Nerf Streak Missiles

445 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks (713 member(s) have cast votes)

Nerf Streaks?

1. Abandon all pretense, just nerf them out of existence for the sake of it (43 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

2. They need a slight nerf (188 votes [26.37%])

Percentage of vote: 26.37%

3. They're fine (joke option) (482 votes [67.60%])

Percentage of vote: 67.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 SteelRat

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

And yet... they still dominate any match they are in. Even with all their.. uhm.. shortcomings.

They only dominate if you let them dominate. Kind of funny how many players ignore Streakcats thinking kitty cats ain't worth their attention. But thats like a number of Mechs, ignore a guasscat, and he will chew you up as well, I've run into some HBKs and Dragons that if you ignore them, they will rip you a new 1. So maybe its all you whiners are a bunch of nubs that can't shoot your way out of a wet paper bag. Just a thought.

#142 Murrrks

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

They are fine - finally something to scare away lights with high ping!

#143 Suki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

50% damage reduction sounds appropriate, or have them randomly target ANY component. They need to be less insanely OP.

This patch was a BIG mistake. Streaks are very, very bad for the game right now. I've been getting top damage top kills in my streak A1 for 3 games running and it takes no skill and is no fun to use.

Please, this is hotfix worthy IMO but at least in the next patch you need to nerf these out of existence!

streaks are only support weapons, without them all other heavy mechs will be hunting jenners for hours :D
Try to get some skill in killin it. Cata A1 is the first target on the battlefield, and is killed firstly and sometimes really quick, hunchies are the worst, they get my ears off in 1-2 alfas. ;)

As for about, 2 days ago I had a duel with an unreally skilled dragon, he destroyed my ears rather qiuck and killed me before i damaged him to 80%.

View PostMurrrks, on 21 November 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

They are fine - finally something to scare away lights with high ping!

they are the only thing the lighsts are scared off. :D

#144 Buttski

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

and the whining continues. lol. would like to know from which country all those whineboys are coming from :D

#145 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostBastiat, on 21 November 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

You manage 600-900 (or better) with post nerf LRMs on a consistent basis? Congratulations, you must be one of the top few % of players in the game (or play exclusively in premades?). Now cut your skill by 3/4, ditch your teammates, load up a Streakcat, and get the same numbers.

And all this "keep your distance!" stuff on Streakcats just doesn't fly, sorry. What are brawler configured mechs supposed to do - only brawl when there are no Streakcats on the opposing team?

If a decent brawling player finds himself against a low-skill pilot in a laserboat Hunchback, he/she can be quite confident of a victory without taking too much damage (due to poor maneuvering and quite a bit of missing). Put that same low-skill opponent in a Streakcat, and you may suddenly be in a borderline unwinnable fight.

yes i am. and mostly in PUGS because in premade there were at least 3 people with way better loadout and skills leaving me no chances to rake more than 500. my personal record is 1.8k for streak cat in pug - 7 kills pre pre pre patch why? because ignorant pwners let me.

loled on this one. so mighty brawlers shouting everywhere that "BRAWLING TAKES BAWS OF STEEL AND MAD SKILLZ!!!!!! NERF EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!" and bashing anyone who think otherwise cant manage cabin shot or ct shot on not so fast moving target? or cant outmaneuver it?) do i need to mention that streak cat is also a brawler?)

somehow my cat with quad ml manage things in close quarters - maybe "brawlers" should drop some weapons for some speed if their "mad skillz" not allowing them to hit with those weapons?)

pf. so oh so skilled brawler pilot cannot drop lock? or disarm said cat? or kill it? difference between no skilled streak and skilled one is 5-6 kills - low skill pilots die quite fast facing decent opponents.

#146 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostBastiat, on 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

The, "just stay >270 meters away LOL!" advice is utterly useless. What are you supposed to do when a Streakcat is capping your base - stand back at 280 meters where you can't even get LOS to shoot at him? Many players also build their mechs explicitly for close-range brawling; they shouldn't have their builds nullified by a Streakcat.

My brawler atlas might have words with your cat. *walks into base stands there unflinching, does 70+ damage in a single alpha.*

#147 Quad Ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 November 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Just a thought:
In TT SSRMs hit with the same frequency as normal SRMs, but when they hit all missiles hit, and when they missed it didn't use ammo. Comparing their performance over time, they did slightly better damage/time, and used a decent amount less ammo/time.
So why not leave their damage and tracking as-is, and just give them a bit extra cooldown so they're closer to the TT versions, which only did slightly better damage/time, but had much less ammo consumption compared to normal SRM2s.

In this particular case, the damage is already well on the side of normal SRMs. Imagine a cat loaded with 6xSRM6...that's a 90 point alpha, and a half decent brawling pilot should have no problem getting into range to use them.

Here's a tip. If you see a cat that isn't hanging back in a fire support position, assume they are a brawler just like any other. Then have your own fire support focus on the kitty.

#148 ian davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

The knock on chained Streaks is the only real problem I've seen.

#149 Nuclear Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLa Isla Bonita

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 21 November 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

My brawler atlas might have words with your cat. *walks into base stands there unflinching, does 70+ damage in a single alpha.*

*JUMPS into base and shuts down his Jenner*
- Hi guys !! hows it going? -
*Powers up as soon as the cat turns arround and alpha on his back / leg / arm (choose 1) then shuts down again with a big trollface in the cockpit*

#150 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostQuad Ace, on 21 November 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

In this particular case, the damage is already well on the side of normal SRMs. Imagine a cat loaded with 6xSRM6...that's a 90 point alpha, and a half decent brawling pilot should have no problem getting into range to use them.

Here's a tip. If you see a cat that isn't hanging back in a fire support position, assume they are a brawler just like any other. Then have your own fire support focus on the kitty.

Yeah, but SSRM2s ought to be compared to SRM2s, not SRM6s.
6s weigh more, produce more heat, and use more ammo.
Also if we compare SSRM2s to SRM6s, what happens when clan SSRM6s come in? Every mech with 2 missile hardpoints suddenly becomes as powerful as an A1 streakboat (you have to admit, they at least aren't bad) while just using up 2 of it's hardpoints.

Imagine Commandos running around with 3 Clan SSRM6s... (I just did, and it was hillarious, but probably a wee bit broken).

Oh, and for reference, every time we see an A1 these days my team calls it primary and smashes it into the ground if it doesn't run. It's not an issue for us but we can still recognise the power. Heck my 90kph hunch SP with 5x Medium lasers and 2 SSRM2 launchers was consistently topping our team until I stopped using my Streaks except vs lights .

View PostNuclear Weapon, on 21 November 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

*JUMPS into base and shuts down his Jenner*
- Hi guys !! hows it going? -
*Powers up as soon as the cat turns arround and alpha on his back / leg / arm (choose 1) then shuts down again with a big trollface in the cockpit*

BAP is in the game now, it weighs 1.5 tons and takes 2 slots. It lets you lock onto any shutdown mech inside 200m and blow them to hell with streaks.

Edited by One Medic Army, 21 November 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#151 Orkhepaj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

I just don't like weapons that lock on and take no skill. They should be inherently worse than any weapon that requires skill.

Must be a lag exploiter jenner pilot.

#152 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

I am not sure yet if there is an issue or not, but here are my comments if there are:

View PostHighlandCoo, on 20 November 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

The A1 is the only mech where streaks are a massive issue - thats what needs to be addressed - not the streaks themselves

But why is the A1 a problem?
Because it can boat 6 of them?
But why is that a problem, if the weapon is balanced, it shouldn't be worse than an A1 boating 6 LRM10s, or an Awesome boating 8 Medium Lasers, or whatever we want to compare.

If it seems unbalanced, than it is because the weapon itself is unbalanced.

Let's say you have a mech that has only 2 Streaks and thing they are fine on them. Let's say Streaks are 50 % more powerful than they are normally ,and you have, say, 4 "balanced" weapons of similar weight. Than the Streaks only make 1/3 of the damage output, so your total damage output would only be about 17 % higher than normal. That might be easily missed.
But if you boat 6 of them, your damage output would be 50 % higher than that of a mech with regular weapons.

If Streaks need to be nerfed, I would suggest lowering their rate of fire (maybe to 4.5 seconds?). I'd simply prefer if all Short Range Missiles have the same damage per missile. Lowering their ROF will make them still hit hard, but they hit less often, allowing people to "catch up".

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 21 November 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#153 Nuclear Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLa Isla Bonita

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 November 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

BAP is in the game now, it weighs 1.5 tons and takes 2 slots. It lets you lock onto any shutdown mech inside 200m and blow them to hell with streaks.

Thats right... that streak cat will need to drop some heatsinks or at least 1 DHS LOL... If that cat has BAP then I shoulld run behind him everytime and jump over him every time to avoid lock...

Problem might come when he gets 360 target retention thou... then again we will have to switch tactics as a TEAM not me as a superman :D

#154 ian davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

The only downsides to them on TT is that they weigh more, ammo is more expensive, and have way more BV. What are you guys going to do when Streak LRMs hit the game? 3057 clan tech. What kind of crying will that induce. The only thing that will save you is the ECM. A ton of post 3050 mechs use ECM since Streak locks are useless against them. We can only tell how things will play out when they add ECM next month. Better get used to shooting lights with out Streak.

#155 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Streaks are OP against uncoordinated PUGs, because these games most of the time turn into uncoordinated brawls, which are then won by the brawler configurations. Not that surprising, tbh.

Against a half decent team, streaks are not OP. Focus fire is the key.

#156 SUSTINET

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 116 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Streaks require no skill. It's not difficult to maintain a lock at all, all you have to do is hold down your little button and maintain lock until your ammo runs dry or your enemies are smoking heaps. I can circle with other light's all day, don't even have to keep the crosshairs on them the whole time, just don't break lock for more than half a sec, just keep it over their general area and don't forget to hold down that button and that's streaking for ya. I watch as these missiles make complete 180 turns coming out of passing mechs to fly up over their heads and back at their targets as the run head on jousting each other. They were more than adequate before the patch, now, they are down right ugly. I really hope this game get's balanced at some point. Right now it's just on to the next weapon system to abuse the hell out of until it's nerfed, then on to the next.

#157 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

View Postian davion, on 21 November 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

The only downsides to them on TT is that they weigh more, ammo is more expensive, and have way more BV. What are you guys going to do when Streak LRMs hit the game? 3057 clan tech. What kind of crying will that induce. The only thing that will save you is the ECM. A ton of post 3050 mechs use ECM since Streak locks are useless against them. We can only tell how things will play out when they add ECM next month. Better get used to shooting lights with out Streak.

I forsee big problems coming for this game when Clan Tech becomes available in some manner. Suddenly, weapons will weigh less and deal the same damage as IS weapons, or weigh the same but deal more damage. Larger Streaks will be commonly available. LRMs will get lighter. Guns will have more range.

And I doubt that the Devs really have a firm handle on what is going to happen. Clan mechs basically can potentially put out twice the damge IS Mechs can, but neither Clanners nor IS have tech to counter the extra damage - it's just there, and it will not be delivered with pilot rolls and random hit rolls, it will be delivered with precise mouse aim to your center torso or head.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 21 November 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#158 Nuclear Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLa Isla Bonita

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

View PostSUSTINET, on 21 November 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

Streaks require no skill. It's not difficult to maintain a lock at all, all you have to do is hold down your little button and maintain lock until your ammo runs dry or your enemies are smoking heaps. I can circle with other light's all day, don't even have to keep the crosshairs on them the whole time, just don't break lock for more than half a sec, just keep it over their general area and don't forget to hold down that button and that's streaking for ya. I watch as these missiles make complete 180 turns coming out of passing mechs to fly up over their heads and back at their targets as the run head on jousting each other. They were more than adequate before the patch, now, they are down right ugly. I really hope this game get's balanced at some point. Right now it's just on to the next weapon system to abuse the hell out of until it's nerfed, then on to the next.

Why would ANY light circle all day with you anyway? :) Thats just dumb.

#159 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

Haha, streaks have returned to most of their former glory. Only thing left is to remove the spread and make them all hit CT!

But yeah, they were fine last patch, just needed to make them hit 100%. This patch saw SSRMs getting doublebuffed.

#160 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:59 AM

Clantech was cheesy from the first day it was released in the TT.

It is the definition of powercreeping. I hope there will be a Clantech-free environment in MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users