[Joystick/controller Advanced Workaround Support]{Throttle, Deadzone, Joystick Sensitivity & Logitech + Saitek Fix}

96 replies to this topic

#1 EternalCore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Note: Workaround is below. - This thread will be constantly updated so keep checking back.

Content Updated: Dec. 5th, 2012

Updated for:
Spoiler

Patch 1.2.177(Jan. 15th 2013) - No updates required

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Workaround::

i: Note: Make sure your controller is the default game device. To check Read here under Method 3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831361

ii: Video of How the Joystick should work: Saitek X52-Pro Gameplay

A: Add(Copy & Paste) these lines below(in the spoiler) into your "user.cfg" in the "MechWarrior Online" Folder using Notepad to make the throttle work in (Forward/Neutral/Reverse) mode; also fixes the joystick deadzone & sensitivity:

Note: Read in the spoiler for the "Logitech 3D Extreme Pro" & Older Joysticks that use potentiometers, deadzones and Settings fix.

Spoiler

B1: Use the MWO game to setup your joystick/controller buttons and Axis. If that doesn't help then try using the xml below in B2.

B2: Use this XML(in the spoiler) for the basic keys and joystick:

"actionmaps.xml" is in this location
"MechWarrior Online\USER\Profiles\[user_login_name]"

Spoiler

And use your Profile manager to map the rest of the keys. If you don't have one then you can try this free one called Joy2Key: http://sourceforge.n...ojects/joy2key/

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro users: Use the Logitech Gaming Software to setup the rest of your buttons; if you require the software download it from here: http://www.logitech....pport/game-gear

C: Saitek Users Continue Below here:

Note Saitek users: Here's the official manual that explains how to use the SST Joystick profile Manager:: http://www.saitek.co...T_Manual_En.pdf <-PDF Reader Required!

Note: make sure your software and drivers are up to date with the link below.

Saitek Drivers and Software: http://www.saitek.co...own/drivers.php

SST(Saitek Smart Technology) Joystick profile Manager users:

Setup your extra keys as you desire.

Here's the current settings I'm using for my profile for my X-52Pro.

1. Create a new text file here
"Documents\Saitek SD6 Profiles"

named "mwo.pr0"(be sure to remove the .txt extention)

2. Copy this code(in the spoiler) into the file using Notepad:
Spoiler

3. Save and exit notepad.

4. enable the profile using SST systray Icon

5. set weapons group 2 in the game(or use my xml above) to this key "]" this will allow you to use both your 1st and 2nd triggers with the primary firing button.

6. The rest of the keys are as follows:
Fire D = "Space bar" for Jump Jets.
Toggle 1(UP) = "N" for Night Vision on/off
Toggle 2(UP) = "H" for Heat Vision on/off
POV 2(Down; it's the one above Fire C) = "Z" for Zoom in/out

7. The throttle Thumb mouse is disabled because it kept getting hit while in intense combat.

8. Switch to mode 3 and enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Working Joystick/Controller Configs:

Comming soon...

Troubleshooting:

1A: if your getting this error "mwo.pr0 does not contain a profile for this device. The device has not been profiled"

Make sure your game device(X-52Pro) is set as the default game device in the "Game Device Control Panel", then try the following::
Create a new profile called MWO using the profiler, then go to the file and delete everything in it and replace it with The saitek config file above. Also, make sure when you paste it that the code is not pasted from left to right at the top of the page, but rather top to bottom. (It should look exactly like whats posted above) You may have to paste it from that post directly into a word doc instead of notepad first so that it shows up like html code, then copy it from the word doc and paste it in your newly created profile.

1B: Q:: My sensitivities are slow and or dead-zones are not working right; or to the way I like them.
A:: Check your "Game Device Control Panel" to see if the sensitivity and dead-zones are set right and to the way you want.

2A: Q:: My Logitech 3D Pro/Extreme isn't working the way it should in game.
A:: The Logitech - 3D Pro/extreme is known to have high mechanical/electronic failure rates, due to Logitech using cheap parts; which means it may not be the game or software. Use this search To find out and diagnose your 3D pro: https://www.google.c...e+3d+pro+repair

3A: Q:: Why not make a simple guide for the joysticks.
A:: It's not as easy as everyone thinks to make a basic guide as there are way too many different joysticks/controllers and the sensitivity + deadzones are all different on each of them... So keeping it generalized Like I have done is the best way at this point in time. But you are welcome to tinker with the user.cfg that I have posted to make it work with your joystick/controller and then share the settings with me and others on this forum.
Just keep in mind though that to do so you have to restart your game everytime you make a change, which is very tedious..

4A: Q:: My Mech's lags only turn on/off; but I want them to move Slow to fast while turning my mech...
A::

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

Note: The profile will be updated by me if required in the future so continue to check back.

Edited by EternalCore, 17 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#2 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

reserved...

Edited by EternalCore, 04 November 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#3 Cybermech

Tool

• 2,097 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

really nice guide mate.
should be moved to the controller section. -_-

#4 NeoHax

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

what about xbox 360 controllers?

#5 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Updated for Patch 1.0.142(Nov. 6th 2012) - No updates required.

View PostNeoHax, on 06 November 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

what about xbox 360 controllers?

I and many others Advise against using Gamepads for this game; Because It's a very strategic game and there are more buttons(Analog & Digital) to keep track of then on a gamepad alone. Also this game is designed for PC Only.

Edited by EternalCore, 06 November 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#6 AaronWatkins

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

good afternoon guys, you all seem pretty tech savy (and i am er, not) so i want to ask a total noob question.... (dont judge me!)

is there anyway to link two low end joystick style controlers to my pc and have say the left one for acceleration, turning and weap groups 1+2 while the second does the aiming, and wg 3 and maybe zoom? Just wondering because that would be freaking amazing and i have no idea if it would work, at all.

Thanks for reading!

#7 Arparso

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostEternalCore, on 06 November 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

I and many others Advise against using Gamepads for this game; Because It's a very strategic game and there are more buttons(Analog & Digital) to keep track of then on a gamepad alone.

... and on your typical joystick, but you still created this thread trying to help joystick owners but not gamepad players? Seems a bit random to me. Also not sure what your "designed for PC" is aimed at - don't PCs have support for all kinds of different input devices for more than two decades now?

Besides that, nice thread. Only played a couple of rounds with mouse and keyboard, but I'll give it a try with my X52 soon. Your guide should come in very handy, so thanks for that :lol:

#8 PhigNewtenz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 126 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'm considering switching from mouse + keyboard to mouse + Logitech G13 (this guy: http://www.logitech....anced-gameboard), the thought being that the thumb stick, configured as an analog joystick, would be sufficient for throttle manipulation and steering the mech. I'd retain the torso and arm behavior that is currently controlled by the mouse so that I could still target accurately.

The advantage I'm looking for is in having analog control over my turn rate (speed less important) to better target while circling, flying, dodging, etc., in my light mechs.

Do you think it would be possible to set this up? Also, do you think it would be possible to have the forward/back axis of the thumb stick increase and decrease the speed (like W and S do by default) instead needing to be held in the forward position to maintain top speed?

#9 Stabbitha

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Surprised you're not getting more likes because you've provided a solution to missing functionality that the devs cbf putting in. I don't use joystick but big props to you OP.

#10 Midnight Camel

• PipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the guide! I basically have my Thrustmaster HOTAS working but the stick sensitivity is still well below what it should be. The speed of the torso twist when using the stick is still significantly below the gyro's speed limit. I tried increasing the value of gp_mech_view_look_sensitivity to 0.0250 but detected no noticeable change. Also, when using either value, I detected no increase in the sensitivity of the mouse when, according to the comments in the xml, I should have. Is it possible that the client is taking the sensitivity values from somewhere other than this cfg file? The throttle config works perfectly now in forward/neutral/reverse mode, so I know the client is reading the cfg generally. Again, thanks for the guide!

EDIT:

After asking this I found the answer in this thread by the devs:

http://mwomercs.com/...joystick-users/

Apparently making the sensitivity value smaller increases the sensitivity. I'll test when I get home. Also relevant is the cl_joystick_gain value which apparently controls the maximum speed that the stick will cause the reticule to move. I will test this also later tonight. Hope this helps some folks.

Edited by Belberry Johns, 08 November 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#11 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostPhigNewtenz, on 07 November 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

I'm considering switching from mouse + keyboard to mouse + Logitech G13 (this guy: http://www.logitech....anced-gameboard), the thought being that the thumb stick, configured as an analog joystick, would be sufficient for throttle manipulation and steering the mech. I'd retain the torso and arm behavior that is currently controlled by the mouse so that I could still target accurately.

The advantage I'm looking for is in having analog control over my turn rate (speed less important) to better target while circling, flying, dodging, etc., in my light mechs.

Do you think it would be possible to set this up? Also, do you think it would be possible to have the forward/back axis of the thumb stick increase and decrease the speed (like W and S do by default) instead needing to be held in the forward position to maintain top speed?

I could be mistaken, but I believe the thumb stick on the G13 is digital only. So even if the game supported analog turning (currently it does not AFAIK) you'd be out of luck there.

However, the forward/back axis *definitely* can be set to behave like the W and S throttle. That much at least I'm certain of.

#12 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostHansh0tfirst, on 09 November 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

I could be mistaken, but I believe the thumb stick on the G13 is digital only. So even if the game supported analog turning (currently it does not AFAIK) you'd be out of luck there.

However, the forward/back axis *definitely* can be set to behave like the W and S throttle. That much at least I'm certain of.

I also Own The Logitech g13 gaming keyboard and Thumb stick supports both digital input(via Logitech key-to-stick from the gaming software) and analog input as its an analog joystick.

Now MWO still does not have analog support for turning the mech's legs left/right as this explains why:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 October 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

NOTE:
Remember, turning a Mech (it's feet) is a DIGITAL (on/off) movement at the moment. This means when you press left or right to turn your Mech, it turns just like you're pressing the A or D key on the keyboard. Slight movements on the joystick react like a key press. We know this is not how sim players want it and it should be small movements = slow turns. The problem is, the fix requires a huge code update on Mech movement. This is something we cannot tackle at the moment but it IS going to be addressed. We just can't give you a confirmed date of delivery.

Edited by EternalCore, 09 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#13 Fosters

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I just wanted to confirm that this line at least:

cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0

does work as intended with a CH Pro Throttle.

Haven't tried any of the others, and you (of course) have to restart MWO if you change the config.

Thank you for the guide!

Edited by Fosters, 10 November 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#14 nytmare banacek

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostFosters, on 10 November 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

I just wanted to confirm that this line at least:

cl_joystick_throttle_range = 0

does work as intended with a CH Pro Throttle.

Haven't tried any of the others, and you (of course) have to restart MWO if you change the config.

Thank you for the guide!

I am also struggling to get the CH Pro Throttle-Throttle control working. Did you figure it out?

I have edited the user.cfg as above.

The CH Throttle, I have tried with the following settings without success:
Currently, I have the Throttle slider set with:
-Control type: Up/Down.
-Steps: 2.
-Inc Key: w.
-Dec Key s.

Should I try setting it to DX mode, Z-axis?

The MWO in game config, when double clicking JS throttle brings up: js0_slider0. I will not let me select z axis.

Second question which I am not seeing a response is....

I have seen some posts (mainly developers-Paul) RE JS set up discuss editing this above user.cfg file and not actionmap.xml, others discuss editing the actionmaps.xml.
What is the difference?

Edited by nytmare banacek, 11 November 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#15 FluorescentBlack

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Wow excellent thread. I descided to just try my 3d pro (x52 mabey when game is released) but my problem still persists.

My torso movement rate is non existant. To twist my CT completley across the front sensor range v thingy line to line edge to edge takes 6 long missisippis, it should be a wrist flick servos permitting (im in a raven). Same with the pitch of the torso.

The invert Y axis worked so now my pitch is correct.

I need to speed up the Y (I use as pitch) and Z (I use as yaw / twist) axis.

Please help I am dying to "pilot" a mech again.

So I read the rest of the thread which I usually do first but I'm tired and I really don't feel like fuddlemuking...I did learn something that really amazes me in the link above that Belberry posted. Seems you and I sir are having the same problem with the torso movement.

That dev saying that turning is currently an on of switch blew my mind. I mean well get it properly later but Im just grinning that im playing a Mech game with turning as on off switch right now and it will take a MASSIVE adjustment to the code to square it away. .

That said there is no need for a joystick until that is fixed because that is almost "the" reason to have one beyond ergonomic satisfaction.

Edited by FluorescentBlack, 12 November 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#16 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

View Postnytmare banacek, on 11 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

The CH Throttle, I have tried with the following settings without success:
Currently, I have the Throttle slider set with:
-Control type: Up/Down.
-Steps: 2.
-Inc Key: w.
-Dec Key s.

Should I try setting it to DX mode, Z-axis?

The MWO in game config, when double clicking JS throttle brings up: js0_slider0. I will not let me select z axis.

If I'm interpretting the above correctly, you are making those settings in your profiling software (CH Control manager).

I suggest you clear those settings out of there. Leave all controller axis designations and axis behavior modifications to the MWO client's built in Options menu / actionmaps.xml and user.cfg file entries. It looks like you have a conflict going on due to the CH Control Manager entries for the throttle axis. It may even be preventing the MWO client's Options menu from being able to detect your throttle controller's movement when you attempt to assign it to control the mech's throttle.

Once you have cleared out the CH Control Manager settings, do a reboot, then go into the MWO client's Options menu. Click on the throttle (axis) field near the bottom of the "Joystick" column. You should be able to then just move your throttle control, and the game should detect it, placing the corresponding joystick/axis designation into that field. Save it, and then restart your MWO client. Try it out. If it works the way you want, you're golden. If not, then you'll need to put modifying entries for throttle into the User.cfg file to make it the way you want it.

Second question which I am not seeing a response is....

I have seen some posts (mainly developers-Paul) RE JS set up discuss editing this above user.cfg file and not actionmap.xml, others discuss editing the actionmaps.xml.
What is the difference?

The thing to understand about those files...

- actionmaps.xml stores button and axis assignments made in the MWO client's Options menu. You can also manually edit that actionmaps.xml to change assignments, if you want to get your geek on. If you want to keep it as simple as possible, leave actionmaps.xml alone, and just make your assignments in the Options menu.

- User.cfg stores modifications to the behavior of the assigned axis controls (among other things). This is the file that you have to resort to editing if you have axis responses that are not to your liking. There are commands for inverting an axis that you need to flip around. There is a command for making the throttle axis either behave as 0 to 100%, or to behave as -100 to +100%.
One thing to keep in mind... User.cfg uses internal 'generic' names for axis controls (ie. throttle, pitch and turn). User.cfg doesn't know which physical axis on which physical controller is doing what.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

#17 sundru

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi thanks for posting this, followed exact instructions above and cannot get the Logitech 3d extreme to work on the 3 items below

1. Mapping x axis - mech either turns always left or always rt .. as x axis assignment is mutually exclusive when you bind it.
2. Same for mapping look up look down with Y axis.
3. Throttle control does not work or rather should say works one way , throttle up and it stays throttled up .

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I've always played MW with a joystick and sucks to not have ti working.

#18 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

View Postsundru, on 12 November 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Hi thanks for posting this, followed exact instructions above and cannot get the Logitech 3d extreme to work on the 3 items below

1. Mapping x axis - mech either turns always left or always rt .. as x axis assignment is mutually exclusive when you bind it.
2. Same for mapping look up look down with Y axis.
3. Throttle control does not work or rather should say works one way , throttle up and it stays throttled up .

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I've always played MW with a joystick and sucks to not have ti working.

Reread the work around and follow every step!

#19 Citizen Louis

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

I am using a Nitho Shock Pad controller made for PC, and I checked out fine with the Windows Diagnostics. I could not get the throttle to work like it did in Halo, but the first code insert did the trick. However, my torso twisting and pitch (controlled by the right joystick) are increadibly slow. I have the 90 kph Centurion which is very fast on torso twists with the mouse, but with the controller is even slower than the Atlas. I will try and see how the second bit of code works tomorrow.

#20 Citizen Louis

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Scratch that, I can't paste it into the XML file using notepad or the much maligned IE. I looked at the file and it seems that maybe the code has been added in a patch somewhere along the way. I just started playing Mechwarrior again, so I have been a bit out of the loop.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users