Stop Hazing and Start Raising...

91 replies to this topic

#41 Gristle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN. E. Kentucky

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

View Postrenahzor, on 02 November 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

It got at least a crap bandaid fix with tons more people abusing it, while it was completely ignored through everything that was said about the system in CB. ...This bandaid wont fix the problem. ...Move rewards to performance based primarily, including daily/weekly/rolling bonuses for accumulation of positive gameplay stats like 10 assists in a day = cbill bonus, and bonuses at 5,10,25,100,250,500 lifetime etc. ...

I think this is a great idea to encourage people to actually do the grind. This idea could be extended to other goals; kills, cap assists, wins, damage done, etc.

#42 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOver there. No. Over there.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm sorry, but if you don't know what "Alt+F4" does....then you shouldn't have a computer, let alone be on the internet.

I don't do this myself, but I find myself sorely tempted to start when I read something like this.

#43 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Not everyone who plays games has a high level of computer literacy.

#44 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Some PUG players are improving their skills by playing against premades. Some appear to realize the team win is more significant than damage dealt, and assists are more significant than kills. A kill is going to be awarded to somebody but that is seven others whose contribution goes unnoted. Yet it might have been the Hunchback's lasers that gave the Atlas enough time to place his kill shot.

I've run with a PUG I actually saluted (in text chat) when they performed admirably as a team, each fulfilling their role, coordinating their fire with one another: they were an impressive band of warriors who faced a premade an won on thier own merits. Yes I did my share too but I was running an optimized mech.

#45 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

This is a good thing.
I am hoping that newbs can learn from the more vet players and improve their game.

#46 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm on both sides of the fence on this topic. Yes we should be cool to each other, but we also need to grow a pair and accept friendly ribbing for what it is. Also the military has a LOOOOOONg list of practical joke like the Alt-4. They are tradition. Every soildier has been sent to get a left handed BFA, 50' of Shoreline and collect gas emissions from a Hum Vee. And this is a futuristic military simulation.

#47 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

I get what you are saying, I was in the military too, but it is one thing to be in a collective group you see face to face each day and it is another for people being dicks because they can hide behind the collective anonymity of the internet, and take advantage of the trusting nature of people.

#48 L A guns

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

God this isnt the military.......

#49 Time Lord

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well said, but keep in mind most people are crashing every few games. So disconnecting in game is not really a valid report option, just my thoughts.

#50 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

View PostL A guns, on 08 November 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

God this isnt the military.......
However it is a military Sim. So you have a large group of us salty dogs running around killing you. We razz our own much more than we razz our opponents.

View PostTaryys, on 08 November 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

I get what you are saying, I was in the military too, but it is one thing to be in a collective group you see face to face each day and it is another for people being dicks because they can hide behind the collective anonymity of the internet, and take advantage of the trusting nature of people.
That is the line, where does being a **** begin? What I find funny(if not hilarious) may make some people cry. I can give you an example if you want one.

#51 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yup. True. Game crashing and purposefully DCing and AFKing will have different profiles and player history.

View PostTime Lord, on 08 November 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Well said, but keep in mind most people are crashing every few games. So disconnecting in game is not really a valid report option, just my thoughts.

#52 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

This is a Mech sim and not a military sim.
There are things that are acceptable in a military arena that are not in the civilian world and vice verse.

You may run your outfit in a military fashion, but do not expect the rest of the world to do so.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 November 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

However it is a military Sim. So you have a large group of us salty dogs running around killing you. We razz our own much more than we razz our opponents.

That is the line, where does being a **** begin? What I find funny(if not hilarious) may make some people cry. I can give you an example if you want one.

#53 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

I feel you Taryys. I'd change the wording of "Purposeful" to "Unprovoked".

View Postrenahzor, on 02 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

The problem isn't banning people for breaking rules, its naming dying too quickly an exploit/TOS violation because you failed at creating a game that was more rewarding to play both in currency and fun terms, than it is to die quickly. Think of how utterly ridiculous that sounds for a second. What if in Counterstrike you got banned for dying within a minute or so of match start? Not just banned but steam account wiped because its a TOS violation. The whole idea of it is asinine.

Also, we can go round and round about what PGI has said "Open Beta" means to them, which is essentially "We're going farmville beta" to cover our **** from everything that is broken/unfinished, but still make some cash. However by ignoring industry standards you also subvert the expectations of consumers therein. There are no more data wipes, money spent is permanent, that is a product BEING SOLD AT RETAIL. They want people spending money on it *now* not at "hard launch" whenever they get around to it.

I've had 3 friends come try MWO with me since open beta, All of them played no more than 10 matches and said they might come back in 6 months. First impressions are hard to get back.

Hells yeah brah.

#54 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hmmm... very interesting...
Whether provoked or not, I am thinking is irrelevant, intentionally engaging in FF is wrong. Period.

View PostFreeride Forever, on 10 November 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

I feel you Taryys. I'd change the wording of "Purposeful" to "Unprovoked".

#55 Sulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I approve. An LRM with report function playload would do me wonders.

#56 BoldarBlood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostTaryys, on 02 November 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

You need to stop the following and if I catch anyone doing any of these I pledge to report every single one of you that I encounter, and I implore everyone else to do the same:

im sure they will remember your name from this thread and will teamkill you before the suicide :)

#57 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

I hope so! :)

View PostBoldarBlood, on 13 November 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

im sure they will remember your name from this thread and will teamkill you before the suicide :)

#58 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

got to me one of the best posts i've seen on this subject.
I have fraps running on every game and capture a screenshot and email the devs each time i see suicide farming or abusing new players.

#59 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

they need to get around to doing a rating system, so people will at be less likely to afk and tank their rating. at that point all we have to do in the community is to call anyone under X rating a useless noob so that it is undesirable to be in that state, and then the system will work!

#60 Taryys

• 2,685 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for doing your part!
I have not installed fraps yet. I really need to look into it.

Thanks!

View PostYoungbull1980, on 13 November 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

got to me one of the best posts i've seen on this subject.
I have fraps running on every game and capture a screenshot and email the devs each time i see suicide farming or abusing new players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users