Nerf Streak Missiles

445 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks (713 member(s) have cast votes)

Nerf Streaks?

1. Abandon all pretense, just nerf them out of existence for the sake of it (43 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

2. They need a slight nerf (188 votes [26.37%])

Percentage of vote: 26.37%

3. They're fine (joke option) (482 votes [67.60%])

Percentage of vote: 67.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Bastiat

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostNuclear Weapon, on 20 November 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

I usually do 400, 500, 600 + with my jenner... go figure with my laserboat Hunchie... Sniper makes so lil dmg every match but gets soooo many kills... Atlas makes 700+ due his slow *** 100 tonage, else I'll do a lot more.

The thing is... -.-"

I've done over 1,000 a few times on my Jenner, and 600+ quite a few times on several different mech setups. But I consistently seeing Streakcats doing 600-900 damage; the same cannot be said for any other setup (though UAC5's are a bit questionable atm as well, but at least those require some modicum of aiming, particularly against fast mechs).

View PostVanguard319, on 20 November 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Having said this, you do realize that Streaks are short ranged weapons correct? The only reason people get kills in streakcats is because they're getting close enough to pop you. Best way to counter them is to target their missile racks, preferably at long range, and viola, problem solved, no nerf necessary.

More of this sophistry? How do you expect mechs that are slower than a Streakcat to keep range, particularly on certain maps, or when the Catapult starts base capping? And what about people in brawler mechs? Should they just cross their fingers every time they join a match, in the vain hopes that there's no Streakcat present?

Total nonsense. The current state of Streaks means that Catapults with 6 of them renders other brawler configurations obsolete by comparison.

Edited by Bastiat, 21 November 2012 - 12:01 AM.

#122 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

View PostBastiat, on 20 November 2012 - 11:58 PM, said:

I've done over 1,000 a few times on my Jenner, and 600+ quite a few times on several different mech setups. But I consistently seeing Streakcats doing 600-900 damage; the same cannot be said for any other setup (though UAC5's are a bit questionable atm as well, but at least those require some modicum of aiming, particularly against fast mechs).

oh please i managed 900 with lrm cat even after nerf - that is not ot mention my ll cat and all the fun with battle cat.

streak cat is fast agile and deadly but still need to get up close and personal - people are just tending to ignore tac info on targets among with shouts like "target X is a streak cat - keep your distance" commands to concentrate fire on target and rarely even try to disarm it instead of random pew pew (not to mention coring or shooting cabin). many also tend to freak out when they suddenly turn and see one starting to shoot at random completely forgetting positioning, covers, buddies etc

remove those and suddenly streak cat is just annoying but way less deadly.

#123 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, South Dakota

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

I've been on both sides of the equation. I think they're just right. If you spot a Streak Cat, hit and hide if you have to get in close, or stay outside of range and pelt them from afar. Call the target... have your team focus fire (even in text this can help). They're strong but by no means invincible. Just alter your tactics as you have to do with any mech you encounter.

#124 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Failpoll.

There's 3 options to agree with OP and that's it. Poll has no relevance.

#125 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

View PostReoh, on 21 November 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

Failpoll.

There's 3 options to agree with OP and that's it. Poll has no relevance.

I chuckled when I saw that the "joke option" is the one that has so far gotten the most votes.

#126 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

There are much more pressing things.
Yes Streakapults work again, but not as "easy mode" as before and other weapons (like PPC) need much more dev love.

#127 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

Yep, anyone who thinks they are balanced is still on the giving end. I'd like to think that more and more people are going to start accepting reality and supporting SSRM nerfs.

Yeah, this is the likely outcome. Most of the people replying in this thread are simply trolls who get their jollies posting flames, hence why so many didn't even realize/care you ARE the streakcat pilot, (and why their replies are excessively nasty).

Devs will probably see server data showing a disproportionate amount of damage/kills by streakcat builds, and they'll fix the balance.

I've come 360 on this issue... I posted a similar thread (got similarly flamed), then noticed that SSRMs do appear to spread damage across LCR torsos so assumed the balance was fixed this patch and recanted my post...

however having played the new patch more extensively, the majority of damage is STILL CT, with maybe some light splash on side torsos... throw in constant cockpit shake when streakcats chain fire, low heat, and fearsome CT damaqe on alpha and yeah... not sure how any other medium range brawler of similar weight class is supposed to hang toe to toe.

Some counters proposed:

1) take out their arms - good strat if you're in a heavier weight class and have armor to burn, but if you're in something like a hunchie (as I am), by the time you've taken out a single arm you're already severely damaged. Superior piloting skill and throttle management doesn't help, since you can't throw off their aim as you can with other weps.

2) stay out of their range - that's fine but I think the argument is there really is no foil to streak cats at medium range. And even if you are a long range build, it's not like these maps are a flat plain and you can easily waste the streakcat before it gets close... terrain works both ways, and gives streakcats some easy avenues to close the distance.

3) AMS - does a pretty **** poor job of watering down the damage actually.

4) Work as a team - I mean, sure teamwork can overcome a lot... even unbalanced builds... but it doesn't really negate that the build itself is unbalanced

#128 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yes, Streaks are bit of a problem to a Jenner.
Yes, Streakpult is the most dangerous single opponent to a Jenner.
Yes, I can still kick one's *** if he comes against me alone.

No need to nerf, just learn how to deal w/ them. If u are stupid enough to run and challenge Streakpult on open area, u deserve to die from it :D

#129 Bastiat

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostKurayami, on 21 November 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

oh please i managed 900 with lrm cat even after nerf - that is not ot mention my ll cat and all the fun with battle cat.

streak cat is fast agile and deadly but still need to get up close and personal - people are just tending to ignore tac info on targets among with shouts like "target X is a streak cat - keep your distance" commands to concentrate fire on target and rarely even try to disarm it instead of random pew pew (not to mention coring or shooting cabin). many also tend to freak out when they suddenly turn and see one starting to shoot at random completely forgetting positioning, covers, buddies etc

remove those and suddenly streak cat is just annoying but way less deadly.

You manage 600-900 (or better) with post nerf LRMs on a consistent basis? Congratulations, you must be one of the top few % of players in the game (or play exclusively in premades?). Now cut your skill by 3/4, ditch your teammates, load up a Streakcat, and get the same numbers.

And all this "keep your distance!" stuff on Streakcats just doesn't fly, sorry. What are brawler configured mechs supposed to do - only brawl when there are no Streakcats on the opposing team?

If a decent brawling player finds himself against a low-skill pilot in a laserboat Hunchback, he/she can be quite confident of a victory without taking too much damage (due to poor maneuvering and quite a bit of missing). Put that same low-skill opponent in a Streakcat, and you may suddenly be in a borderline unwinnable fight.

#130 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

You know, I was skeptical, then I played the game.
Both as a SSRM user and as a SSRM target.

They could use some downwards tweaking if you know what I mean.

#131 Nuclear Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLa Isla Bonita

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostBastiat, on 21 November 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

And all this "keep your distance!" stuff on Streakcats just doesn't fly, sorry. What are brawler configured mechs supposed to do - only brawl when there are no Streakcats on the opposing team?

If a decent brawling player finds himself against a low-skill pilot in a laserboat Hunchback, he/she can be quite confident of a victory without taking too much damage (due to poor maneuvering and quite a bit of missing). Put that same low-skill opponent in a Streakcat, and you may suddenly be in a borderline unwinnable fight.

You are supposed to pew pew instead of QQ...

GET SOME SKILLS...

This is wrote by a Jenner pilot... thanks.

P.D. Skilless pilot on a streak cat wont last 60 secs against my super OP Maxed out Jenny... just saying

Edited by Nuclear Weapon, 21 November 2012 - 12:29 AM.

#132 ian davion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

Most clan mechs use Streaks. If they don't balance them now, they will be way op when the clans come next year.

#133 Bastiat

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View PostNuclear Weapon, on 21 November 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

You are supposed to pew pew instead of QQ...

GET SOME SKILLS...

This is wrote by a Jenner pilot... thanks.

P.D. Skilless pilot on a streak cat wont last 60 secs against my super OP Maxed out Jenny... just saying

Oh man what a great retort. First there's the totally-not-overused and not-even-slightly-meaningless catch-all, "less QQ more pewpew" (that means no one should have complained about ultra-high-damage, 90 degree arcing LRMs, right?). Secondly, you presented how pro/gangsta you are by pointing out that your Jenner can do well vs a low-skill Streakcat pilot. Bravo, sir; with those two..."points," you've effectively eliminated everyone else's argument! And then you woke up.

It isn't the slightest bit relevant if your Jenner (or even everyone's Jenners) manages to defeat poorly-piloted Streakcats. How you can't see that is just beyond me.

#134 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

View PostBastiat, on 21 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

How you can't see that is just beyond me.

Trolllololols have notoriously poor vision

#135 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

If they would not shake the screen, everything would be fine for me. That's the easiest solution and no nerf. Damage etc. could all stay the same if it would be possible to steadily aim at A1s...

#136 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:01 AM

View PostGreers, on 21 November 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

If they would not shake the screen, everything would be fine for me. That's the easiest solution and no nerf. Damage etc. could all stay the same if it would be possible to steadily aim at A1s...

In addition I'd like to see damage spread more across components, as right now it still seems to be majority CT

Edited by SamizdatCowboy, 21 November 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#137 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostGreers, on 21 November 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Tell me about it, a streak-cat, already damaged, ran face first into my atlas and proceeded to brawl with me at pt blank. while circling slowly.
He almost won, against my brawl loadout (SSRMx2 UAC/5x2 MLx2 SLx2) in my prior to that undamaged atlas, simply because he ripple-fired and I couldn't see anything past the smoke, screen shake, and laser-induced HDR issues.
He still took my CT to deep red internals and didn't take my side-torsos past yellow-orange armor.

Regardless of that the shake doesn't affect where the aim reticule is, against a moving target it makes it much harder to track, and much much harder to focus fire on any specific location.

Edited by One Medic Army, 21 November 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#138 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 November 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

Tell me about it, a streak-cat, already damaged, ran face first into my atlas and proceeded to brawl with me at pt blank. while circling slowly.
He almost won, against my brawl loadout (SSRMx2 UAC/5x2 MLx2 SLx2) in my prior to that undamaged atlas, simply because he ripple-fired and I couldn't see anything past the smoke, screen shake, and laser-induced HDR issues.
He still took my CT to deep red internals and didn't take my side-torsos past yellow-orange armor.

Had the same problems in my Atlas. Thats why I'd like them to remove the massive screenshake from those puny missiles. They want to make an AC20-Screenshake wopping. Can't imagine anything more wopping than SSRM-Chainfire other than knocking down the whole mech :D

#139 Nuclear Weapon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLa Isla Bonita

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostBastiat, on 21 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Oh man what a great retort. First there's the totally-not-overused and not-even-slightly-meaningless catch-all, "less QQ more pewpew" (that means no one should have complained about ultra-high-damage, 90 degree arcing LRMs, right?). Secondly, you presented how pro/gangsta you are by pointing out that your Jenner can do well vs a low-skill Streakcat pilot. Bravo, sir; with those two..."points," you've effectively eliminated everyone else's argument! And then you woke up.

It isn't the slightest bit relevant if your Jenner (or even everyone's Jenners) manages to defeat poorly-piloted Streakcats. How you can't see that is just beyond me.

Thats right... because when streaks only hit torso/center was a better world xD

and just FYI, I couldnt care less about LRM's beign OP I would just find another way to deal with them... same way I did in the past:

Stay in the open and you will get hurt... hide and our lights will find you... streaks? I can aim from a longer distance than 270 mts... ppl crying out loud because they get killed just make baby jesus cry blood tears sir. and that might be you...

On the other hand like WE ALL KNOW this is not a 1 player/ solo game... you need a team and... If you and YOUR team cant find a way to deal with streaks then maybe you should think about playing http://www.hellokittyonline.com/ instead.

But then again, lets nerf them so I can sneak behind you without warnings and regrets.. I obviously couldnt care less... I'll find a way to DEAL WITH IT... and PEW PEW instead of QQ

Think deeply when u read " Less QQ and more Pew Pew " next time :D

ooooh and then again... GET SOME SKILLS ;)

Edited by Nuclear Weapon, 21 November 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#140 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

Just a thought:
In TT SSRMs hit with the same frequency as normal SRMs, but when they hit all missiles hit, and when they missed it didn't use ammo. Comparing their performance over time, they did slightly better damage/time, and used a decent amount less ammo/time.
So why not leave their damage and tracking as-is, and just give them a bit extra cooldown so they're closer to the TT versions, which only did slightly better damage/time, but had much less ammo consumption compared to normal SRM2s.

Edited by One Medic Army, 21 November 2012 - 01:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users