• 153 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, England

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:24 AM

Name: Alex Miller
Callsign Nickname:Wrecker
Date of Birth/Age: born 3010
Current Mech: none
House Affiliation: none but if pushed Free Worlds League
Military History: no Military history but has piloted industrial mechs since he was 14

Physical Description: Alex is 6ft 1 and well built, he has black hair blue eyes and a thick stubble
Open Background: Alex lived most of his life working in a factory in the periphery, he left school at 13 to start work, at 14 he was trained by his foreman how to use an industrial mech, it was here he fell in love with mechs and wanted to be a Mechwarrior. At the age of 20 his mother and father died in a pirate raid. After this he had no ties left to the planet, he sold his parents house and got on the 1st jumpship to Solaris. He spent a year going between auction houses trying to buy a mech but everything was just out of his reach, he has 500,000C-Bills left.

Deep Background: The reason he is named Wrecker is because at 15 he rammed his industrial mech through a wall destroying part of the building, his foreman covered for him saying it was an unavoidable accident.

Edited by Sloth901, 04 April 2012 - 04:25 AM.

#22 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

First off guys, THANKS! We're getting some good characters here, but you're making me work. :P

Secondly Please PLEASE don't post in main thread until you've been "approved" by Thom or I. :)

For instance Aedris and Rogue are totally approved by both Thom and I so they're cleared to post in the main thread.

So on to the next batch of questions and characters. :)

Player: Death Blossum

Callsign: TINT
Date of Birth/Age: 38
Current Mech: Centurion called 'The Mac' (cause it just works and is shiny). Desperately needed armor repairs with no autocannon rounds.

A good medium mech and I like that you are planning to beg borrow and steal to get it working again. (Per your later post)
I also look forward to hearing why you're called TINT. :)

Sounds like Thom approves too so lets make it official (especially since you already posted you naughty boy you) and approve you.

APPROVED!

Next up: Thom.

B) Approved! :lol:

Moving right along: Kevin Kirov

Current Mech: Crab CRB-20 (SL-Downgrade)

Good call on size and you are SO CLOSE to the right era, but I'm going to have to ask you to pick again. Three reasons, the first is the Crab is a rare mech (only a 1000 making it into the FIRST succesion war let alone surviving to the 4th. 2nd, while new ones are made and make it out into the wild in the downgrade you chose (good choice BTW) we're in 3031 and per Sarna:

CRB-20 - The CRB-20 is a downgrade of the CRB-27 Crab that was given to the DCMS in preparation for the War of 3039 by ComStar as part of Operation Rosebud.

Which brings up that last bit. You're Lyran, no stealing the Draconis Combine's stuff like that. :P

Deep Background: Loki agent for the Lyran Intelligence Corps (http://www.sarna.net...elligence_Corps) Haunted by the murders other things he had to do in the FRR durring the 4th Succession War and just prior. Drinks to hide it.

My only question here is, are you still active? My reading of the Lyran system is you are ALWAYS an agent until you're dead. And even then. :)

Conclusion: PENDING. Awaiting Modifications

Next up: Charles Martel
Wow, nothing really to say but I'm looking forward to seeing how you play him! ^_^

APPROVED!

#23 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 03 April 2012 - 11:29 PM, said:

I read through the full list of mediums available, apart from the Shadow Hawk, none of them jumped out at me. Since the Shadow Hawk is quite rare and filled with Lostech, I'll just stick with the Urbie in lieu of the Jaeger if that's okay?

The Shadow Hawk is EXTREMELY common. It's not rare or full of lostech if you stick to the base models.

• SHD-2K - The -2K Shadow Hawk dramatically overhauls the chassis by replacing all original armaments, save the LRM-5, with a Donal PPC and extra heat sinks. This House Kurita specialty became one of the deadliest units of the Succession Wars.[4] BV (1.0) = 1,018, BV (2.0) = 1,147[4][5]
  • SHD-2D - The -2D looks to increase the close range capabilities of the Shadow Hawk at great cost to its armor. The -2D reduces the armor protection by five tons and adds a second SRM-2 launcher and an additional Medium Laser. BV (1.0) = 765, BV (2.0) = 899[6]

Of course the base SHD-2H version is very basic as well. It IS a 3025 base mech from the original Box after all. :)
Also I'm going to be using it as my mech so of course you can have one. :)

As for the foreign laguange thing most of the time it seems to be used as explatives and the like but I have no qualms using {these brackets} for it. :)

#24 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:25 AM

Next Victim Player: Sloth!

So let me start by saying I like your simple but effective background. He sounds like a very grounded character but at the same time "a boy with a dream." Good to go.

A half Million C-bills? I'm sure he can RENT (thank you old school Mechwarrior/Battletech PC games) a mech to get his start, but I'm sure that might come up in the game as an option. :)

My opinion? APPROVED! :)

#25 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

I'm not posting a character or anything, but I didn't see a better place to put this. I just wanted to say that I deeply enjoyed reading The Windbourne Raven and all the RPing you guys did! I'm looking forward to this new RP adventure!

#26 Scarlett Avignon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Name: Colvin Avignon

Callsign: Coyote

Date of Birth/Age: January 16th, 2987 / 44

Current Mech: Phoenix Hawk PXH-1, Warhammer WHM-6R

House Affiliation: House Davion

Military History:
3010 - Graduated NAIS College of Military Sciences.
3010 - Comissioned Leftenant in the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. Assigned to the 10th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT.
3014 - Promoted Captain.
3020 - Promoted Major assigned aide-de-camp Colonel S. Tyson, First Davion Guard RCT.
3031 - Temporary Assigned Duty Black Hills, Solaris; research team.

Physical Description:
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 92 kg
Auburn hair kept to military specification with hazel eyes.

Open Background:
Colvin Avignon was born on the planet Belldonna to Jean Avignon in January of 2987. His mother was CEO of Avignon Technologies, a navigation satellite manufacturing firm owned by the family for four generations. She also occupied the family's permanent leftenant's commission in the Planetary Militia.

Colvin attended the NAIS War College on a grant to train militia officers, Colvin graduated 6th in a class of 286, high enough to get the attention of AFFS brass. On his graduation, he accepted a commission in the 10th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT. This caused complications back on Belladonna as his family still held the commisionn with the Militia. His mother retained the posting until 3015 when she retired and formally returned the families commission papers.

Leftenant Avignon reported to the 10th in December of 3010. His battalion left in March of 3011 for training maneuvers on the Kurita boarder based out of the planet Tallmadge. They spent several years unoffically lending support to the defending militias against border pirates. It was often noted at the time that he performed above average in engagements, a solid pilot with just the hint of recklessness needed for command. This eventually lead to his promotion to Company Captain in July 3014 after the retirement of Captain Lovell.

In 3019 he was in command of a company on training maneuvers during a boarder raid. Making use of textbook maneuvers, they successfully held the enemy at bay for two weeks. This gave the rest of their battalion, which had just arrived in system, time to make landing and force the Kuritians off planet. His official record, as noted by Martial Simon Davion, states, "While his choice of tactics may not be inspired, his sense of timing was truly exceptional." For this performance, he was promoted to major. Colonel Tyson pushed for his transfer to the Brigade of Guards where he has served as Tyson's XO ever since. As commander of the regimental guard lance, he is entitled to make use of an ancient Warhammer belonging to the regiment while on duty.

Major Avignon is often sited as a success story by the supporters of the Militia Officer Grant Program. This program is currently under the scrutiny of the Prince's budget office, and a officers like him are being leaned on heavily but proponents of the program.

Currently on temporary assignment as military atache to the team leader of a research project being conducted by the NAIS, Major Avignon is stationed in the Black Hills AFFS recruitment station. The official subject matter of the project is small unit combat tactics of the Solaris Arenas.

Deep Background:
Major Avignon is known as a well-organized, thoughtful commander. Those closer to him know that he is prone to occasionally acting a bit too hastily. Also, having come from a working class family, though a highly regarded one, in his youth he was rather sensitive to his lower cultural status. Since his tranfer to the First, this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but it's unclear if he's addressed the issue, or if he simply has learned to repress his reaction.
The Phoenix Hawk he pilots, "Daphne" was given to his family as a gift by Alexander Davion himself.

Edited by Franklen Avignon, 04 April 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#27 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

I think I'll stick with the Urbanmech anyway, it fits the feel of the character more. I don't know how I came up with the idea of the Shadow Hawk being rare if it's so common, I must have misread something!

#28 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

View PostRogueSpear, on 04 April 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

I think I'll stick with the Urbanmech anyway, it fits the feel of the character more. I don't know how I came up with the idea of the Shadow Hawk being rare if it's so common, I must have misread something!

Well it IS one of the unseen. Which is complicated for us in real life, but as far as story is concerned they are as common as all get out. :)

The Urbie is quite cool though so good to know you're going with it. :)

Edited by Gozer, 04 April 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#29 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Okay who's next? Ah, Franklen Avignon!

View PostFranklen Avignon, on 04 April 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Name: Colvin Avignon

Callsign: Coyote

Date of Birth/Age: January 16th, 2987 / 44

Current Mech: Phoenix Hawk PXH-1, Warhammer WHM-6R

At first blush I was like, WTH?!? Then I read your background and I calmed down. Warn me next time with like an Asterix or something. :)

House Affiliation: House Davion

Military History:
3010 - Graduated NAIS College of Military Sciences.
3010 - Comissioned Leftenant in the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns. Assigned to the 10th Deneb Light Cavalry RCT.
3014 - Promoted Captain.
3020 - Promoted Major assigned aide-de-camp Colonel S. Tyson, First Davion Guard RCT.
3031 - Temporary Assigned Duty Black Hills, Solaris; research team.

Nice, someone was thinking this over. :)

As commander of the regimental guard lance, he is entitled to make use of an ancient Warhammer belonging to the regiment while on duty.

See, this one line made it all better. A very nice way of giving you "access" to a big mech without giving you the big mech. *Applauds*

Major Avignon is often sited as a success story by the supporters of the Militia Officer Grant Program. This program is currently under the scrutiny of the Prince's budget office, and a officers like him are being leaned on heavily but proponents of the program.

Currently on temporary assignment as military atache to the team leader of a research project being conducted by the NAIS, Major Avignon is stationed in the Black Hills AFFS recruitment station. The official subject matter of the project is small unit combat tactics of the Solaris Arenas.

So this is my only question, why is such a cool guy doing such a low level assignment? If you don't want everyone to know more about your mission please PM Thom and Me and we can give our yay or nay.

PENDING! Awaiting more info.

#30 Karel Spaten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHallam

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

Name: Karel Spaten
Callsign: Jack of Spades
Date of Birth/Age: 01.09.00 / 31 years old
Current Mech: VND-1R Vindicator
House Affiliation: Marik... sort of.
Military History: Military school, followed by the school of hard knocks, several years as a tech and pilot in various merc units

Physical Description: 6' 2", broad shoulders, wiry but muscular in the chest and arms. Close-cropped black hair, neat goatee beard. Brown eyes. Vaguely Eastern-European ethnicity. When not working, he dresses as smartly as a down-on-his-luck mechwarrior can manage, with an old and comfortable suit jacket thrown over casual attire. If expecting trouble, he will be carrying a collapsible baton and a holdout needler.

Open Background: Karel is clearly a Leaguer, with a broadly Marik Commonwealth accent. He's been an FWL ex-pat since his late teens, washing up on Galatea at the tender age of 17. First signing on as an astech with Lenoir's Legionnaires, he worked his way up to the role of ferry pilot and replacement mechwarrior in the unit after displaying his ability as a mechjockey in training exercises. In 3020 Karel was able to trade up from the Legionnaires into a full mechwarrior's position with the 58th Squadron, then looking for Dispossessed warriors to replace battle casualties. The 58th spent a few quiet years in the service of House Davion, serving as a garrison unit on the Combine/Outworlds/FedSuns border. Rotating back to Galatea in 3025, the unit signed on with the Lyran Commonwealth, becoming part of the Tamar Theater's strategic reserve, along with a number of other small mercenary commands. The 58th were used as a security detail/garrison unit during the 4th Succession War and were eventually caught on Dromini VI during Theodore Kurita's counter offensive in August 3029. The 58th (a combined arms battalion boasting only a company of 'mechs) were overwhelmed by ISF commandos over the course of a few days, the survivors going to ground while the planet was occupied by Combine troops. Over the next few weeks, the shattered 58th fought a guerilla campaign until extracted as part of the 10th Lyran Guards' raid at the end of the month. The Squadron had ceased to exist as a unit. Like the other survivors, Karel salvaged what equipment he could (including his battlemech) and went looking for work. Using compensation money from the LCAF, the mechwarrior was able to travel as far as Solaris. He now earns a living fighting in the bush leagues in the Reaches, working as a hired gun among teams missing a member. The money is poor, but years as a tech keep his repair costs low and provide additional revenue when times are hard.

Deep Background: Both of Spaten's parents were mechwarriors in the 3rd Marik Militia and 14-year old Karel was at military school on New Olympia when that unit declared for Anton Marik in the Civil War, fighting until it was destroyed under Gerald Marik's command in 3015. Although both Karl and Natalya Spaten were killed in the fighting on Park Place, Janos Marik's brutal purge afterwards (the New Delos treason trials) left no place in the Free Worlds League for their son. Rather than forever suffer the stigma of being "a traitor's son", Karel parted company with the FWL and turned his 16 years as an army brat into mercenary's resumé. While maintaining the customary merc cynicism about the Great Houses, Spaten still secretly holds a great affection for the League. If pressed, he would defend his parents' support of Duke Anton as "doing what they thought was right for the nation" though in truth he never knew their motivation for joining the revolt. His real ire is reserved for Maximilian Liao (for having engineered the war) and Janos Marik (for his actions after it). If another, peacemaking, Marik came to the fore, they would likely have Karel's support.

#31 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Wow so many entries... next up Karel Spaten!

View PostKarel Spaten, on 04 April 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

Current Mech: VND-1R Vindicator

YAY! A default mech! YAY! APPROVED! :)

As for the rest of the character I like the total background with lots of ups and downs. I'll let Thom make final approval but you are Approved by me. :)

#32 Karel Spaten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHallam

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Should I wait for Thom, or can I post in the other thread?

View PostGozer, on 04 April 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

YAY! A default mech! YAY! APPROVED! :)

Just so you know, I envision it as the flyingdebris version.

You've got to let me be a little bit difficult ... :)

#33 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Name: Dylan Wolf
Callsign: Wolf Lead
Date of Birth/Age: 2980
Current Mech: Has WHM - 6R en route, with current mech being a FLE - 15
House Affiliation: Wolf's Dragoons
Military History: Up to date, Dylan has only taken small contracts, usually against pirates, and other small time rabble. He just arrived from the Periphery, after his second assignment, left him with the two small boys, now called by the rest of the crew Draco, and Phiro. He had taken them in fulfulling the last wishes of the lone mech pilot that gave his life to help them on their last mission.
Physical Description: He is about 6'3" and built muscularly, and is extremely lean. He has a scar going across his right eye from an encounter with a Strana Mechty Wolf.
Open Background: Not much is known about Dylan, he has a perfect combat record against pirates, four kills and zero ejections. He is a broad thinker, and is extremely good on his feet, though he is only acquainted with small arms. He also doesn't trust people very easily at all. He is also as sociable as some of his men.
Deep Background: He considers himself a father of a sort to Draco, and is extremely protective of him. He also feels the same way towards Phiro, though Phiro tends to stay with the Aerospace Fighter engineers. Draco follows Dylan around like a son, and he also is starting to learn some of the inner workings of Battlemechs.
[[Am open to suggestions.]]

#34 Nor Azman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 217 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

[[classified Project Nimrod - a short story. ^_^ ]]

Name: Christina Elizabeth Martinez
Birth: 3004, Galatea (age 27)
Affiliation: Delian Guards
Mech: FS9-H Firestarter
Callsign: Thug Lady

Physical Description: 5’9, athletic build, slightly muscular. Seemed to be of mixed heritage. Tan skin. Black playful eyes, sensual lips and long black hair that falls all the way to the small of her back. Hair is usually braided. Wears polished black shoes, form hugging gentleman’s black pants, sleeveless white collar shirt with black tie hanging loose around unbuttoned collar. Wears a black jacket with Delian Guards’ crest stitched on its upper right sleeve. Wears a black bowler hat. Two pistols, concealed – one strapped to her right calf and another to the small of her back. Has a wakazashi long dagger tucked to her belt. Within the pockets of her jacket is a pair of silver brass knuckles.

Open Background: Upon accessing MercNet’s database, one can find Christina Martinez to have been a registered mercenary for the past seven years. It is noted that she had briefly joined a handful of mercenary units before settling to the Delian Guards where she has served for 5 years now. It is also mentioned in MercNet’s records that Christina is the daughter of Gracey ‘Bullfrog’ Martinez of Martinez Misfits.

Deep Background:

Her Story

Christina Elizabeth Martinez was born in the mercenary star of Galatea in the year 3004. Her father was Gracey 'Bullfrog' Martinez, leader of the 'Martinez Misfits' - a small mercenary unit consisting of one mech lance. Christina did not know her mother and since young learned not to ask. Her father's pained expression relayed to a young girl what adult words couldnt. So Christina was raised by her father Gracey and her three 'uncles' - the lance of Martinez Misfits. Life was tough growing up in mercenary star of Galatea but the Misfits held together. More importantly the informal family was happy and that was what counted. Young Christina would worry sometimes when the Misfits went off for jobs. But with the clear confidence of children, young Christina always believed that Martinez Misfits would return. My Papa is strong. My Uncles are strong too. They always come home.

The day came when Martinez Misfits did not come home. Christina's life ended then.

The representative of the Mercenary Review Board (MRB) knocked at the apartment door of the Misfits. Christina remembered. She was 10. The MRB representative sat down with Christina and her nanny and with a flat dead voice, gave the accounts of Martinez Misfits last mission.

Martinez Misfits was contracted by a multi-planetary corporation to safeguard its industrial compound located at the outskirts of the city of Rundvik in the planet of Vekfaren, which was located in Draconis Combine territory near the Periphery. It was supposed to be a short term security duty contract.

During their guard tour, the city of Rundvik was attacked by periphery pirates in a slavers' raid. The local city garrison which comprised of only ground armour and infantry was quickly overwhelmed by the pirates company of battlemechs supported by their own ground forces. The city of Rundvik was left entirely at the mercy of the periphery pirates. And the pirates fully intended to offer a boon harvest to the slave markets.

Everyone knew the fate of civilians captured to be slaves in the Periphery. Uncharacteristic of a mercenary, Gracey 'Bullfrog' Martinez left the safety of the corporation industrial compound which was far from the fighting and lead his lance- the Misfits, against a company of pirate battlemechs. The hastily formed plan was to engage the pirate battlemechs which were at the heart of the city, then lure them away in a running battle to the city outskirts, giving the Rundvik civilians time to flee and for possible local reinforcements to arrive. The battle ensued from street to street, the lance of Martinez Misfits against the three lances of pirate battlemechs who were well versed in agility and speed warfare.

The Martinez Misfits were stubborn and true and they took out a number of pirate battlemechs. However one after another the Misfits fell until it was only Gracey ‘Bullfrog’ Martinez in his heavily damaged Thug. The rest of his lancemates were dead, their cockpits either shot through or stepped on. No quarters were asked nor given.

Gracey’s Thug had lost both its PPC arms and was virtually defenceless. However Gracey managed to lure the pirate battlemechs to the city’s outskirts at a warehouse storage area. After a quick bio-scan of the surroundings and confirming no civilians were present, Bullfrog did the only option that was left. Gracey, gravely wounded himself, last thoughts were on his daughter Christina and dearly prayed for her forgiveness. The damaged Thug self-destruct. Its suicide explosion took out five pirate battlemechs with it.

The pirates who remained were shaken. They had lost more then two-thirds of their company of battlemechs in what was supposed to be a quick and easy slavers raid. The pirates decided to cut their losses and began a full retreat. The population of Rundvik was saved from slavery, at the cost of Martinez Misfits existence.

Unfortunately the story didn’t end here. Stupid Legality had to raise its omnipresent head. Under the advice of their lawyers, the city council of Rundvik sued Martinez Misfits for damages incurred. The Misfits were unsanctioned and uncontracted by the city during the pirate’s raid. That the mercenaries wilfully endangered civilian lives (and may have cost lives if and when the investigations were completed) The Misfits also caused considerable damage to the city’s infrastructure during their running battle with the pirates. The Misfits were to be held responsible and all liabilities shall be claimed thereof. Also the multi-planetary corporation which had hired the Misfits in the first place began to sue the mercenaries for breach of contract. The Misfits had intentionally left their post of duty during a time of emergency, leaving the corporation’s industrial compound unguarded and exposed to known threats such as the pirates that were present. All assets belonging to Martinez Misfits were sized. Their bank accounts. Their properties such as the shared apartment. The mercenaries’ supplies and inventory. Everything was seized and liquidated. The city council and the corporation had a small legal battle in the division of the Misfits assets. Immediately afterwards, the city council and the corporation began suing each other, holding the other responsible for the mercenaries’ actions. The city council for having an inadequate garrison force to defend against pirates. The corporation for hiring Martinez Misfits in the first place. Wonder if the legal wrangling was worth it? Stupid Legality and its vast army of lawyers…

For Christina, aged 10, she had lost everything. Christina had lost her father, her ‘uncles’, her home. Christina had lost everything. The little girl was all alone.

The last unofficial member of Martinez Misfits, now destitute, became an unwanted vagabond, wandering from foster families to orphanages to half-way homes. Eventually Christina dropped from the inadequate social nets of Galatea altogether, and fell into bad company. Christina would find herself eventually being sold off to the local brothels. Christina was 15.

The now young woman Christina was… abused daily in the brothels. To forget where she was, what she was, who she was, Christina began to lose herself in drugs and alcohol. Two years Christina crawled unconcerned down that spiralling road to being yet another jane. Christina did not care. But someone else did.

One night that man came. An old black man walked into the brothels. He was well dressed, trim and proper. He wore a creaseless black safari suit, a black bowler hat and polished black shoes. The old man went and sat at the corner of the furthest table, hidden in shadow.

Zombie-like, Christina went to newest customer. On her knees, Christina offered her services, her dirty rag dress fell to the floor. Her naked body submitting to abuse. The old black man was not interested in Christina’s body. The old man’s eyes looked deeply into hers. The man’s eyes were sheer fire and they burned through Christina’s numb exterior, through the fog of her despair and into her soul.

“I can help mend your wings Little Sparrow, but only if you choose to.”

Whatever dying spark within Christina ignited, giving strength to her lead-weight arms, hands to reach out… The old man held Christina’s outreached hands firmly into his.

The old black man seemed to have the intention of simply walking out of the brothel with private property in hand. When the criminal muscles at the door and lobby realised this, they had to sincerely disagree. Without looking back, the old man apologized and let go of Christina’s hand. Then the old black man, wearing creaseless black safari suit, black bowler hat and black polished shoes, simply… danced… gracefully cutting down the gathered gangsters and goons with a wakazashi long dagger. Blood splashed onto the brothel walls almost in an aesthetic way. When all the criminals were killed, the old man, untouched, wiped his dagger clean against the nearest dead gangster before sheathing his short blade, again concealed.

The old man held Christina’s hand and they both left the brothels. The old man never let go of Christina’s hand again that night.

For the next three years, Christina followed this man, her saviour, her guardian, her sensei. The man gave no name and Christina only referred to him as ‘Old Man’. In the three years, the two travelled the length of Galatea. Passing cities big and small and through the deserts in between. They never stayed at one place for more then a day or two. Always moving. Christina felt Old Man was searching for something as much as he was running away from someone. Old Man never did say. He kept his secrets to himself.

During their journey, Old Man began to teach the 17 year old Christina the ways of the martial arts, in order to ‘focus her mind’ and to ‘mend her spirit’. For her studies, Old Man began to teach Christina the theories of battlemech piloting. With rough props, narrative descriptions, and visualization techniques, and using role play for situations and simulations, Old Man began to open Christina to the ways of the mechwarrior.

The two, Master and Student, lived a meagre fare, whether in the streets of the cities or on the dunes of the deserts. Christina had a feeling however that Old Man was never want for money. Whenever they were so desperate, Old Man would always have enough c-bills in hand. And they always had a real meal on Christina’s three birthdays. It was as if frugal living was part of her training as well.

Then out of the blue, Old Man decided to teach Christina traditional dance, of all things, reflecting that her training was too hard. Christina protested in her usual tom-boyish way.

"A balanced person is both hard and soft. Little Sparrow, I would like you to be a balanced person rather then unbalanced." Old Man giving a rare joke.

So Christina learned tradition dance of House Kurita. During day Christina would train in the martial arts and study the theories of mech piloting. During night, whether in the back alleys where scattered homeless people would play audience, or on the cool sands of the empty deserts, Old Man would sit cross-legged and clap his hand to his lap for rhythm. With a voice of forlorn, Old Man would sing in japanese, songs of longing and past memories as Christina begins her steps to the Dance of Cherry Blossoms under starlight.

Christina did asked once why did she had to learn all these - martial arts, theories of mech piloting, traditional dance other then to 'mend her spirit'. Surely there was an easier way. Old Man looked at Christina as if considering an obvious question.

"You are a child of a warrior are you not? Are you then underserving of these skills?"

Christina never asked that question again and committed herself to her sensei's guidance.

Christina's 'mending' as Old Man put it was not easy. In truth it was very difficult. There were... lapses during those three years. The addiction to drink and drugs was in her blood. Will always be in her blood. But even through those lapses, Old Man never gave up Christina and so Christina never gave up on herself.

Time went by.

It was a few weeks after Christina's 20th birthday. Three years since Old Man walked into the brothels and held her hand leading Christina out. They were now at the outskirts of yet another city. It was late evening. Christina had scavenged a can of beans from a dumpster, still in good condition. Christina was eager to share dinner with sensei. The two had taken shelter in an abandoned warehouse. Part of its roof was missing and you could see the stars waking up.

Christina found Old Man, standing, looking up at the sky. As ever, he was immaculate, wearing his creaseless black safari suit, black bowler hat and polished black shoes. Christina always suspected Old Man would go about the mundane task of self grooming when she was asleep, as he watched over her. Old Man held that pocket watch of his again. An item more scratches and dents that told of time. A sense of foreboding fell on Christina. Christina approached, her hands outstretched with a can of beans, wanting only to share.

"Sensei, I found dinner."

Old Man turned and looked at Christina, sadness in his eyes. Christina's heart was caught in her throat. Her fears rushing to mind. Christina tried to push them away...

"It is time for me to leave." Old Man said with sorrow, affirming her fears.

Christina pushed back tears. "Of course I will come with you..." Christina still held her hands outstretched, with her can of beans in offering.

Old Man remained silent, sad, looking at Christina as if etching her face to his memory for the last time.

I will not cry...

"Sensei, I..."

Old Man shifted the weight of his balance ever so subtly. A dangerous sign. Christina placed the can of beans on the floor. This was going to be one of those tests, if not the final test. After three years of constant training, Christina would show Old Man that she was strong. She had become strong. She was his best pupil by far. Old Man had admitted that.

Christina charged, her fists clenched, in determined fury. Open palmed, Old Man calmly received Christina's fire into his dance. Anyone who would have been at that abandoned warehouse on that night would have witness a deft display of martial arts.

Christina had become stronger. She was Old Man's best pupil and he was proud of her. Old Man proceeded to give Christina a resounding beating.

When it was over, Old Man tenderly carried Christina to the part of the warehouse where it was still sheltered but near enough for her to see the stars. Old Man removed his safari jacket and used it as blanket for his Little Sparrow. He fondly placed his bowler hat on his pupil's head to give Christina shade. Christina was crying.

Christina looked up at Old Man, his dragon body tattoo was aflame on his ebony skin. Christina's nerves were shot, her body bruised. She was unable to move. She was unable to stop Old Man from leaving. Christina cried unashamed.

This time it was Old Man who knelt before Christina, in the tradition Japanese way. He bowed his head and from his belt, he presented Christina his wakazashi long dagger. Old Man unsheathed it to display the polish blade in the moonlight then sheathed it back and lay on Christina’s lap. Christina knew little of traditions but she understood the significance of this Ceremony. It was a bequeathing. Numb and bruised as Christina was, she moved her hand and gripped fiercely her new weapon. Christina bowed her head, profoundly grateful. Old Man came closer. For the first time, his voice spoke his age.

“Your wings are mended now Little Sparrow. You are free. It is time you choose your own way, my Christina Elizabeth Martinez.”

With that, Old Man kissed Christina lovingly on her lips. It was goodbye. Old Man left Christina there, at that abandoned warehouse, propped up against the side of a building that still had shelter over but near enough to see the stars. Christina would never see Old Man again.

Even when feeling did return to Christina’s body, she remained unmoved. Her heart weighed her down to the spot. Christina was alone again. By herself with no one. An emptiness laid on her, and held her close, and will never let her go. Still, life urged Christina on. The need to eat, to live, made Christina moved from the spot where Old Man bid her farewell. Christina wore Old Man’s safari jacket, Old Man’s bowler hat, and respectfully tucked her wazakashi long dagger to her belt. Christina ate the can of beans on her own, and went. She was determined to make her own way in the world.

Personality, Personal Views and Sentiments

Like most who were born on the star of Galatea, Christina found herself in the mercenary trade. Offering her skills as a mudslugger infantry, Christina joined a few merc units in the beginning until she found her place with a unit whose ideals matched her own. Christina joined the Delian Guards Mercenary Corps.

Christina will always keep her thoughts on her father and her ‘uncles’- Martinez Misfits’ decision to protect Rundvik to herself. But from that example Christina believed the mercenary calling to be a noble one. It will be mercenaries, unbiased and unaffiliated, that shall help pave the way to a better Inner Sphere. Christina’s belief echoed in the ideals of the Delian Guards, represented by its unit crest – the serpent of truth guarding the star of tomorrow.

Because of Christina’s thoughts on the role of a mercenary, she remains steadfast neutral in her political views, neither supporting nor condemning any Great House.

When Christina learnt she could never have children, because of her past, Christina plunged herself fully to her work and to the care of her comrades. Though outwardly she can be stern at times, inwardly Christina is protective over the people she works with and is very sensitive when her friends-in-arms die. It is an aspect of the mercenary trade that Christina could never steel herself against.

It is the quiet that Christina fears. Away from others, in that peace, the urge… the addiction…would nudge at her, sometimes. A running battle with no end. Sometimes in the dark, Christina wonders if she is worthy of any noble calling at all, damaged goods as she sees herself. The self-doubt and the self-loathing can eat at her without a sound.

Christina can actually be very playful to those around her, as if to counterbalance the shadows within her.

Inspite of the inner battles inside Christina, she is a strong friend and a loyal comrade to have beside.

Fun Facts: Christina’s callsign ‘Thug Lady’ is in tribute to her father and his battlemech, and to a battlemech that Christina is determined to pilot one day.

Fun Facts: Christina named her current Firestarter battlemech, “Sunflower”, in whim, referring to the small sunflower tattoo she has on her inner left thigh.

Fun Facts: Christina is secretly obsessed with ancient terra horror movies and always has a pair silver brass knuckles ready, just in case she has to beat up werewolves, vampires and demons.

[[Phew. Thus ends Project Nimrod! *does a jig*

The idea of character Chris pop when Thom said somewhere about roleplaying a Delian Guard from the previous RP thread Windborne Raven. The Delian Guards (all IP rights goes to Grafvitnir) at this point of time was truly a mercenary unit that was wholehearted dedicated to noble ideals. How they from this point of time 3031 would be involve in the sacking of Rundvik, 18 years later, is perhaps yet another untold story…

Thank you Lt Trevnor for your kind words. Some of us work long shifts and the RL gets at all of us. Encouraging words help a great deal in making the run feel worth it. :)

Um, Christina is of course the Thug Lady, future lance leader of the reinforced Delian Guards Heavy Lance of the Windborne Raven RP thread.

Oh, I will use the name ‘Chris’ and ‘Christina’ interchangeably, because I want to be whimsical. :)

Am dedicating character Chris to a real life Thug Lady – Lisa Marie Varon - a fine professional wrestler and a woman who puts her body and her heart in her work. Yeah.

Tribute to Lisa Marie Varon

Christina's Theme Song
]]

Edited by Nor Azman, 04 April 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#35 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

OKay who's next? Guardian Wolf?!? Well frack he's a vet I can't kick him out. ^_^

View Postguardian wolf, on 04 April 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Current Mech: Has WHM - 6R en route, with current mech being a FLE - 15

A flea? Cool. So you're pulling the "Lost in the mail" to cause you to not have it right now? OKay works for me. I love how everyone seems to have so many big mechs just waiting for them. :)

My question is, do you plan to explain WHY you're coming to Solaris in game or do you want to add it to your background?

Until then Approved! :)

#36 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Will explain in first post. As for the approval, thank you, I wanted to catch Draco in some of his early years as a young boy, he's about eight now, but is huge mother fer, kinda following my family's real life traits.

#37 Sloth901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 153 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, England

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Azman... Why are your posts so awesome :)

also Gozer did you get my PM?

#38 Trevnor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Thank you Azman! And another Amazingly awesome post by you! Also, I love your Firefly references, I'm proud to say that I get every single one :)

#39 Gozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Who's up next? Azman

*Tosses up hands in the air*

Like I can do anything but say:
APPROVED! :)

View PostSloth901, on 04 April 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

Azman... Why are your posts so awesome ^_^

also Gozer did you get my PM?

Sorry, missed it. Reply sent. :)

#40 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Name: Vilgot Voss
Callsign: Errant
Date of Birth/Age: 3002(Age 29)
Current Mech: Wolfhound/Shadowhawk/Wolverine/Hatchatman(Urban Operations) - (It felt a bit droll and strange for Voss to have a mech already in arriving to Solaris, perhaps a friendly employer can provide him with one. Any of the mentioned mechs would be nice. :) )
House Affiliation: None, but Voss holds a deep animosity towards the Draconis Combine due to the Fourth Succession War.
Military History:
3020 - Joined the LCAF/Started training as a mech pilot
3020(Late) - Assigned to the 1st Royal Guards
3023 - Honorably discharged from the 1st Royal Guards/LCAF
3023 - Joined Barett's Fusiliers
3028 - Participated in the Fourth Succession Wars w/ the Fusiliers
3030 - Offered Administrative leave from the Fusiliers to recover from combat fatigue
3031 - Travels to Solaris VII, hoping to find new employment

Physical Description: Vilgot is a short(~165cm) and light fellow(63 kg). His hair is a mess of blonde locks, that easily defeat any efforts to keep it under control. Blue eyes and pale skin, reflect what many have assumed to be a Rasalhaguian(Swedish) heritage, despite the fact that both his parents hail from the Lyran Commonwealth.

Voss wears a pair of well worn black jeans , a simple black cotton t-shirt, a MA-1 Flight Jacket(recreation based on the original model from the early 20th Century). He is often found wearing a pair of dark tea-shade sunglasses as well.

Notable equipment:
Nambu (auto pistol) looted from a dead DCMS officer.
Throwing Axe(one handed) for either throwing(surprise!) or CQC.
Voss carries an antique pipe used for smoking tobacco with him at all times and indulges in this habit whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Open Background:

Vilgot Voss was born in Tharkad City on the planet Tharkad located within the heart of the Lyran Commonwealth in 3002.

A lonely child born into a Lyrian merchant family of moderate means with connections to the LCAF, he enjoyed a comfortable upbringing. His parents invested heavily in his education and Voss was taught by some of the finest tutors that C-bills could buy. After completing his secondary education he chose not to assume control of the family business(arms sale/manufacturing), allowing his younger sister to replace him as the heir.

Instead Voss chose to join the LCAF, specifically the BattleMech Corps in 3020. During his ten months of initial training he showed an excellent aptitude for military tactics and mech piloting. He was also a remarkably quick learner, even in the highly competitive military forces. Soon after completing his advanced training he was offered several posts to various military academies Lyran Commonwealth and a promotion to an officer at the completion of any such educations.

Rather than accept these offers Voss politely declined, indicating a preference for starting his career as a common soldier. He spent three years in the 1st Royal Guards of the LCAF, eventually reaching the rank of Corporal. Assessments of his progress as a mech pilot were continually positive but Voss continue to stubbornly refuse any promotions which would mark him as an officer.

With the 1st Royal Guards he spent most of the three years on garrison duty, defending the Triad of the Lyran Commonwealth. Despite the droll nature of such posting constant drills(especially in regards to close range/urban mech combat), mock war, simulator training and parades ensured that the skills of the young Voss continued to develop.

Nevertheless Voss grew dissatisfied with the strict nature of military life. He was often described as an „irregular“ and was known to be a capable but problematic pilot. In 3023, he managed to receive an honorable discharge from the 1st Royal Guards and the LCAF.

In short order Voss was hired by the veteran mercenary company Barett's Fusiliers, who were more than happy to acquire a capable mech pilot who had been trained by some of the best in the Lyran Commonwealth. He spent the next years traveling across the Lyran Commonwealth with the Fusiliers being contracted for security work, border patorl and on occasion to quell civil unrest. Though already a veteran pilot the practical experience he gained would prove invaluable later on.

In 3028 with the outbreak of the Fourth Succesion War, Voss joined the rest of Barett's Fusiliers in support of the Lyran Commonwealth. They were engaged chiefly on the Combine Front and came to play an integral part in Operation Götterdämmerung. Throughout the war the mercenary company proved themselves to be a reliable and deadly force, inflicting heavy casualties to the Draconis Combine Military Soldiery. However their success did not come without losses.

Perhaps the finest moment of Barett's Fusiliers came when the 10th Lyran Guards(with support of Loki operatives) were aided by Voss' former unit the 1st Royal Guards and the Fusiliers themselves in a counterattack to stop the Kurita offensive which occurred late in the war. The offensive was stopped in its tracks and what followed was a short period of defensive positioning before the eventual end of the war.

However the success of the Fusiliers did not come without losses. By the cessation of hostilities the company retired to the heart of Lyran Commonwealth space with less than a third of their initial strength.

Attached is a brief summary of the combat operations of Barett's Fusiliers between 3028-3030:
*Sabik, the Fusiliers captured the planet of Sabik from the DCMS during the opening offensive of Operation Götterdämmerung.
*Sabik, DCMS counterattack the Fusiliers were caught off-guard and outnumbered, subsequently losing two thirds of their initial strength.
*La Blon, Operation Holdur, along with the 1st Royal Guards two companies of Barett's Fusiliers attacked the world of La Blon. Through a series of trapping maneuvers heavy casualties were inflected on the DCMS forces. In the end only a few DCMS lances managed to esacpe off world
*Dromini V1 Step 2, Operation: Contagion Barett's Fusiliers aided the 10th Lyran Guards in an attempt to capture Theodore Kurita.

Suffering from combat fatigue after two years of bloody fighting, Voss requested and was placed on administrative leave. His mech was left unrepairable at the final battle for Dromini V1 but it was sold for a profitable sum as salvage.

Left dispossessed and apparently still unprepared to return to his old mercenary company, Voss bought a one way ticket to Solaris VII, officially to seek out an old friend from his time with the 1st Royal Guards.

Deep Background:

Having lost most of his friends and colleagues in the Fourth Succession War, Voss is in many ways a broken man. During the 2nd battle of Sabik, the Fusiliers suffered the worst casualties in the history of the unit, losing all one third of their pilots. Out of the three lances deployed by his company, only Voss and three other pilots managed to return to company dropships and escape offworld.

Suffering from a severe case of survivors guilt Voss' mental health diminished significantly. He would often be plagued by visions of his dead friends and on occasion reported to even hold conversations with them. Reoccurring nightmares brought about by the bloody urban fighting led to an equally troublesome case of insomnia. Voss rarely sleeps and when he does he is known to sleep sitting, with the Nambu auto pistol he captured from a dead DCMS officer close at hand.

When his commanding officer, another veteran of the Fourth Succession War, discovered this truth he quickly and quietly sent Voss to the company shrinks.

Soon after Voss was placed on administrative leave, officially to recover from battle fatigue. In truth it was an act of kindness from the remaining Fusiliers, who knew all too well the horrors that had occured during the terrible years of fighting.

With the small amount of money he had saved dwindling Voss was faced with a number of choices. He knew that he was unable to face his old squadron, filled as it was with the ghosts of the past and similarly months of living as a civilian had revealed to him his inability to return to a peaceful life. Despairing and fearing inaction, Voss decided to journey to Solaris VII, hoping to find new employment and some way to forget his past.

The following is a bit of information that whilst not exactly secret, is something that Voss will be extremely uninterested in discussing:

Voss is not a man to romanticize his military service, he would be the first to offer that the worst moments of his life had been with Barett's Fusiliers. However, there is one lone source of pride in his life. An orphanage, Nelborg he helped to found on his home planet of Tharkad together with a friend in the Fusiliers some years before the start of the Fourth Succession War.

The name of this institution appear to have some significance to the mercenary as all of his mechs after the mid 3020s have shared the name of Nel. The name, judging from photographs is usualy painted in ancient Gothic letters near the cockpit of whatever mech Voss was using at the time.

Most of the money Voss has earned and continues to earn his spent on funding this orphanage. In addition during his time with the Fusiliers several of his colleagues donated money to the foundation, eventually calling it „Voss' War Tax.“ However, Voss was adamant that the source of the funding was strictly anonymous and as a result only a few members of Barett's Fusiliers are aware of who the founder of the orphanage is.

The only personal communications which Voss appears to receive and read are from Nelsborg. In his wallet he always carries a single picture of the orphanage and he is known to pin the very same picture to the dash of his mech when engaged on a contract.

Voss himself is not sure whether this act of kindness was genuine or merely an effort to silence a guilty conscience.

Pilot Assessment/History:
Voss is known to be utterly remorseless in combat. He has been shown willing to employ any and all tactics in order to achieve an assigned objective, regardless of casualties incurred or even civilian deaths.

His views of morality are ambiguous at best and in general Voss would be the first to state, „The world is not black and white. It is merely shades of grey.“

Voss also holds a deep and inherent hatred towards military courtesy, discipline(beyond that concerned with the efficency of a force) and ranks. Perhaps one of the main reasons why he found his place so quickly within the more informal world of mercnary companies.

Perhaps ironically, outside of combat Voss is a generally sympathetic and kind man; if a little eccentric. He is by nature a loner, preferring to spend his free time reading or smoking often in the presence of his mech.

Voss is an unorthodox pilot and attempts to fight aggressively regardless of how the situation in a battle devolves. Reading a book detailing the life of 19th century WWII pilot Nicky Barr, Voss was struck by the following quote, „"The Tomahawk and Kittyhawk were not considered by us to be top fighter aircraft. I decided early on that any deficiency either type had could be offset by unbridled aggression. I had done some boxing, and had beaten better opponents by simply going for them, and I decided to use this tactic in the air. It paid off." It profoundly effected the tactics that he would later choose to employ. He would forever afterwards consider mech combat not the struggle between two machines but rather a deep psychological battle between two humans, irregardless of what mechs they employed.

He is extremely calm under fire and deals adequately well with stress during combat, though in all cases he merely represses the fear he experiences in battle. During a mission he does not usually let his emotions get the better of him, but he has been known to suffer breakdowns or borderline psychosis after particularity strenuous fighting.

Voss began his career piloting a simple Wolfhound light mech, eventually he received assignments to heavier mechs where he would gain the majority of his combat experience. The Shadow Hawk, Wolverine and Hatchetman(for Urban operations) were all mechs he piloted during the Fourth Succession War. The brutal pace of combat resulting in several unrepairable mechs. He did however pilot a Orion heavy mech for a brief period during the final assault on DCMS territories by the LCAF forces; unfortunately it was written off due to extensive damage and simply sold for salvage.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I really wish there was a spoiler button, so one could hide the huge bodies of text. :)

Plenty of interesting characters so far as well.

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 04 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users