Unlocking torso from waste

74 replies to this topic

#1 SprigganXV15

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:39 AM

Is there a way to unlock your torso from your lower body movement and have it only dictated by the mouse?

example: If i push A to turn my lower-body left, my view moves with my lower body. I want to unlock that, to where if i push A to turn my legs left my face continues to point forwards until my torso can not support the angle any more. This make piloting smoother and would have torso rotation speed play a factor in mech to mech combat.

Edited by SprigganXV15, 03 November 2012 - 07:25 PM.

#2 Wildedge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Spriggan, the turret/torso rotation (Separate from the lower body movement) with the mouse is a default game setting. Your game should have had that setting already established. If it does not, then I have no idea why.

#3 SprigganXV15

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostWildedge, on 03 November 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

Spriggan, the turret/torso rotation (Separate from the lower body movement) with the mouse is a default game setting. Your game should have had that setting already established. If it does not, then I have no idea why.

I dont think you quite understand what i was asking, ill give an example. If i push A to turn my lowerbody left, my view moves with my lower body. I want to unlock that, to where if i push A to turn my legs left my face continues to point forwards until my torso can not support the angle any more.

#4 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Yeah I've lobbied for torso control independent of mouse for a long time now, would making spreading them missiles hit a lot easier, or shielding with your arms.

#5 SprigganXV15

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostManDaisy, on 03 November 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

Yeah I've lobbied for torso control independent of mouse for a long time now, would making spreading them missiles hit a lot easier, or shielding with your arms.

Tank games have slimier features as this, it makes the driving skill more important, and makes aiming very slightly easier. It also makes torso rotation speed much more important because if you have to rotate 180, and you rotate slowly, good luck.

#6 Wildedge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

I understand now. It seems like common sense that this SHOULD BE AN OPTION.

#7 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

You are asking for strafing. Bipedal BattleMechs cannot strafe. Their hip joints are simply not flexible enough to allow this type of movement. You can, however, mimic strafing by turning left and/or right with the legs and compensating in the opposite direction with the mouse/joystick like the rest of us do.

If they ever put quadrupedal BattleMechs in the game, strafing might be one of the advantages they have over their bipedal cousins.

And torso twist speed (as well as left/right/up/down movement limits) already plays a big part in this game.

#8 Kalidar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

The movement being described has nothing to do with hip joint flexibility - and just to be clear: the range of left/right movement is not being requested to be extended beyond existing limits.

Rather, it's that the two forms of horizontal rotation (legs vs. cockpit view) can be already be offset manually to keep the current field of view (somewhat) stationary. All that is being requested is making this automatic up to the point of movement restriction, at which point the normal behaviour would be forced to kick in, and your view moves according to the leg rotation.

#9 Wildedge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Kalidar and Spriggan, it mades perfect sense after I thought about it. PapaKilo... try to look at what they are describing one more time.

Being able to do this is a "No Brainer". It would improve the Mech Piloting experience and options available. I would sign a petition for this. This isn't asking for a radical change or increase in range.

#10 SprigganXV15

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostKalidar, on 06 November 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Rather, it's that the two forms of horizontal rotation (legs vs. cockpit view) can be already be offset manually to keep the current field of view (somewhat) stationary. All that is being requested is making this automatic up to the point of movement restriction, at which point the normal behaviour would be forced to kick in, and your view moves according to the leg rotation.

Exactly this.

It also would make torso rotation speed and arm pivot management to another level.

Edited by SprigganXV15, 06 November 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#11 PapaKilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 774 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

What you're describing makes sense for a tank with a main gun semi-fixed to the turret and a single aim point. The turret can rotate through the full 360º with no problems while keeping the view locked onto a certain point or target.

It doesn't make sense for a humanoid war machine with a limited-rotation waist and non-fixed weaponry.

What exactly would this option accomplish?
How would you choose what to "look at"?
How would you lead the target for PPC/Gauss/AC/SRM shots if your aiming point is fixed to where you're looking?

I guess I just don't get why you would want to turn your 'Mech into a walking single-aim-point turret rather than the flexible war machine it was designed to be. Limiting yourself to the slow torso twist speed and limited up/down/left/right movement range would put you at a severe disadvantage that can easily be exploited.

But I suppose I'd support the option, if only because anyone using it would be an easy kill for anyone using the standard control scheme.

#12 Wildedge

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

This is so simple, and it would be fun. Hold down a button on your mouse or joystick. While you have it depressed, you can turn the Mech's legs anywhere you want, but the legs stop turning the Upper torso, until the the Legs turn far enough that the you hit the range limit of the upper torso, at which point it will be dragged along.

Example. I want to run left, but keep facing the Atlas ahead of me. I hold down the "torso/turret" unlock, and turn my mech left. My upper torso keeps facing the same direction. I move my targeting cross hairs a few millimeters onto my target and fire. Then I release (or switch off) the "torso/unlock) and my mech is back in torso turret lock. My upper torso is again controlled by my lower torso.

It may be argued that for this creates an autopilot affect to keep the torso facing in the same direction. I would counter argue that the only reason that the upper torso turns with the legs is because of some sort of lock between the two. Just let us "Unlock" so our upper turret can stay facing the direction we were already facing.

#13 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostWildedge, on 07 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

This is so simple, and it would be fun. Hold down a button on your mouse or joystick. While you have it depressed, you can turn the Mech's legs anywhere you want, but the legs stop turning the Upper torso, until the the Legs turn far enough that the you hit the range limit of the upper torso, at which point it will be dragged along.

Example. I want to run left, but keep facing the Atlas ahead of me. I hold down the "torso/turret" unlock, and turn my mech left. My upper torso keeps facing the same direction. I move my targeting cross hairs a few millimeters onto my target and fire. Then I release (or switch off) the "torso/unlock) and my mech is back in torso turret lock. My upper torso is again controlled by my lower torso.

If you want to turn while still facing, just turn and move your mouse a little bit to keep your torso pointed where you want. You dont need another button to do what you can already do with a small mouse movement. BattleMechs dont really have autopilot, they have pilots (you) that tell the mech what to do.

I agree this should be an option, so that people that use it have to push an extra button just to keep me in thier sights while they turn. This would also be hard to keep track of in contested battles because of all the rotation you need to do. You would have to use extra effort just to do what I do fluidly. It makes you slower to find me, which makes it easier for me to kill you.

Edited by ThinkTank, 07 November 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#14 ubermut

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

this would make circling your target so much easier. Currently if you are circling your target every time you make an adjustment to your legs to continue your circle, your aim is thrown off because your upper torso turns with your legs even if you are holding the mouse on your target. So every adjustment made to the lower torso has to also be made in the opposite direction on your upper torso (mouse hand).

This option makes so much sense and I would love to see it added. It would make gameplay so much smoother.

I don't even see the need for a button to be depressed, just always have it unlocked if you set it so in options. I can't think of many instances where I want my legs to effect my upper torso.

Hm, while we're at it lets add a center legs to torso option. Centering torso to legs is all well and good, but I would greatly appreciate both options.

Edited by ubermut, 07 November 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#15 Kalidar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Postubermut, on 07 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Hm, while we're at it lets add a center legs to torso option. Centering torso to legs is all well and good, but I would greatly appreciate both options.

Good idea!

By the way, I'm guessing a fair few of the 'I don't get why you want this' viewpoints might be related to differing gameplay/control choices? Personally I use the mouse for aiming, and keyboard for movement. If the two rotational speeds were analog/configurable (and I know leg rotation isn't analog, yet) - could we achieve the requested feature simply by keybinding that currently just has "turn legs left" and replace it with "turn legs left at speed X + turn view right at speed X" ?

#16 Sawa963

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

If this was supported I would definitely use it.

For me, this would massively improve my accuracy. To the point that I think they have already considered it and then decided against it.

#17 EyebrowZing

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostPapaKilo, on 06 November 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

What exactly would this option accomplish?
How would you choose what to "look at"?
How would you lead the target for PPC/Gauss/AC/SRM shots if your aiming point is fixed to where you're looking?

By moving your mouse, just like how you look/aim at anything else.

View PostThinkTank, on 07 November 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

If you want to turn while still facing, just turn and move your mouse a little bit to keep your torso pointed where you want.

This is exactly what we want to avoid.

Currently the torso is locked to the legs, and can be moved by the mouse. If you turn left or right and do not move the mouse, the torso will turn to the left or right the same amount as the legs, regardless of the angle of the torso in relation to the legs.

What we want is the option, either in the control option screen, or in game toggle, is to unlock the torso movedment from the leg movement so that now when I turn the legs left or right, it does not turn my view left or right until the torso reaches it's max rotational range. This will allow me to change my direction of movement while looking at my target without having to counter the turn of the mech with mouse movements, making aiming while turning far easier.

View Postubermut, on 07 November 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

this would make circling your target so much easier. Currently if you are circling your target every time you make an adjustment to your legs to continue your circle, your aim is thrown off because your upper torso turns with your legs even if you are holding the mouse on your target. So every adjustment made to the lower torso has to also be made in the opposite direction on your upper torso (mouse hand).

This option makes so much sense and I would love to see it added. It would make gameplay so much smoother.

I don't even see the need for a button to be depressed, just always have it unlocked if you set it so in options. I can't think of many instances where I want my legs to effect my upper torso.

I am glad there are people who recognize and understand what's going on here, and would preffer to play that way.

Kalidar said:

could we achieve the requested feature simply by keybinding that currently just has "turn legs left" and replace it with "turn legs left at speed X + turn view right at speed X" ?

If anyone comes up with a clever cfg edit, I'd love to use it.

#18 Bennz

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

wäää, your torso movement can/will be lower then your mech turning ability. so then you can turn slower or musst be reaim.

#19 Deamhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 484 posts
  • Location4 Wing Cold Lake

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

This only makes sense. This is a simulator so it stands that a real world example can be used to justify this. Current armored vehicles that have a turret (LAV III, leopard II tank, etc.) can do just that. The vehicle turns without effecting the turret and vice versa. A turrets ability to go 360 is irrelavent. Any hard stop would simply mean that once this limit of travel is reached, the turret would then be turned by the vehicle.

#20 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Don't hold your breath. The joystick bindings are not even finished. This is he only mech game where I have ever seen it from the beginning. The Waa engine is the problem. I guess that no one ever asked when they bought it if it could even handle the joystick and even the keyboard and mouse is not totally complete as spoken above. Thousands have demanded a binding joystick but from the start which they did not say that it could not be done till the game mechanic's were almost done. Maybe this game is being made in Canada? Hay it a great place with great people but well sorry go protest there Vancouver shack. I love the game anyway I can't help it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users