Strategy games

103 replies to this topic

#41 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

You want to know one of the best strategy games out there?
http://megamek.info/
Sorry, had to toss it out there. <_<

#42 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

I've been a fan of strategy games since the first Warcraft game and C&C.. good times :-)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned War Game: European Escalation yet, that games got me hooked atm it's very different to ones like StarCraft and Red Alert. I think you'd like it Adridos it sounds similar in some ways as the Original War game you spoke of.

I like War Game coz it's got a higher level of realism to the point that it fosters some real world tactics. For example a tank can't get from one side of a large map to the other without running out of fuel, and units will run out of ammo too so logistics becomes important to keep your army functioning. In the SP missions if you loose a tank or infantry unit it's gone for good. This game also dose away with base building - the only building you have is a F.O.B for ammo and fuel - you call in new units from a "deck" of 25 units of your choosing that arrive from a captured strategic zone on the battlefield. Scouting is really important in this game too - sending in an army of helicopter gunships blindly only to find your enemy has lots of AA will end very badly for your poor helicopters!

Although it has a higher level of realism then other RTS games it don't take away from the fun but dose add to the strategy!

#43 Fameth Sathronaveth

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

It all started when I played Risk for the first time as a six year old. I have never looked back. I enjoy FPSs and RPGs, but for me strategy games is where it is at.

I started on the computer with the original Age of Empires, and then moved to the second. Loved the third for the graphics and AI but [as was a many a long-time aoe fan] was disappointed gravely by the gameplay - it was just so hard and so different going from ancient and medieval warfare to imperial times where almost every useful unit is ranged. So I appreciated 3, but would have preferred a graphic grander remake of one and two.

I enjoyed Star Wars Empire at War [including its Forces of Corruption Expansion]. The Campaigns could have used some work, suffering from especially from shortness. Gameplay was interesting with Galactic / planetary conflicts and economy. Overall I liked the game, but thought it could have been polished into a more beautiful jewel. [cough - EA] Modders have been hard at work here with

The Battle for Middle Earth was a great game that I loved, though EA managed to destroy the epic storyline with a crummy campaign. Mods such as the Elven Alliance, Lone Wolf, and the Dwarf Holds are bringing this game to its fulfillment now...

www.the3rdage.net

I dabbled a bit in other games, such as being a closed beta tester for Dawn of Fantasy, and playing the empire earths, the various C&Cs, etc.. but the above are my favorites.

#44 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

View PostHell Grunt, on 30 April 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I'm somewhat shocked there's no mention of the War series, Men of War in particular.

I played i, but I prefer the level of RTT as seen in Dawn of War 2, mainly its campaing (which I played on the hardest difficulty and the same with Chaos Rising). I just prefer the less serious approach, where you can revive your units and therefore, there are LOTS of enemies. Simply, when you outmanouver them, there's no better feeling in the world. ;)

View PostBlue Shadow, on 30 April 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned War Game: European Escalation yet, that games got me hooked atm it's very different to ones like StarCraft and Red Alert. I think you'd like it Adridos it sounds similar in some ways as the Original War game you spoke of.

I didn't play it myself, but I think it's a good game from what I saw. But it is completely different kind of game than OW. <_<

Also, it has + points for me by being the second game ever to introduce something to do with my nation (the first being C&C:TD). :P

Also, what is your take on games like Rush for Berlin, S.W.I.N.E, Blitzkrieg,...?

Edited by Adridos, 01 May 2012 - 12:25 AM.

#45 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

Use support power: "A little bump". ^_^

#46 Sneak

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

For me, the best strategy game is probably Mechcommander. Mechcommander 1 that is, including the expansion. MC2 was a huge disapointment for me because of how they made the missions far too easy.

#47 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

On the table top it was always battletech and risk, on the computer i started with total annihilation and star wars supremacy and am a huge total war fan, i remember playing medieval 1 constantly for over a year.

#48 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

almost forgot dawn of war! love that. not so keen on dow2 though
Oh and space empires iv and v. I will have to stop or this list is gonna go waaay long
Just one more- jeff waynes war of the worlds cos i love the completely pointless observation balloons far too much.
FLOAT FOR YOUR LIVES!

Edited by Kifferson von doober, 01 May 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#49 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostKifferson von doober, on 01 May 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

almost forgot dawn of war! love that. not so keen on dow2 though

I don't understand why do people complain about DoW 2. Both the first one and the second (hopefully even the 3rd) are perfect games, which do the Ralic and Warhammer justice. ^_^

#50 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

View PostAdridos, on 01 May 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

I don't understand why do people complain about DoW 2. Both the first one and the second (hopefully even the 3rd) are perfect games, which do the Ralic and Warhammer justice. ^_^

I never played the first one but DoW2 is great! But I think some people miss the larger scale battles that 40k is know for, rather then the smaller number of units in DoW2, it never bothered me though. I got particularly addicted to the Last Stand mode! Did you play that much Adridos?

#51 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:31 AM

No, its basically an RPG and not my style, I must admit its good, though. ^_^

And you have a good point with the size of battles. But at least they seem Warhammerish. You know, in the 1st game, you could have 4 squads of tac marines with heavy bolters and they would be just tacs with a little damage/supression boost, not like in DoW2, where if you set up a heavy bolter, those orks are going to feel it. :ph34r:

I hope Relic will do such an awesome game once more and maybe (just maybe) even please both audiences. ;)

#52 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

I'm currently in the market for an operational level strat game. This WW2 game looks really interesting as it makes heavy use of breakthrough+encirclement mechanics on the Eastern Front.

http://unityofcommand.net/

I'm not a huge fan of the cartoony look, but it's getting pretty good reviews and the flow of the game looks compelling.

Anyone here tried this one yet?

#53 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

That game certainly looks interesting, but I would rather see the demo first and try it out, before making any assumptions. ^_^

#54 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Homeworld is still my favorite

I've played all the C&C, Warcrafts, Starcrafts, Mech Commanders, Sins of s solar empire, and etc ( X-Com for you old timers still rocks )

I recently found GO online... yeah its just a gap filler till MWO, and Mech-Tactics goes live

#55 Kraktzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

For me, it is Ground Control. I like my build up RTS type games (Supreme Commander/Total Annihilation, C&C, Etc), but this was the first RTS I played took things like angle of fire into account (shooting at the front of a tank is nowhere near as effective as shooting at the rear), as well as real 3D terrain (ambushing armoured coloumns with infantry RPGs is a lot more effective from above). Also the difficulty in the game was good, and you had to think about what you wanted to do, as friendly fire could really hurt. I like that they made the only difference in difficuty from normal to easy, was that easy had the Friendly fire turned off.
But all this aside the real selling point for me on this game was that before each mission you had to chose which units to bring with you, since the drop ships only had so much room and you couldn't simply *oh well, lost another 50 tanks, lets just build more*. Your units even gained XP and got better as the game went on (so long as the unit survived anyway). Some missions even let you hold off on deploying some of your dropships (you got at most 3) in case you wanted to keep a reserve for later....
....great now I need to go play that game for a bit.....later.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Kraktzor, 01 May 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#56 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostRanger207, on 30 April 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

That looks epic! Thanks for the link!

#57 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostKraktzor, on 01 May 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

...as well as real 3D terrain (ambushing armoured coloumns with infantry RPGs is a lot more effective from above).

Well, Total War series got that a lot earlier. Basícally, that's how they created it. They wanted to make another C&C clone, but someone suggested to pioneer 3D ground. They made a simple test and it played great. They added some feature and from what should have become a C&C clone, became a very good RTS/TBS mix of Japanese medieval warfare. ^_^

#58 Ambartanen

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationOrbit of Galatea.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

HOMEWORLD for me, played it and fall in love at the first look!
Of course all the classics as well:C&C, Warcraft, Starcraft, Total War, Civs, Tyccons, you name it!

#59 Argatson Krieghammer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNot hiding in your closet

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

for those of you who haven't gotten it, I highly recommend Wargame: European Escalation. It's great fun, a little tabletop-esque, but you can unlock units for multiplayer in the campaign, so no immediate *** kickings

#60 Ranger207

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationI iz in ur matchez, killing ur battlemechz

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

It's not a wargame, but I like the SimCity seires also. How come EA takes over my favorite games?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users