To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

By "interesting society" do you mean bigoted, closed-minded and generally evil? ;)

The Clans are fascinating, but they're more like the Klan here on Earth than warrior elite. The last time a few maniacs tried a "master race" tactic in our world it didn't result in victory either. The Clans show humanity at its noblest and most evil. The psuedo-honor is propped up on the backs of the "weaker". The types of feudal minded idiots that launch Crusades to prove their worth and slaughter anyone that's unworthy or in their way.

In truth they are cowards. Small minds, brain-washed into believing oppressive lies. Seduced into succeeding through oppression.

#182 Scott Bernard

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

sure, why not?

multiple characters are OK right? on my other forums I'm a clanner. but the original draw of this game when it was announced two years ago featured a timeline starting at 3015 or something. that was quite attractive to me because we'd get to live out succession war technology and savor it too.

I'm cool w/ the Clan Invasion Storyline, as long as they keep it long and drawn out. In my old tabletop years, that era was too short. lol

also, I'm not cool w/ the uber-tech of later battletech timelines. when it got into the world of all kinds of C3i and HoundDog Jammers and HAGGIS Guns, it kinda went wonky from then on.

Gimme my ugly-*** Jagermech, Atlas, Dragon, Panther, and a sweet Warhammer. And let them be free of Double Heat Sinks.

That is battletech to me :-)

#183 Scott Bernard

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

View PostDemona, on 23 November 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

By "interesting society" do you mean bigoted, closed-minded and generally evil? ;)

The Clans are fascinating, but they're more like the Klan here on Earth than warrior elite. The last time a few maniacs tried a "master race" tactic in our world it didn't result in victory either. The Clans show humanity at its noblest and most evil. The psuedo-honor is propped up on the backs of the "weaker". The types of feudal minded idiots that launch Crusades to prove their worth and slaughter anyone that's unworthy or in their way.

In truth they are cowards. Small minds, brain-washed into believing oppressive lies. Seduced into succeeding through oppression.

its ok, they got kicked in the nuts real hard at Tukkayid and more. militarily and ideologically. (when you think of it, every faction got kicked in the nuts as the years went by)

it made for great reading in the books back in the '90s. simpler times. (but not necessarily better! hahaha)

#184 Boneripper

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

Jade Falcons all the way.

#185 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

We all know the real world implications of their society, but it doesn't mean it can't be used in a fantasy setting like Btech, which is the point.

Regardless of that, the Clans can be interesting in how they read and some of their ideas (if not all,) and many of their ideals get warped and changed by their interaction to the Inner Sphere, bringing some of them back closer to actual humanity.

#186 Mr Sockpuppet

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGolden Apple Corps. Mercenary Jumpship "The Porkchop Express"

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

I've never liked IS over all as a group or even divided between houses, I've liked a few individuals from within the IS (Victor, Kai, etc) ,but I've always preferred Merc's, or Clanners.

#187 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

Whatever.

I will kill you as an IS MechWarrior.

Then I will kill you as a Clan MechWarrior.

Then once more as an IS MechWarrior to make sure you get the point.

It ain't what I'm driving. It's who's driving it. Muahahahahaha! ;)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 24 November 2011 - 10:59 AM.

#188 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Interesting to see the split in the poll - maybe the feared "rush" to the Clan's that some feared won't arrive - especially if it's not an easy choice ie they make it difficult to play Clans, perhaps having to play IS first and then undergo a Trial of Acceptance. As log as IS always outnumber clan's then I think it's doable dispite the disparity in tech.

#189 StoneRhino

• PipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hahah, that reminds me of this, because its the truth:

Edited by stonerhino, 24 November 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#190 Mordegald

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Probably not. Diamond Sharks were always my Clan, and they didn't show up on the scene in any big way until Tukayyid.

Plus, and no offense to anybody here, but some of the other Clan players I've run across get a little too into it.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't be all over a Clan 'mech like a FedSunner on a cheeseburger. Because I would be. Phoenix Hawk IIC, anyone?

#191 h1tl3r1t3

Clone

• 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Clan Wolf, Atlas IIC. Or you know, play both ends from the middle. Wolf's Dragoons.

Edited by h1tl3r1t3, 24 November 2011 - 09:53 PM.

#192 Billy Taylor

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Clan Jade Wolf will destroy you all!

#193 Saurok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

View PostMordegald, on 24 November 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Which is not to say that I wouldn't be all over a Clan 'mech like a FedSunner on a cheeseburger. Because I would be. Phoenix Hawk IIC, anyone?

That is sole reason why I approve Clans. They made some good IIC and second line designs which Sharks kindly offer to Inner Sphere buyers

#194 Datum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Stick me in the warden clans, please.

#195 Hangfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 204 posts
  • LocationToon of honest men and bonnie lassies

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:15 AM

Would I play as a clanner? Nah,, too full of themselves.
Will I use their mechs if I salvage them from the battlefield?,, That's a no brainer,

#196 StoneRhino

• PipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

View PostMordegald, on 24 November 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Probably not. Diamond Sharks were always my Clan, and they didn't show up on the scene in any big way until Tukayyid.

Plus, and no offense to anybody here, but some of the other Clan players I've run across get a little too into it.

I think the coolest thing about the clans has to be their second line mechs. I love me some 3055:original, including the IICs and Second liners.

#197 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 24 November 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

We all know the real world implications of their society, but it doesn't mean it can't be used in a fantasy setting like Btech, which is the point.

Regardless of that, the Clans can be interesting in how they read and some of their ideas (if not all,) and many of their ideals get warped and changed by their interaction to the Inner Sphere, bringing some of them back closer to actual humanity.

going off what some staunch clan supporters on this forum act and post like; I wouldn't presume to say we all know
cause you're probably the first to make an actual out-of-game point about them that's true while simultaneously
acknowledging their shortcomings. Hats off to you sir!

#198 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

View PostAaron DeChavilier, on 25 November 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

going off what some staunch clan supporters on this forum act and post like; I wouldn't presume to say we all know
cause you're probably the first to make an actual out-of-game point about them that's true while simultaneously
acknowledging their shortcomings. Hats off to you sir!

We're all flawed. That's the beauty of life and what makes us and our ideas interesting. The Clans are the same way, just like the IS. To think yourself the best/prefect or infallible is a quick way to die, be it physically, or mentally.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 29 November 2011 - 06:25 PM.

#199 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

jade falcon, go!

people shouldn't worry about the clans being unbalanced, despite what the books say. theres no way the devs would enable the option if it somehow unbalanced the game. players are almost certain to get their hands on clan tech if not at launch soon after, but when all is said and done its unlikey to give you an advantage on its own. there are lots of ways they could do this. for example normalise damage/output based on equipment lvl (have clan tech at high lvl as standard, IS from low lvl to high). i'm sure they'll come up with something.

what interests me more is how we join the clans. rolling a second character would work, but after putting time into another might anoy me. joining a clan with your character or merc corp would also work, bondsman ahoy! but you'd never be a pureblood... whatever they do, i just hope i enjoy stalking around the battlefield in my lime green mad dog-C.

#200 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

I don't really RP this kind of jazz, but suffice to say I would be very happy if I could play as a pilot for any of the following:

Clan Jade Falcon
FRR
Clan Wolf
House Marik
Ghost Bear/Smoke Jaguar/Nova Cat
Mercenary
Pirate
House Davion
House Steiner

^ List is order, top is most preferred, but I love all of them. I'll probably end up in the Draconis Combine by how things are shaping up to look, but I wouldn't mind anything. Can't wait for the game but suffice to say I would gladly play as a Clanner given the choice, and not because "LOL MY EQUIPMENT BETTER THAN YOU" but I started in Mechwarrior 2 and fell in love with their honor system, and sort of liked the idea of being some sort of autocannon-wielding samurai.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users