Nerf Streak Missiles

445 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks (713 member(s) have cast votes)

Nerf Streaks?

1. Abandon all pretense, just nerf them out of existence for the sake of it (43 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

2. They need a slight nerf (188 votes [26.37%])

Percentage of vote: 26.37%

3. They're fine (joke option) (482 votes [67.60%])

Percentage of vote: 67.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Vernius Ix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOscar Mike

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

50% damage reduction sounds appropriate, or have them randomly target ANY component. They need to be less insanely OP.

This patch was a BIG mistake. Streaks are very, very bad for the game right now. I've been getting top damage top kills in my streak A1 for 3 games running and it takes no skill and is no fun to use.

Please, this is hotfix worthy IMO but at least in the next patch you need to nerf these out of existence!

L2P

#42 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDas Amerikas (The US)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

50% damage reduction sounds appropriate, or have them randomly target ANY component. They need to be less insanely OP.

This patch was a BIG mistake. Streaks are very, very bad for the game right now. I've been getting top damage top kills in my streak A1 for 3 games running and it takes no skill and is no fun to use.

Please, this is hotfix worthy IMO but at least in the next patch you need to nerf these out of existence!

I agree. I said after last patch they were fine, and any competent Streak Cat would destory any lights or mediums around. Now they're insanely out of control and have cockpit knock back again. Hello? A weapon that requires no aim does insane damage and makes no heat? How about making SRM's do the same damage with no heat? They actually require aiming.

#43 Vlad Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 November 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

And yet... they still dominate any match they are in. Even with all their.. uhm.. shortcomings.

Uh, sorry, but I could probably "dominate any match I'm in" with a Centurion if I needed to.

"Dominating" a bunch of brand new players in trial Mechs and non-upgraded Hunchbacks isn't anything to be proud of.

#44 TungstenWall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Commando pilot here.

SSRMs are fine.

If a mech is built specifically to kill me (Streak Cat) then I deserve to die trying to brawl with them. I carry a TAG so my friends can kill him for me :(

#45 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostUltrabeast, on 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

I agree. I said after last patch they were fine, and any competent Streak Cat would destory any lights or mediums around. Now they're insanely out of control and have cockpit knock back again. Hello? A weapon that requires no aim does insane damage and makes no heat? How about making SRM's do the same damage with no heat? They actually require aiming.

wait.. do ssrms not have the same heat as srms?

I think the balancing needs to be in the locking mechanic itself. Slight modifications to the time it takes to acquire a lock, the ease at which the lock is broken could add the missing skill factor back in and aid in balance. Other options could be playing with the fight speed of the missile (so that locks could conceivably be broken in flight) or adjusting the re-fire rate to tone down overall damage, or forcing the player to re-acquire lock after each salvo.

#46 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

wow pretty much no one says they are OP. one thing I agree with the majority on

#47 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 20 November 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

The A1 is the only mech where streaks are a massive issue - thats what needs to be addressed - not the streaks themselves

this

streaks before this patch were weak as ****. i run a commando with 3 streaks on it and i couldn't even hurt anything. now i am back to killing lights, like before the nerf

i realise that no one likes streak cats but that's not a reason to nerf streaks, anymore than guass cats are a reason to nerf guass's

#48 Merrik Starchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

I just don't like weapons that lock on and take no skill. They should be inherently worse than any weapon that requires skill.

Just because a weapon has a locking function does not mean it requires no skill. It requires a different skill, in the case of streaks the ability to get into range without being killed and stay there and the ability to keep you opponent from using cover.

All short range weapons require the same skills you say? why that's true! they also all (cept MG's) do more damage and/or require less tonnage and slots, and or have no ammo which explodes when you shoot it.

Streaks are balanced. My guess is you drive a light mech and like that its hard for most weapons to hit you. Streaks are the scissors to the paper jenner, to the atlas brawlers rock and so on.

#49 Cpt Jason McCarthy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationSomewhere ...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

You are so bad that you need to nerf eveything you're not playing with ? Lol

#50 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 20 November 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Uh, sorry, but I could probably "dominate any match I'm in" with a Centurion if I needed to.

"Dominating" a bunch of brand new players in trial Mechs and non-upgraded Hunchbacks isn't anything to be proud of.

And I could "probably" dominate any match im in with a jenner if i needed to. Actually I do, and did, before knockdowns were removed even.

Something to note here - Most matches are a brawl. Can we guess what range a brawl takes place in?

#51 Bastiat

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostMerrik Starchaser, on 20 November 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Just because a weapon has a locking function does not mean it requires no skill. It requires a different skill, in the case of streaks the ability to get into range without being killed and stay there and the ability to keep you opponent from using cover.

All short range weapons require the same skills you say? why that's true! they also all (cept MG's) do more damage and/or require less tonnage and slots, and or have no ammo which explodes when you shoot it.

Streaks are balanced. My guess is you drive a light mech and like that its hard for most weapons to hit you. Streaks are the scissors to the paper jenner, to the atlas brawlers rock and so on.

You obviously didn't read the OP, or you wouldn't have guessed that he was piloting a light mech (hint: he states explicitly that he's playing in a Streakcat).

Streaks are currently overpowered, and I don't think anyone can objectively argue otherwise. The damage that they're putting out in comparison to other weapons (even UAC5's, which may also need a little bit of toning down), is simply too high. I don't think I've noticed any Streakcat do less than 600 damage since the patch, and the first one that I ran across did over 900 (and cored an Atlas astoundingly fast, right before he killed two more people).

The, "just stay >270 meters away LOL!" advice is utterly useless. What are you supposed to do when a Streakcat is capping your base - stand back at 280 meters where you can't even get LOS to shoot at him? Many players also build their mechs explicitly for close-range brawling; they shouldn't have their builds nullified by a Streakcat.

As it stands right now, the damage on Streaks just needs to come down a bit. I think that having them spread out too much would be a poor fix, and make it nearly impossible to finish off any almost-cored mech in a timely manner. Increasing lock-on time would probably make them too difficult to use effectively on light mechs, and would negatively affect builds that aren't currently abusing them.

Edited by Bastiat, 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#52 hashinshin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

I'm just waiting for you guys to see double UAC/5 cataphracts and **** your pants if you think streaks are the best. Streak boats are like middle tier at best right now.

Edited by hashinshin, 20 November 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#53 Quad Ace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

I just don't like weapons that lock on and take no skill. They should be inherently worse than any weapon that requires skill.

It's really quite simple, they are. I drive a commando, at best 3 missile slots. I can get 6 guided missiles, or 18 unguided ones. An alpha of 15 guided (which spreads over the target), or an alpha of 54 unguided (but potentially all placed on one section of the target).

So, I can use skill for bunches of damage, or trade damage for usability.

#54 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 20 November 2012 - 05:06 PM, said:

And I could "probably" dominate any match im in with a jenner if i needed to. Actually I do, and did, before knockdowns were removed even.

Something to note here - Most matches are a brawl. Can we guess what range a brawl takes place in?

Good! We're going in the right direction.

Now, tell me what kind of Alpha damage most Brawlers are able to put out. Is it >30? It should be. How about their armor levels? Higher than a Catapult? Should be.

If a Brawler loses a straight fight against a Streakcat, that brawler is bloody terrible.

#55 Redmond Spiderhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yeah I generally choose SRM 6 over 2 SSRM 2s. or usually 2 SRM 4s. There is something to be said for being able to launch your missiles without waiting for a lock, and being the hit and runner that I am I love to zip in and unload at close range and run away. If you dont plan on your SRM being your main weapon they are very effective suppliment when used in just the right situation.

#56 Salient

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 538 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

They are too busy implementing 3rd person / world of mech changes to nerf streak missiles.

#57 Jaynis

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'll take a Catapult-C4 with 4x SRM 6s ANY DAY over an A1 with 6 SSRMs. More alpha, more punch, and two energy hardpoints for back up.

In fact 1 on 1, I'll always beat out a Streakcat, unless I horrible screw up on my end. The only disadvantage I have over a Streak is against lights with a ping of over 100 or more. I alpha'd quite a few Jenners and Commandos with this classic C4 build.

In fact the A1 with 6x SRMs isn't bad either, but is a bit more difficult to get a good build than with the C4.

And Salient, 3rd person was an option in MWs 2-4. Complain about something original for once.

Edited by 7thD3adlyS1n, 20 November 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#58 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

or have them randomly target ANY component.

They do.

#59 random51

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Between last patch and this patch streaks were worthless. Before that they were a bit too strong.

Now they seem just about right.

If you have a problem with streakcats I'd say the problem is with the chassis, not the weapon. Get used to it, with LRMs not worth the cost to of ammo you can expect every other catapult build to become more common, streakcats, guasscats, ac20cats, etc.

On top of that streaks are the only weapon that counters the proliferation of lag armor. Until the lag armor is fixed I think the streaks need to be if anything stronger, not weaker.

#60 JagdpantherX

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

This is coming from a 3x streak mando player, Streaks are now OP again. They are very reliable moderate damage and it takes a long time to ever run out of them. That may not sound like much at first, but then you must realize that my turret doesn't even have to actually aimed at the enemy to hit them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users