To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Riyal Galen

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDropship 'North Carolina'

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

I would most definitely play Clan, if I could play as an Elemental and play bloodtick to all those annoying IS Assault Class Mech Jockeys who think they are the top dogs. Then again, I would probably play a Crusader Clansmen, just to be able to pick batchalls with the silly Wardens to keep my skills up. After all, Elementals are the top piece of war machinery that any human could provide.

Since this is exclusively 'Mech on 'Mech, without the tactical flexibility of Combined-Arms combat, I guess I will be sticking around playing tag on Truebloods, I mean Trueborns with the rest of my Spheroid lancemates. After all, my wittle Combine constructed Panther will be more than happy to see how long Zellbringen lasts after a few mighty Omni-mechs get popped looking for me and my buds in a few dark alleys and parking garages. ***** the tech, it all about the C-Bills and the nice kill markers on my gun barrel. :) (Playing DCMS versus Smoked Jaguar was always a blast, Clan Whiny Puppies just weren't worth the time)

On that same note, I really hope they do not allow players to play alts. Why choose sides if you can just flip with a new charry anyways?

#142 Duffanichta

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Clan Ghost Bear Only Clan for ME :) :D

#143 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

View PostRiyal Galen, on 06 November 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

I would most definitely play Clan, if I could play as an Elemental and play bloodtick to all those annoying IS Assault Class Mech Jockeys who think they are the top dogs. Then again, I would probably play a Crusader Clansmen, just to be able to pick batchalls with the silly Wardens to keep my skills up.

Since this is exclusively 'Mech on 'Mech, without the tactical flexibility of Combined-Arms combat, I guess I will be sticking around playing tag on Truebloods, I mean Trueborns with the rest of my Spheroid lancemates. After all, my wittle Combine constructed Panther will be more than happy to see how long Zellbringen lasts after a few mighty Omni-mechs get popped looking for me and my buds in a few dark alleys and parking garages. ***** the tech, it all about the C-Bills and the nice kill markers on my gun barrel. :) (Playing DCMS versus Smoked Jaguar was always a blast, Clan Whiny Puppies just weren't worth the time)

Though I am a member of the Wolf's Dragoons, I am always first and foremost a member of Clan Wolf. Just hope I never find you surat.

#144 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

Im hoping clan and Periphery are long term NPCs. its more fun to be the underdogs against them than to force EVERYONE to play them to remain competitive

#145 Lio Lio

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNewport News Virginia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

no, not really. Personally I hope that they do not allow clan characters or mechs for that. Clan stuff is just a little to "power gamey" for me, but if they do..I wont sweat it. Hell look at my handle..I obviously love the underdog :)

#146 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

I could easily play a Clan Warrior. The Star Adders are not here so I won't but I'd have a lot of fun stomping around as on of the best Clans.

#147 jparbiter

• PipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

only because people will jump on clan anything for the tech advantage, will I now make a Blackwatch style "No Clan anything pledge" to how I play.

#148 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• 1,971 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

Well, answering to thread question: No, I'll never play clan.
There are some reasons for that.

First of all - clans are not better than any IS house - or do you really think that Kerensky, who took most deadly weapons away from IS for safety of mankind, not for honor, wanted descendants of his own followers, equipped with superior military technologies to bring war back to the IS? I'd say, he would commanded to deastroy all battlemechs and ships in place and maybe commit suicide immediately just to prevent any chance of anything like Clans will be created.
So there is no matter how clanners call describe their invasion: restoring IS, Crusade, honor - it's just a war, war for power and resourses and even worse - war of ideology. They fought each others for centuries and now think, that war and honor are only worthly things, but noone cares. War is not a sport, not a competition, not even a ritual. It's a blood and destruction, gore and flames, and there are no exuses for that. (yes, I'm kinda pacifist who gonna kill everyone who aren't :)) Especially in clan way - they haven't even try to negotiate at first, oh yes, they thought IS people haven't enoogh honor even to speak. Niiiice...

Second, but still about clan rules. Personally I dont's think clans neither better nor worse than any IS superpowers, but not every clan is the same. Of course we all know about The Turtle Bay. Is was a military crime, most unhonorable thing can be imagined. But... Where were other clans with their own honor? Did they wiped jags immediately? No. They just left them alone, when their doom came to Huntress. Is it a clan honor? Is it a clan justice? No, thanks.

But, third. I don't say I hate every clan, or think they all are totally screwed. Some of them shows, that they can recognize past mistakes. Nova Cats (strange, but noone tells anything about Nova Cats in this thread), Ghost Bears - that's a true way, way to atonement, way to re-unite with civilization.

Of course, clan tecnology are very delicious and desirable. As trophies. Comstar has superior technologies too. It's not a question of technology - IS has stopped invasion and was able to sike Jags back with they own technologies and resourses. So we'll be able too.

#149 AchtungGutenTag

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

IS all the way, mainly because I don't have a good understanding of the lore, and the RP involved in playing with the Clan seems FAR too intense. It's much easier to figure out houses (Steiner likes the big mechs? Sold!), than decide one of numerous ambigiously named groups, all with slighty different, but very complex, social structures.

#150 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

The only way I'll ever play Clan is if Ghost Bears can capture me. I'd rather die trying, though.

#151 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

I would but it would have to be Clan Wolverine just so i can show them all what a real Clan is made of.

#152 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:07 AM

View PostHollister, on 11 November 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

I would but it would have to be Clan Wolverine just so i can show them all what a real Clan is made of.

Holes?

#153 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:18 AM

Rather funny coming from a Ghost Bear who let the Wolverine escape.

Edited by Hollister, 11 November 2011 - 01:18 AM.

#154 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

I will definately play a Clanner. However I will be searching out and playing with people who want to roleplay the entire Clan experience, not just drive Omnimechs.

I will ALSO go on record as saying that if my unit and I hear about people playing 'clanners' acting like Surats we'll find them and educate them in Zellbrigen, Gauss rifle style.

The Clans do self police fairly strictly and no one likes a Dezgra bandit.

#155 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

View PostHollister, on 11 November 2011 - 01:18 AM, said:

Rather funny coming from a Ghost Bear who let the Wolverine escape.

I've got Ghost Bear in my sig because I like them, but make no mistake that I'm Davion 100%.

Also, scathing comments from a Wolverine mean so much when you have to hide for almost your entire existence.

#156 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

I like the Periphery more. It is just that the Wolverine Khan at the time just did not sit there and accept the orders from a tyranical ruler who just using the situation mainly to pull the Clans in from coming a part, and to keep them under his heel. So he needed a scapegoat to blame and force the clans to come together and Clan Wolverine was just that.

#157 yarddog

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:00 AM

View PostProgram_024, on 03 November 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

I'm torn. I like the teamwork concept of the IS, but at the same time, there is the greater sense of freedom with the clans. And on top of that, some clan mechs are pretty good

Some?

#158 Hangfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 204 posts
  • LocationToon of honest men and bonnie lassies

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

I'll leave the clanner-ing to others, and stick to playing the dregs of IS society :)

#159 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

I realy would like to play as a Clanner but it shouldnt be easy-mode. There should be trials or something so not everyone can get the best of the best!

#160 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

So a sizeable majority will play the clans given a choice,

I really don't see how the devs can avoid making them a playable faction... but how will the dev's maintain the idea that they are Elite, outnumbered and (if they care about roleplaying) a different culture!

46 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users