Strategy games

103 replies to this topic

#61 AlfalphaCat

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

All you dudes that love the Homeworld series, hop on GOG.com and vote for it to be added.

While I like the build and conquer types, AoE, and even Age of Mythology(I liked how they made the factions actually play different) AoE3 was garbage, whoever said the graphics were good, is smokin' somethin' good. Anyways, as soon as I picked up one of the Total War games, I never knew what I really wanted from a strat game. RTS(like Starcraft and it's ilk) are IMHO not even strategy games. While they do take some forward thinking there is just so little to the actual battles, besides numbers. Too bad most of the TW series has some goofy unit that is all you need, and lots of them!

I think I need to check out Wargame: EE. It looks awesome, just not too sure. Heck if I could find Homeworld 1 or 2 for a reasonable price I'd be playing that.

Oh, and this is not really a Strat game, but it definitely has elements. Mount & Blade: Warband. Not only do you need to strategize and build up your warband, but you get to actually fight in the battles. ;)

#62 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:36 AM

View PostAlfalphaCat, on 01 May 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

All you dudes that love the Homeworld series, hop on GOG.com and vote for it to be added.

Anyways, as soon as I picked up one of the Total War games, I never knew what I really wanted from a strat game. RTS(like Starcraft and it's ilk) are IMHO not even strategy games. While they do take some forward thinking there is just so little to the actual battles, besides numbers. Too bad most of the TW series has some goofy unit that is all you need, and lots of them!

Are you sure they can actually sell Homeworld? I mean, the devs already released its code, so everyone can get it for free. Then putting it on GoG seems like selling Demos. But I agree it's hard to find any download links and it really deserves to be called good old game. ;)

Oh, and no Starcraft here, please. It's selling because of its name and only thing that game got right is the competitive multiplayer of Brood War. The original game and the 2nd one are just C-grade RTSs and even the Brood War is far from a real strategy game, but it's good enough for being strategic Counter Strike. :(

#63 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:19 AM

I started with Dune II,...
...played the first three Command&Conquer games,...
...continued with Total Annihilation (still one of my all-time favorites) were I dominated my friends in local network games,...
...bought MechCommander and played it until I managed to capture all MadCat and Masakari Mechs in the single player campaign (I just noticed this weekend, while playing the game again, that I'm playing a davion there... ugh, damn!),...
...had a very good time with the Homeworld series and...
...played a lot of titles that, at this very moment, I can't seem to remember.

All those games reappear from time to time on my hard drive. I could probably play their single player parts with my eyes closed and a hand tight behind my back.

The sad thing is: They don't make games like those any more. They become more and more simplyfied. I would kill to get a game of the caliber of the above mentioned again.

#64 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostAlfalphaCat, on 01 May 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

While I like the build and conquer types, AoE, and even Age of Mythology(I liked how they made the factions actually play different) AoE3 was garbage, whoever said the graphics were good, is smokin' somethin' good. Anyways, as soon as I picked up one of the Total War games, I never knew what I really wanted from a strat game. RTS(like Starcraft and it's ilk) are IMHO not even strategy games. While they do take some forward thinking there is just so little to the actual battles, besides numbers. Too bad most of the TW series has some goofy unit that is all you need, and lots of them!

I think I need to check out Wargame: EE. It looks awesome, just not too sure. Heck if I could find Homeworld 1 or 2 for a reasonable price I'd be playing that.

Oh, and this is not really a Strat game, but it definitely has elements. Mount & Blade: Warband. Not only do you need to strategize and build up your warband, but you get to actually fight in the battles. ;)

Wargame: EE is great, I recommend it, it's a very strategic game.

Ohhh yeah Warband! That's a fun game :-) Anyone into there medieval combat would appreciate it. You'd be looking forward to War of the Roses then!

#65 Kifferson von doober

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostAdridos, on 01 May 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

I don't understand why do people complain about DoW 2. Both the first one and the second (hopefully even the 3rd) are perfect games, which do the Ralic and Warhammer justice. ;)

I think thats the problem, Dawn of war 1 was perfect! 2 was smaller in scale. I want more not less *********! I also prefer empire to napoleon total war for similar reasons.

#66 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostKifferson von doober, on 02 May 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

I think thats the problem, Dawn of war 1 was perfect! 2 was smaller in scale. I want more not less *********! I also prefer empire to napoleon total war for similar reasons.

Well, they want to combine the first and the second game now. But you must admit the campaign of the 2nd game felt more like a Warhammer. Not in the way they stomped everyone, but the fact that it was a bunch of elite Space Marines against hordes of Orks/Tyranids. ;)

#67 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

I play the heck out of Civ 4... I would like to switch to Civ 5 but it just takes so long to start and after each move that I can't do it.
Other than that I seem to have the same RTS play history posted here.

#68 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostRender, on 02 May 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

I play the heck out of Civ 4... I would like to switch to Civ 5 but it just takes so long to start and after each move that I can't do it.
Other than that I seem to have the same RTS play history posted here.

As far as I remember, the Civ 5 has a shorter loading time. ;)

#69 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 May 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Hmmm... You played both on the same computer?
Civ 4 loads fast on mine but Civ 5 takes longer than I am willing to wait.
Just to be clear, to paly Civ 5 you have to go through Steam.

Edited by Render, 02 May 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#70 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

View PostRender, on 02 May 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

Hmmm... You played both on the same computer?

Yes. But I haven't played 4th game for 1000s of hours, so I might not notice the difference. ;)

#71 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 May 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Civ 5 drives me f--king nuts, the graphics and memory leaks seize the game 200 turns into it, I just gave up on it...

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorites, and I still play it is Might & Magic dos version.. Warlords every now and then just cause I had a friend on the team that developed that.

edit: spelling dankerism'imsssss

Edited by Opus, 02 May 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#72 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostOpus, on 02 May 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorites, and I still play it is Might & Magic dos version.. Warlords every now and then just cause I had a friend on the team that developed that.

You mean you play HoMAM and Warlords Battlecry, or some old M&M:Warlords game?

Also, that reminds me of some good questions:
Have you played M&MH 5? Also, back in the day, did you prefer Heroes, or Warlords: Battlecry?

#73 AlfalphaCat

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostBlue Shadow, on 02 May 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Wargame: EE is great, I recommend it, it's a very strategic game.

Ohhh yeah Warband! That's a fun game :-) Anyone into there medieval combat would appreciate it. You'd be looking forward to War of the Roses then!

Funny you should say that. Was gonna get it, buit decided to check out the Men of War games. Steam had them(and their Real Warfare) bundled for 50 bucks. Oh well, I will check it out sometime though.

Is War of the Roses a Warband Mod? Haven't played in a while.

#74 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 May 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

You mean you play HoMAM and Warlords Battlecry, or some old M&M:Warlords game?

Also, that reminds me of some good questions:
Have you played M&MH 5? Also, back in the day, did you prefer Heroes, or Warlords: Battlecry?

yup, those be it

Warlords, Heroes had too many glitches for me

#75 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostOpus, on 02 May 2012 - 11:29 AM, said:

Warlords, Heroes had too many glitches for me

But it had a really great story. ;)

I once got glitched and had to repeat 3 hour mission. BUt it was worth it. B)

#76 Skar

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Age of Empires 2/Mythology
Stronghold 1/Crusader
Warcraft 3
Empire Earth

Edited by Skar, 02 May 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#77 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Sup Com FA and Civ 5 get the most attention from me.

#78 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

I love strategy games, especially turn based strategy. Battle for Wesnoth is a great free strategy game.

#79 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

I love strategy games, especially RTS's. The problem is that I suck hard at all of them. The only strategy game I've ever played against other human beings is StarCraft. I've never won a single match.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Homeworld, Command & Conquer (well, maybe not Tiberian Twilight), Total Annihilation, StarCraft, Age of Empires, WarCraft, Age of Mythology... they're all great.

That's not to say there aren't turn-based strategy games I like, either, but you can check out my Civilization thread for that.

Edited by RL Nice, 02 May 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#80 AlfalphaCat

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Oooh, oooh, ooh, look what I found!!!! ;) B) :rolleyes: :lol:

Never new they released the source code for Homeworld, so I looked into it. Thanks Adridos.

http://homesource.nekomimicon.net/

Edited by AlfalphaCat, 02 May 2012 - 01:52 PM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users