Streak Cats... Again.

289 replies to this topic

#261 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Streaks arnt overpowered. Every other weapon is underpowered because of the crappy netcode. When I shoot Catapults in the face with lasers it registers NO DAMAGE (or it hits their arms or legs instead). Even with 50ms ping, I actually have to lead CATAPULTS with LASERS. Its ridiculous. Like the other day when I was playing, this Catapult was moving 70-75kph perpendicular to me. I shot about 1-2cm in front of him with my lasers, CLEARLY MISSED on my screen, and he exploded and died. The netcode was never this bad before, back in August when I first joined, I could even hit Jenners reliably with lasers when they were going ~140kph. So the netcode has really gotten worse, and combined with the FPS choppiness from the most recent patch, theres really no reason not to use anything but Streaks right now.

Edited by Khobai, 25 November 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#262 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 25 November 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Got a new Computer. Got good frame rates. Streak Cats suck up close! Don't NERF them Its good that they suck! We need Mechs like this to beat the Clans.

You are aware that in the current timeframe the Clans, and only the clans have SSRM6s?

#263 Tarquelian

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

They are completely overpowered when 3 salvos can take out a fully armored 50 ton mech in less than 15 seconds and there's nothing that can be done about it.

View PostPredator01cz, on 25 November 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

It's just another role in the mech group. I guard all the atlases from annoying jenners and commandos. Too powerful when you get in a position for which it's specialized? Well then you just get what you were asking for. It may deal a lot of damage, but at the same time it may be declawed really easily.
Also there's plenty of light mech pilots mastering the art of lagging and making it impossible to get a lock at all + The removal of collision makes it possible for lights to just run "through" the cat making him lose his lock.
And the best part is when there are streak cats on both teams and they happen to bump into one another with the rest of their teams dealing with the rest of the other team. running in circles dealing the exact same amount of damage to one another makes them both end up without their ears (in a better case, otherwise one ends up dead and the other one crippled to the point of being killed by any beesting) and staring at one another like "well, now what?"
tl;dr streak cats are controversial at best, but not OP

#264 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

I hadn't played since the match and thought everyone was exaggerating about SSRMs.

Then I played a few matches today, each with a minimum of 2 Streakcats wrecking everything without trying.

Oh how wrong I was.

#265 Churzy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

I've heard they'll be nerfing SSRMs... however, I'd say that the problem isn't SSRMs themselves, but boating. Catapult Variants have a bit too many Missile hardpoints. I know it's the idea of Catapults, but still, it's what is allowing them to circumvent the natural limitation of SSRMs - A very small launcher (at least until Clan tech makes an appearance).

In regular Mechs with limited Missile hardpoints, SRMs and SSRMs are completely fine. So I'd say they should take a look at the A1 variant, which is kind of redundant anyway.

In any case, for the time being, and as cheesy as they are, Streak Cats are a necessary evil as they are the only actual counter to lag-shielded Jenners.

#266 Red Klown X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • LocationMontpellier

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Streak Cat dont need to nerf , it s not a so powerfull mech !

He look like dominating the battlefield atm because we dont play in team , premade 8vs8 .

Most of the game are just run , lock , shoot until you down .

If we respect the rigth gameplay needed in a game like this , where you can face to different type of mech and firepower that s will no happend in a game with teamplay :

phase 1 : scout and gathering info for the team , dont engage , show us what we face !

pĥase 2 : engaging , focus , call target . ( Streak will be certainly primary due to their DOT ) A good team can take down a mech in 4-6 secondes , even if you jump ;) . Firepower and Aim is the key .

So yes for the moment the streak cat look like great , but its only if the other team , let you play !
Yes if a streak cat stay at the end hes op ! But this is not a 1vs1 game ! he dont need to be balance ! It s a combinaison of type of mech / units !

So please stop to think your single player mentality ! This game it s about teamplay ! The good question is , how the game can push the people who dont care about the teamplay to be involved in a group ?

#267 MWHawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostChurzy, on 25 November 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

I've heard they'll be nerfing SSRMs... however, I'd say that the problem isn't SSRMs themselves, but boating. Catapult Variants have a bit too many Missile hardpoints. I know it's the idea of Catapults, but still, it's what is allowing them to circumvent the natural limitation of SSRMs - A very small launcher (at least until Clan tech makes an appearance).

In regular Mechs with limited Missile hardpoints, SRMs and SSRMs are completely fine. So I'd say they should take a look at the A1 variant, which is kind of redundant anyway.

In any case, for the time being, and as cheesy as they are, Streak Cats are a necessary evil as they are the only actual counter to lag-shielded Jenners.

Sigh.. everyone has something sure to complain about..

#268 Purlana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Streak cats are weaker against heavier mechs.

Any half decent Gauss Cat, AC/20 Cat, Atlas, or Cataphract should be able to take one down with ease.

Edited by Purlana, 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#269 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

You are aware that in the current timeframe the Clans, and only the clans have SSRM6s?

Yeah... I know. But I don't see what I'm facing as OP, compared to the might that is coming. I see it as forging my skills to face a better armed enemy. If players are complaining this much over SSRM2s they better just quit now, cause the real cheese has yet to be unleashed. I wanna keep facing tough opponents so I can be somewhat prepared for the Clans might.

A 50 ton Nova WILL eat an atlas for lunch. So we better learn how to handle the Energy Swaybacks.

3 LRMs? Nothing compared to the 8 LRM15 carrying Kraken3. GaussPult=Glass Spider.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 26 November 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#270 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

View PostPurlana, on 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

Streak cats are weaker against heavier mechs.

Any half decent Gauss Cat, AC/20 Cat, Atlas, or Cataphract should be able to take one down with ease.

Seriously? Any half decent streak cat could defeat 2 of any of the above at the same time by shaking the screen of the 1 so it can't aim at all and jump jetting around enough that the other can't get a good shot in.

#271 Purlana

• 1,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Seriously? Any half decent streak cat could defeat 2 of any of the above at the same time by shaking the screen of the 1 so it can't aim at all and jump jetting around enough that the other can't get a good shot in.

So I guess fighting a quad AC/5 Cataphract or LRM boat is any better?

If you can't hit a jump jetting Cat, god help you vs a Jenner.

Learn to adjust...

Edited by Purlana, 26 November 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#272 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

I agree that the shake and the smoke needs to be toned down (ideally you should only get the level of shake you currently do from an entire volley), but vs experienced mechs that don't panic and keep returning fire i regularly have to disengage/explode in a shower of metal. It's actual DPS is pitiful for a brawling heavy.

#273 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

A good solution would be to just make AMS actually hit SRMs and Streaks. If you could cut down some of their damage in this way; A1s wouldn't be so stupidly OP anymore. Part of the problem is that Streaks are braindead easy to aim with, so why not have the AMS shoot down some of the missiles?

#274 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostBluten, on 26 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

A good solution would be to just make AMS actually hit SRMs and Streaks. If you could cut down some of their damage in this way; A1s wouldn't be so stupidly OP anymore. Part of the problem is that Streaks are braindead easy to aim with, so why not have the AMS shoot down some of the missiles?

AMS does engage SSRM (and i think SRM, but i don't really use those enough to say for sure). It just doesn't have enough time to react to 12 missiles fired at sub 100m very well.

It's a tricky one to balance too, AMS is already quite effective vs sporadic LRM fire, and in groups it only gets stronger. Buff AMS too much in an attempt to neuter streaks, and you further mess up LRMS.

#275 Tasorin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationCartman 3050 HQ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Fix hit detection and the net code and all of the sudden SRM+Artemis comes back envouge. As soon as you recognize a Streak Cat, put your medium and long range dps on them ASAP and burn them down.

#276 xxx WreckinBallRaj xxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

View Postsuperteds, on 26 November 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

AMS does engage SSRM (and i think SRM, but i don't really use those enough to say for sure). It just doesn't have enough time to react to 12 missiles fired at sub 100m very well.

It's a tricky one to balance too, AMS is already quite effective vs sporadic LRM fire, and in groups it only gets stronger. Buff AMS too much in an attempt to neuter streaks, and you further mess up LRMS.
I've yet to see AMS do anything at all vs SRMs or Streaks. Even if even fires, I doubt it hits any missiles before they slam into you. Also, making AMS effect Streaks wouldn't do anything to LRMs. More people might have an AMS, but that alone wouldn't neuter LRMs.

#277 Murzao

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

Streaks do the same damage as 1 Medium Laser...they're so OP!

Streakcats are easy kills just don't let them lock on to you. Or at the very least turn away after you fire so you spread their damage out.

You'd have to be a really bad pilot to get cored in 3 salvos from a streak cat.

I killed one in a stock Jenner in a 1v1 duel a few days ago to end a match to win a game....not even that hard imo.

And no I don't pilot one because they are terrible.

#278 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

1 on 1, I will beat a streak cat every time with my 6SRM6 cat. Oh wait, you need to be able to shoot with the SRM6 :wacko:

#279 Purlana

• 1,647 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Only a lighter mech should have problems with a streak cat. A Jenner can probably down your Atlas just as fast as that streak cat.

Edited by Purlana, 26 November 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#280 Pugastrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationOn Top of Your Dead Mech

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

I love the people saying: "Fight from Greater than 270 Range"

O.k. so lets look at the list of weapons that actually have "killing power" with longer range than this. Missles MRMs & LRMs aren't really killers, they are softeners, so we'll skip those. How about laser weaponry? We have Large Lasers... Even assault mechs have a hard time mounting more than 2 of these. Finally you have sniper weapons. O.k. fine I agree PPCs (despite being terrible) & Gause Rifles can counter streak cats.

So if PPCs & Gause are the solutions... exactly how long does it take to close the range difference? Roughly 10 seconds. So a Streak cat is "helpless" (even on an entirely open battlefield) for all of 10 seconds. Is this really a weakness?

Four part Solution:

Part One: The real "fix" for streaks is to slash the range from 270 to something like 150. That lets most beam weapons outrange them, and gives light mech pilots a chance to actually kill a streak cat if they have a skilled pilot (dancing at the 200 meter range).

Part Two: The screen shake really needs to be toned down.

Part Three: AMS should work on them

Part Four: Missles need to hit more randomly, they are way too concentrated.

Edited by Pugastrius, 26 November 2012 - 09:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users