Streak Cats... Again.

289 replies to this topic

#281 BlackAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostTarquelian, on 25 November 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

They are completely overpowered when 3 salvos can take out a fully armored 50 ton mech in less than 15 seconds and there's nothing that can be done about it.

What, like the way a Swayback can put three 30 point salvos into a single hit location at the same range, in the same amount of time without having to play Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes?

or a Gauss Cat (at even longer range)

or a UAC5 Cataphract?

or anyone of a dozen other builds I could name?

Lets face a few home truths as to why the Streak Cat is getting so much hate. It's really simple. Most of you suck. Most of you are morons who charge straight at the nearest red icon and start blazing away and then rage quit when said target out thinks you, out manoeuvres you and then blows you away.

If the Streak Cat gives you high blood pressure, you're going to have a stroke when we get a jump capable lazer boat, like the Blackjack.

#282 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Streakcats are prevalent because players are SICK and TIRED of being destroyed by the Jenner zerg. Every player with half a brain loads SSRMs into their missile hard points just to defend against lights. This is a twitch game and lights rule the roost.

At the current time a Jenner running 140kph+ has more armor then an Atlas. Not being hit is the best defense in the game. SSRM are the only thing which evens the odds - and just a little.

Balance lights (collision) stop the Jenner zerg and you will see people dust off their PPCs and other underused weapons. Until then the Streak Cat will have a healthy dose of pilots. Losing to the Jenner zerg is just not fun.

Edited by General Pace, 26 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#283 Freeride Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostPredator01cz, on 25 November 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

tl;dr streak cats are controversial at best, but not OP

They're controversial for a reason. What is the reason?

I think the only Streakboat apologists are the ones who run them all the time with no interest in running anything else because a Streakcat is stupidly easy to pilot & do well with & it very easily wins matches. If more players could exploit the Streakcats weaknesses then maybe there'd be no controversy, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

#284 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostFreeride Forever, on 26 November 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

They're controversial for a reason. What is the reason?

I think the only Streakboat apologists are the ones who run them all the time with no interest in running anything else because a Streakcat is stupidly easy to pilot & do well with & it very easily wins matches. If more players could exploit the Streakcats weaknesses then maybe there'd be no controversy, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Meh, they win matchs when the teams are made up of lots of light and medium mechs.

When you see heavier mechs on the field, streak cats do poorly.

#285 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostGeneral Pace, on 26 November 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

Streakcats are prevalent because players are SICK and TIRED of being destroyed by the Jenner zerg. Every player with half a brain loads SSRMs into their missile hard points just to defend against lights. This is a twitch game and lights rule the roost.

At the current time a Jenner running 140kph+ has more armor then an Atlas. Not being hit is the best defense in the game. SSRM are the only thing which evens the odds - and just a little.

Balance lights (collision) stop the Jenner zerg and you will see people dust off their PPCs and other underused weapons. Until then the Streak Cat will have a healthy dose of pilots. Losing to the Jenner zerg is just not fun.

No.

People are playing streak cats because they are overpowered, right now.

I prefer to play Jenners, myself, but it's just pointless since they buffed streaks. Thus, to raise awareness of this issue, I am playing streak-cats.

It is stupidly easy to kill ANY mech, 1v1 or even 1v3, in a streak-cat. All of this bro-slapping and e-peen swinging about shooting ears off, or engaging from range is nonsense. At ~85kph, and fully armored, there's no way you're staying beyond 270m from me. In the time it takes you to shoot off my ears I'll have killed you and your buddy... twice.

In my personal opinion, the only long-term solution is to remove Streak-SRMs from the game, entirely. With the aiming mechanic there is no real reason to have them, and "always hit" weapons will be virtually impossible to balance properly.

Make SSRMs a cute story to tell the grand-kids about.

#286 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostKunae, on 26 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

In my personal opinion, the only long-term solution is to remove Streak-SRMs from the game, entirely. With the aiming mechanic there is no real reason to have them, and "always hit" weapons will be virtually impossible to balance properly.

May as well remove LRMs while we are at it.

#287 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostPurlana, on 26 November 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

May as well remove LRMs while we are at it.

Considered that, but LRMs(At least the IS version) have built-in drawbacks: High ammo usage, tonnage/Crit-space-usage, lock maintaining, minimum-range, etc.

Streaks really have none of these.

#288 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostKunae, on 26 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

No.

People are playing streak cats because they are overpowered, right now.

I prefer to play Jenners, myself, but it's just pointless since they buffed streaks. Thus, to raise awareness of this issue, I am playing streak-cats.

It is stupidly easy to kill ANY mech, 1v1 or even 1v3, in a streak-cat. All of this bro-slapping and e-peen swinging about shooting ears off, or engaging from range is nonsense. At ~85kph, and fully armored, there's no way you're staying beyond 270m from me. In the time it takes you to shoot off my ears I'll have killed you and your buddy... twice.

We can agree to disagree.

Thanks for posting a reasonable argument rather then a flame.

/respect

Edited by General Pace, 26 November 2012 - 11:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users