Nerf Streak Missiles

445 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks (713 member(s) have cast votes)

Nerf Streaks?

1. Abandon all pretense, just nerf them out of existence for the sake of it (43 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

2. They need a slight nerf (188 votes [26.37%])

Percentage of vote: 26.37%

3. They're fine (joke option) (482 votes [67.60%])

Percentage of vote: 67.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostRiver Walker, on 20 November 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

Just like thy said they bring back Collision and fix the Net Cod that make a light as strong as a heavy.
It was a outstanding idea to make a the SSRM 100% to deal with the lights hordes in the game.

Yeah, and? Netcode and missile spread are two entirely different issues.

#82 Society

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

I really think you need some actual cheese with your whine, since ssrm's aren't the cheese you seem to think they are.

How to beat SSRM

- Use terrain to your advantage to break lock.
- Don't hang out within 270 meters of somebody boating ssrm's.
- Have an AMS

Seriously, I don't see the problem with them. They're only truly dangerous on an A1 or in smaller numbers against light mechs like jenners. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're a jenner pilot who got used to "owning" everybody because there was no counter to your speed. Well, now there is. Suck it up.

#83 Alex Novian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNew Vandenburg, Taurian Concordat

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Would be nice if AMS stopped streaks.

They do, to a point. once out to 150m i think or close to it it does come into effect. tho most Streak Pilots launch the full volly which ovrecomes the single AMS.

I've had in many brawls several AMS track the streaks I've fired and compleatly wipe them out before getting to the target.

May just be my misfortune to be the only one with missles in the middle of a spread out enemy formation :angry:

#84 AC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

They do too much damage for a weapon system that is firing two measly missiles! They need a longer lockon time and a longer reload time. In BT, streaks took a longer time to lock on because every warhead in your missile pack had to get a positive lock on the enemy. But that is also why they all hit.

And the reload times (for nearly all weapons) is getting insane. People ***** about heat issues, but that is just beause weapons can fire about 3x faster on average. Low heat weapons like Gauss and SSRM2 make out like bandits with this system.

#85 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

If streaks are always hitting center torso and generate less heat then standard SRMs then yeah they need to be adjusted. As for always hitting after getting a lock well that is how they're suppose to work so all this 'easy mode' nonsense needs to stop. On the other hand maybe they should get rid of some other 'easy mode' stuff like the entire HUD and make us eye ball our shots and keep track of ammo armor in our heads

Edited by Fabe, 20 November 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#86 Captain Chloroform

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Appropriate adjustments in regard to the "same ol' way you like to play" is what should be happening. Not godlike expectations to mediocre skill (while boasting being the best). I like being feared by when launching ssrm's, but i also like to face a challenge when surviving against them too.

#87 Pugnacious Stoat

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Light mech pilots don't have a problem with being vulnerable--they have a problem with not being given a fair shot against equally or less skilled players. The solution to the lagshield problem is to fix the netcode, so that pilots can match their aiming and maneuvering skills in battle. It is not to give ssrm boaters a weapon that guarantees victory over smaller mechs in close range (and is pretty darn effective against most everything else), while requiring a minimal level of skill. Sure, a good streak boater will use terrain, jump jets, and maneuvering to maximize the benefits of his extremely wide firing arc, but none of that is necessary to be effective with the configuration, especially when fighting lights.

Meanwhile, what can the light mechs do to counter? Stay outside of 270m? That's incompatible with the way lots of light builds play--you arm yourself with close range weapons, and get in tight where you have a better chance at outmaneuvering enemy mechs and getting a shot at their rear armor. If the streak boater has positioned himself with the main enemy force, staying out of his kill radius can mean removing yourself from the battle entirely. Use cover to break locks? That could work in the city, but not on open maps. Shoot the ears off? Good luck focusing them down under fire before you get taken apart. Light mechs don't have the firepower to go toe to toe, when all of the enemy's shots are guaranteed to hit home. They rely on their maneuverability to stay alive long enough to do damage, and the current streak implementation negates that advantage, no matter how hard you try to use it.

#88 Infavol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

I just don't like weapons that lock on and take no skill. They should be inherently worse than any weapon that requires skill.

ahem,gausscats,lrms etc, dont be a fruit

#89 NovaFusion

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationIn drop ship....Scouting the landscpape

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

I just don't like weapons that lock on and take no skill. They should be inherently worse than any weapon that requires skill.

Actually the difference between a good streak cat and bad is huge.....Yes they do lock but to use scat effectively it takes more than just a lock on

oh hey cpt midnight long time no see. Stop by once in a while

#90 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

I do play the game. I dont run streaks, so its a fair and honest question which would have been better answered yes or no than, and I'm paraphrasing here, " I'm an asshat and I want everyone to know it"

So again. Is it so that an SRM2 generates more heat per salvo than a streak srm2? If so that seems wrong. If they generate the same heat per salvo then it seems like the way it should work. Sometimes people need to remember there are no weapon stats available in game (for some unknown reason). Nobody should get a snarky answer for asking about somebodies claim to weapon stats.

View PostUltrabeast, on 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Have you played this game? SRM's put out far more heat than SSRMM's and actually require aiming. How does that make sense?

#91 Kanaric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

They're fine, ******** newb.

If you can't kill a 6 SSRS catapult as a equal or heavier mech you are bad and should just uninstall and go back to an easymode game like WoW

#92 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Add in a "buff them" option, please.

#93 Pocket Psycho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

I can't wait till Clans are here with SSRM6's rather than the 2's that we have now, oh the tears, they be delicious.

#94 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

I just ran several games with it....and I feel like a real McA$$hole

The damage boost wasn't justified, IMO. They should have just left it at the spread.

#95 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostPocket Psycho, on 20 November 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

I can't wait till Clans are here with SSRM6's rather than the 2's that we have now, oh the tears, they be delicious.

Then the tears will trigger a series of nerfs and they'll become useless.

Then lights will say (while maintaining a straight face) that they're just fine.

Edited by Sephlock, 22 November 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#96 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

If you are a fast mech and you are in front of his 3-9-line (i.e. in front of him) then you either need to pull back behind cover and extend ... or run past him in a slashing attack and target one of the ears (or the CT if it is already cracked). Your main objective should be to either avoid it and let your heavier units deal with it, or else use your speed to get around it and get at him from the sides or from behind and keep picking away at his ears. He can have at most around 40 armor on each one. Even a light generally will do 20 damage on an alpha strike so 3-5 well placed volleys should kill a box.

If anything were to be done about SSRMs I would say maybe reduce the impulse value (shake) by a slight amount ... but that'd be about it.

#97 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

There was no difference in CBT (the tabletop) between SRMs and Streak SRMs as far as targeting was concerned. The only difference is if the Streak rack obtains a lock it fires and ALL of the missiles hit ... always (though they still roll for random locations like everything else). If they don't obtain a lock then they don't fire and no heat is generated.

View PostAC, on 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

They do too much damage for a weapon system that is firing two measly missiles! They need a longer lockon time and a longer reload time. In BT, streaks took a longer time to lock on because every warhead in your missile pack had to get a positive lock on the enemy. But that is also why they all hit.

And the reload times (for nearly all weapons) is getting insane. People ***** about heat issues, but that is just beause weapons can fire about 3x faster on average. Low heat weapons like Gauss and SSRM2 make out like bandits with this system.

#98 Twisp

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBed

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hey, screw everything I said before.

Now that Ive actually encountered more than one streakcat that doesnt have his head so far up his arse that his prostate and his brain are one and the same, I'd like to confirm that, no, the damage does not spread. It still goes pretty much straight for the CT, and wrecks it. There's no way to outrun them, and unless you're in a group, no one's going to focus them down for you - seeing as you certainly can't do crap to counter them. The shake they cause is leagues worse than those freakin' 4xs with quad ACs.

Hell, I outdamaged by a commando with 2 SSRM2s, because there was absolutely nothing I could do to get away. I couldnt even try to spread the damage, because whether I liked it or not, SOME part of my torso would come off before I could even get a bead on the little ****.

Please, this is unplayable. I dont even try to counter streakcats anymore. I just stop dead and let them kill me.

#99 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yep, anyone who thinks they are balanced is still on the giving end. I'd like to think that more and more people are going to start accepting reality and supporting SSRM nerfs.

#100 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostTwisp, on 20 November 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Hey, screw everything I said before.

Now that Ive actually encountered more than one streakcat that doesnt have his head so far up his arse that his prostate and his brain are one and the same, I'd like to confirm that, no, the damage does not spread. It still goes pretty much straight for the CT, and wrecks it. There's no way to outrun them, and unless you're in a group, no one's going to focus them down for you - seeing as you certainly can't do crap to counter them. The shake they cause is leagues worse than those freakin' 4xs with quad ACs.

Hell, I outdamaged by a commando with 2 SSRM2s, because there was absolutely nothing I could do to get away. I couldnt even try to spread the damage, because whether I liked it or not, SOME part of my torso would come off before I could even get a bead on the little ****.

Please, this is unplayable. I dont even try to counter streakcats anymore. I just stop dead and let them kill me.

...I use a tri-SSRM Commando. I see the missiles hit LT and RT reasonably often. Mostly because I work in concert with other mechs, and as such, I strafe the sides.

Earlier today, My commando went up against one mounting PURELY SSRMs. Guess what? I survived. I lost both arms, both side torsos, and had orange health on my CT. But you should have seen the the other guy! XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users