Battletech Melee Weapons

261 replies to this topic

Poll: BattleTech melee weapons (816 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be BattleTech melee weapons

1. Voted Yes (693 votes [84.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.93%

2. Voted No (123 votes [15.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

you lost me with the piledriver, but i agree with the rest and last i heard they are working on it.

#42 rockmin

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAsia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

if melee can be classified as short range weapon, then the option to " throw " the weapon should be available as a last resort. Mech down to it's last leg or arm and stuff.
After throwing the weapon then the mech can only use its ranged weapons.
The melee weapon thrown shouldn't be able to be picked up. But if allowed then i'd say only for the remainder of the battle.

but then again i think it'll take a while before this will actually work properly.

it'll be fun to see a melee match game in the future.

#43 Klaa

• PipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 70 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

Only for mechs with hand actuators obviously.

It would be great to have. Afaik hand actuators haven't had any love since the tabletop Battletech. Well as far as the PC and console games go.

Should specialized melee weapons be purchased separately?

Id certainly like a freebie option of tearing the arm off of a downed enemy mech. Not as effective but works in a pinch.

#44 Fastfire

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Postrockmin, on 04 April 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

if melee can be classified as short range weapon, then the option to " throw " the weapon should be available as a last resort. Mech down to it's last leg or arm and stuff.
After throwing the weapon then the mech can only use its ranged weapons.
The melee weapon thrown shouldn't be able to be picked up. But if allowed then i'd say only for the remainder of the battle.

but then again i think it'll take a while before this will actually work properly.

it'll be fun to see a melee match game in the future.

Melee weapons are usualy hardwired to the mech, throwing them would be impossible, except you would throw the whole arm of the mech,

But anyway, yes, would be nice to have them *if* they get restricted to certain designs, seeing every mech running arround with solaris IV equipment would be stupid...

Edited by Fastfire, 05 April 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#45 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

I voted yes couse the hand takes up critical space for no reason

#46 fowl WarDog

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 19 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

now I haven't played the table top, so I don't have that connection there, but I personally just can't see it. I'm not gonna lie, I love mechs and mecha or whatever you call it, so I've played Armored Core and loved the heck outta it and it's melee mechanics. This however is mechwarrior, we don't have fancy shields, anime-esque designs, or over the top mobility. to me anyway Mechwarrior is the rough-and-tumble, gritty, brute-force, hell even crude type of game, we don't fly around crossing laser swords!

now lemme just repeat that I have no previous experience regarding mechwarrior/battle tech melee stuffs, I'm just a fan having played nothing before MW4, and as such I have a hard time seeing this. I know the humanoid mechs have hands, but I don't see them swinging an axe or something with enough force to do damage, look at the atlases(not sure if the atlas is on the melee capable list or not) swinging a sword horizontally with one arm (no way it could two hand it), the torso twist is slow as frick! and even if you say something like "oh but it's got almost 100 tons of force behind it" it still sounds ridiculous.

I'm just saying this is where I'm coming from, I know people will disagree- especially those who have experience with previous implementations of melee- but the current mwo gameplay feels familiar to me, and melee sounds as foreign to mechwarrior as magic.

#47 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

Battlemechs do NOT do fancy sword work. Don't worry about that. The axes are pretty much just big, heavy, wedge shaped pieces of steel with depleted uranium edges. They don't "swipe horizontally" or "block" or "pirouette". They raise them and crash them straight down in front of them. For punches, they just shoot the fist straight out in front. And kicks are awkward forward raises of the leg.

I'll vote yes. Kick has always been a staple of last ditch use. That would be great for the circling little ones under your feet. It's leg to leg damage, which a light doesn't want under an assault... to be legged. I can see short range ballistic as the base code damage, with slow projectile speed, but WIDE effect area. As for the draw back... make the mech kicking rock like getting hit by an AC20. That way you can't "kung fu" kick and shoot at the same time and hope to hit anything.

#48 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

If you want a idea of how graceful and elegant battlemech melee combat might be imagine a couple of these fighting it out. Posted Image

#49 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostFabe, on 07 June 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

If you want a idea of how graceful and elegant battlemech melee combat might be imagine a couple of these fighting it out. Posted Image

you mean like this:
Posted Image

OMG i just realized!

they need to make a mechwarrior game where the only mechs you get are the industrial mechs and you have to fight it out with those.

#50 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

SO 6 mg spiders would just literally leg-Hump assaults until they`ve humped a hole into their knee, then stick the mgs into the hole and crit away the actuators? :ph34r:

#51 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postblinkin, on 07 June 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

you mean like this:
Posted Image

OMG i just realized!

they need to make a mechwarrior game where the only mechs you get are the industrial mechs and you have to fight it out with those.

well maybe this would be more accurate

#52 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

im afraid that 3pv will kill this game b4 they implement even simple collision (at least for me).
but anyway i would LOVE to see some melee combat in this game, it will make my beloved AWS-9M even greater and fun, not to mention specialized melee mechs with masc.
and its really easy to balance out things for melee combat just make melee weapons or limbs of mechs take damage every time it strikes anything, so it will have "limited" amount of ammo, which will make impossible for berserker or axeman to chop enemy's entire enemy team into small pieces.
the only issues that worries me is "kamikaze" moves from almost dead light and med or any other mechs what capable of that
just going in and ramming the aforementioned atlas and taking out his leg for example.

Edited by BigMekkUrDakka, 08 June 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#53 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 21 November 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

Here is a preview of an Atlas vs a scout if Melee damage is implemented;

Posted Image

LOL. :P

#54 Oogalook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

There is definitely a place for melee weaponry in the game.

First, once falling and tripping are implimented, you could perhaps have a chance to shove an opponent down or push it back a bit in order to get some breating space.

Second, damage-dealing melee weapons would be the robo-bee's knees. You may notice that the Centurion, Dragon, and Awesome each have a useless or near-useless arm, and also that they tend to be among the fastest mechs of their respective weight groups. These guys BEG for some nice hatchets or chainsaws, to make those arms fit in better.

Third, being able to shove with your arms (if not to weild an actual damaging weapon) would be the very coolest thing that this earth ever saw. It's the difference between World of Tanks and Battlefield- a human instinct to lash out at close quarters is satisfied, and it adds immersion. Certain mechs don't have useable arms, and while certainly functional in their own way, they would be unable to shove or punch like a good ol' Atlas. This would make the low-down placement of full-arm weapons be less of a disadvantage, since you get the added close-in functionality.

PGI, Please add melee to the game. I ache to punch some of these guys in the big, metal face.

#55 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

YES, I'd love to see the arms using a physical attack instead of being loaded with PPC's

#56 Pinselborste

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

meleeweapon for my atlas would be a commando :)

#57 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

If you think about it.. melee could be introduced in this game already.

Add:

- Swing melee arm+weapon animation.
- Melee weapon contact with enemy animation.
- Heavy rocking effect upon melee weapon impact on target
- 'Melee' hardpoints in mechs with arms.

Just give the weapons 5m range no matter what mech it is (keep it simple stupid).

Melee weapons need to come in different sizes. Small, medium, large and very large.

The size of each weapon literally consumes the majority, if not all of the slots on a mech's arm. This prevents a spider from carrying a massive sword meant for an assault for example.

Combat with the melee weapon should also make use of existing mechanics.

When the melee weapon is activated (its a toggle) all of the mech's weapons get disabled until the melee weapon is de-activated.

'Swinging' the weapon is simple: It follows the arm aimpoint.
Like any weapon, it has a 'refire' timer before you can have the mech's arm swing with enough power to inflict damage.

Damage is applied via hit detection just like a laser.

... and this melee system also opens the possibility of mechs having shields rather than weapons. The shield would have hit points and weigh a lot..and the mech can use it to hide behind when fire is coming in or to advance on a firing target.

#58 TB Azrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 10 March 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

It'd be nice if the Yen-Lo could use/have its Hatchet...

Huh, where did you get that from? Justin had metal blades/spikes put on the left hand of either a Vindi or maybe Yen for one battle and there was some eluding too an far desendant adding a hatchet but that's about it.

While I would like to see some Melee eventually, they have enough core issues they need to fix to survive as it is let alone complicating it more with melee.

#59 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

Melee combat is some thing the devs would like to have in the game. Unfortunately the idea needs to take a back seat to more immediate concerns.

#60 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostTB Azrael, on 06 July 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Huh, where did you get that from? Justin had metal blades/spikes put on the left hand of either a Vindi or maybe Yen for one battle and there was some eluding too an far desendant adding a hatchet but that's about it.

While I would like to see some Melee eventually, they have enough core issues they need to fix to survive as it is let alone complicating it more with melee.

Record Sheets were abstracted showing a "hatchet" to represent the melee weapon for whatever was mounted there, take a looksie: http://goodsects.got...te/pdf/3488.pdf That's why I said Hatchet.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users