such as downloading and such). If the corrupted file isn't too much of a hassle for you to upload, then it would be very handy for me to get a copy.

Thanks for the help, gang!

Uploading it isn't an issue. Uploading ALL of the PAK files is... We just have to figure out which one is corrupt so I can send you the correct file.

#22 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostSoulgorger, on 30 October 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Uploading it isn't an issue. Uploading ALL of the PAK files is... We just have to figure out which one is corrupt so I can send you the correct file.

Understood and agreed. I wouldn't want you to go through that much trouble. But I noticed in one of your previous posts that your crash is on loading into a map. Is that correct? If so, then it's probably one of the level-specific pak files that's got some corruption. If you have 7-zip or WinRAR to test the archives, it shouldn't be too hard to track down the problem pak. Especially if you know which level it's trying to load when you crash. It could be either the level.pak file (contained in the Game\Levels\* folders) or one of the _ig.pak files in the root Game folder. If you can nail down the file that's causing trouble, I can provide you with a link to download a fresh copy.

#23 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Just to quickly repeat how to test the pak files: with 7-zip installed, all you need to do is right-click the file, go to the 7-zip sub-menu, and hit "test archive". With WinRAR installed, you'll have to open the pak file with WinRAR and click the "Test" button along the top of the window. If you don't have either yet, then 7-zip is recommended because it's a bit faster since you don't have to open the files in the application, you can just use the shell (ie. right-clicking in Windows Explorer).

#24 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 30 October 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Understood and agreed. I wouldn't want you to go through that much trouble. But I noticed in one of your previous posts that your crash is on loading into a map. Is that correct? If so, then it's probably one of the level-specific pak files that's got some corruption. If you have 7-zip or WinRAR to test the archives, it shouldn't be too hard to track down the problem pak. Especially if you know which level it's trying to load when you crash. It could be either the level.pak file (contained in the Game\Levels\* folders) or one of the _ig.pak files in the root Game folder. If you can nail down the file that's causing trouble, I can provide you with a link to download a fresh copy.

I thought it might be the frozen map, however, I won't swear that I've not played that map since the patch. I will do some gaming tonight with the AVS turned off, and ask the guys what map they're in if I crash. WIth any luck, we can confine it to a single map. But, how do we know it's ONLY the map file?

#25 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostSoulgorger, on 30 October 2012 - 12:52 PM, said:

I thought it might be the frozen map, however, I won't swear that I've not played that map since the patch. I will do some gaming tonight with the AVS turned off, and ask the guys what map they're in if I crash. WIth any luck, we can confine it to a single map. But, how do we know it's ONLY the map file?

We don't, exactly. But another user just reported that there was a corruption issue with his Frozen City pak file. So, that's not enough evidence to say that it's the only file that's got corruption, but it is enough to say that at least that file has the potential to become corrupted. Of course, like I said, the levels have two components - the level.pak file and the *_ig.pak file, either one of which could actually have the corruption.

#26 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Update: much easier way to test all pak files using 7-zip:

Navigate to your game's root folder in Windows Explorer (the one that contains Game, Bin32, Engine, etc.). In the search panel in the upper-right, enter "*.pak". Once the search completes, select all the files, right-click, go to the 7-zip submenu and hit "Test archive". It'll test all the pak files at once, saving you the time of doing each individually.

#27 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Roger. Will be leaving work shortly, stuffing food in pie hole, and getting to work on this.

#28 Jooky SeaCpt

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Krist,

I use the free version of Avast!

#29 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostSoulgorger, on 30 October 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

Roger. Will be leaving work shortly, stuffing food in pie hole, and getting to work on this.

Awesome, can't thank you enough for that. I've been reinstalling the game all day with no luck. By which, I mean, that it's patching up successfully, which, in this case is bad. Gotta love opposite day!

(Sigh....)

Ok, another question to toss out - custom temp directory or default?

#30 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 30 October 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Awesome, can't thank you enough for that. I've been reinstalling the game all day with no luck. By which, I mean, that it's patching up successfully, which, in this case is bad. Gotta love opposite day!

(Sigh....)

Ok, another question to toss out - custom temp directory or default?

Custom directory. I have a OCZ Vertex 90GB SSD for my OS, and I use a Hitachi 3GB HDD for my "stuff". The Hitachi is D: drive, and MWO is installed at D:/Mechwarrior Online

#31 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

I just had 7-Zip test the entire game folder. 24 Folders, 775 files, no errors.

#32 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just tried to play a match, and it was River City on the elevated side. Crashed on first load out with Avast disabled until reboot.

#33 Tacojoemeru

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hmm, unlike the others, I do not use Avast. I do have Malwarebytes and its protection suite, but no Avast. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit although I think I tried running the launcher through compatibility mode this morning when it was updating. Default installation location.

I got done re-installing the game again earlier and if anything it seems I've got even more corrupt files. :/
7zip says these pack files are corrupt:
Animations
Objects.pak
Gamedata.pak
ForestColony_ig.pak
Rivercity_ig.pak

The objects.pak link you provided gave me a clean copy, so there's that.

Edited by Tacojoemeru, 30 October 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#34 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostSoulgorger, on 30 October 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Custom directory. I have a OCZ Vertex 90GB SSD for my OS, and I use a Hitachi 3GB HDD for my "stuff". The Hitachi is D: drive, and MWO is installed at D:/Mechwarrior Online

That's good info, but in this case I'm referring to the temporary download folder (it's that dialog box that pops up the first time you run the game/patcher after installing). I'm starting to suspect that the default path may be just on the line of being too long, and just a couple of filenames push past this point and cause corruption. Windows has a maximum length for paths, so I might just change or relocate the default temp folder to a shorter path.

One way to test this out is to specify a custom temp folder when you do your reinstall. If you set it to the same folder as the game there won't be any conflicts or anything to worry about, so that's actually a good choice if you're unsure.

#35 Tacojoemeru

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Oh hey, after replacing the Objects.pak I'm finally able to make it to the actual game.

And I did use the default temp files path, because well, it was default.

#36 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostTacojoemeru, on 30 October 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Oh hey, after replacing the Objects.pak I'm finally able to make it to the actual game.

And I did use the default temp files path, because well, it was default.

Lol, no one can blame you for that. It's my fault for not noticing that the assets were getting increasingly deeper paths. I can't say for sure that this is the root of all evil here, but it can't be helping.

Glad to hear that you made it into the game. Now, I just have to help everyone else...

#37 Tacojoemeru

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I

View PostKrist Smith, on 30 October 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Lol, no one can blame you for that. It's my fault for not noticing that the assets were getting increasingly deeper paths. I can't say for sure that this is the root of all evil here, but it can't be helping.

Glad to hear that you made it into the game. Now, I just have to help everyone else...

I don't seem to be out of the woods just yet. Tried starting a match and got the same error, with a different number of bytes. The map was called Frozen City and on the second try I did get into a match on the same level and make it through alive.

Edited by Tacojoemeru, 30 October 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#38 Soulgorger

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 30 October 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

That's good info, but in this case I'm referring to the temporary download folder (it's that dialog box that pops up the first time you run the game/patcher after installing). I'm starting to suspect that the default path may be just on the line of being too long, and just a couple of filenames push past this point and cause corruption. Windows has a maximum length for paths, so I might just change or relocate the default temp folder to a shorter path.

One way to test this out is to specify a custom temp folder when you do your reinstall. If you set it to the same folder as the game there won't be any conflicts or anything to worry about, so that's actually a good choice if you're unsure.

Sorry for being "thick" but I'm still unsure as to what you're talking about. My download directory is D:/downloads, which is where I downloaded the installer file (9.7mb). I did, however, find that I only had .net 4.0, not 4.5. So that's now updated. The only Windows updates now available are the language packs, and the Bing desktop.

*edit*... Oh, just found that box... c:\users\(myname)\Appdata\local\temp\mechwarrioronline

Going to start the installer now with Avast disabled. Still puzzled at the File Read (FRead) error when 7-zip didn't file anything corrupt.

Something else worth mentioning... I use Google Chrome as my default browser, with Firefox as secondary. I rarely touch IE.

Edited by Soulgorger, 30 October 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#39 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostSoulgorger, on 30 October 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Sorry for being "thick" but I'm still unsure as to what you're talking about. My download directory is D:/downloads, which is where I downloaded the installer file (9.7mb). I did, however, find that I only had .net 4.0, not 4.5. So that's now updated. The only Windows updates now available are the language packs, and the Bing desktop. *edit*... Oh, just found that box... c:\users\(myname)\Appdata\local\temp\mechwarrioronline Going to start the installer now with Avast disabled. Still puzzled at the File Read (FRead) error when 7-zip didn't file anything corrupt. Something else worth mentioning... I use Google Chrome as my default browser, with Firefox as secondary. I rarely touch IE.

No need to apologize, it's actually needlessly complicated. Well, not quite needless, but I could have simplified things a bit, I think.

I share your confusion about the FRead problem with no corruption. As far as I know, that's completely new.

As for the Chrome thing, it is very good to know that (and I should probably spread the question out to other users about the browser used to download the installer). I don't think it's related, but I obviously don't know everything, so I may very well be wrong. I have seen some users have trouble launching the installer after downloading it in Chrome, but that's a separate issue altogether. I personally only use IE when I'm working with my fresh-install VMs (just cause it's typically a waste of time to change the browser when I'm just gonna roll everything back in a couple of days). And even then I usually do a lot of swearing at it. :D

#40 Captain Greene

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

Just to comment on the Avast issue.
I use Microsoft Security Essentials so no Avast installed on my system.
I should have posted up a couple specs when I started this thread, sorry.

My Sys:

Intel i5
GTX470
Win7 64bit SP1
Microsoft Security Essentials
Internet Explorer 9
Default directory install

Originally after the patch I had broken files using 7Zip in 2 of the Paks. I DLd clean copies of those 2 broken Paks, replaced them and then was able to successfully complete 1 game and upon launching into a 2nd game crashed again. This time 7Zip found this error in Objects:

0 CRC Failed in 'Objects\mechs\awesome\body\awesome_variant_damage_ddn.dds'. File is broken.

One interesting thing to note is the 2 broken Paks after the initial downlaod were not in the Objects Pak. They were in the Animations and Bumper Paks I believe, the info was in the old thread. The Objects fault only showed after playing the one game.

Let me know if you need more info.

Edited by Captain Greene, 30 October 2012 - 05:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users