Nerf Streak Missiles

445 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks (713 member(s) have cast votes)

Nerf Streaks?

1. Abandon all pretense, just nerf them out of existence for the sake of it (43 votes [6.03%])

Percentage of vote: 6.03%

2. They need a slight nerf (188 votes [26.37%])

Percentage of vote: 26.37%

3. They're fine (joke option) (482 votes [67.60%])

Percentage of vote: 67.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Keifomofutu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

So damage per streak missile is what now? Its not 2.5 per missile like srms are anymore?

#62 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDas Amerikas (The US)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostRedmond Spiderhammer, on 20 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

wait.. do ssrms not have the same heat as srms?

I think the balancing needs to be in the locking mechanic itself. Slight modifications to the time it takes to acquire a lock, the ease at which the lock is broken could add the missing skill factor back in and aid in balance. Other options could be playing with the fight speed of the missile (so that locks could conceivably be broken in flight) or adjusting the re-fire rate to tone down overall damage, or forcing the player to re-acquire lock after each salvo.

Have you played this game? SRM's put out far more heat than SSRMM's and actually require aiming. How does that make sense?

#63 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

You're mad because streaks are actually hitting their targets now like a lock on weapon should? It's two missiles! Cry about something serious like the lack of camoflage feature we were told would be in this patch!

#64 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostButane9000, on 20 November 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

You're mad because streaks are actually hitting their targets now like a lock on weapon should? It's two missiles! Cry about something serious like the lack of camoflage feature we were told would be in this patch!

I don't care if they hit their target. The fact that they do far more damage per heat than SRM's which actually require aiming on top of cockpit shakes is a little silly. People were crying for a month about LRM's because they did too much damage without aiming required. Where is the whining now about SSRM's?

#65 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostUltrabeast, on 20 November 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

I don't care if they hit their target. The fact that they do far more damage per heat than SRM's which actually require aiming on top of cockpit shakes is a little silly. People were crying for a month about LRM's because they did too much damage without aiming required. Where is the whining now about SSRM's?

SSRMs require you to be at 270 meters and don't due the dps of the LRMs. THey actually have pretty valid downsides for how effective they are.

Edited by Noth, 20 November 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#66 Ultrabeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostNoth, on 20 November 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

SSRMs require you to be at 270 meters and don't due the dps of the LRMs. THey actually have pretty valid downsides for how effective they are.

Most LRM boats were slow, so range actually mattered. You know how fast streak cats with the best XL and elite unlocked are? It's not very hard to stay near 270m range. Not to mention jumpjets to get you in/out of wherever you want to be.

#67 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostUltrabeast, on 20 November 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

Damage and heat are the exact same as SRM2, with the downside of greater weight and more expensive ammo. So stop talking bs! Tech2 weapons are meant to be better than tech1 stuff!

Edited by Shredhead, 20 November 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#68 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Fix AMS so it shoots them down.

#69 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

View Postw0rm, on 20 November 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

dance with me close you die. keep your range and i'm toast.

Yeah pretty much. Though being mainly a medium brawler myself, I've often flanked, snuck up on and torn apart streak boats. I can destroy one arm before they can react and by that time I'm already working on the second and have a serious weapons and knock advantage. Timing shots and using knock to your advantage is a big part of the art of brawling....

...most people just try taking the shot the instant a weapon recycles.

That said, if they get the drop on me, I'm usually screwed.

Knowing a streak boat has such a short range, its a damned safe bet that any intelligent opponent would be firing on it from a safe distance at their leisure and plucking their ears off leaving them completely impotent.

It takes a measure of skill for a short ranged mech to close in on targets that have weapon ranges up to nearly 4x as long....

...streak boats are particularly vulnerable considering what massive targets their weapon arms are and that its so easy to completely disarm the mech.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with streaks or streak boats. They're pretty easy to counter and largely rely on catching opponents unaware.

#70 MrDingDong

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

View PostCaptain Midnight, on 20 November 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

50% damage reduction sounds appropriate, or have them randomly target ANY component. They need to be less insanely OP.

This patch was a BIG mistake. Streaks are very, very bad for the game right now. I've been getting top damage top kills in my streak A1 for 3 games running and it takes no skill and is no fun to use.

Please, this is hotfix worthy IMO but at least in the next patch you need to nerf these out of existence!

dont whine noob

#71 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

ironic that the day after this thread is made they buffed the streaks

Edited by Broceratops, 20 November 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#72 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I Think thy are just fine the way they are. Its been over a mouth since PGI took collision out of the game and we ended up with Light Mechs going toe to Toe with assault Mechs because of it and because of the Net Code Shield that they have enjoy at the cost of all others in the game
Thank god PGI finally gave us something to deal with thee little cockroaches at last.

THANK YOU PGI :ph34r:
You did not give use the collision back but at list you gave us something to deal with the metal Roche in the game.

Edited by River Walker, 20 November 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#73 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Missiles are supposed to be strong, get over it. Also, the poll sucks.

#74 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hey, streaks all hitting = fine. Them all hitting the CT is not fine.

#75 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

I think the poll clearly reflects how wrong you are on this.

Anyhow, at least now SSRMs' ammo price is justified.

#76 Pvt Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

Is a Streak better than a SRM 2 for a half ton difference?
Yes.

Why?
Because they always hit and hit the same location, unlike the SRM 2.

This is the problem with Streaks. I can handle them hitting %100, but unless they scatter the damage over the mech (LBX 10 Style). If they insist on hitting the same location, they have to remove the %100 accuracy. Otherwise they are just plain overpowered.

#77 Kernel Panik

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

If there is the possibility of a properly coordinated team countering any tactic there should be no changes. I think everyone has made it pretty clear that theres plenty of opportunity to beat this tactic.

If PGI makes a large swath of balance changes due to PUG n00bs whining this game will be ruined. This is not a single player game and no change should be made based on whether one mech can stand up to another. The majority of the fun that every mech game has ever brought to the table is the ability to customize your way out of problems. Coordinated team customization. Sometimes you'll get ran over. Adapt and counter next time.

#78 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostPvt Dancer, on 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yes.

Why?

This is the problem with Streaks. I can handle them hitting %100, but unless they scatter the damage over the mech (LBX 10 Style). If they insist on hitting the same location, they have to remove the %100 accuracy. Otherwise they are just plain overpowered.

They've said more than once they plan on making damage spread. Eventually it'll be fine.

#79 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postjakucha, on 20 November 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

They've said more than once they plan on making damage spread. Eventually it'll be fine.

Just like thy said they bring back Collision and fix the Net Cod that make a light as strong as a heavy.
It was a outstanding idea to make a the SSRM 100% to deal with the lights hordes in the game.

View PostPvt Dancer, on 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yes.

Why?

Like you just pointed out If I want it to spread I put a 6 pack on if not a SSRM.

#80 Abstrusity

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 69 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Oh man, new patch! Can't w ait to get out there and play mechwarrior!
Except that my new heavy mech melts under unlimited SSRM works, the catapult moves faster walking backward than I can move forward, the damage and shake never stops coming, the ammo is inexpensive because of welfare.
And so I come here to mention that maybe streaks were overtuned; I don't think they quite needed the extra damage.
But no, apparently locking onto a mech and oneshotting them requires skill.
You want skill? Learn to blueplate. Consistently. Better yet, because this is harder -- boot up UT99(unless, as I fear, these kiddos are too young to know what that is), and learn how to combo ASMD shock rifles CONSISTENTLY from 50 meters or 500.
Learn what actual skill is before claiming that, because you spent 120 dollars on a game, it means you know what skill is better than people who've been playing video games for longer than you've been alive.
/endrage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users