To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 29 November 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

We're all flawed. That's the beauty of life and what makes us and our ideas interesting. The Clans are the same way, just like the IS. To think yourself the best/prefect or infallible is a quick way to die, be it physically, or mentally.

nah its when the player base goes overboard and wont shut up with the wall
o texts - thats not different, thats just trying to drown someone else out
with your opinion

#202 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

The way I see it, the only reason the Clans exist is so I can kill them and take their 'Mechs for salvage.

#203 Tyzh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 495 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Role playing as a crazy militant honor crazed crazy man is just too fun. Jade Falcon all the way. (Warhammer IICs don't hurt my opinion, either.)

#204 Quarth

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

maybe not at first launch but a clan invasions scenario later on sounds like fun. followed by access to omni mechs.

#205 Wolvers

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAustralis

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

I'm hoping to do both at some stage, play Clan and IS. I'm more inclined to play IS though as I like the underdog, but I still prefer to take on opponents on my own, especially if I'm in a heavy or assault mech.

#206 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 24 November 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

We all know the real world implications of their society, but it doesn't mean it can't be used in a fantasy setting like Btech, which is the point.

Regardless of that, the Clans can be interesting in how they read and some of their ideas (if not all,) and many of their ideals get warped and changed by their interaction to the Inner Sphere, bringing some of them back closer to actual humanity.

I agree. I love the Clans and their role in the lore. That doesn't mean I have to like them from a real world perspective. ;)

#207 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostGI Journalist, on 29 November 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

The way I see it, the only reason the Clans exist is so I can kill them and take their 'Mechs for salvage.

I'll see you in the field surat, I might be part of the Wolf's Dragoons, but I will always be first and foremost, a Clan Wolf Warrior. May you run and hide from my Summoner, run and hide.

#208 Type ZERO

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Clan for life!

#209 Mordegald

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

View PostTyzh, on 29 November 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Role playing as a crazy militant honor crazed crazy man is just too fun.

See, if I were to RP a Clanner, I'd want to do it as a Solaris-addicted Diamond Shark merchant.

I don't rightly know why. Somehow it just seems like a fun (or possibly funny) concept.

#210 Emilie Cameron

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

Clans are the underdogs, really. They just don't realize it. Take away the superior tech and breeding programs and all you got is a wannabe samurai looking for someone to duel. Good luck with that.

View PostStormwolf, on 03 November 2011 - 02:34 PM, said:

We're not that bad, we even sent a unit ahead to prep you guys for the invasion.

A couple units over the years like the 331st Royal BattleMech Division? ;)

P.S. The diehard vets will know the reference.

#211 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

Depending on how the accounts work, I wouldn't mind making a clanner alt. But my main would definatly be IS.

I'm in it for the money.

#212 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

don't really want clans tbh, wouldnt mind being able to get some clan tech but it should remain mainly IS, it is difficult to balance their far superior tech over that of the IS>

#213 Anthony Kufahl

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Clan Coyote here and the wife is a Ghost Bear

#214 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

View PostAnthony Kufahl, on 30 November 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

Clan Coyote here and the wife is a Ghost Bear

Who's got the best genes? ^_^

#215 Armageddon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Yes! I would! Clan Wolf or Ghost Bear! =D

Edited by Armageddon, 01 December 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#216 Hitman xXx qp

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

You should use the Honor Rule as a form of money as it was the one thing that make them...them. If you break it you where cast out.

#217 Connor Macleod

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGlenfinnan, Scotland near the shores of Lock Shiel

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:06 AM

No. I never could relate to the Clans. Besides, Inner Sphere MechWarriors prove several times to be the better pilots. Not saying that clanners are pushovers. Horse Jade Falcon, Natasha Kerensky, Aidan Pryde, just to name a few Clan bad***es so you clanners don't get all butthurt. However it's the cunning of that individual IS MechWarrior, his drive, his fear, the desperation of protecting innocent civilians as well as his Lance Mates. They're willing to risk their lives, even in spite of fear, in order to protect those around and close to them. Clans are all or nothing, and in fact, it is a Clan MechWarrior's dream to go out in a blaze of glory just to earn a few words in their "Remembrance", or so their genetic substance would be used in future generations. Inner Sphere MechWarriors know the cost of losing, are scared s***less of it, but still push on, knowing they are outmanned, outgunned, and in many cases outmatched by the superior technology and the kamikaze martyrs of Clan tactics. That and the "Gattaca" mindset (for those of you who have no idea what this means, watch the movie of the same name starring Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman) that all Clans share that somehow convince themselves that just because you were born with the best genetic structure technology could provide somehow made you better than the next guy who shed blood, sweat, and tears, most of the time fighting death itself, to get to where they are now, just makes me shake my head. Give me the guy who always has my back, is just afraid as I am, curses at the same lack of luxury I do, but at the end of the day, pulls through for me in ways I could not have fathomed. I'll take that guy as my Lance Mate over any "trueborn" clanner any day. So to all you clanners out there who think you're the superior force because of your tech and your "pure" genetics, I'll be seeing you. Right in the middle of my crosshairs.

Edited by Connor Macleod, 03 December 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#218 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Wow.

You cannot relate. Cool you should have ended right there.

Better pilots my ***. The sourcebooks & novels show TIME & TIME again, that toe to toe, one on one, Clansmen were ALWAYS better. These are FACTS & cannot be denied. No simulators here pal. Live mechs, live weapons. live ammo from day one.

Placing his palms flat on the desk, Wolf leaned forward. "Now the two of us will become your instructors. Some of you have already seen battle, but even with that, the total sum of experience of those seated at this table would not equal what the average Clan warrior goes through in his training.

Protecting innocent civilians? Read a book. The IS is full of barbarians. We schedule combat trials AWAY from civilians areas. You guys always slaughtered everything in sight.

Again, read a book. It is a Clan warrior's dream to live to earn a Bloodname & see his/her genes added to the active gene pool. We do not fear death but we do not rush it either. When our time comes we meet it with courage & honor.

Knowing they are outmanned? Clansmen VOLUNTARILY reduce their numbers for a battle.

Yeah you keep your lancemates. I will keep my sibkin & when we meet on the field of battle I will give you a present from the Pentagon Worlds, carefully wrapped in a depleted uranium shell.

Merry Christmas...... ^_^

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 03 December 2011 - 09:44 AM.

#219 Connor Macleod

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationGlenfinnan, Scotland near the shores of Lock Shiel

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 03 December 2011 - 09:27 AM, said:

Wow.

You cannot relate. Cool you should have ended right there.

Better pilots my ***. The sourcebooks & novels show TIME & TIME again, that toe to toe, one on one, Clansmen were ALWAYS better. These are FACTS & cannot be denied. No simulators here pal. Live mechs, live weapons. live ammo from day one.

Protecting innocent civilians? Read a book. The IS is full of barbarians. We schedule combat trials AWAY from civilians areas. You guys always slaughtered everything in sight.

Again, read a book. It is a Clan warrior's dream to live to earn a Bloodname & see his/her genes added to the active gene pool. We do not fear death but we do not rush it either. When our time comes we meet it with courage & honor.

Knowing they are outmanned? Clansmen VOLUNTARILY reduce their numbers for a battle.

Yeah you keep your lancemates. I will keep my sibkin & when we meet on the field of battle I will give you a present from the Pentagon Worlds, carefully wrapped in a depleted uranium shell.

Merry Christmas...... ^_^

Then I will look for you on the field next year, and I will send you a ion charged particle blast in return.

Happy Fourth of July :lol:

Oh and I have read Battletech books. Quoting one of my favorite MechWarriors, David MaCarthy, formerly of the 1st Kathil Uhlans, then of the Kathil CMM "We always tried to spare civilians the horrors of war.... Even on Huntress." (Yes I'm paraphrasing; I don't currently have the book in front of me) Said to Amanda, a MechWarrior subordinate under his command, after a simulation. Amanda, not yet a true veteran of war, inflicted over a hundred civilian casualties with stray shots. David, on the other hand, inflicted 3 casualties due to stray shots, and was VISIBLY UPSET, even though it was only a simulation. Amanda then went on to pilot her Bushwacker during the first battles of the FedCom Civil War on Kathil, so mindful of the potential collateral damage that she refused to fire to risk innocent casualties. I'm not saying there weren't units shooting up everybody like they were at a turkey shoot, and no I didn't read any of the books containing in detail the events of Operation Bulldog except for this one that had one battle that took up maybe a chapter (The name of the book is Flashpoint BTW) so even though my view may be wrong, I did in fact READ A BOOK as you suggested.

Oh and the assumption that IS are better pilots than the Clans came from the BattleTech Tabletop game, where it was understood that the average piloting skill of Clan was 4 and IS was 5.

Finally, I never stated the Clan Warriors were cowards or incompetent fools. Their views just disagree with me.

P.S. If the Clan MechWarriors didn't rush to seek death, then why do they dread reaching old age? Case and Point, Clan Jade Falcon member Joanna from the book "Freebirth" resenting the fact that she was well into her 40s and did not die with her unit, the Falcon Guards.

Edited by Connor Macleod, 03 December 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#220 DICCCE

• Pip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

only issue I ever had with the clans is their refusal to adept to the inner sphere tactics. They did eventually but it always seemed late. I understand the honor and all but if the other side does not honor a code what is the point...

on the real topic though. Yes I would do clan, they always seemed very interesting to me. The whole set up of their systems of life was also unique. Then again I studied culture and history for school so go fig.

regardless all of them have interesting plus and minus settings and if we get the option to play a arc for a group of them I will take the opportunity and enjoy the experience.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users