"AC2s and AC5s are as useless as nipples on a mech torso"

388 replies to this topic

#341 Engineering

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

This thread has forced me to rethink using the Atlas from my founders package. I wasn't going to use it but now I have a great build I wanna try.

Slow the mech to 2/3 remove all weapons remove about half the armor.

8.5 tons for engine 2 for gyro 10 structure 3 cockpit and 10.5 armor = 34 tons which leaves 66 tons

Install 8 AC/2s = 48 tons
Install 1 PPC = 7 tons
Install 8 HS = 8 tons
Install 3 Tons of AC/2 Ammo

Lets see you tell me AC/2 is useless when it starts stripping a ton of armor every time I fire.

That said if they up the ROF on the AC/2 to 5 times per PPC as some people are suggesting I'd be doing 80 damage every 10 seconds. I thinks that's kinda OP honestly. Being able to severly damage an Atlas before the atlas even got into range with it's LRMs would be wrong I think.

So Leave AC/2 as it should be 2 damage every 10 seconds.

But yeah gonna have to try that build. Still has more armor than a hunchie but can really reach out and touch someone.

PS: I have stated elsewhere that AC 2/5/10 all become worthless when the more advanced tech comes in so please flame responsibly

#342 william kane

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

Would you even have that many ballistics hardpoints to begin with?

#343 Engineering

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

Well considering that the AC/2 takes up 1 crit slot it would take up less space than the AC/20 so I think just by using the Balistic hardpoint in the torso I could put them all in.

Course there might be a limit to the number of weapons per hardpoint but from what I can see from the few videos they have released they seem to be rather open as long as you stick to the right weapon type

#344 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

ok do you have mw4 installed?
if so use instent battle, set apponent at elite pilot skill and put him in a kraken then pick mech of your choosing and fite it out .
{as an elite pilot's as close to a humen you'l get in the cokpit}
and the kraken works better in tt then mw4!
get pwnd by an all ac2 mech and it anser's your question rather well.
oh yes and make sure you have unlimited ammo off and heatsinks on pls.
i've been running bt/tt games at company levels for over 25 yrs an i asure you ac2/ac5's are viable!
{thats 12v12/15v15 mechs on 6 maps linked together,if your lost on 15v15 then you havent played clan v clan in tt}
this will sound rather trollish but every time see this in forums i'm forced to believe that its based solely on mw video game play as thats
the only mediem i've seen the weapons down played as usefull weapons!
riflemen and jagermechs w/quad ac2's was the ezest way to counter the clans massive range advantage in early days of clan invasions.
til er weapons became more widely available!
{loved them davion gunboats lols}

the"hangman"

#345 Future Perfect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

View PostEngineering, on 07 July 2012 - 02:43 AM, said:

This thread has forced me to rethink using the Atlas from my founders package. I wasn't going to use it but now I have a great build I wanna try.

Slow the mech to 2/3 remove all weapons remove about half the armor.

8.5 tons for engine 2 for gyro 10 structure 3 cockpit and 10.5 armor = 34 tons which leaves 66 tons

Install 8 AC/2s = 48 tons
Install 1 PPC = 7 tons
Install 8 HS = 8 tons
Install 3 Tons of AC/2 Ammo

Lets see you tell me AC/2 is useless when it starts stripping a ton of armor every time I fire.

That said if they up the ROF on the AC/2 to 5 times per PPC as some people are suggesting I'd be doing 80 damage every 10 seconds. I thinks that's kinda OP honestly. Being able to severly damage an Atlas before the atlas even got into range with it's LRMs would be wrong I think.

So Leave AC/2 as it should be 2 damage every 10 seconds.

But yeah gonna have to try that build. Still has more armor than a hunchie but can really reach out and touch someone.

PS: I have stated elsewhere that AC 2/5/10 all become worthless when the more advanced tech comes in so please flame responsibly

So now you are slow and with very little armor but you have your many AC/2s.

Congratulations... I think that you will be a winner on the battlefield.

/sarcasm off

Edited by Future Perfect, 07 July 2012 - 09:13 AM.

#346 HANGMAN1962

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 277 posts
  • Locationnew hampshire usa

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

yup and if you cant get near him your toast lols he wont be fitting alown lols
its an extreame build but a good support build and if his lancemates keep you at bay you goin to die lmao
any lite mech thats exposed while trying to close on him will get toasted too!
this coming from a lite mech jockey such as myself!
mass ac 2s are the bane of lite scouts as only way to get them is to have a"lot" of ubstructed terrain to stay behind till you get rite on top of him!
literaly 1 alpha strike and your lite mech sheds appendages!
{his short range for those ac 2s is allmost max range for a lite mechs sans med lasers srms}
and you can see the effectiveness better now i hope?!

the"hangman"

#347 Engineering

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Slow yes. Very little armor? um... no. 10.5 tons is lots of armor for a long range mech and also for a brawler if you take a look at the hunchback which only has 10 tons.

10 Tons is light compared to what it usually carries but it's still a fair bit of armor and will stand up to all the lrm return fire he takes

#348 Kampfer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

There will very likely be a few maps where AC2 and AC5s will be viable, and other maps where they won't. And on the those viable maps someone will be screaming "AC2s ARE OP"

#349 Schtirlitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

And whine to nerf them :P

#350 Future Perfect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

View PostHANGMAN1962, on 07 July 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

yup and if you cant get near him your toast lols he wont be fitting alown lols
its an extreame build but a good support build and if his lancemates keep you at bay you goin to die lmao
any lite mech thats exposed while trying to close on him will get toasted too!
this coming from a lite mech jockey such as myself!
mass ac 2s are the bane of lite scouts as only way to get them is to have a"lot" of ubstructed terrain to stay behind till you get rite on top of him!
literaly 1 alpha strike and your lite mech sheds appendages!
{his short range for those ac 2s is allmost max range for a lite mechs sans med lasers srms}
and you can see the effectiveness better now i hope?!

the"hangman"

He is slow as a turtle so I'm sure that I can get to a cover position.
Yeah getting a weak engine and removing armor is soo effective but I don't care since the guy is practically a free kill to everyone.

Edited by Future Perfect, 07 July 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#351 XxZylonxX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Topic title made me laugh.

#352 Calisrue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

still all this theory crafting after dev post...

Still to contribute my 2 cents i was a fan of massed ac2 fire in all the pc games - this being said its not gonna work as well against somebody intelligently using cover and popping out to alpha strike with gauss/ppcs etc every 8 sec - rapid fire weapons get their dmg up in the open field more. Will be interesting to see how they work in this game, which we just don't know enough about at this point

#353 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostCalisrue, on 07 July 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

still all this theory crafting after dev post...

Still to contribute my 2 cents i was a fan of massed ac2 fire in all the pc games - this being said its not gonna work as well against somebody intelligently using cover and popping out to alpha strike with gauss/ppcs etc every 8 sec - rapid fire weapons get their dmg up in the open field more. Will be interesting to see how they work in this game, which we just don't know enough about at this point

that's only true once you're in range of your PPC/gauss, which is the advantage to the AC/2, there is nothing else in game comparable to it's range. So yes, once you're within YOUR max range, your tactic is valid, but he's hardly going to sit there and let you hide in cover in range of him, the instant you pop behind cover he's going to be moving out of your range. Eight seconds even as slow as he's walking can cover quite a bit of ground, and then you're getting chewed up again just to close the distance.

#354 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think the OP is just trolling, its like the guy who said PPC's became crap when the Gauss rifles came into the game. i say stop feeding the troll and let the idiocy die off. any weapon is useful in the right situation and their will always be exceptions and ways armchair warriors can figure out a way to use/deny it.

#355 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postpursang, on 13 April 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Well, unfortunately MWO won't have any light vehicles for you to "pepper".

Or be pepperred BY... I picked the tank with AC/2s by accident and murdered like 3 medium mechs (with help ofc) when I got stuck on the map in MWLL

#356 Mechwarrior5138008

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

anyone remember the GO-TO mech in BT:3025?

Blackjack...45ton Mech.

2x AC/2s
4x Med Lasers

They ruled the battlefield because of their ability to decapitate anything before anything else was in range.

I have a feeling we'll see plenty of Jagers on the field, and the folks that like to decry the AC/2s here on the forum will be crying foul everytime someone "exploits" these obviously over-weight and under-powered guns.

#357 Calisrue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostDamion Sparhawk, on 07 July 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

that's only true once you're in range of your PPC/gauss, which is the advantage to the AC/2, there is nothing else in game comparable to it's range. So yes, once you're within YOUR max range, your tactic is valid, but he's hardly going to sit there and let you hide in cover in range of him, the instant you pop behind cover he's going to be moving out of your range. Eight seconds even as slow as he's walking can cover quite a bit of ground, and then you're getting chewed up again just to close the distance.

wasn't really arguing that the ac2 wouldn't chew someone up at range out in the open - just saying that alot of people will just avoid closing out in the open and use cover. it all depends on the environment and which pilot has better mastery of range control of course. also i don't think you understood what i meant about only popping outta cover every 8 seconds (therefore not being exposed to the ac2 rapid fire for along time)

again not really arguing - i like the ac2 (and even more so the ultra) and i will definitely be trying out builds that take advantage of its strengths.

#358 MrM1971

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

Biggest problem with ac 2 and ac 5 and even ultra ac 5 is that they weigh way way way to much there damage output for how much tonnage you have to invest in these weapon systems ( not to mention they also need ammo theres more tonnage gone ) for how much damage they truly are capable of doing ( there weight should have been more along the lines of LRM systems when they developed the game ( they also never should have put meduim lasers as 1 ton they should have been 2 or 3 at least ) but since the game has been around for so long its not like there going to change cannon on tt rules now to better balance weapon systems

#359 Damion Sparhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 799 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostMrM1971, on 07 July 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Biggest problem with ac 2 and ac 5 and even ultra ac 5 is that they weigh way way way to much there damage output for how much tonnage you have to invest in these weapon systems ( not to mention they also need ammo theres more tonnage gone ) for how much damage they truly are capable of doing ( there weight should have been more along the lines of LRM systems when they developed the game ( they also never should have put meduim lasers as 1 ton they should have been 2 or 3 at least ) but since the game has been around for so long its not like there going to change cannon on tt rules now to better balance weapon systems

the tonnage makes sense when you actually weigh in the overall math, lasers generate more heat, requiring more heat sinks, once you move beyond the heatsinks already installed as a minimum system cooling on the mech every energy weapon you add then weighs that many heat sinks more than it's base tonnage, ballistics hardly add any heat at all so almost never require additional heat sinks. Missiles generally produce more heat than ballistics too, thus changing the equation in that respect, every weapon system has it's pluses and minuses and in the hands of a skilled user is a perfectly valid system it's just based on how you prefer to play.

#360 Wyr

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTransylvania, Romania

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

If they will be underpowered developers will give them a bit of boost in the patch, if they will be overpowered they will be nerfed. We will see. This is an MMO first and foremost, and stat changes will happen a lot.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users