Strategy games

103 replies to this topic

#81 Neovenator

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

My favorite strategy games for the pc were Master of Magic, Master of Orion II, Star Wars Rebellion and I'll even thrown in Fantasy General. I sunk many hours of my youth into these turn based strategy games and to date I still far prefer turn based to RTS.

More recently I have found myself playing games like Catan and Smallworld on the iPad when I have the time, which I think are great ports of the respective boardgames.

#82 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Favorite strategy game? X-Com and X-Com apocalypse. Honestly, if someone could provide me with weekly updates onto those core games that added new aliens/locations/weapons/research I think I would be the happiest man on earth. (at least until I died of starvation after forgetting to eat)

Favorite multiplayer strategy game? DoW2. Played in the beta for it with my brother and a friend, and we bought it the second it came out and let it destroy our lives for a month or so. I personally dislike base building, and I prefer a game that focuses on making the combat interesting and (warning buzzword incoming) viceral. Setting up in green cover and mowing down a line of infantry is fun. Tagging a mech with a sticky bomb and then blasting it apart with rocket launchers is fun. Tossing a grenade into a building full of orcs and watching the little buggers go flying is the best. ;)

#83 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostAlfalphaCat, on 02 May 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Funny you should say that. Was gonna get it, buit decided to check out the Men of War games. Steam had them(and their Real Warfare) bundled for 50 bucks. Oh well, I will check it out sometime though.

Is War of the Roses a Warband Mod? Haven't played in a while.

Gotta love the steam deals ;)

War of the Roses is actually a new game but very much like Warband, but with a more story driven single player from what I've read and much improved graphics. Not a great deal of info yet but you can check out their webpage here: http://www.paradoxpl...ar-of-the-roses

#84 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostAdridos, on 02 May 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

You mean you play HoMAM and Warlords Battlecry, or some old M&M:Warlords game?

Also, that reminds me of some good questions:
Have you played M&MH 5? Also, back in the day, did you prefer Heroes, or Warlords: Battlecry?

Talking about turn based fantasy strategy games I played Age of Wonders back in the day, loved it and a few months ago decided I wonted to get back into that type of game so I got M&M VI..... I really should have paid more attention to the reviews! Boy did I waste my money lol.

#85 DeformedSlowest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 140 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostJeremiah Mint, on 29 April 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

My personal favorite was Dune 2000; not only was it the very first RTS I ever picked up but it got me interested in Dune (Single greatest work of Science Fiction. Ever. Period.), and talk about suspenseful. Nothing was as nail-biting as moving your precious army across the desert and hoping beyond hope that a damned sandworm didn't get their scent.
Also House Ordo had a tank called a Deviator which could mind control enemy vehicles for short periods, nothing beat turning over half an enemy's army against it and watching him squirm.

Yup I remember that game. Loved using House Harkonnen for their tanks, but I loved using the House Atreides for the Fremen units to conduct sneak attacks.

#86 Dustfang

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Tiberian Sun, when it comes to videogames. Mech Commander 2 was fun, what little I played of it, but I never actually got a chance to spend an extended period of time with it, so I can't comment on that one.

As to Tib Sun, it offered a nice depth/variety of strategies, and plenty of options, and then presented them in a simple, easy to use system. Red Alert 2 also kinda hit this sweet spot (though I think the variety was a little more limited). After those, the series really did nosedive. =(

though to be honest, for strategy, nothing will ever beat a tabletop.

#87 DeformedSlowest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 140 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Loved the Homeworld Franchise and can't wait for C&C: Generals 2. I didn't exactly enjoy the expansion of C&C: Generals Zero Hour as I thought it broke the game into how fast you can get your super units up.

#88 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostRL Nice, on 02 May 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

I love strategy games, especially RTS's. The problem is that I suck hard at all of them. The only strategy game I've ever played against other human beings is StarCraft. I've never won a single match.

Starcraft is about clicking. As the critics of the RTS say: "Speedy decisions and actuall strategies don't go together."

I disagree with them, because in slower paced RTSs, you have plenty of room to strategize and beat your opponent by your mind, not your brawn (Sup Com, Total War, for example). But I have to agree on fact that games like Starcraft don't use strategy at all. Try out some o those more strategic games in MP before giving up on RTSs entirely. :ph34r:

@AlfAlphaCat: Good to know I helped you. Are you using Linux/MAC, that you find that site so interesting? B)

"I wanted to get back into that type of game so I got M&M VI..... I really should have paid more attention to the reviews! Boy did I waste my money lol."

What was so bad about it? When I played demo, everything except for all races being the same (all had healers, no special, unique stat, etc.) and some sound glitches, it seemed pretty fine, even without many resources. :D

#89 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

I know this is a double post but you need to know. :ph34r:

Company of Heroes 2 has been announced in the newest isuue of PC Gamer! Also, it will concentrate on eastern front this time. :D

#90 Skullrider

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

Computer games: RTS: Star Trek Armada 1 & 2, Mech-Commander II, Starcraft 1 & 2 (though i Do feel that the multiplayer features are A) too fast paced and :ph34r: elitist-dominated. Command and Conquer (all of them except IV, which should be destroyed, with fire.) Dune II and War Wind, Sins of a solar empire. TBS: Star Trek Birth of the federation, Master of orion III, Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate, Space hulk, Space Crusade, Battle Isle (all of them :D), Campaign 1 & 2.

Table top games: Battletech, Warhammer 40k. Magic the Gathering.

#91 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 May 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

What was so bad about it? When I played demo, everything except for all races being the same (all had healers, no special, unique stat, etc.) and some sound glitches, it seemed pretty fine, even without many resources. :P

M&MH VI seems just fine at first and can be a fun game but after a while the tactics boil down to numbers more then actual strategic skill so you end up pooling all your units into a single massive army, playing chicken with your enemy's massive army while your other hero's capture stuff. If your massive army dies you can never equal the numbers with you opponent as your limited by how many warriors you can buy each turn. A simple cap on army size would have helped a lot I think. Oh well.

#92 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

View PostBlue Shadow, on 03 May 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

...so you end up pooling all your units into a single massive army, playing chicken with your enemy's massive army while your other hero's capture stuff. If your massive army dies you can never equal the numbers with you opponent as your limited by how many warriors you can buy each turn. A simple cap on army size would have helped a lot I think. Oh well.

Doesn't seem that different from previous HoMAM game. :P

#93 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

My favorite RTS is probably MechCommander 2, but I kinda like C&C. *sniff* Hearing about C&C makes me so sad...*sniff* Westwood made great games (I especially liked C&C Renegade) but EA just had to crush them under their big, blinged out boots. *sniff*...

*cries*

(A few minutes of sadness later) Seriously, EA is the epitome of evil companies. They have bad customer service, they're constantly gobbling up AWESOME companies only to kill them a few years later, and they're just in it for the money. THEY. ARE. EVIL.

Anyway, I still think MC2 is my favorite RTS. Customising the mechs and putting pilots into them is probably one of the most strategic parts. Should you have more fire support mechs? Should you consider cramming more PPCs on that Atlas? Also, the plot is good. However, compared to the original, it seems a bit...dumbed down?

Another one of my favorites will always be DAWN OF WAR. 40K FOR THE WIN! I like DOW because the factions are very diverse both in how they look and what their tactics are. I like that. I also like using the Firestorm over Kronus mod for Dark Crusade. However, I think the finished mod (firestorm over kronus is a beta) is Firestorm over Kaurava for Soulstorm. Anyway, they both make the game much more true to the tabletop game and VASTLY improve the graphics over vanilla. PLUS, they add a new faction and change the sound effects to sound better.

Btw, I also like Master of Orion I and II.

Edited by MechRaccoon, 04 May 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#94 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostMechRaccoon, on 04 May 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

My favorite RTS is probably MechCommander 2, but I kinda like C&C. *sniff* Hearing about C&C makes me so sad...*sniff* Westwood made great games (I especially liked C&C Renegade) but EA just had to crush them under their big, blinged out boots. *sniff*...

*cries*

Posted Image

#95 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Anyone keeping an eye on this game: Endless Space

Looks very awesome, maybe a space RTS to look forward to?

@Adridos; Oh lol. :rolleyes: First M&MH game I ever played... but still Age of Wonder 2 did it better :P

#96 Woad Raider

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:30 AM

The origional xcom was and is still my faivorite stratergy game. If you failed to plan propperly for even one turn you could end up loosing half your squad, it was a game that forced you to take risks and it was actually scary when you pressed the end turn button.

I am quietly optemistic for the new one but iv been burned before so ill not get too excited.

#97 SNOWHOUND

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

Supreme commander - mainly for its mechs / tactical nukes / stupidely insane but wonderful special units - like a mobile land factory that doubles up as a monstrosity of a tank.

Coy of Heroes - amazing detail at the time great RTS in a ww2 setting

#98 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostNeovenator, on 02 May 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

My favorite strategy games for the pc were Master of Magic, Master of Orion II, Star Wars Rebellion and I'll even thrown in Fantasy General. I sunk many hours of my youth into these turn based strategy games and to date I still far prefer turn based to RTS.

More recently I have found myself playing games like Catan and Smallworld on the iPad when I have the time, which I think are great ports of the respective boardgames.

You may wanna have a look at this then: A new 4X game called "Endless Space". You can buy it right now on Steam and you'll get access to the alpha of the game. It might sound off with an alpha, but if noone had told me it was an alpha I certainly wouldn't be able to spot it. The UI design is gorgeous, all the element like exploring, building, researching and combat is down. They also give members of the community certain amounts of "vote points" that allows them to vote on things like ship designs, faction insignias and the like that they would want in the game.
This video gives you a quick run-through of the game:

I bought it yesterday, and I've already sunk a good 4-5 hours into it. I can already tell it's gonna cost me some nights of sleep.

#99 Joe Davion 86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCLT-NC

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

omg endless space look gorgeous...cruiser...is it worth it cuz its 25% off right now on steam

#100 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

I think it's worth is so far. It's only 22€ for the admiral edition right now (with the 25% off) and considering the potential the game has and how well it already plays, I would get it. Especially considering how few good 4X games exists at the moment.

Expanding a litle bit on what I explained before: One fun improvement over classic 4X games is how they handle combat. You can have the computer figure out results of combat between fleets if you cant be arsed to play it out, but you can also do the battle "manually" where you watch the battle in a cinematic mode as it plays out.

Now the battle is based on the "numbers" of each fleet. Their weapon types, their defences, extra modules etc. but the developer also allow you to play "battlecards" for the fight. A fight has 3 phases that it goes through. It starts at Long range, goes into medium range, and ends at melee range. Each range gives some weapons an advantage, so missiles are good at Long range, lasers good for medium, and kinetic weaponry excel in melee range. Each of these phases also allows you to play a battle card that either buffs your fleet or debuffs the enemy, but the effect wary depending on what card the enemy played so sometimes your card can be enhanced in its effect, and sometimes your card can be countered by the enemy card.

All in all it makes the fights interesting to watch with a bit of influence on the outcome, but without stressing you out.

Edited by Cruiser, 05 May 2012 - 05:50 AM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users